• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Fun Fact: The greatsword is an actual weapon that was used in history. Not like that mind you, it's basically a polearm, but for cutting, and you'd mow down tons of soldiers in one sweep. It was...not made for 1v1's...or traveling.

Also, I think it was proven that the Buster Sword wouldn't actually be that heavy all things considered. As in, a normal person would be able to pick it up just fine. It's more the fact that it's a greatsword that stops it from being a realistic primary traveling weapon.
Interesting. Spears were pretty effective in combat but had to be used in formations with other people. Ancient battles were all about formations for some of the weapons to work. Spears wouldn't do much in one vs. one (granted they can be used to some effectiveness but a sword would be better).

The most classic spear formations were the Phalanx formations used by the Ancient Greeks and Macedonians. However, armies in the East also used spear formations effectively as well.

Ancient battles were very much about tactics, especially in the Hellenic/Roman Age in the West. (I understand European/Middle Eastern history better than China and Japan).

This is making me want to go play some Rome Total War lol.

My whole point is that people are trashing Steve's design but you have unusual design choices with several characters already in the game.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My whole point is that people are trashing Steve's design but you have unusual design choices with several characters already in the game.
As someone who likes how Steve looks, this is completely missing the point, people aren't complaining that Steve looks unrealistic, but how out of place he looks compared to literally every other fighter. If people cared about realism then they'd complain about every character except maybe Snake

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As someone who likes how Steve looks, this is completely missing the point, people aren't complaining that Steve looks unrealistic, but how out of place he looks compared to literally every other fighter. If people cared about realism then they'd complain about every character except maybe Snake
"There is no way a tiny drone like that could lift a full grown man!"

SKX31

Smash Master
Puzzles & Dragons would be kinda neat, but I'd have to wonder what they'd pick from the game. Would it be a Shynee and it's recolored blobby pals? Would they take one of the starters from Puzzles & Dragons Z? Would they take the main character from that game and have him summon a bunch of different monsters?
Honestly?

I have no clue who they'd pick (partly since I haven't played that game at all). I know that it's huge in Japan and Nintendo has directly gotten involved with the 3DS port and how Nintendo promoted that port in particular. The starters from 2 maybe? That might be the best fit.

With that kind of money I would just pay him to fix Ganondorf.
On one hand, I kinda agree. The clone-based moveset was a missed opportunity (especially four games in a row). TBF the sword Smashes are a step in the right direction (especially since it spawned "DORIYAH!").

On the other, I love Falcondorf. Especially since his Melee counterpart's been taken to ridicolous heights (because pushing buttons is Serious Business :p ):

There are a couple moves that are likely to be a part of Ganon's moveset for a while (Down Air's become his iconic Spike - especially since it's the strongest in the game - Forward Air got the nickname "Skull Crusher" etc.) but the specials are what I'd argue could use another look and perhaps some changes there.

(P.S. n0ne's a Falcon main, so it's kinda natural that he'd have a sick Ganondorf.)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
What do people define as a Deluxe Mii Costume? Ones that come with Music? Ones that look more accurate? Both?

I see Vault Boy get called Deluxe but he didn't come with music.
I'd assume it's just one with more effort out into it than the regular mii where it actually completely obscures the mii. That means music is pretty much something that may or may not come with one.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I honestly think having a high quality model for Steve while keeping his animations the same would be a bad call. You need to have every visual aspect of the character uniform to sell the joke of "lol he's from Minecraft". Giving him a model that matches his animations makes Steve charming and funny, while giving him a model that's on par with everyone else while keeping the stiff and lifeless animations would make Steve strange and uncanny.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
As a Hollow Knight supporter I'd be perfectly fine with a deluxe costume, just give me Vs. Hornet or Vs. Mantis Lords as the music track and we're solid. I actually do like playing Mii Swordie.

What I don't want to see is the MH costumes returning because that's a bad omen for full rep chances 😬

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This Shokio guy sounds like a total pessimistic.

Kinda wonder if he's doing it for attention? How could anyone be salty over Ridley?
Man poisoned Ridley discussions in Smash 4 and as of recent he also threw a ***** fit over Sans.
Dunno why we're giving attention to an ableist sack of **** like him tbh.

Found this from the Geno thread.

Confirms Steve releases today.

Nowhere do I see anything suggesting it's out today, just that they'll announce the release date.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If we were to get Microsoft Mii elements with Steve's release, getting a Fulgore costume to finally have some Killer Instinct representation in Smash would be a nice touch.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Last minute Mii Costume predictions:
  • Creeper Hat
  • Master Chief
  • An indie character
  • One of the MIA SSB4 costumes. I'm thinking either Lloyd or Gil.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What Mii costumes are you guys expecting to return?
I posted it in the Steve social thread but I'll post my predictions here again:

• Creeper Hat
  • Pillager (Mii Swordfighter)
  • Pig Hat
  • Lloyd (Returning)
  • Gil (Returning)
  • Madeline (Celeste premium Mii costume that comes with a song, Mii Brawler)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd be surprised at any Square Enix costumes coming back for a non SE fighter so I'll guess at most Rathalos, MH, Lloyd, or Gil for returning Mii elements.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Man poisoned Ridley discussions in Smash 4 and as of recent he also threw a ***** fit over Sans.
Dunno why we're giving attention to an ableist sack of **** like him tbh.

Nowhere do I see anything suggesting it's out today, just that they'll announce the release date.
I think he also ****ted on Etika too a while back, so yeah **** that guy.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'd be surprised at any Square Enix costumes coming back for a non SE fighter so I'll guess at most Rathalos, MH, Lloyd, or Gil for returning Mii elements.
If we're getting returning costumes, my bet's on the two Monster Hunter costumes, since both that series and Minecraft have similar "find materials to craft weapons and armor" mechanics.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Imagine if we got Minecraft storymode spirits. Did anyone play that game? I thought that was good.
I watched the "A Man Who Hates Bad Writing Plays Minecraft Story Mode" series. It was a hoot.

That's about all I've seen of the game though.

I'm really curious what the music selection is gonna be like

There better be a Shimomura arrangement of the credits theme or something
I just heard Alpha yesterday, and oh my gosh do I want that son in Smash with a passion now.

HERE IT COMES!!! :D
BOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Why is Mighty No. 9 the first thing that came to mind? I even read it in Pyrogen's voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom