• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Personally, I agree with you that if someone wants you to stop doing something, you should stop. That's a moral thing for me. But not everyone feels that way. People are within their rights to keep debating if they want to, and I respect it. That's just how things are. While you have your freedom to say "guys, quit it," others have a freedom to say "no I won't, your reasoning is wrong, blah blah blah."

If you're looking for more amicable discussions, I'd honestly suggest either a character support thread, the social thread, or Discord. There aren't debates here 24/7, but it's one of the most common ways we communicate in this thread. A lot of us love the thrill of a good debate, and it teaches us new things and allows us to explore new perspectives that we couldn't have gained if we were to never contest our beliefs.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you that within this thread, nobody debates out of pure malice or to troll. Yes, some people may be blunt, or their wording comes off as rude, but that's just how some people speak, you know? They don't mean it necessarily, but at the same time, not everyone cares about protecting the feeling's of others. In this thread, we got a mixed bag of folks. Very nice people, nice people that can be blunt, nice people that can be rude, the occasional asshole, etc.
I'm here for a reason, and if people care, then they'll care. If they don't, i'll keep sharing my feelings and will adjust to those who don't. That's all.

I know some people like debates, I do too if it's more like a discussion. I do it a little to the point I feel comfortable, but when it gets unpleasant I get a little uncomfortable.
People can care about anyone's feelings in any thread.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
If they were to include Siegfried as his alternate, the design would have to come from either 2 or 6. But the obvious best alternate would be to have him in an insane character creation outfit or some ****.
I feel like if they went with Soul Calibur 2 it would be perfect since theyre literally the same character in that game

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Cuphead has really weird difficulty spikes where you get to some bosses halfway through and you go "well **** if this is halfway through what's the rest going to be like?" and then a lot of the rest is easier. Though really it's mostly that ****ing clown.

Very charming game, though.

Astral Chain is a huge success.

I got its own spirit event in Smash, and sequels are confirmed to be arriving.

Hinted, rather.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I have an honest question (by the way, I'm sorry my posts recently have been detracting from the main subject, so this will be my last post where I'm speaking off-topic). What do you guys think of me? I want some brutally honest opinions lmao. A lot of people reference others in discussion, but I've never heard any opinions about me.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Astral Chain was a modest success, but I don't think it did well enough for us to know if Nintendo has a permanent place for it.

I'll have to wait and see how the alleged sequel performs. People now have a reference for what the series is like, so sales could spike or plummet from here on out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That movie really doesn't do a good job at keeping the Pokemon franchise "pure". There's mild profanity, that close-up of an R'd Aipom's face, an implication that cocaine exists in the Pokemon world...
I know, it's ****ing rad
Don't be rude. I'm not a hypocrite. I respect others' opinions, I just like to share my own and my reasons for them, especially if I think someone miight not have thought of something. I don't mind hashing a little for a few posts, but if it becomes 'just' a debate, it's just not pleasant for me.
I never said to shut up, I said not to debate with me. If people care, then they won't.
Just some advice: if you're discussing something with someone, and you get tired of it or want to end it for whatever reason, the best way to go about it is to just disengage. Otherwise it looks like you want to get the last word and shut down discussion - which I don't feel is what you were going for, but that's just how it'll come across.
It's a super fun game but I hate that some bosses was more testing my luck than my skill. The most obvious is Grim matchstick (the dragon). Somtime the platform position is so weird that there's basically no way to avoir his attack. It's still one of my favorite game of all time, but it can be frustrating sometimes.
**** that dragon.

I love Cuphead, I really wish I could keep playing but I've played all of it so far co-op with a friend, it just wouldn't be right to continue solo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I have an honest question (by the way, I'm sorry my posts recently have been detracting from the main subject, so this will be my last post where I'm speaking off-topic). What do you guys think of me? I want some brutally honest opinions lmao. A lot of people reference others in discussion, but I've never heard any opinions about me.
I thought you were a good mediator :p It's good to be able to see things from multiple perspectives and find value in any or all of them. That's as much as i can say because even though we talked before in the past, it kinda melds in with other talks at this point. You seem like a nice person ;)

As for back on topic, I know that most people would want to not have a pokemon character for dlc, but if we did get one, I wonder which one would pass the best. People like Scorbunny but we got incineroar who's also fire :/

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
If Nightmare got in do you think theyd give him Siegfried alts and which version of him would they even pick? His design changes slightly every game. Tho I think theyd probably pick his soul calibur 2 design(his most iconic) or his most recent soul calibur 6 version if he does get in
I feel like they’d use the 6 look, since 6 was the start of a new timeline, and that’s probably the timeline that’s going to be used for the series from now on. Would love it if we could somehow get his designs from all the games, though.

As for the Cuphead discussion, I remember charge shot and the coffee charm being really useful for me.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just some advice: if you're discussing something with someone, and you get tired of it or want to end it for whatever reason, the best way to go about it is to just disengage. Otherwise it looks like you want to get the last word and shut down discussion - which I don't feel is what you were going for, but that's just how it'll come across.
Most of the time I do want the last word, I did recognize that about myself. But usually it's because I feel like I need to say something, not 'just' because I want to 'win', that's definitely not it.

I haven't played cuphead but I have watched a decent amount. It's definitely cool that it got the attention for it to be in smash as a costume.
Would cuphead be the most niche game to have one in smash up to now?

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
It's the same deal in SC6 in case you didn't know.
would be perfect if he had 4 alts as nightmare and 4 as siegfried. It would make so many people happy

idk if theyd actually do that or not but it would be a great way to represent him since Nightmare/Siegfried are yin and yang

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, I don't really have much of an opinion. Apart from spitting facts about this thread's odd fixation on bashing the Geno thread that happens at random and without reason, nothing you've said has really resonated with me at present.

Is that mean? I hope that's not mean.

Most of the time I do want the last word, I did recognize that about myself. But usually it's because I feel like I need to say something, not 'just' because I want to 'win', that's definitely not it.
I definitely get that, though in the future I would advise that you don't use phrases like "I don't want to repeat myself" as, at least to me, seems like a very passive aggressive way of saying "I'm right, you're opinions are stupid/irrelevant, end of discussion" in that context, which I think is part of why a few feathers were ruffled here.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly, I don't really have much of an opinion. Apart from spitting facts about this thread's odd fixation on bashing the Geno thread that happens at random and without reason, nothing you've said has really resonated with me at present.

I definitely get that, though in the future I would advise that you don't use phrases like "I don't want to repeat myself" as, at least to me, seems like a very passive aggressive way of saying "I'm right, you're opinions are stupid/irrelevant, end of discussion" in that context, which I think is part of why a few feathers were ruffled here.
Ok I'll try to find a better way.
When I say i don't like to repeat myself, it's because I'm a little upset that someone hasn't taken the time to see the depth of my point even though I said everything about it, and I feel like I could only repeat it if I responded to them. It's definitely not meant to be about the other person's point, which I always try to account, but sometimes I just don't know how to make them see past their own ideas.

TheBeastHimself

Not mean at all, I'm usually just in the background and make weird comments to myself about Mother 3 coming to America.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
C'mon man you know you rock
Astral Chain was a modest success, but I don't think it did well enough for us to know if Nintendo has a permanent place for it.

I'll have to wait and see how the alleged sequel performs. People now have a reference for what the series is like, so sales could spike or plummet from here on out.
I think any first party game that sells over a million units is guaranteed a sequel. It's not frequent to see new IPs sell that, especially if they're Japanese. Add to that the amazing critical reception, and you have the elements for a breakout sequel. Nintendo clearly knows it too, given their investment in Bayonetta.

After that we'll see, Platinum definitely strikes me as having other priorities right now, but I think Astral Chain 2 is all but guaranteed.
However, you have to understand that the other person probably has things they need to say as well, so at some point you have to ponder whether saying what you need to say is more important than ending an uncomfortable conversation.
I haven't played cuphead but I have watched a decent amount. It's definitely cool that it got the attention for it to be in smash as a costume.
I don't think so, Cuphead sold over 6 million copies. Even Undertale's sold less. Nichest game to get a Mii Costume is probably Goemon, or maybe Art of Fighting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, Cuphead isn't niche. It's sold five million copies and has a TV show coming. As a game it's outsold any individual title from Metroid, Kirby, Fire Emblem, etc. It outsold the first Splatoon. It's just small, because it only has one game so far.

I would say, for third-parties, some of the SNK costumes are the nichest.
If that's a word.
Which the red squiggly is telling me that it isn't.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
As for back on topic, I know that most people would want to not have a pokemon character for dlc, but if we did get one, I wonder which one would pass the best. People like Scorbunny but we got incineroar who's also fire :/
I think the gen 8 Pokémon that would have the best reception would be either Toxtricity or Dragapult. Both are among the most popular of the gen, and both would bring original moveset and break the mold of "starter or movie" Pokémon.

Definitely not. Cuphead had 4 millions sales in Summer 2019, and by the time the ps4 version released there was 6 million sales. This is way more than many ip represented in Smash, including Earthbound, Ice climbers, every Fire emblem (but not if you add them, just separately), and more than Persona 5. Also Cuphead won many, many awards and is getting a cartoon along with a lot of merchandise. It's really not that niche, especially for indie game standard.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think so, Cuphead sold over 6 million copies. Even Undertale's sold less. Nichest game to get a Mii Costume is probably Goemon, or maybe Art of Fighting.
Damn. I didn't think it was that high. I thought undertale had sold more, because of how many people I saw playing it. Undertale is the most niche then? :p

However, you have to understand that the other person probably has things they need to say as well, so at some point you have to ponder whether saying what you need to say is more important than ending an uncomfortable conversation.
I'll find a balance eventually. I haven't talked here much in the last year.

D

Deleted member

Would us not getting a Gen 8 Pokemon at all in FP2 be a bizarre take?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
C'mon man you know you rock

I think any first party game that sells over a million units is guaranteed a sequel. It's not frequent to see new IPs sell that, especially if they're Japanese. Add to that the amazing critical reception, and you have the elements for a breakout sequel. Nintendo clearly knows it too, given their investment in Bayonetta.

After that we'll see, Platinum definitely strikes me as having other priorities right now, but I think Astral Chain 2 is all but guaranteed.
It'll probably get a sequel due to the studio being extremely intrested, but I don't think the sales of the first game alone are enough to convince Nintendo that this is the next IP worth investing money into.

I know that probably sounds harsh, but look at Kid Icarus. Sold around 1.5 million, Sakurai said he wasn't intrested in making a sequel, and Nintendo never bothered to capitalize on the modest success of the game. It did well, but not well enough for Nintendo to find someone else who would be willing to work on the series.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

why does every fake leaker say that they know who the character is but then don't say it? like at least take the plunge, its way better than just vague bull****.
I think it's because they don't want to get anybody fired, or they want to give the illusion that they don't want to get anybody fired if they're faking.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I think SC4 Sieg would make the best alt/echo, that way, both the Soul Edge AND Soul Calibur are represented.
Id be happy with that too

They could just use Soul Calibur 6 design for both. Since we arent getting echoes this pass hed probably just be an alt. Tho in this case it works cause for half the franchise they were the same character with the same moveset. personally

Option A: Soul Calibur 2 Nightmare with Soul Calibur 2 cursed Siegfried
Option B: Soul Calibur 6 Nightmare with Soul Calibur 6 Siegfried
Option C: Just nightmare, no siegfried

TheBeastHimself

Damn. I didn't think it was that high. I thought undertale had sold more, because of how many people I saw playing it. Undertale is the most niche then? :p
I'd say Mother is, but that series is walking a fine line between niche and well known. Though, not many people have played Mother 3 compared to EarthBound.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just found out that it is 100% cannon that Detective Gumshoe is the one that throws the confetti when you win a case. If I Phoenix Wright gets in, I want him to do this every time a fighter gets K.O.'ed. I will settle for just the confetti, but I will be a little disappointed.

I would say, for third-parties, some of the SNK costumes are the nichest.
If that's a word.
Which the red squiggly is telling me that it isn't.
THE RED SQUIGGLY IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED!!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think it's because they don't want to get anybody fired, or they want to give the illusion that they don't want to get anybody fired if they're faking.
That, or they know they can’t pretend to know who the character is or else their reputation goes bye-bye when they get the character wrong.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Id be happy with that too

They could just use Soul Calibur 6 design for both. Since we arent getting echoes this pass hed probably just be an alt. Tho in this case it works cause for half the franchise they were the same character with the same moveset. personally

Option A: Soul Calibur 2 Nightmare with Soul Calibur 2 cursed Siegfried
Option B: Soul Calibur 6 Nightmare with Soul Calibur 6 Siegfried
Option C: Just nightmare, no siegfried
Soul Calibur 4 Nightmare and Siegfried would be what I would pick but if Nightmare got In and had Siegfried it would probably just be Soul Calibur 6 Nightmare and Siegfired

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
If I'm being honest, I was hoping more people would call me out for my bizarre takes.
I enjoy your posts. It'd be boring if everyone here speculated and predicted the same thing. People presenting their own thoughts and feelings on what's gonna happen with Smash is what makes speculation fun for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom