• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don’t really think Smash reveals are complicated.

All but one character has been formally revealed in a presentation. The presentations have been either a General Direct or Smash Direct. Joker is the only exception.

There hasn’t been an unrelated reveal in a specific Direct, even outside the lens of Smash. Every time a character gets revealed, whether it’s a shadow drop reveal (like Byleth or Min Min) or whatever, having reaction videos also works as a marketing tool itself for Nintendo.

Just dropping, “Pepsiman is in Smash!” on Twitter does not work as well as, “Tune in tomorrow for Challenger Pack 7!” This is consistently how they have done things for over a year. They work, so why would they suddenly change the way they do these things?

Sure, anything could happen. I could walk outside and get struck by lightning. I could win a million dollars. But when it comes to discussion or speculating on these things, “what if” suggestions like that, especially with track records in precedent, don’t necessarily have a lot of ground to stand on.

Also, it’s not a rule. It’s measurable precedent and the same thing they have done for 5 characters in a row.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So what? Team Rocket still originated in video games. Smash would be just using the anime designs of the video game characters... which Smash already does with Cloud. :4cloud2:
I'm over it. We do have team rocket mii costume, if means anything. And yes for me I do think a mii costume matters if it's the same characters, just not if it has to do with an entire series. ;p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones What do you teach? If you don't mind me asking.
I’m certified for secondary English (grades 7-12) but right now I’m teaching 6th and 7th grade!

Some students think I’m cringe because I dab, while others love it and have already embraced it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don’t really think Smash reveals are complicated.

All but one character has been formally revealed in a presentation. The presentations have been either a General Direct or Smash Direct. Joker is the only exception.

There hasn’t been an unrelated reveal in a specific Direct, even outside the lens of Smash. Every time a character gets revealed, whether it’s a shadow drop reveal (like Byleth or Min Min) or whatever, having reaction videos also works as a marketing tool itself for Nintendo.

Just dropping, “Pepsiman is in Smash!” on Twitter does not work as well as, “Tune in tomorrow for Challenger Pack 7!” This is consistently how they have done things for over a year. They work, so why would they suddenly change the way they do these things?

Sure, anything could happen. I could walk outside and get struck by lightning. I could win a million dollars. But when it comes to discussion or speculating on these things, “what if” suggestions like that, especially with track records in precedent, don’t necessarily have a lot of ground to stand on.

Also, it’s not a rule. It’s measurable precedent and the same thing they have done for 5 characters in a row.
Considering how non-linear it is, I think it's safe to be open to anything. Plus you did kinda forget how 'arms character' was revealed. Sure Min min was dropped, but the bigger reveal wasn't traditional at all.

I go to back to what I said earlier, nintendo is crazy.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering how non-linear it is, I think it's safe to be open to anything. Plus you did kinda forget how 'arms character' was revealed. Sure Min min was dropped, but the bigger reveal wasn't traditional at all.

I go to back to what I said earlier, nintendo is crazy.
ARMS character was revealed in a general Nintendo Direct.

Min Min was revealed in a Smash presentation.

These are not outliers to the norm.

EDIT: Joker is quite literally the only character that does not fit the “General Direct/Smash Direct” reveal norm, and he’s essentially an exception to that same norm because of it. It’s the only inconsistency. Every other DLC character since has been revealed in a general Nintendo Direct or Smash specific Direct.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They already do a lot of sidestepping to avoid the, uh, abuse and dogfighting angles
And then they make the Detective Pikachu movie where Pokemon fights are outlawed and 100% reminiscent of underground dogfighting lmao
I know what you mean. I am trying out the new Crash Bandicoot game later this week.
Aw man that comes out this week?

So many games, so little money...
Here is the real debate.

Ocarina of Time Ganondorf (Melee/Ultimate), or Twilight Princess Ganondorf (Brawl/Smash 4)?
Twilight Princess for me, easily. TP Ganondorf looks like a badass warlord, a wise but machiavellian king who you should go against at your own peril. OoT Ganondorf looks like the bad guy in a kid's animated movie, he's sneaky and mischievous but he feels like someone who even a kid could outsmart (which is what ends up happening!)
You know what would be amazing in a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate story mode? A post credits scene that's similar to Bayonetta's Let's Dance Boys! scene, but it has a bunch of cast members dancing, and a bunch of visual gags. For instance:
  • Isabelle and Villager dancing with their friends.
  • Mario doing The Mario, and seemingly warping everywhere. (bonus points if he pops into a frame somewhere in the back where it's harder to notice)
  • The Kirby crew doing their signature dance together.
  • Luigi and Pit dancing badly.
  • Duck Hunt laughing at bad dancers or other mishaps.
  • Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong doing dance moves from the DK Rap.
  • A villain or anti-hero refusing to dance.
  • Literally anything involving Ridley in this scene.
  • Jigglypuff ending the scene by excitedly sings for this huge audiance, and puts them all to sleep.
Why doesn't this post have more likes, do y'all just not have souls?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
ARMS character was revealed in a general Nintendo Direct.

Min Min was revealed in a Smash presentation.

These are not outliers to the norm.
First of all, doing it as a 'who's the character from the series' is totally out of the norm, and second it was a mini.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
A mini in name only, it was still almost 30 minutes, which eclipses a lot of normal Directs who hang around 25~
It was a mini, and they get less attention and hype. The 'longer time' than usual for the mini doesn't change my point, come on. can you stop lol

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
First of all, doing it as a 'who's the character from the series' is totally out of the norm, and second it was a mini.
The Direct was a general in all but name, and you’re basically moving the goalposts.

The original point was that “it was inconsistent” in how it would be revealed. But it wasn’t. It was revealed in a general Nintendo Direct, which then led to a Smash specific one later, despite the “who will it be”. This is not the same as saying that a Smash character would appear in a non-general, but other-game specific direct. It’s apples and oranges by definition.

Shroob

Sup?
It was a mini, and they get less attention and hype. The 'longer time' than usual for the mini doesn't change my point, come on. can you stop lol
You're on a public online forum
In a thread where debate is common, if not encouraged
Throwing around a controversial opinion

If you don't wanna debate, then sure, but then stop trying to make your point sound like the only correct choice and the discussion will fizzle out on its own. You're vehemently trying to defend your stance as being justified which, hey we get it, we don't agree, but we get it, but for someone who doesn't want to debate, you're sure quick to try to defend your point like it's a debate.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I’m certified for secondary English (grades 7-12) but right now I’m teaching 6th and 7th grade!

Some students think I’m cringe because I dab, while others love it and have already embraced it.
Hey man, as long as you're self-aware, you will never be cringe. At least not in my book!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're on a public online forum
In a thread where debate is common, if not encouraged
Throwing around a controversial opinion

If you don't wanna debate, then sure, but then stop trying to make your point sound like the only correct choice and the discussion will fizzle out on its own. You're vehemently trying to defend your stance as being justified which, hey we get it, we don't agree, but we get it, but for someone who doesn't want to debate, you're sure quick to try to defend your point like it's a debate.
It's a ****ing discussion thread, I don't like debating. Take my point or leave them and please stop. You try to shut down possibilities when you don't have to, very rigid thinking, while I'm just trying to say nintendo doesn't do things according to rigid rules. I don't like how you're going about it. If you don't want to stop then I just wont talk with you, and I'd rather we have amicable talks, ok?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The Direct was a general in all but name, and you’re basically moving the goalposts.

The original point was that “it was inconsistent” in how it would be revealed. But it wasn’t. It was revealed in a general Nintendo Direct, which then led to a Smash specific one later, despite the “who will it be”. This is not the same as saying that a Smash character would appear in a non-general, but other-game specific direct. It’s apples and oranges by definition.
My issue with your post earlier, if i have any, has more to do with that you compare it to being struck with lightning, which I think is way too extreme when I think nintendo can just decide to do something out of the norm like they often do. If you don't think that it being a mini, which was inconsistent, and that 'who's that character' being inconsistent is good enough, then fine, but I think it is.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Okay guys I think this is more of a matter of opinions than anything. Shroob and Scoliosis, both of you guys think precedent should be followed. Teeb is under the belief that Nintendo is more spontaneous than people give credit for, therefore we should be open to anything.

You guys are just gonna keep running in circles, there won't ever really be a moment of "ha! I proved you wrong!" because these are just opinions/beliefs... BUT, it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's still a place where debate is common. "I'm right, don't argue with me" isn't gonna get very far here.
Listen, if someone doesn't like debating, you can respect how they feel or you can be an asshole and do it. If you choose to do it, then i just won't talk with that person cuz they do something I dont like (if they know). that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And then they make the Detective Pikachu movie where Pokemon fights are outlawed and 100% reminiscent of underground dogfighting lmao
That movie really doesn't do a good job at keeping the Pokemon franchise "pure". There's mild profanity, that close-up of an R'd Aipom's face, an implication that cocaine exists in the Pokemon world...

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
It's a ****ing discussion thread, I don't like debating. Take my point or leave them and please stop. You try to shut down possibilities when you don't have to, very rigid thinking, while I'm just trying to say nintendo doesn't do things according to rigid rules. I don't like how you're going about it. If you don't want to stop then I just wont talk with you, and I'd rather we have amicable talks, ok?
Your idea of "discussion" seems to be nothing more than "only talk to me if you are going to agree with my opinions". By partaking in an open forum, you are opening yourself up to opinions that may disagree with you, and that's something you are going to have to live with or you can put people you don't want to hear from on mute. Telling people to just shut up and agree with you is not going to work.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My issue with your post earlier, if i have any, has more to do with that you compare it to being struck with lightning, which I think is way too extreme when I think nintendo can just decide to do something out of the norm like they often do. If you don't think that it being a mini, which was inconsistent, and that 'who's that character' being inconsistent is good enough, then fine, but I think it is.
The comparison works because of one very simple reason: It’s possible that I get struck by lightning, but incredibly unlikely.

While yes, nothing is impossible, the examples you’re referring to are essentially changing the point. The original point was “they could reveal Pokémon in Smash in the Pokémon Direct”. This is not the same thing as revealing a guessing game in a general Direct, which instead proves the point that it has consistently been in general/Smash specific directs rather than “all over the place”. In terms of where the reveals happen, Joker is the only exception.

The guessing game can show that the method of reveal might be different, but it does not suggest that they would reveal something in a non-Smash related Direct. There’s simply nothing that supports it being THAT different, is my point.

Doesn’t mean it CAN’T happen, but I don’t really think there’s much reason to expect it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Your idea of "discussion" seems to be nothing more than "only talk to me if you are going to agree with my opinions". By partaking in an open forum, you are opening yourself up to opinions that may disagree with you, and that's something you are going to have to live with or you can put people you don't want to hear from on mute. Telling people to just shut up and agree with you is not going to work.
Don't be rude. I'm not a hypocrite. I respect others' opinions, I just like to share my own and my reasons for them, especially if I think someone miight not have thought of something. I don't mind hashing a little for a few posts, but if it becomes 'just' a debate, it's just not pleasant for me.
I never said to shut up, I said not to debate with me. If people care, then they won't.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think it's really worth arguing over. This has been a pretty weird year for Nintendo, and since they've apparently scrapped a lot of their Directs and presentations, there's really no telling how they'll go about this moving forward.

Personally I think a "Sakurai Presents" for whenever there aren't any Nintendo Directs makes most sense, but I won't write off something more unorthodox.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
If Nightmare got in do you think theyd give him Siegfried alts and which version of him would they even pick? His design changes slightly every game. Tho I think theyd probably pick his soul calibur 2 design(his most iconic) or his most recent soul calibur 6 version if he does get in

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The comparison works because of one very simple reason: It’s possible that I get struck by lightning, but incredibly unlikely.

While yes, nothing is impossible, the examples you’re referring to are essentially changing the point. The original point was “they could reveal Pokémon in Smash in the Pokémon Direct”. This is not the same thing as revealing a guessing game in a general Direct, which instead proves the point that it has consistently been in general/Smash specific directs rather than “all over the place”. In terms of where the reveals happen, Joker is the only exception.

The guessing game can show that the method of reveal might be different, but it does not suggest that they would reveal something in a non-Smash related Direct. There’s simply nothing that supports it being THAT different, is my point.

Doesn’t mean it CAN’T happen, but I don’t really think there’s much reason to expect it.
It's the same to me. I don't see it as super unlikely, just a little. My point is that they change up their game, so it's not as unlikely as you seem to think, that's all.

You don't have to show that they would reveal it in another game's direct, just that they could because they're nintendo.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Don't be rude. I'm not a hypocrite. I respect others' opinions, I just like to share my own and my reasons for them, especially if I think someone miight not have thought of something. I don't mind hashing a little for a few posts, but if it becomes 'just' a debate, it's just not pleasant for me.
I never said to shut up, I said not to debate with me. If people care, then they won't.
I'm not being rude and I have never called you a hypocrite. I'm simply pointing out the fact that you are on a public forum and just as you have the right to ask people not to "debate" your opinions, everyone else has the right to ignore that and discuss what they think is flawed reasoning.

Saying things like "If people care, then they won't." is just a fallacious way to attempt to frame others as doing something wrong, when they are not.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can't be the only one who recognizes that the character wasn't actually revealed in the mini. All that happened was it was narrowed down to a series.

The character was revealed as normal, with advance notice to either a Smash presentation, or a general presentation. This was the former. The only thing that broke precedent was that we knew from which series the character was to hail. But the reveal was pretty orthodox.

Now, a reveal in a mini could happen - I don't think that would be too surprising, but the only problem is that minis are generally shadowdropped, and Smash reveals aren't. I think this can probably just be averted by the fact that next year we'll likely return to proper normal Nintendo Directs. Under typical circumstances, minis are actually quite uncommon. Either that, or they could announce the mini beforehand. Nothing's stopping them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not being rude and I have never called you a hypocrite. I'm simply pointing out the fact that you are on a public forum and just as you have the right to ask people not to "debate" your opinions, everyone else has the right to ignore that and discuss what they think is flawed reasoning.

Saying things like "If people care, then they won't." is just a fallacious way to attempt to frame others as doing something wrong, when they are not.
You implied it by what you said. I'm not like that, and to me it was rude.

I really don't appreciate the way you're talking with me, so please stop. I don't consider anyone wrong. I just prefer for people to talk amicably, and to care. I don't know about you, but when something pisses someone off, I don't keep doing it to them. Some people don't care, some people troll. It's not like I'm naive, I just share how I feel.
When I'm upset, I'm not as nice as I could be, and that's not great, but I try to respect others and share what I think and feel the best I can.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

POTD. There are too many September anniversaries.

Unrelated but I can't beat Cuphead. The game I mean.
It's a super fun game but I hate that some bosses was more testing my luck than my skill. The most obvious is Grim matchstick (the dragon). Somtime the platform position is so weird that there's basically no way to avoir his attack. It's still one of my favorite game of all time, but it can be frustrating sometimes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
"haha Nintendo are unpredictable" is such a crap non-argument.

Might as well just shut down the discussion because there's nothing to it beyond "yeah but unpredictable though"
I was making the point because some people think it's impossible for it, or something they feel is somewhat consistent, to happen. The point is just to open thoughts, not to shut down discussion at all.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
If Nightmare got in do you think theyd give him Siegfried alts and which version of him would they even pick? His design changes slightly every game. Tho I think theyd probably pick his soul calibur 2 design(his most iconic) or his most recent soul calibur 6 version if he does get in
If they were to include Siegfried as his alternate, the design would have to come from either 2 or 6. But the obvious best alternate would be to have him in an insane character creation outfit or some ****.

TheBeastHimself

I really don't appreciate the way you're talking with me, so please stop. I don't consider anyone wrong. I just prefer for people to talk amicably, and to care. I don't know about you, but when something pisses someone off, I don't keep doing it to them. Some people don't care, some people troll. It's not like I'm naive, I just share how I feel.
When I'm upset, I'm not as nice as I could be, and that's not great, but I try to respect others and share what I think and feel the best I can.
Personally, I agree with you that if someone wants you to stop doing something, you should stop. That's a moral thing for me. But not everyone feels that way. People are within their rights to keep debating if they want to, and I respect it. That's just how things are. While you have your freedom to say "guys, quit it," others have a freedom to say "no I won't, your reasoning is wrong, blah blah blah."

If you're looking for more amicable discussions, I'd honestly suggest either a character support thread, the social thread, or Discord. There aren't debates here 24/7, but it's one of the most common ways we communicate in this thread. A lot of us love the thrill of a good debate, and it teaches us new things and allows us to explore new perspectives that we couldn't have gained if we were to never contest our beliefs.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you that within this thread, nobody debates out of pure malice or to troll. Yes, some people may be blunt, or their wording comes off as rude, but that's just how some people speak, you know? They don't mean it necessarily, but at the same time, not everyone cares about protecting the feeling's of others. In this thread, we got a mixed bag of folks. Very nice people, nice people that can be blunt, nice people that can be rude, the occasional asshole, etc.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace

Alright, if it is upsetting you I'll end it here.

I just wanted to let you know that, in the future, I and others will continue to discuss the veracity of opinions that are posted here. If that will bother then perhaps the best course of action is to mute the user that is setting you off. Intentionally doing something to piss someone off isn't cool, but asking someone to stop something completely harmless because it bothers you isn't a solution either.

I hope you have a good time discussing things from here on.

D

Deleted member

Astral Chain is a huge success.

I got its own spirit event in Smash, and sequels are confirmed to be arriving.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hold on. Who is everyone currently predicting for Challenger Pack 7?
Hayabusa. Always Hayabusa.

Is everything a corruption of the word Neptune in this game?
All of the characters are based on video game consoles.

Main character Neptune is based on the unreleased Sega Neptune.

OoT easily.

TP Ganon just looks fat, and not even in a good way like WW Ganon can pull it off. He looks way too slow and bulky in TP.
Ganon, or Ganondorf? Cause OoT is easily the best Ganon, but the best Ganondorf is Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom