• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
By the way the remix song that played during the trailer was great, I loved it, idk which theme it is based on tho.

Don't worry we will probably get a classic/retro/whatever in the pass.

...I guess it also depends on what you consider a classic character. For some people only characters from the 90s are classic but I'd say early 2000s can also be considered classic at this point.
My Minecraft savvy friends tell me it's a medley, and it's pretty ****ing beautiful, makes me realize how few Smash songs are able to bring the hype with a piano, especially when they ****ed up Cynthia's theme with it

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's where I come out on things. I see that it ended up kinda lengthy.

Characters like Steve are why I buy the pass piecemeal, and not as a whole. I don't know if I'm going to want every character in the pass. There aren't too many I inherently don't want. I really can only think of two I wouldn't buy (Steve and Cinderace). Though I wouldn't have bought the plant either, but it was free.

Now the reason I don't want Steve isn't because I don't like Minecraft. I haven't played Minecraft, and really have little sentiment on it either way. It's not because I think he's "undeserving". Minecraft is huge and he was popular, especially with kids and probably casuals. I'm sure he'll sell well. It's not because I thought they couldn't make a moveset for him. I was arguing they could way back in the Banjo thread.

It's just because I think he's got a really really unappealing, incongruous design. When I pictured him in the game, it was always quite jarring, both in his appearance, and how it meshed with the other characters. But, even when I pictured him, his design had been Smash-ified somewhat. You know, his look was smoothed over and he had slightly more articulation, so as to achieve the consistent aesthetic within the game. Something like this.

Now, the Steve we got is basically a transplant from Minecraft. And I'll give them points for faithfulness. Between the look and the movements, it's very faithful. But I actually find it more jarring than what I envisioned, due to the retention of an aesthetic from a game with a drastically different art direction. I think there's a big reason characters embrace Smash's design sensibilities when in Smash. Artistic cohesion is a large reason the group of so many disparate characters from disparate art styles doesn't seem to clash. A bright, clean character from Smash 4 would look very strange in Brawl, right?

I mean, I'd like to see Travis in the game, but it'd be really weird if he showed up all cel-shaded, I want him to blend visually with the cast. Bayonetta with her original giraffe proportions in Smash would look very odd, and there's a reason they changed her for the game.

So all of this is to say, Steve actually came in below what I was expecting for the character, and I already thought he'd be a strained fit. To me, he seems a very awkward implementation, and one that doesn't mix particularly well. I mean, his art isn't exactly kinetic, like the others, and his presence on the mural could pass for photoshop, imho. I feel like they could've done much more to mix the two aesthetics.

Though I'm sure his moveset will be fine, it seems quite inventive... but I just don't really want a character that I feel is so out of place on my roster. If you like him, and I'm sure many of you do, and I'm sure many more of you will now that he's there... great. I'm not here to say he's a "bad" choice. I don't particularly like him but I made peace with his ample merit a long time ago.

I know this opinion I hold used to be quite prevalent, but I expect now with his inclusion, it will suspiciously dissipate over the coming weeks, as criticism becomes antagonized. Even though this isn't criticism, it's just how I feel about the character and their inclusion. And I don't expect to waver much.

But for me, he's now the second member of the "I'll pass" club, after Corrin in Smash 4.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Pretty much - I can already see that with the new kid(s) on the block: Fall Guys / Among Us. Fall Guys became a favorite not (just) because of its cutesy nature - right place at the right time, what with being a relatively non-violent BR game that emphasized platforming. And many enjoyed that simply put.

Among Us meanwhile is a unique spin on Mafia, and likewise many enjoyed that.
I'd mark out for Among Us content in Smash Bros. Even a simple Spirit Event would be neat.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, as someone that didn't want Steve in Smash, I never really complained about kids or zoomers or whatever. I just never played Minecraft (and thus had no connection/attachment to the ip), and felt that compared to other third party options, Steve looked the least appealing by quite a bit due to his visual design and animation quality or lack thereof, and unfortunately what I've seen of Steve in Smash so far hasn't really changed my mind and has only reaffirmed my concerns. It certainly doesn't help that Steve's inclusion takes a big dump on one of my MW's chances (that being Master Chief).

And while Steve never really was and clearly now isn't "impossible", the fact that Steve apparently required Sakurai to go back and seriously rework on every single stage (from what I've heard atleast), just to make Steve fit in is kind of crazy (or has he done this with other characters? I don't recall hearing about it with any other character but I'm not 100% here).

That all said, if people like Minecraft's Steve inclusion, than cool, congrats for you, I get how Minecraft could be a very special game to some. On the flip side though there's also nothing wrong with not liking Steve's inclusion as well and not liking Steve's inclusion doesn't make one a whiny """boomer""" or whatever, just as much as liking Minecraft doesn't make somebody a """zoomer."""

just my two cents on this whole situation.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Is Minecraft really "new" though?

Compared to the older fighters, yes. But Minecraft isn't that new in general though. It was released to the public in 2009, which is almost 11 years.
2009 is too new for me. Characters from the 90's and early 2000's are what I like.

Only guy off the top of my head left that would realistically get in this pass that fits your bill is Hayabusa.
Eh, works for me. Ryu Hayabusa is a ninja so that's cool.

Don't worry we will probably get a classic/retro/whatever in the pass.

...I guess it also depends on what you consider a classic character. For some people only characters from the 90s are classic but I'd say early 2000s can also be considered classic at this point.
Yeah, pretty much at that range. 20 years old and up is what I'd consider classic or retro.

D

Deleted member

I see a lot of comparisons between Steve and Byleth.

There are major differences. Steve is an enormously iconic third party candidate, Byleth is a recent first party candidate that is from a franchise lots of Smash fans loathe. There will be lots of criticisms that Smash fans will have against Steve, but I feel like those will be drowned by enormous support and praise. With Byleth, it is just a bit different. There wasn't as much hype and praise with Byleth as Steve in terms of the Smash community.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I mean, as someone that didn't want Steve in Smash, I never really complained about kids or zoomers or whatever. I just never played Minecraft (and thus had no connection/attachment to the ip), and felt that compared to other third party options, Steve looked the least appealing by quite a bit due to his visual design and animation quality or lack thereof, and unfortunately what I've seen of Steve in Smash so far hasn't really changed my mind and has only reaffirmed my concerns. It certainly doesn't help that Steve's inclusion takes a big dump on one of my MW's chances (that being Master Chief).

And while Steve never really was and clearly now isn't "impossible", the fact that Steve apparently required Sakurai to go back and seriously rework on every single stage (from what I've heard atleast), just to make Steve fit in is kind of crazy (or has he done this with other characters? I don't recall hearing about it with any other character but I'm not 100% here).

That all said, if people like Minecraft's Steve inclusion, than cool, congrats for you, I get how Minecraft could be a very special game to some. On the flip side though there's also nothing wrong with not liking Steve's inclusion as well and not liking Steve's inclusion doesn't make one a whiny """boomer""" or whatever, just as much as liking Minecraft doesn't make somebody a """zoomer."""

Agreed 100%. Shunning others for not liking an inclusion does nothing but alienate.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I was a little disappointed they didn't give Steve a Mario alt. Woulda been good.

To be perfectly honest, I think this has been the least exciting reveal for me. I don't know what it is, but I just don't like Minecraft. Part of it is I don't like the way the game looks. The blocky, pixely look is unique, but I've just always disliked it. Kinda weird since I usually love pixel art, but something about Minecraft's just isn't my cuppa tea. Was hoping they'd spruce Steve up a little if he got in, but they didn't even do that.

However, this is the best character Nintendo could have picked from a marketing standpoint. Minecraft is literally the most popular game. A lot of people in this thread have been saying that Nintendo needs a big character to really give the second pass a boost. I can think of no one bigger than Steve. Additionally, I've thought his moveset potential was higher than anyone else's for a good while now. So not only is he huge in terms of popularity, he'll be insanely unique. We can't completely judge just from what little we saw in the trailer, but it's looking like they did indeed go for the mining and crafting playstyle I had in mind. So at the very least, I'm glad he'll please a lot of people even if I'm not one of them.

Fingers crossed for our next fighter to be someone we want more 🤞

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

I appreciate that you're being civil about this. People on both sides could learn a thing or two from you. Expressing disappointment or hype shouldn't involve insults and mockery.

Oh, and on the latter point... Kind of a hot take, but I actually hate the "boomer" and "zoomer" terminology. They both sound like just more buzzwords people can easily slap onto differing generations for whatever reason they see fit, and if they're really anything like past buzzwords like I suspect they are, the terminology will probably die out within just a couple years of initially gaining traction.

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I should have read more comments before posting. My bad. Thanks a lot.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Let's see how accurate my mock-up turns out to be this Saturday. It's already inaccurate in the music department since I didn't account for Dungeons or Story Mode while coming up with it.
Steve mockup since we're talking about him now.

Edit: Pretend that Mice on Venus, Danny, Haggstrom, and Living Mice are on the music list.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I personally don't think Steve is all that jarring. I wasn't expecting it to look so 1-1, but Minecraft's pixely aesthetic seems to match with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's water colorey aesthetic quite well.

As for Steve's animations, I am surprised they don't look more like they do in Minecraft Dungeons, but just as surprisingly, they look totally fine. It is quite different from nearly every other character, but to me, that's not even remotely a problem. I mean, this series is home to an amalgam character who first appeared on LCD screens, a potted plant, a not quite humanoid robot, and the cartooniest dog you ever did see which can summon pixel art gunman. In comparison, Steve's animation quirks are just that: quirky.

EDIT: I do think there was at least something done in game to make the artstyles match a bit better though, as Mario did look pretty out of place in the CGI portion of Steve's trailer.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
IDK about you guys, but Mr. Minecraft's reveal didn't really get me hyped or giddy or whatever even though it's the face of the biggest game on the planet. I felt the same way about :ulthero: Hetero and :ultbanjokazooie: Burger-King. The only characters to have that effect on me are :ultcloud: Claude and :ultkrool: Kreuer.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I have to say I agree that Steve is fairly aesthetically jarring to me in context. And he certainly wasn't a character I was gunning for. But he looks fun and interesting so I'm going to reserve judgment for when he releases. I already bought the pass, because regardless of who gets in I was always going to want every character anyway. I can't have an incomplete roster.

I'm happy for everyone that was hoping for Steve though! I know there are a lot of you out there. =) He is certainly deserving from a sales and cultural impact standpoint.

Shroob

Sup?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom