• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's a Translation by @Ayumi Tachibana from back then

the OG Leak is also linked

Who’s anlucia?

Anyway yeah this is fake from the dates alone, just a coincidence Steve was there

also MASTER CHIEF PALLET SWAP FOR STEVE LMAO

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
A lot of people are complaining about the quality of the animations.

I think that's sort of the point. They're supposed to look bad. They're just as primitive as the ones in the real game.
Well, as much as I don't personally think they're a problem, the fact that they're the point wouldn't really be a reason why they aren't a problem nor why someone would like them.

Can I just say

2-block tall Enderman

Mildly cursed
Agreed.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Who’s anlucia?

Anyway yeah this is fake from the dates alone, just a coincidence Steve was there
Yeah, that's why i didn't List it because i'm sure this one was just wrong. even then, not listing it only really affects Doomguy, as Hero and Now Steve are already in, and Ryu has rumors independent of this

besides Ryu, the other Square leak characters and Katalina though, the other characters that have had rumors have been Reimu, Waluigi, Crash, Lloyd, Chief (though this probably won't pan out anymore), Dante, and I think that's all

Resident Evil I also believed had a rumor, with Jill supposed to be playable, but something fell through, and now we get Spirit Event.

there's probably more I'm missing, but yes

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, that's why i didn't List it because i'm sure this one was just wrong. even then, not listing it only really affects Doomguy, as Hero and Now Steve are already in, and Ryu has rumors independent of this

besides Ryu, the other Square leak characters and Katalina though, the other characters that have had rumors have been Reimu, Waluigi, Crash, Lloyd, Chief (though this probably won't pan out anymore), Dante, and I think that's all

Resident Evil I also believed had a rumor, with Jill supposed to be playable, but something fell through, and now we get Spirit Event.

there's probably more I'm missing, but yes
Anlucia is female and from DQX also and Hero has no female alts so ye

don’t think we’re getting Katalina either

SKX31

Smash Master
Can I just take a moment to marvel at Steve's alternate costumes for a second?

Because I'm betting that the Tennis Steve / Alex outfits had Björn Borg and Serena Williams (Venus Williams didn't wear a headband IIRC, could be wrong) as the basis of their designs respectively.

So in a really roundabout way, one could argue that we've gotten our first 4th party / real life playable people in Smash. Didn't expect it to be tennis players though.

As the Swedish Alex, yup, can confirm that that's traditional dress. Fits well with meatballs, IKEA and Sweden's Civ VI theme (which combines a drinking song with two folk songs. Yup.).

But then, there's my favorite. Scottish Steve. Something Schottish has made it into Smash, bless me bagpipes! (As everyone's favorite Scottish character, Scrooge McDuck, says):

I know they're in the default Skin pack, but when you think about it, it's kinda wild that they're the defaults that got into Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A lot of people are complaining about the quality of the animations.

I think that's sort of the point. They're supposed to look bad. They're just as primitive as the ones in the real game.
Well yeah, it's pretty obvious that Sakurai isn't a hack that butchered a great design and amazing animations.

The complaint is directed more towards the people who picked a fighter who'd have to look like **** to be faithful to the source material.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Damnit Im assuming the Zombie and Enderman alts won't use thier in game voice clips based on the trailer footage. Would have been a neat touch.
Iirc nobody uses voice clips in the gameplay portions of thier trailer. I kind of doubt they will considering Steve and Alex are currently mute, but I do think it's possible.

Kinda hope they bring back the "oof!" for Steve's costumes, but I won't hold my breath.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Anlucia is female and from DQX also and Hero has no female alts so ye

don’t think we’re getting Katalina either
I don't think we're getting her either. If anything, I see Dragalia Lost character being added instead if Nintendo wants Cygames character in, or just want's to go ahead and Push their new Successful First Party I.P. something something

Wait wait wait a gatdam minute, I know people are gonna call me a moron and say that smash doesn't care about dates but
-We got Min Min during ARMS release month
-We got Steve during Minecon month

I see through your tricks, nintendo
You know, between this, and also the fact that Nintendo now added links to the games (in the shop) the DLC Character comes from on the Smash Website, I'm thinking Nintendo might have some plans under their sleeves. they are gonna try to milk the best opportunities and such

Shroob

Sup?
Wait wait wait a gatdam minute, I know people are gonna call me a moron and say that smash doesn't care about dates but
-We got Min Min during ARMS release month
-We got Steve during Minecon month

I see through your tricks, nintendo
Tbh, it's pretty obvious now in hindsight that they held this back to co-incide with minecon. I think PeridotGX PeridotGX actually brought it up as a possibility.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Poor Rex, if that turns out to be true.
I really don’t think this even blows rexs chances

I don’t really think Nintendo planning pass 2 in advance is likey because from what I remember is that imran said more dlc was decided by Nintendo at e3 2019 so by saying that it seems to me that fp2 wasent on their minds at that time

and another thing we just got :ultminmin Who had a spirit in the base game planned at launch along with arms assist miis & other spirits
The difference between that & Steve is that nothing Minecraft related stuff was in base game nor fp1

D

Deleted member

As much as I find it super charming and funny, I do have to wonder.....

Why Zombie and Enderman?

They could of simply just made those two Spirits and give Steve and Alex another set of alts from their wardrobe and no one would bat an eye,

But instead, they basically made two unsuspecting mobs playable and were even notable enough to get splash screens.

Is this, like, a jab at the people who think "generic mook" characters (like a certain Waddle Dee) shouldn’t be playable in Smash, or something?
Because if it is, I’m all for it!

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Tbh, it's pretty obvious now in hindsight that they held this back to co-incide with minecon. I think PeridotGX PeridotGX actually brought it up as a possibility.
It's funny, I was so sure at first it was because something went wrong during development and a huge delay was incoming.

Turns out it was just because they wanted to get the reveal itself out of the way so they could do his showcase at Minecon, lol.

Shroob

Sup?

Why Zombie and Enderman?

They could of simply just made those two Spirits and give Steve and Alex another set of alts from their wardrobe and no one would bat an eye,

But instead, they basically made two unsuspecting mobs playable and were even notable enough to get splash screens.

Is this, like, a jab at people who thinks that "generic mook" characters (like a certain Waddle Dee) shouldn’t be playable in Smash, or something?
Maybe they wanted to represent as much of the franchise as they could? Like, the stage already looks jam packed with references, but at the same time, Zombies share the player model already. If anything, it's the Endermen that's the odd duck.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

Why Zombie and Enderman?

Is this, like, a jab at the people who think "generic mook" characters (like a certain Waddle Dee) shouldn’t be playable in Smash, or something?
Or you know..... they fit the models of Steve and Alex? With the skinny arms and all -_-

Shroob

Sup?
Or you know..... they fit the models of Steve and Alex? With the skinny arms and all -_-
Well, zombies do. Endermen definitely do not. Players in Minecraft are 2 blocks tall, while Endermen are a bit over three. That doesn't sound like a lot, but in Minecraft measurements, that's rather significant.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Why Zombie and Enderman?

They wanted the Minecraft rep to be a living ****post; Something you'd see from an overzealous fan moveset. Low-quality animations, crazy mechanics, out-there alts, the works.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'd honestly switch out the Enderman with like a Skeleton or Piglin or something tbh. At least they wouldn't look as out of place

Though I'm pretty sure the Enderman we got is based a costume you can get in Minecraft itself. Still jarring though lol

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So y’all know Steve literally broke twitter after his reveal

and I guess the Steve reveal can literally go down in history cause:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I know that. I'm just now putting 2 and 2 together and realizing Min Min was also revealed near a date significant to her game.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

Why Zombie and Enderman?

I bet the mobs were implemented to simply add onto the surprise factor of the reveal... because they certainly surprised me!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That reveal would've gone down smoother had it been on the back of an E3 presentation.
I'm not convinced that was the E3 presentation.
Sure- it's very, very possible.
On the flip side, maybe the characters got switched around when E3 was going to be missed, and they decided to wait for MineCon to release Steve.
I cannot see an option other than these two.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I get Steve's animations are all directly from the game, but there is a difference between rip and reference.

Mega Man's run is clearly from the game too, but I'm glad it's not just three frames looped.

I get what they're going for, but jank is not something I'd personally opt to emulate if given the choice, especially when the other characters tend to avoid it. So I understand the complaints, though personally I take more issue with the appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom