• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
What do people define as a Deluxe Mii Costume? Ones that come with Music? Ones that look more accurate? Both?

I see Vault Boy get called Deluxe but he didn't come with music.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What do people define as a Deluxe Mii Costume? Ones that come with Music? Ones that look more accurate? Both?

I would call them PreMiium if they get a song. Ones that have a face mask aren’t enough imo

they could even not have a face mask and I’d still call them PreMiium if they get a song

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I normally don't like reaction videos because most of them are staged or massively exaggerated
But I think this one is very real
He had me at "Please no Rex."

I would say Amiibo and 7-11 Theory are the strongest theories we have. They have never failed us, so far. And we are 8 characters in.
Sadly, they're both theories that do nothing to tell us about future characters. Only release windows.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Mask completely replaces the head, and their portion of the Mii Costume trailer is more elaborate, with Sakurai talking about it after the trailer in the Sakurai Presents video.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Did he lose you at "If you like Steve, you are clinically ill?"
Hah! Yes. That's where the Thumbs up click changed to a Thumbs down.

I do agree with several of his points though. "low res bull****!" and "probably more quirky zoning ****s!"

He said he doesn't want Megaman in the game though. So **** him.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I normally don't like reaction videos because most of them are staged or massively exaggerated
But I think this one is very real
Of course it's from the same guy who got mad salty about Ridley getting in.

looking forward to the mii costume deconfirms, hope they deconfirm steve, would be hilarious
i don't know why people think that steve will get in smash as anything but a mii swordfighter costume

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I fail to see the significance of giving someone who's entire legacy is "Haha you're clinically ill if you like characters I don't" while screeching that Sakurai needs to stop validating 'the extra chromosones' and ****. This is just giving him exactly what he wants, attention. Just let the fully grown adult burst into tears every time Sakurai doesn't cater exclusively to him and ignore him lmao

volbound1700

Smash Master
Never played Minecraft but the character design and world concept seems to be pulled from the Lego toys. Everything about Steve's design screams LEGO.

BTW, I am the guy that whines and hates Joker being in. He struck me as an EMO Goth character from an obscure RPG franchise that I never heard of. When I heard his name, I was thinking about the villain from batman. I don't like the character, his world, etc. I felt we should have gotten a Crash or Rayman in his place. There is already a ton of JRPG characters in the game with Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc.

I still can't believe we have gotten some of the characters that we have received but haven't seen Crash, Rayman, Sora, etc. yet. Also, I am wondering why Resident Evil or Tomb Raider are not higher on the list, both series are iconic Japanese franchises.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
You know, who are the characters left who come close to Steve in terms of hype now? I think it's safe to say that Sora and Kratos are the only ones, I'd include Chief now but as we have 2 MS characters I feel that might lessen the shock
I think it's those two mainly.

LoL has a massive mostly-global reach, and has historically been so far removed from Nintendo that the hypotheoretical inclusion would cause a major shock. Maybe not "Break Twitter" levels, but close. The fact that it's been historically far removed from Nintendo would also spark some controversy I'd imagine, alongside other factors.

Fortnite is in a similar boat as LoL - again, massive reach, but while Fortnite's been on Nintendo consoles for a couple years now it's younger and thus more known (at least amongst those who don't play Fortnite) for being "that one video game that's famous because it's popular and collabs with Marvel and Star Wars". It wouldn't be as shocking I'd imagine, but hoo boy would it drive discussion and possible controversy.

Outside of those five, it becomes much more difficult to say who would even approach those:

Gordon Freeman could possibly come close, given that Valve's also been far removed from Nintendo and that announcement alone would be a massive shock by virtue of one of Steam's icons joining the fray.

CoD would also be coming close because of its built up reputation over the years. It would be controversial because of Activision's practices with the franchise as well as the old image of CoD being filled to the brim with people who rage. Still, it'd be such a steep contrast that it'd drive discussion by itself.

One could also argue Sims, because that series has more "quietly" defined an entire genre by itself. It would certainly get an entire segment of more "casual" video game players interested in Smash, although Sims has the problem of being under the EA umbrella.

Another that could come close would be a huge third party mobile entry (that would be the most controversial of the bunch I'd imagine). Angry Birds, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush, Monster Strike, Puzzle & Dragon, Azur Lane, the works. It would be especially controversial if the third party mobile game gets in before Dragalia for obvious reasons.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
looking forward to the mii costume deconfirms, hope they deconfirm steve, would be hilarious
It would actually mean there is a chance of a character getting both a Mii Costume, and a character at the same time, which would certainly shake things up. It'd be funny to see the people who thought it'd look bad's reactions though. (Though in all honesty I do think it would look weird, especially next to actual Steve.)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am wondering if any of you are billionaires or children of billionaires. You could offer Sakurai $ 15 million to make a special request character for the game as DLC. LOL. Win-win. You pay his team and Nintendo can profit by selling it public.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think Maximilian again has my favorite reaction. He’s once again the one person who shows how he legit feels without being fake or straight an ass. Like, he wasn’t happy with Steve because he has 0 affinity or interest in Minecraft but this quote basically sums up why Max is one of the best people on the web.

“This is dream come true material, is it my dream? No but this is absolutely dream come true material and I respect that. “

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think it's those two mainly.

LoL has a massive mostly-global reach, and has historically been so far removed from Nintendo that the hypotheoretical inclusion would cause a major shock. Maybe not "Break Twitter" levels, but close. The fact that it's been historically far removed from Nintendo would also spark some controversy I'd imagine, alongside other factors.

Fortnite is in a similar boat as LoL - again, massive reach, but while Fortnite's been on Nintendo consoles for a couple years now it's younger and thus more known (at least amongst those who don't play Fortnite) for being "that one video game that's famous because it's popular and collabs with Marvel and Star Wars". It wouldn't be as shocking I'd imagine, but hoo boy would it drive discussion and possible controversy.

Outside of those five, it becomes much more difficult to say who would even approach those:

Gordon Freeman could possibly come close, given that Valve's also been far removed from Nintendo and that announcement alone would be a massive shock by virtue of one of Steam's icons joining the fray.

CoD would also be coming close because of its built up reputation over the years. It would be controversial because of Activision's practices with the franchise as well as the old image of CoD being filled to the brim with people who rage. Still, it'd be such a steep contrast that it'd drive discussion by itself.

One could also argue Sims, because that series has more "quietly" defined an entire genre by itself. It would certainly get an entire segment of more "casual" video game players interested in Smash, although Sims has the problem of being under the EA umbrella.

Another that could come close would be a huge third party mobile entry (that would be the most controversial of the bunch I'd imagine). Angry Birds, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush, Monster Strike, Puzzle & Dragon, Azur Lane, the works. It would be especially controversial if the third party mobile game gets in before Dragalia for obvious reasons.
Ah **** I forgot all about League, good point. I also just remembered Lara Croft so she works too
I am wondering if any of you are billionaires or children of billionaires. You could offer Sakurai $ 15 million to make a special request character for the game as DLC. LOL. Win-win. You pay his team and Nintendo can profit by selling it public.
If anyone here had that kind of money we wouldn't be wasting our lives on here but instead be buying 4 yachts a day

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
With that kind of money I would just pay him to fix Ganondorf.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
He said he doesn't want Megaman in the game though. So **** him.
His rant on megaman was funny to me as a Megaman fanatic.

Never played Minecraft but the character design and world concept seems to be pulled from the Lego toys. Everything about Steve's design screams LEGO.

BTW, I am the guy that whines and hates Joker being in. He struck me as an EMO Goth character from an obscure RPG franchise that I never heard of. When I heard his name, I was thinking about the villain from batman. I don't like the character, his world, etc. I felt we should have gotten a Crash or Rayman in his place. There is already a ton of JRPG characters in the game with Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc.

I still can't believe we have gotten some of the characters that we have received but haven't seen Crash, Rayman, Sora, etc. yet. Also, I am wondering why Resident Evil or Tomb Raider are not higher on the list, both series are iconic Japanese franchises.
I can't help but feel like your trying to pick a fight with me.

Joker ain't emo, he's a socially awkward dork who can let his true cocky feelings out when he wears the Joker outfit.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Steve was deserving. I have plenty of characters that I wanted instead of him (including MasterChief) but you cannot argue against Minecraft's dominance and impact.

Regarding his design, let me point out a stupid design for an iconic character in Smash. Take Cloud. His sword is one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen. The think is unweldable as a fighter in a real life situation. Someone with a small Arab scimitar would dominate his butt. It is too large and unwieldy. His entire design looks stupid. (Byleth has similar issue with his stupid looking spear). Yet no one would argue that Cloud isn't iconic or doesn't deserve a spot.

I won't lie, I do hate these unrealistic looking weapons/armor in RPGs. They started doing that crap with the Diablo series, notably Diablo 3. One charm about Diablo 1 is that the weapons and scenario felt very real, dark, and medieval. Diablo 2 had some dumb looking weapons but most were real and cool looking. Then you got Diablo 3 who is full of junk weapons. This seems to be a common theme with RPGs lately.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Puzzles & Dragons would be kinda neat, but I'd have to wonder what they'd pick from the game. Would it be a Shynee and it's recolored blobby pals? Would they take one of the starters from Puzzles & Dragons Z? Would they take the main character from that game and have him summon a bunch of different monsters?

I don't think that's how it works to be honest. You might be successful, but I think they'd more likely turn you down.

If anyone here had that kind of money we wouldn't be wasting our lives on here but instead be buying 4 yachts a day
Slight correction, we'd buy 4 yachts, then get on those yachts and waste our lives here. lol

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It would actually mean there is a chance of a character getting both a Mii Costume, and a character at the same time, which would certainly shake things up. It'd be funny to see the people who thought it'd look bad's reactions though. (Though in all honesty I do think it would look weird, especially next to actual Steve.)
If Steve can't craft armor I'd assume diamond armor would be a Mii costume.

volbound1700

Smash Master
His rant on megaman was funny to me as a Megaman fanatic.

I can't help but feel like your trying to pick a fight with me.

Joker ain't emo, he's a socially awkward dork who can let his true cocky feelings out when he wears the Joker outfit.
Haha, sorry... He has his fanbase so I am happy for him and the fanbase (you don't know how difficult it was to type that).

Yet, I am still on the sideline waiting for Crash and Rayman. Ugh...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Steve can't craft armor I'd assume diamond armor would be a Mii costume.
That could work. I wouldn't say that'd be the same thing as the scenario PSIGuy PSIGuy presented.

Isn't that the same thing in todays lingo? :awesome:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Steve was deserving. I have plenty of characters that I wanted instead of him (including MasterChief) but you cannot argue against Minecraft's dominance and impact.

Regarding his design, let me point out a stupid design for an iconic character in Smash. Take Cloud. His sword is one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen. The think is unweldable as a fighter in a real life situation. Someone with a small Arab scimitar would dominate his butt. It is too large and unwieldy. His entire design looks stupid. (Byleth has similar issue with his stupid looking spear). Yet no one would argue that Cloud isn't iconic or doesn't deserve a spot.

I won't lie, I do hate these unrealistic looking weapons/armor in RPGs. They started doing that crap with the Diablo series, notably Diablo 3. One charm about Diablo 1 is that the weapons and scenario felt very real, dark, and medieval. Diablo 2 had some dumb looking weapons but most were real and cool looking. Then you got Diablo 3 who is full of junk weapons. This seems to be a common theme with RPGs lately.
To be fair they do explain WHY cloud can wield such a massive blade, he's kinda got that Captain America super soldier juice running inside him.

volbound1700

Smash Master
With that kind of money I would just pay him to fix Ganondorf.
Haha... I would pay them to fix the debauchery that is the Knuckles and Tails Mii Costumes. Make them like Sans. We don't need to see the Mii face.

I also think it would be nice to create custom victory themes for Miis so that I can play the Sonic victory theme when they win.

volbound1700

Smash Master
To be fair they do explain WHY cloud can wield such a massive blade, he's kinda got that Captain America super soldier juice running inside him.
Yeah, it is a fantasy world. Still heavy isn't always better when it comes to weapons. Heavy was used to crush armor but wasn't sometimes as effective in a fight that relies on speed and agility. Claymores were likely the heaviest swords used in combat and you actually held them above your head and crashed them down similar to an axe. They were not for jabbing or slicing like a normal sword.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Joker isn't really a gothic emo kid at all. Also the Persona series is far from obscure and it is pretty big itself.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Regarding his design, let me point out a stupid design for an iconic character in Smash. Take Cloud. His sword is one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen. The think is unweldable as a fighter in a real life situation. Someone with a small Arab scimitar would dominate his butt. It is too large and unwieldy. His entire design looks stupid. (Byleth has similar issue with his stupid looking spear).
Fun Fact: The greatsword is an actual weapon that was used in history. Not like that mind you, it's basically a polearm, but for cutting, and you'd mow down tons of soldiers in one sweep. It was...not made for 1v1's...or traveling.

Also, I think it was proven that the Buster Sword wouldn't actually be that heavy all things considered. As in, a normal person would be able to pick it up just fine. It's more the fact that it's a greatsword that stops it from being a realistic primary traveling weapon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom