• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
tbh, I like Max's newest video on the whole Steve debacle.
It's wild to me that a few people in a few other places actually tried to spin his reaction as negative when he's been completely rational about it.
"He's not for me but he's a dream come true for others whilst I had my dream come true with Terry and that's why Smash is great" aren't the words of an upset dood. Just someone who is whelmed and did an all-nighter of losing to Fatalis.

There's a lot I could say from this but it's honestly not worth the effort to make that post when people will just brush over it and go back to repeating the same tired old cycle. Someone else could make that post but that'd require them knowing my thoughts and well, I'm well kept unto myself.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, how would they make Steve fit in Ultimate's style though? Someone suggested the promotional art, but honestly, I can see people still complaining over that. I think Sakurai made the best decision on what to go with Steve.
This wasn't even a question before yesterday. Now Steve gets in bringing his own aesthetic with him and people can't fathom how it'd be different.

Like I said, there are other mockups out there, created for the purpose of emulating Smash style, that the fans have previously expressed positivity for.

And yes, people would still complain about it (I believe there would be fewer, as being in-line with the Smash aesthetic is the norm, but sure - there'd be complaints). But it's Steve, people are going to complain regardless. Scratch that, it's a new Smash character. Complaints come with the territory.

Also Steve being different and blocky compared to the others is quite charming in a way. If everything has to be "Smashified", do you want Mr. Game and Watch to have eyes and ears now?
Mr. Game & Watch has been Smashified as much as he can be without a drastic redesign. In his case, it's getting an outline around him so he doesn't clash with the stage. He's an outline, a shadow. There's only so much he can be altered. And even then he's been redesigned over time to reduce his bulkiness.

Steve is a character that has a z-axis, a colour palette, and multiple official renditions. It's not like he's without room for variation.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Maybe because I’m just not a huge Minecraft fan, but everyone here acting like a high grade graphic designer nick-picking over the look over Minecraft of all thing

But I also legitimately don’t know how else they could do it “properly”

What I can agree that his mural art is ****ing stupid, they really should had just drew him

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So curious question to everyone? What characters are you certain to be among the last four?

Me? I'm thinking Ryu Hayabusa and a Gen 8 Pokemon.
Yeah I think hayabusa will come, and I think he might be our next fighter. After having a more modern icon, it would be fitting to have a more classic icon to change things up and hopefully please as many people as possible.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I’m glad they went with the intentionally downgraded look—it’s like South Park, a lot of care and attention to detail is needed to capture that signature downgraded look in a new venue. A lot of the work is invisible, such as how the animations adapt to the moveset.

The reason I didn’t want Steve in was I didn’t feel like he “fit” in with Smash’s style, and still agree. That being said, if you’re going to do it, make it as weird looking as possible. Like the funny moments involving Mario or his house victory screen. That’s the charm.

D

Deleted member

Yep we can add it to our weekly repertoire, it is now
-Byleth discussion
-Pokemon discussion
-Geno discussion
-Obviously fake leak talk
-Steve design discussion
:strongbad:
I am going to say it again, but I would take Geno and Pokemon discussion over Steve design discussion instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You just don't get it, do you?

Steve is a different case. What do you want Steve to look like? Do you want Steve to look cursed like this?
"How can we possibly make Steve look better? Who knows, it's impossible, don't even try to think about it"

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
What exactly was wrong with them
My guess is that they prefer when the character trailer is more centered around the idea of the Characters' world interacting with the Smash world/the worlds of other characters.

i.e. "Hero rides in on horseback and saves Link from shadow clones" and "Steve nonchalantly watches Mario get murdered" vs. "This character picked up an envelope, now they're in Smash"

Granted, this is just speculation, and I don't even share the opinion, so I'm just tossin' crap out there.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The only time I raised the topic was right after the reveal, once, to give my take.

The rest of the time I have been responding to people who quoted me.

And I'm going to continue if people keep talking to me. We're conversing. And it's been all of one day that this conversation has existed.

If you don't like the topic, you need not engage. But there's no less productive contribution than complaining without even attempting to change things.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
What Steve has done for me, though, is restore my faith in the reveal trailers by going with a traditional one after we got three of them straight with the "Invitation". I was getting sick of it, and they got worse with each one.
I don't know, Terry and Min Min at least had other characters competing for it so at least it wasn't jarring seeing the envelope for both of them. Sothis pulling it out of nowhere for no reason was pretty bad, though.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
How on earth did you miss the cleaner look without the pixel vomit covering him, the smoother movement, and the fact that there's actual shading?
If you can't tell the difference between the in-game and promo designs, I guess that explains things...
This explains so much...
I just see ugly low poly block things moving about to me, same as Smash

I guess there is less detail in the promo video? But tbh I thought it was bit uglier to me, but that’s because I just hate minimalism in anything

Yeah, again sorry guys, maybe I just don’t have a careful artful eye for... blocks

Through, as someone who’s a fan of Castelvina fan, why could that franchise was allowed to reference it’s outdated NES quirks, but with Minecraft? Nah it’s has to be completely overhauled? lol

Again, not a Minecraft fan at a slightest though, so maybe I’m missing something

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I for one wouldn't mind "Realistic Steve"...
View attachment 288066
Jesus Christ

"How can we possibly make Steve look better? Who knows, it's impossible, don't even try to think about it"
TBH, this actually sort of flies into uncanny valley territory for me. I see where you're coming from with the shading and animation, but it just gives me this weird off feeling.

Seeing that has definitely made it easier to internally imagine Steve with say, a Mario-esqu run animation and move fluidity, but I still prefer what we got in the end. TBH, the more I look at it, the more I like the Jankiness of Steve's character animation in Smash. There's something oddly appealing about it.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
What people who think Steve looks fine because Smash has characters from all kinds of styles think Smash looks like:

View attachment 288064

Characters may come from a wide variety of games but Smash takes liberties with designs to make them all fit in with the Smash style. This isn't Mugen.

I get your point, but to be fair K. rool, Simon and Banjo (and other characters that are changed a lot like Ice climbers, Duck hunt, Pac-man etc.) are retro characters that the Smash team modernised to fit in a Switch game. Steve is already a modern character, so there was no need to change him. At least that's what I think that Sakurai and his team had in mind.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just see ugly low poly block things moving about to me, same as Smash

I guess there is less detail in the promo video? But tbh I thought it was bit uglier to me, but that’s because I just hate minimalism in anything

Yeah, again sorry guys, maybe I just don’t have a careful artful eye for... blocks

Through, as someone who’s a fan of Castelvina fan, why could that franchise was allowed to reference it’s outdated NES quirks, but with Minecraft? Nah it’s has to be completely overhauled? lol

Again, not a Minecraft fan at a slightest though, so maybe I’m missing something
If anything Castlevania is proof that fitting the art direction but being represented faithfully aren't mutually exclusive.

D

Deleted member

If you can't tell the difference between the in-game and promo designs, I guess that explains things...
No, I can tell the difference.

Let me explain.

Even if they used Steve's promotional art, there would still be complaints about how it doesn't fit in Smash, because it is still blocky and still shares some similar aspects to Steve ingame, even if it is more smooth and a bit more fluid.

I just think Steve in Smash is implemented very nicely, because I like how it literally looks like someone is playing Minecraft when they are playing Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm a little dissapointed I never got around to making a Steve moveset. I always had bigger fish to fry, and now he's in and a fan moveset would be pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom