• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I will say
as someone that actively didn't care for Steve being in the game, and also as much as people have been negative towards him for this same reason im gonna list

but the fact that he truly is a near 1:1 recreated into Smash, animations and all
to the point that he genuinely looks like a dumpy Brawl mod but made official

is so goofy and silly that it honestly warmed me up to him, just off of the presentation
now, im definitely not interested in being up early to watch the breakdown live, but i'm definitely starting to get on board with it
plus Steve seems to finally be a character with a weapon craft/weapon upgrade gimmick so im definitely interested in him mechanically

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It's funny because if you look at the stuff that differs aesthetically... a lot of it is pretty unpopular...

Mario Bros, 75m, Balloon Fight stage, every single Flat Zone, Dream Land GB, Flying Man, Boss Galaga...

And then stuff like Lakitu, Excitebikes, Infantry & Tanks didn't even return. Now we're down to what, Sheriff and Pong? And Pong is like G&W... how else are you gonna do it? Oh, I guess there's also Akira, and people like him... if are not just indifferent.

And then there's Pac-Land.

It's a good case that Steve wouldn't be the first thing in the entire game like that. But that wasn't what people were saying. It's not the best case insofar as why people wouldn't dislike it, given the precedent...
I mean, most of that stuff is unpopular due to how they work mechanically. The aesthetics are not the problem.

75m, Mario Bros., and Balloon Fight are stages on which it is extremely easy to camp. 75m in particular is super toxic to play on. I know this from experience. There's also Mario Bros. Shellcreepers which aren't the most popular due to their strange knockback.

The Flat Zones are unpopular because of how small they are. The blast zones are tiny as hell.

Dream Land GB is a moving stage, which have proven to be generally unpopular overall since their introduction in Melee.

Flying Man is disliked for similar reasons to Yellow Devil, i.e. it's a little bit too disruptive for some people's tastes.

Boss Galaga is disliked for the same reason as the Beetle, because it kills way too early, and you have to mash to escape it.

The only thing of these that I've seen actually dismissed due to its aesthetic is Pac-Land. Which makes sense. (And it doesn't help that it's also hated mechanically.)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, most of that stuff is unpopular due to how they work mechanically. The aesthetics are not the problem.

75m and Balloon Fight are stages on which it is extremely easy to camp. 75m in particular is super toxic to play on. I know this from experience.

The Flat Zones are unpopular because of how small they are. The blast zones are tiny as hell.

Dream Land GB is a moving stage, which have proven to be generally unpopular overall since their introduction in Melee.

Flying Man is disliked for similar reasons to Yellow Devil, i.e. it's a little bit too disruptive for some people's tastes.

Boss Galaga is disliked for the same reason as the Beetle, because it kills way too early, and you have to mash to escape it.

The only thing of these that I've seen actually dismissed due to its aesthetic is Pac-Land. Which makes sense. (And it doesn't help that it's also hated mechanically.)
Yeah, I kinda agree with all these points. The aesthetic of these items/stages isn't the problem, it's they're mechanically not fun, them having the sprite-like look is just a coincidence.

Seriously

**** Flying Man so hard lol.

.....Granted, I also don't mind Pac Land's graphics(Albeit I'd 100% rather have Pac Maze back).

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Also I'm not sure what people mean by "He doesn't fit the Smash style"
Sure some of them had altered designs but most of those characters haven't seen the light of day in years and most likely need a touch up to properly implement them.
To me, there is no "Smash style" and the best appeal of Smash comes from weird and diverse characters standing along side each other.
You are confusing genre or source material with art style. Characters from completely different eras, genres, professions etc in Smash still have consistent elements to their Smash designs, which is what creates the "Smash style". In Brawl it was "grainy mature realism" but in 4 and Ultimate it's more stylized, saturated while still maintaining high-detailed elements.

Take a look at any character in Smash with say, metal on them. They're all rendered in a similar style. The metal on Marth's boots is consistent with the metal on Simon's boots is consistent with the metal on Meta Knight's mask and gauntlets and even the studs on Duck Hunt Dog's collar or the links in Ness and Banjo's backpacks. For characters with fabric you can see the stitching whether it be Ness or Little Mac's shorts, Mario's overalls, Robin's coat, whatever.

What about "featureless" characters that are just fleshy beings like Kirby, Pikachu, Luma or Pacman? They deliberately lack detail because it would detract from their designs (consider how Pikachu only seems to have fur in the anime when it needs to be scuffed up, or how they avoided going for a Detective Pikachu style). Meanwhile, actual animals or beasts have proper fur and feathers and scales, whether they be gorillas or space dinosaurs. Characters like Pirahna Plant blur the line with their simple head but their very plantlike stem and leaves and their realistically rendered pot. But it's not rocket science as to why they didn't give Pirahna Plant the same treatment they gave, say, Ridley.

The point is, there is an actual consistent ART STYLE that dictates what materials should look like, what elements get detail, what elements do -not- get detail. You do not make a game that looks as stunning as Smash by not having a set style. Whole teams of people have to work on presenting the character as high quality as possible while appeasing their original owners and also making cohesive sense next to each other.

There is an actual "Smash style". Steve just got to ignore it entirely.

D

Deleted member

I think this is the best example to show how characters are adapted to fit together within Smash.

If you can't spot the difference here, I've got bad news.
It's funny because if you look at the stuff that differs aesthetically... a lot of it is pretty unpopular...

Mario Bros, 75m, Balloon Fight stage, every single Flat Zone, Dream Land GB, Flying Man, Boss Galaga...

And then stuff like Lakitu, Excitebikes, Infantry & Tanks didn't even return. Now we're down to what, Sheriff and Pong? And Pong is like G&W... how else are you gonna do it? Oh, I guess there's also Akira, and people like him... if are not just indifferent.

And then there's Pac-Land.

It's a good case that Steve wouldn't be the first thing in the entire game like that. But that wasn't what people were saying. It's not the best case insofar as why people wouldn't dislike it, given the precedent...
What would you want them to do with Steve then?

Give Steve realistic features, but with a square body?

It is quite cursed.

And the whole promotional art idea just wouldn't make Steve pop out all that much. Sakurai designed Steve this way not because he is lazy. It took him a long time and a ton of effort to make hit. Steve was designed to be a blocky avatar, not a 3D character. He designed Steve this way, because he wanted Steve to pop out as a unique fighter.

Learn from this DLC. Sakurai loves making unique characters for the DLC.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
But, if the character did have an appearance more in line with every other character, I suspect there'd be overall fewer complaints. And, if I can make a presumption here - I don't think the people who are saying they prefer it this way would be that bothered by a character simply fitting the norm... because that's the preconception everyone holds about every inclusion, and thus nothing would be amiss. No one would be the wiser.
I'm not sure if this is your personal belief, but I think there shouldn't be a norm for how a character looks. Such as, everyone should look clean and nicely when you look at them standing side to side. I feel like that kills the buzz of having a crossover in the first place. Seeing drastically different art styles come together is apart of the fun for me. I think Steve is fine the way he is because that is how he looks in-game, just as a character like Mr. Game & Watch looks and behaves exactly like he does from the G&W series. I feel like touching up Steve would do more harm than good, personally, because then it's not Steve. Then it's a slightly better looking Steve, and Steve, by design, is supposed to be ugly and outdated looking like the Minecraft art-style itself.

But, this is an entirely subjective subject, and there is no right or wrong answer. People see these things differently.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess that's my real question, how else would you even do Steve? Because there's no way in hell just using the promo art's textures would be enough, he'd still be blocky, that's his visual identity. It's not even really fair to compare it to other characters, because every other character has enough to make an adaptable appearance, even in the case of like, Ice Climbers, who had artwork outside of pixelated confines of their game. Even the comparison with Banjo, his redesign is heavily based on the 64 promo renders.

Steve doesn't have that luxury, he's always his blocky self whether it's in the game or out. Even if they did use the plastic look of the promo art, he would still clash with the rest of the roster.
I don't think anyone is saying his anatomy need be changed. Though they did do that with Enderman, didn't they. And Bayonetta. But no, it's not his anatomy. Making any big changes to that would indeed be unnecessary imo. He doesn't need a total redesign, it's just cleaning up the textures a bit to make them look like they weren't directly ripped from his game.

As to how much that would aid in him fitting in, that's subjective. To some I'm sure it would be enough. To some, such as myself, the character is just inherently jarring, and I've said as much for as long as he's been part of discussion. But, personally, a cleaner appearance would make him less jarring.

I don't think it's too crazy as to why some people would prefer the cast to look like they were actually designed to be in Smash, and not just yanked from elsewhere. Even if one disagrees, I think that's still an understandable stance to wrap your head around. Much like I understand why some find his implementation novel. I agree it's novel. I just don't see eye to eye with those who think it's preferable. But that's subjectivity for you.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What would you want them to do with Steve then?

Give Steve realistic features, but with a square body?

It is quite cursed.

And the whole promotional art idea just wouldn't make Steve pop out all that much. Sakurai designed Steve this way not because he is lazy. It took him a long time and a ton of effort to make hit. Steve was designed to be a blocky avatar, not a 3D character. He designed Steve this way, because he wanted Steve to pop out as a unique fighter.

Learn from this DLC. Sakurai loves making unique characters for the DLC.
No, he doesn't.
He's made it quite clear over his many posts the slight altercations he think would work to make Steve more fitting to Smash
Continually bringing up fake images of weird realistic Steves is missing the point and misrepresenting his argument, in other words, a strawman.

Personally... I don't like it. But I was never considering playing him extensively to begin with, so it's no big loss to me. Design decisions like this are just one of many minor ones I have that ultimately don't matter to most people.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I prefer him being ripped straight from the game, others don't. It's all good though, not everyone is going to agree on that and that is okay. It'd be impossible to please everyone, even if he was cleaned up a bit.

I just hope Steve fans aren't trying to convince others that they should be okay with how he looks if they aren't okay with it, because that's just reinforcing an echo-chamber type environment. We all come from different backgrounds and with different tastes, and a diversity of opinion is what makes discussion here so enriching at times.

As long as everyone acknowledges that we are discussing subjectivity and not objectivity, I think we're having a good discussion.

D

Deleted member

Personally... I don't like it. But I was never considering playing him extensively to begin with, so it's no big loss to me. Design decisions like this are just one of many minor ones I have that ultimately don't matter to most people.
Fair enough.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Now that I think about it, I wonder what Steve will look like when he's hit by Joker's Eiha or Inkling's... ink. Also, what will Kirby's hat look like?
Il
Anyone tired of cutscene Final Smashes? I'm not, but I think there's reason to be.
  • Yoshi
  • Fox
  • Captain Falcon
  • Falco
  • Wario
  • King Dedede
  • Olimar
  • Wolf
  • Megaman
  • Greninja
  • Shulk
  • Duck Hunt
  • Corrin
  • Bayonetta (...with a twist so that one's fine)
  • Ridley
  • Simon
  • Richter
  • King K. Rool
  • Incineroar
  • Joker
  • Hero
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Terry Bogard
  • Byleth
  • Min Min
  • Steve
So not even half of the roster... but only 7 of Ultimate's 19 Newcomers, including 4 Echo Fighters, don't have a cutscene Final Smash. (Cut echoes, and that drops to a whooping 3 newcomers without one, and 14 with one.)
What exactly was wrong with them
When I thought about it more, I think it had less to do with the invitation and more with the trailers themselves. While I think it's fine every once in a while, I think having it doesn't add much to the reveal trailers. Nonetheless, I think Steve not having one was a good move. Disagree? That's cool too. Anyways, in my opinion...
  • Terry's was alright.
    • The part where Geese jumps for it was pretty funny.
    • Besides, the preceding character trailers (Hero and Burger-King) didn't have it so it gave the impression that, while normal, it was also not normal.
    • Considering that SNK has had other characters in other fighting games (Iori Yagami in Arcana Hearts, Haohmaru in Soul Calibur VI, etc.), I think the buildup to Terry works here, since it could realistically be any of the characters shown in the video.
      • I think I would enjoy it more if I weren't spoiled on who it was, but that's my fault so I won't let that affect it.
  • Byleth's was just stupid.
    • It was funny in an ironic fashion, so there's that...
      • I liked that they used the in-game cutscene thingy for the conversation. I thought that was clever.
      • Personal bias aside, I saw him flying as ridiculous, as he never does this in game (without wings anyway).
      • The joke about swordsmen was lame.
      • Byleth turns into a girl, then flies again. That was pretty cheesy, too.
    • Now that I think about it, while I stand by my opinion that each one got worse (those three anyway), I don't think Byleth's trailer being stupid has anything to do with the invitation, which was just "there" for the sake of it. Remove it, and the trailer would still be just as silly. So I guess this one gets a pass because the invitation had no reason for being there.
  • Min Min's was alright until the letter showed up, which was when it got predictable what would happen.
    • Yes, it was predictable beforehand when we saw Kirby and Captain Falcon at the ramen shop, but this can be seen as a case of foreshadowing, akin to the horse in Hero's trailer or Isabelle mentioning Smash in her trailer.
    • At that point, I see the characters fighting over the invitation as filler for the trailer, since we already know who's going to get it based on the opening.
    • The animation was nice, but that's about it...
In conclusion, Min Min's reveal trailer sucks.
But it has certainly broken new ground in Smash.
Kek
So this is where you were hiding Junko Enoshima...
View attachment 288071

Don't forget Dante vs Phoenix vs Monster Hunter vs Amaterasu... Yeah I know debate with the last character don't normally happen I was just going with the Capcom flow.
Hm...
MUK.png

tumblr_6fd56dc5f55c906d8457aac897baed0a_cda025e9_250.gif
Anyways, I know you mentioned that Amaterasu isn't often brought up in Capcom "Wars"... I'm kind of curious as to why that is. She has the following that other typical "wants" get, but isn't brought up as much. Maybe it's because she's not the first thing (or one of the first things) you think of when you think "Capcom"? What do you think?
Less than 12 hours away from our next character massacre!

You guys prepared!?
Here's hoping for a Raz brawler.
What's that one?
We don't talk about that one.
Bruh.

If you're too young to know what "NSFW" means, you are too young to speak about it.
You mean the one that everyone thought was Doomguy?
Sothis pulling it out of nowhere for no reason was pretty bad, though.
I agree. : D
People are allowed to have different opinions.
I disagree. > : D

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because creative liberties were taken to make G&W fit within Smash and he is not, in fact, just an LCD ripped directly out of a G&W and somehow slapped into Smash.
Which now makes it better as people can fight against with each other of 2D ( :ultgnw: ) vs. 3D (Steve).

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
People shouldn't even have an issue with Steve looking like as he does in Minecraft. No one seems to bat an eye about:ultgnw:
He doesn't actually look like exactly like a Game and Watch game, is the thing. Compare;

He gained an outline, the trampoline now stetches under his weight, the negative space is now filled by what's behind him... He's got far higher resolution in Smash than he EVER had originally. You're confusing poses and references being recreated with replicating every detail down to the original.

Which now makes it better as people can fight against with each other of 2D ( :ultgnw: ) vs. 3D (Steve).
LITERALLY EVERY OTHER SMASH BROS CHARACTER IS IN 3D
WE HAVE HAD 3D GRAPHICS THAT LOOK LIKE THIS

FOR YEARS

when did voxels become the primary identifier for 3d graphics are we going backwards

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not sure if this is your personal belief, but I think there shouldn't be a norm for how a character looks. Such as, everyone should look clean and nicely when you look at them standing side to side. I feel like that kills the buzz of having a crossover in the first place. Seeing drastically different art styles come together is apart of the fun for me. I think Steve is fine the way he is because that is how he looks in-game, just as a character like Mr. Game & Watch looks and behaves exactly like he does from the G&W series. I feel like touching up Steve would do more harm than good, personally, because then it's not Steve. Then it's a slightly better looking Steve, and Steve, by design, is supposed to be ugly and outdated looking like the Minecraft art-style itself.

But, this is an entirely subjective subject, and there is no right or wrong answer. People see these things differently.
Honestly this goes well beyond just Steve.

A norm is just the common, typical way of handling a situation. It's not really an opinion thing, there is a norm in how Smash adapts the characters it includes. There is a general uniformity in art direction principles that has been addressed by Sakurai which aids in taking all these disparate series and preventing them from appearing to clash visually. Even stuff as seemingly innocuous as this:

Is this touched-up Mario no longer Mario? I'm not saying everyone needs a drastic redesign like Pit. Even Pit didn't.

I agree a huge part of Smash's charm is all the different series coming together, but there are people employed in the art team specifically tasked with adapting a style that can support so many different series. It's what makes Smash feel cohesive, while something like MUGEN or fan mods have no artistic "norm", no unified art department, and thus are and can be... cacophonous, really.

All crossover games worth their salt are going to have people in the art department devising styles to mitigate clashing. Well, unless you're deliberately trying to clash or are budget as **** and keep reusing the same Morrigan sprite. :p

TheBeastHimself

Well people have made the argument that G&W has been touched up a bit (shadows, outline, not ripped straight from an LCD screen) but Steve is ripped straight from his game and that makes a difference. Not my argument, but that's what I got from others.

LITERALLY EVERY OTHER SMASH BROS CHARACTER IS IN 3D
WE HAVE HAD 3D GRAPHICS THAT LOOK LIKE THIS

FOR YEARS

when did voxels become the primary identifier for 3d graphics are we going backwards
Well that image is a bit of an unfair comparison to Steve (unless you're simply exaggerating). There really isn't much you can do for him. I mean sure, you can give him some G&W touch ups but he's going to look ugly regardless. There's no panacea to Steve's design.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Now that I think about it, I wonder what Steve will look like when he's hit by Joker's Eiha or Inkling's... ink. Also, what will Kirby's hat look like?
Il
Anyone tired of cutscene Final Smashes? I'm not, but I think there's reason to be.
  • Yoshi
  • Fox
  • Captain Falcon
  • Falco
  • Wario
  • King Dedede
  • Olimar
  • Wolf
  • Megaman
  • Greninja
  • Shulk
  • Duck Hunt
  • Corrin
  • Bayonetta (...with a twist so that one's fine)
  • Ridley
  • Simon
  • Richter
  • King K. Rool
  • Incineroar
  • Joker
  • Hero
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Terry Bogard
  • Byleth
  • Min Min
  • Steve
So not even half of the roster... but only 7 of Ultimate's 19 Newcomers, including 4 Echo Fighters, don't have a cutscene Final Smash. (Cut echoes, and that drops to a whooping 3 newcomers without one, and 14 with one.)

When I thought about it more, I think it had less to do with the invitation and more with the trailers themselves. While I think it's fine every once in a while, I think having it doesn't add much to the reveal trailers. Nonetheless, I think Steve not having one was a good move. Disagree? That's cool too. Anyways, in my opinion...
  • Terry's was alright.
    • The part where Geese jumps for it was pretty funny.
    • Besides, the preceding character trailers (Hero and Burger-King) didn't have it so it gave the impression that, while normal, it was also not normal.
    • Considering that SNK has had other characters in other fighting games (Iori Yagami in Arcana Hearts, Haohmaru in Soul Calibur VI, etc.), I think the buildup to Terry works here, since it could realistically be any of the characters shown in the video.
      • I think I would enjoy it more if I weren't spoiled on who it was, but that's my fault so I won't let that affect it.
  • Byleth's was just stupid.
    • It was funny in an ironic fashion, so there's that...
      • I liked that they used the in-game cutscene thingy for the conversation. I thought that was clever.
      • Personal bias aside, I saw him flying as ridiculous, as he never does this in game (without wings anyway).
      • The joke about swordsmen was lame.
      • Byleth turns into a girl, then flies again. That was pretty cheesy, too.
    • Now that I think about it, while I stand by my opinion that each one got worse (those three anyway), I don't think Byleth's trailer being stupid has anything to do with the invitation, which was just "there" for the sake of it. Remove it, and the trailer would still be just as silly. So I guess this one gets a pass because the invitation had no reason for being there.
  • Min Min's was alright until the letter showed up, which was when it got predictable what would happen.
    • Yes, it was predictable beforehand when we saw Kirby and Captain Falcon at the ramen shop, but this can be seen as a case of foreshadowing, akin to the horse in Hero's trailer or Isabelle mentioning Smash in her trailer.
    • At that point, I see the characters fighting over the invitation as filler for the trailer, since we already know who's going to get it based on the opening.
    • The animation was nice, but that's about it...
In conclusion, Min Min's reveal trailer sucks.

Kek

Anyways, I know you mentioned that Amaterasu isn't often brought up in Capcom "Wars"... I'm kind of curious as to why that is. She has the following that other typical "wants" get, but isn't brought up as much. Maybe it's because she's not the first thing (or one of the first things) you think of when you think "Capcom"? What do you think?

Here's hoping for a Raz brawler.

You mean the one that everyone thought was Doomguy?

I agree. : D

I disagree. > : D
I’m not a huge fan of using the invitation idea for all the trailers. But it would seriously be hilarious if Dante, Vergil, and Nero fight over it. Like a huge brutal beat down.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I’m not a huge fan of using the invitation idea for all the trailers. But it would seriously be hilarious if Dante, Vergil, and Nero fight over it. Like a huge brutal beat down.
Dante, of course, would get impaled through the chest, as is the tradition.

TheBeastHimself

Honestly this goes well beyond just Steve.

A norm is just the common, typical way of handling a situation. It's not really an opinion thing, there is a norm in how Smash adapts the characters it includes. There is a general uniformity in art direction principles that has been addressed by Sakurai which aids in taking all these disparate series and preventing them from appearing to clash visually. Even stuff as seemingly innocuous as this:

Is this touched-up Mario no longer Mario? I'm not saying everyone needs a drastic redesign like Pit. Even Pit didn't.

I agree a huge part of Smash's charm is all the different series coming together, but there are people employed in the art team specifically tasked with adapting a style that can support so many different series. It's what makes Smash feel cohesive, while something like MUGEN or fan mods have no artistic "norm", no unified art department, and thus are and can be... cacophonous, really.

All crossover games worth their salt are going to have people in the art department devising styles to mitigate clashing. Well, unless you're deliberately trying to clash or are budget as **** and keep reusing the same Morrigan sprite. :p
Thank you for elaborating, I have a much better idea of where you're coming from. And you're right, there is a standard to make everything come together in a much more cohesive way.

The only thing I'll say is, a character with such a dumb design like Steve doesn't benefit from that type of uniformity, at least in my opinion. Let's say they cleaned up the model, make it look all nice and such. We'll still be looking at a stupid character design. I just don't see much you can do aside from cleaning the dirt off his skin.

If you upgrade his clothing to make it realistic like Mario's overalls, for example, then his skin is going to stand out. And you can't give Steve realistic skin because then it wouldn't look like Minecraft anymore.

Steve is just such an enigma that I think it's respectable to find him both jarring or hilarious.

There's really nothing you can do for him because you either touch him up (which will still make him look dumb), or you can touch him up to the point where he doesn't feel like a Minecraft character anymore, which defeats the purpose. I don't see a middle ground at the moment.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone is saying his anatomy need be changed. Though they did do that with Enderman, didn't they. And Bayonetta. But no, it's not his anatomy. Making any big changes to that would indeed be unnecessary imo. He doesn't need a total redesign, it's just cleaning up the textures a bit to make them look like they weren't directly ripped from his game.

As to how much that would aid in him fitting in, that's subjective. To some I'm sure it would be enough. To some, such as myself, the character is just inherently jarring, and I've said as much for as long as he's been part of discussion. But, personally, a cleaner appearance would make him less jarring.

I don't think it's too crazy as to why some people would prefer the cast to look like they were actually designed to be in Smash, and not just yanked from elsewhere. Even if one disagrees, I think that's still an understandable stance to wrap your head around. Much like I understand why some find his implementation novel. I agree it's novel. I just don't see eye to eye with those who think it's preferable. But that's subjectivity for you.
I understand why people would want visual cohesiveness, 100%. I just think at the end of the day, Steve was always going to look out of place because it's Steve. In my opinion, there's really nothing you can do to make him blend in perfectly like everyone else, just because he clashes so much with the typical "Smash style". I genuinely don't think any amount of texture work would actually make a difference. It's like those HD texture packs for 64 games, sure he could have been cleaned up and SmashifiedTM, but it would've just been high quality textures on a low quality body. And then what of the stage? Should the Smash team have basically made it's own Minecraft texture pack and lost the iconic visual identity of Minecraft's world? There again is the problem of essentially throwing high quality textures on low quality meshes.

I don't think having it clash is preferable. But I do think having it clash was inevitable. I just feel that Minecraft is such a special case for so many reasons that there's really nothing that it can be fairly compared to, and the only solutions the team had were to accept that it's going to clash, or to have thrown Steve out the pixelated window.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Scenario: Sakurai presentation, he mentions that something looks strange about Steve, as you've no doubt noticed, he's directly ripped from Minecraft. Steve is actually still in development and won't be released until 2021, all this time was spent making him function, so now they have to actually work on everything else.

:yeahboi:

TheBeastHimself

Scenario: Sakurai presentation, he mentions that something looks strange about Steve, as you've no doubt noticed, he's directly ripped from Minecraft. Steve is actually still in development and won't be released until 2021, all this time was spent making him function, so now they have to actually work on everything else.

:yeahboi:
We expect Steve to look roughly like this by the time 2021 comes around. Please stay tuned.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think you should share with us what you have. Sure it won't change what Sakurai implemented, but at least we can see what your ideas were, what you were thinking, and how you viewed the character, and ultimately see how passionate you were about the character and that is NEVER pointless.
okay, if you insist...

Basically, my Steve had much more of a focus on recourse management. He would spawn with an inventory (pre-determined), and he would have to choose how to use it. Shield Special was going to be Crafting Table, where he would place a

Dirt (x10): Basic block, it can be used for standard block purposes, but is very fragile (my idea for blocks didn't have them automatically deteriorate, but they could be hit and destroyed).

Wood Planks (x15): Can be crafted into sticks, and also used as a block. Flammable.

Cobblestone (x10): Can be used for both crafting and terraforming. It's a bit more resilient.

Gravel (x3): A block that obeys gravity. When destroyed, turns into flint (all other blocks don't leave anything)

Iron ingots (x10). The most versatile item, it can be used to make weapons, flint and steel, an almost invulnerable block, and armor (reduces damage taken by 10%)

There was probably more but that's all I remember. Up B was an ender pearl.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Maybe that's it, she's not exactly the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about Capcom. When it come down to it outside of those who want her in, people often say (I could be wrong) "She's not my first Capcom pick but if she got in I'd be alright with her" or something similar.

It's like she's in state of Limbo. She just not high enough on the wanted list of some people compared to someone like Dante, or Phoenix, yet she still unique enough in appearance, and mechanicas to stand out and catch some attention from others.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I understand where people are coming from when they say that promo Steve would look too "simple"... but we do have characters like Pikachu, Pac-Man, and Kirby. The latter of whom was created to have a deliberately simple design.

Not every character needs to have Samus or Simon level complexity to their design.

Personally, I don't understand what the problem would be with something like this:

I think it fits within Ultimate as much as you can hope for from a character like Steve. And fwiw, so did many Steve fans, as per their comments.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
like i don't see the issue with how Steve looks in Smash...

maybe I'm missing something but how was he "supposed" to look and move?
This:
1601699665267.png

He should look like he's made out of toy blocks, not PS1 textures.

I am not saying you have to love Steve's design, but saying it doesn't fit in Smash is quite dumb.
I guess I missed the part where Sakurai put Simon in looking like this. Or Ice Climbers looked like this.

Smash characters DON'T look the way they do in their own games. They look like Amiibos brought to life(because they basically are).

I just think Steve in Smash is implemented very nicely, because I like how it literally looks like someone is playing Minecraft when they are playing Steve.
And I DON'T like that. Seeing a character get a cool new render is one of the things I love about Smash. Seeing Simon or Terry for the first time was quite joyous to me.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
IMO, that looks even more jarring than what we have.
I understand where people are coming from when they say that promo Steve would look too "simple"... but we do have characters like Pikachu, Pac-Man, and Kirby. The latter of whom was created to have a deliberately simple design.

Not every character needs to have Samus or Simon level complexity to their design.

Personally, I don't understand what the problem would be with something like this:

I think it fits within Ultimate as much as you can hope for from a character like Steve. And fwiw, so did many Steve fans, as per their comments.
This however, I can understand.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If I get Hayabusa in January, I'll know the nightmare of 2020 is over.

Well, that and a new President.
I mean, even if you don't get Hayabusa in January, the nightmare of 2020 will still be over. Y'know, cuz it'll be 2021.

That said, the patent's still pending on the Nightmare of 2021.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
okay, if you insist...

Basically, my Steve had much more of a focus on recourse management. He would spawn with an inventory (pre-determined), and he would have to choose how to use it. Shield Special was going to be Crafting Table, where he would place a

Dirt (x10): Basic block, it can be used for standard block purposes, but is very fragile (my idea for blocks didn't have them automatically deteriorate, but they could be hit and destroyed).

Wood Planks (x15): Can be crafted into sticks, and also used as a block. Flammable.

Cobblestone (x10): Can be used for both crafting and terraforming. It's a bit more resilient.

Gravel (x3): A block that obeys gravity. When destroyed, turns into flint (all other blocks don't leave anything)

Iron ingots (x10). The most versatile item, it can be used to make weapons, flint and steel, an almost invulnerable block, and armor (reduces damage taken by 10%)

There was probably more but that's all I remember. Up B was an ender pearl.
I like how he has a limited amount of supplies like a survivor from another world. It's basically saying "Hey I don't know how I got here but we're gonna make the best of it.

Reducing damage taken by 10% on the block is nice touch so you can craft a little longer. Unfortunately not having played Minecraft at all I don't know what ender pearls do.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I do understand your point, but I've got to imagine the English speaking world far outweighs the number of Smash fans. Not even counting Canada, Australia, the UK, or other countries, the US alone has more than 3x the population of Japan. It would be odd to me if half of all fans came from Japan.
Japan accounts 3.8 million out of 20 million sales. Way fewer than half actually.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The eyes look strange in particular.
Admittedly , he does have American Kirby eyebrows...

"How can we possibly make Steve look better? Who knows, it's impossible, don't even try to think about it"
Perfect.

To me its too Jarring to even be good. He looks so fake when stranding next to mario
Basically, every image with Steve in it looks like it was Photoshopped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom