• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't see a Gen 2 remake happening anytime soon, lol.

Soulsilver and Heartgold came out in 2009, which isn't as old as Fire Red and Leaf Green, which came out on 2004.

I hope this doesn't sound dumb. Gen 4 is the only pre-2010's generation that didn't get a remake.

Also would Black 2 and White 2 count as remakes?

Last edited by a moderator:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Soulsilver and Heartgold came out in 2009, which isn't as old as Fire Red and Leaf Green, which came out on 2004.

I hope this doesn't sound dumb. Gen 4 is the only pre-2010's generation that didn't get a remake.

No, B2 and W2 are sequals.

Wait, if Black and White were to ever get remakes, how will they handle the sequals?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Figure I'll put a reminder out there- there's potential for particular insiders to hint at who the next character is leading up to the actual reveal. Some journalists get the information/press kits prior to reveal so that they're prepared to write their pieces on it, and therefore have the materials (this is why folks like Imhran Kahn or Zhuge are able to hint at things).

They never usually outright say anything, but just know there's potential for it after a reveal is scheduled/announced.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

A Gen 2 remake now will likely be another Let's Go game.

Shroob

Sup?
Figure I'll put a reminder out there- there's potential for particular insiders to hint at who the next character is leading up to the actual reveal. Some journalists get the information/press kits prior to reveal so that they're prepared to write their pieces on it, and therefore have the materials (this is why folks like Imhran Kahn or Zhuge are able to hint at things.

They never usually outright say anything, but just know there's potential for it after a reveal is scheduled/announced.
We know lol

But we also know that we're not getting a Newcomer in a Pokemon Direct, so there's no reason to look into them until the announcement of an announcement happens.

D

Deleted member

What is going to be painful is if CP7 is a character not many want, then there will be heated posts in here for a month, and then we will all beg for CP8 right after a month, and we will return full circle.

Shroob

Sup?
What is going to be painful is if CP7 is a character not many want, then there will be heated posts in here for a month, and then we will all beg for CP8 right after a month, and we will return full circle.
That's gonna happen anyway

Despite people proclaiming they realize this is probably all we're getting for the rest of the year.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
We know lol

But we also know that we're not getting a Newcomer in a Pokemon Direct, so there's no reason to look into them until the announcement of an announcement happens.
There's no doubt in my mind that there's a 0% chance of a Smash reveal with Pokemon Directs, as that's par for the course. Anybody expecting one needs to take a step back and just kinda realize it ain't happening, though I'm not sure anybody here is saying that.

I was mainly referring to the fact that, if Smash is announced late this week or early next week, potential hints will be put out there shortly afterward. So in the spirit of avoiding spoilers is all I mean.

Even if some folks already know, I figured I might as well put that reminder out there.

D

Deleted member

That's gonna happen anyway

Despite people proclaiming they realize this is probably all we're getting for the rest of the year.
But with a "Wow!" character for CP7, the begging for CP8 will be postponed, and there won't be as much salty posts on top of that.

Shroob

Sup?
How won't it? People would be talking more about how hype CP7 is, and how they were able to get in for a month.
Because this is how speculation works:

Months of "Sakurai pleeeeeease give us the next character
We get the character and about a day~couple of days of "Oh this is neat!"
Less than a week later "Okay so who do you think is CPx?"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
But with a "Wow!" character for CP7, the begging for CP8 will be postponed, and there won't be as much salty posts on top of that.
Even Banjo, a character many have asked for, had people shift discussion over to the next character after a short amount of time. There's only so long that the speculation scene is willing to talk about the current known character before they move on to guessing the next one.

No, B2 and W2 are sequals.

Wait, if Black and White were to ever get remakes, how will they handle the sequals?
Probably be a post-game episode like the Delta Episode.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Figure I'll put a reminder out there- there's potential for particular insiders to hint at who the next character is leading up to the actual reveal. Some journalists get the information/press kits prior to reveal so that they're prepared to write their pieces on it, and therefore have the materials (this is why folks like Imhran Kahn or Zhuge are able to hint at things.

Gonna be interesting to see if any suspiciously innocuous statements akin to "hey Hyrule Warriors sure was a good game" start cropping up in the next little while. Everyone is probably going to be on high alert to try to overanalyze the usual suspects, so that should be fun. Ngl though, at least them being all weird, coy and cagey would hopefully signify being in the home stretch.

Of course, that's assuming they haven't already dropped hints.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Gonna be interesting to see if any suspiciously innocuous statements akin to "hey Hyrule Warriors sure was a good game" start cropping up in the next little while. Everyone is probably going to be on high alert to try to overanalyze the usual suspects, so that should be fun. Ngl though, at least them being all weird, coy and cagey would hopefully signify being in the home stretch.

Of course, that's assuming they haven't already dropped hints.
That there is some dangerous ideas.

Now we're gonna have somebody analyze the pic of Khan's Meatball Bomber sandwich and make the connection that Super Meat Boy is in smh.

D

Deleted member

This is why I've shifted to using Smash speculation to find new games to got into instead of ramming myself against a wall. Given how quickly I've fallen in love with Ys, among other things, I'd say that my new strategy has paid of quite nicely.
Same, I have been grinding heavily in Terraria.

D

Deleted member

Figure I'll put a reminder out there- there's potential for particular insiders to hint at who the next character is leading up to the actual reveal. Some journalists get the information/press kits prior to reveal so that they're prepared to write their pieces on it, and therefore have the materials (this is why folks like Imhran Kahn or Zhuge are able to hint at things).

Maybe Zhuge will just straight up say this will be his favorite reveal ever and everyone starts wondering whether if it's a hint to a Tencent game or Dynasty Warriors.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Meestar Sakurai, can you pwease make the next character cater specificawwy to my wiking? Tank you...

(In all seriousness, I'm going to laugh my ass off if we get another "anime" type character, I want to watch more people rage over "too much anime in Smash" on YouTube.)

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Meestar Sakurai, can you pwease make the next character cater specificawwy to my wiking? Tank you...

(In all seriousness, I'm going to laugh my ass off if we get another "anime" type character, I want to watch more people rage over "too much anime in Smash" on YouTube.)
I mean, that's gonna happen 100%. We're gonna get at least 1 character with anime aesthetic in this pass. Probably more, if you ask me, specially if we keep in mind Smash 4 DLC and the first Fighter Pass.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
.....we did?

As soon as she came out, people started talking conspiracy theories about Geno due to the Gamespot rumor and MinMin was kinda brushed aside.
I think part of that was because we had three months to discuss pretty much every ARMS character, and people had narrowed it down to about five or six plausible options within the first week. Her playstyle was fairly unorthodox, which might not have helped.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I was more excited about what the choice of ARMS character would mean for upcoming DLC (whether or not it would seemingly confirm that spirits and/or assist trophies were ruled out) than I was for the ARMS character. (I played the free trial of the game, but it didn't hook me) Not sure how many people felt the same way.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I don't get why people freak out over characters in Smash.

If you are so upset with Smash over characters, just play another game. Simple as that.
People view Smash Bros. as a celebration of gaming. People also forget that Smash Bros. is developed in Japan, directed by a Japanese man, and created by a team of housed in, guess where, Japan. Ignorant people cannot figure out that a game from Japan is obviously going to have more Japanese influence than a game developed elsewhere. They're mad because Sakurai doesn't cater to American culture.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
One thing I will continue to recommend to folks is to always try new games if/when you're interested. It can make Smash speculation more fun than usual, but even if you're not necessarily looking to tie it into Smash it can be a total blast.

I've mentioned my Smash challenge in the past (play at least one game from each series with a playable character in Smash), but it's led me to play many games without playable characters anyway, sometimes having played them in preparation for a potential character addition in the first place.

In the past year, I've played Dragon Quest XIS (great), The Witcher 3 (great), NieR Automata (great), Celeste (great), Bravely Default (great), Bravely Second (pretty good), Ace Attorney 1-3, Apollo Justice, and Ace Attorney Investigations (good stuff!), Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Ori and the Blind Forest, and many others. I'm now in the middle of playing Dark Souls and loving that too.

Games are awesome, and half the reason some of the games/characters generate so much hype is because of how awesome a wide selection of different games are. I'm not saying this in an effort to say, "They don't like what I like, so clearly they need to play the games first to learn the errors of their ways", I'm saying it because I find immense enjoyment in trying new games, and even considering the context of those characters in Smash. That's why my opinions flipped on a number of characters, like Dante, Crash Bandicoot, 2B, and a handful of others.

But yeah, if anybody is looking for recommendations I'd be more than happy to help!

...I've probably played too many games this year.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
One thing I will continue to recommend to folks is to always try new games if/when you're interested. It can make Smash speculation more fun than usual, but even if you're not necessarily looking to tie it into Smash it can be a total blast.

I've mentioned my Smash challenge in the past (play at least one game from each series with a playable character in Smash), but it's led me to play many games without playable characters anyway, sometimes having played them in preparation for a potential character addition in the first place.

In the past year, I've played Dragon Quest XIS (great), The Witcher 3 (great), NieR Automata (great), Celeste (great), Bravely Default (great), Bravely Second (pretty good), Ace Attorney 1-3, Apollo Justice, and Ace Attorney Investigations (good stuff!), Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Ori and the Blind Forest, and many others. I'm now in the middle of playing Dark Souls and loving that too.

Games are awesome, and half the reason some of the games/characters generate so much hype is because of how awesome a wide selection of different games are. I'm not saying this in an effort to say, "They don't like what I like, so clearly they need to play the games first to learn the errors of their ways", I'm saying it because I find immense enjoyment in trying new games, and even considering the context of those characters in Smash. That's why my opinions flipped on a number of characters, like Dante, Crash Bandicoot, 2B, and a handful of others.

But yeah, if anybody is looking for recommendations I'd be more than happy to help!

I know what you mean. I am trying out the new Crash Bandicoot game later this week.

D

Deleted member

Great advice!

I got a question. What if you are stuck in a game for a while, and it is fun, but you don't get to experience much games as a result?

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

Considering what the major upcoming games for Switch are both in terms of third and first party, I fully expect for it to be mostly "anime" type characters again.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's no doubt in my mind that there's a 0% chance of a Smash reveal with Pokemon Directs, as that's par for the course. Anybody expecting one needs to take a step back and just kinda realize it ain't happening, though I'm not sure anybody here is saying that.

I was mainly referring to the fact that, if Smash is announced late this week or early next week, potential hints will be put out there shortly afterward. So in the spirit of avoiding spoilers is all I mean.

Even if some folks already know, I figured I might as well put that reminder out there.
We had an isabelle reveal in another direct, so I don't think it's sooo far out of the realm to have a random clip at the end with a smash reveal or something. Not that I expect it, just don't think it's 0 % :p

Shroob

Sup?
We had an isabelle reveal in another direct, so I don't think it's sooo far out of the realm to have a random clip at the end with a smash reveal or something. Not that I expect it, just don't think it's 0 % :p
The Isabelle reveal was in a General Direct, to date, we have never once gotten a Smash reveal outside of a General or Smash Direct.

This has held true between Smash 4 and Ultimate. The only exception to this rule was Lucina and Robin, which has never happened again, and that was a basically shadow dropped video without anything else attached to it.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Isabelle was revealed in a general direct. It was followed by a tease of New Horizons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom