• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still stand. The only Namco reps that have a chance at this point are Lloyd, Dark Souls rep, and Don-Chan.

I'd love Nightmare but unfortunately, I just don't see him happening.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Among Us only shot up in popularity in the previous months. I'm thinking neither him nor someone like Zagreus from Hades is going to make an appearance as a mii costume.
Yeah, I suppose them being the next WTF Mii Costume is unlikely but I would be surprise if they came later like next year. Scorpion would be pretty much a WTF character or perhaps a costume from Rivals of Ather

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
At this point I think Namco will have nothing. In the first pass, Capcom had a bunch of Mii costume here and there, and it end up that they didn't have any characters. I feel like that's what going to happen with Namco with Heihashi being back in the first wave of pass 2, and later Lloyd and Gil will be back and that will be it for Namco. I don't think Nightmare is impossible, but I really think that is we have one last fighting game character it's going to be someone from Guilty gear. Soul calibur has been less and less popular, while Guilty gear is way more popular right now than it ever was. Also Guilty gear have some Switch presence, which might help.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well this tournament is really making me rage inside. Items everywhere, spammy people, awful stages. arghh.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, what do you folks think about Impa?

Do you think she has what it takes to join Smash?
Unlikely for DLC, but she's got a good shot for the base game.
thoughts on nightmare? I genuinely think hes really really likely for this pack
Maybe, maybe not. It'd feel a bit odd to have Soulcalibur before Tekken, but Nightmare and co. can at least say they fought a Nintendo character already. Still, I think a Tales or Dark Souls rep would be more likely; Maybe they'd be Lloyd/Chosen Undead, maybe someone else.
I WANT to say KOS-MOS is another slept on Bamco choice

but

after the fake leaks of last December... I feel like she’s become a target of mockery now 😢
From what I can gather, KOS-MOS is basically Bamco's Morrigan; A popular and recognizable character from a game that has fallen into obscurity, but laid the foundation for future games (Refined the combo system for Darkstalkers and set up Xenoblade for Xenogears).
Based on that, though, I don't think she's very likely. The DLC are themed around a certain game or series (And in Terry's case, an entire company), with the character being emblematic of the theme. As such, I'm not too confident on characters that became popular while their game as a whole fell out of focus.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Let's be real here.

Klonoa doesn't have any reasonable shot.

His franchise went the way of Chibi-Robo and Custom Robo. Not financially successful enough to survive and not popular enough as a character to be referenced.
PainAndSuffering.png

Yeah, rub it in, why don't ya. It already hurts enough on it's own.

But wait! Something happened recently.
The tweet speaks for itself. The Klonoa Encore trademark got certified, so all it really needs is a certification for America/Europe and then it's good to go. Does it mean Smash? Not at all, but it's a victory regardless. At least, I hope it'll lead to a victory...

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
By this logic, Don-chan is completely out of the running, yet we still have people in this thread who think Don-chan has a shot.
Ooh, I haven't seen Don-chan in his taunt yet.

That being said, I don't have strong feelings for the character or his series so it wouldn't bother me if he was out of the running.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From what I can gather, KOS-MOS is basically Bamco's Morrigan; A popular and recognizable character from a game that has fallen into obscurity, but laid the foundation for future games (Refined the combo system for Darkstalkers and set up Xenoblade for Xenogears).
Based on that, though, I don't think she's very likely. The DLC are themed around a certain game or series (And in Terry's case, an entire company), with the character being emblematic of the theme. As such, I'm not too confident on characters that became popular while their game as a whole fell out of focus.
Imagine if either of them got in, and they just have stuff from all of their crossover appearances. lol

That's Dig Dug? Wat?

EDIT: Looking it up, it seems like a very uncommon appearance for the character. He's usually in a chibi artstyle.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
View attachment 286917

The tweet speaks for itself. The Klonoa Encore trademark got certified, so all it really needs is a certification for America/Europe and then it's good to go. Does it mean Smash? Not at all, but it's a victory regardless. At least, I hope it'll lead to a victory...
So this is how Isaac fans feel...

Also, yeah, Klonoa for Smash.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Perhabs the development progress of FP2 goes very slowly onward , i guess.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Ooh, I haven't seen Don-chan in his taunt yet.

That being said, I don't have strong feelings for the character or his series so it wouldn't bother me if he was out of the running.
I don't think that being in the Pac-man roulette means that you're out of the running. I see those characters the same way I see spirits (at least base game spirits). They where chosen way before the second pass was decide, so they could go back on their decision and make them playable.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If you always think of trademarks as gospel you will only get burned, Besides renewals a lot of developers file trademarks for names of games that might have been in development at one point and cancelled and other stuff like that

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 286917

Did not know about this.

I still don't think Klonoa has a reasonable shot but, hey at least we may get a Klonoa game again.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, who the heck knows at this point? All we know for certain is that Namco DOESN'T own her, and they are/were VERY upset about it.
So... why does the 1-UP arcade machine of Ms. Pac-Man come with other Namco arcade games?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, Bandai Namco X Capcom happened. They decided he wasn't cool enough, and so they... Gave him some upgrades, shall we say?
Having looked up his more common appearance, he was probably changed because he'd be super tiny otherwise.

looks up Bandai Namco X Capcom to find they also included Klonoa and Arthur

OK I was wrong, but in my defense there isn't much logic going on here.

SKX31

Smash Master
Well this tournament is really making me rage inside. Items everywhere, spammy people, awful stages. arghh.
Yeah, I had a bad feeling about the ruleset. It's a shame too, because it's NoA's first official tournament within Ultimate's modes.

If there's anything to be gained from this, it's that more people at Nintendo hopefully learn that items + people playing seriously* = a bad time generally. Even if it will take quite a while to limit / remove the items and awful stages from future tournaments.

*Picking Projectile heavy / fast characters and playing campy in order to get as many items as possible.

Having looked up his more common appearance, he was probably changed because he'd be super tiny otherwise.

looks up Bandai Namco X Capcom to find they also included Klonoa and Arthur

OK I was wrong, but in my defense there isn't much logic going on here.
It is strange, yeah, that Klonoa etc. didn't return for the PXZ games and that non-human characters like Sonic / Amaterasu didn't join the roster. Not sure why they changed course after BN X Capcom.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So... why does the 1-UP arcade machine of Ms. Pac-Man come with other Namco arcade games?
Actually, I found this blog post on the Pac-Man Wiki that talks about the whole situation. It's a bit of a read, and might be updated again (it was last updated in June of this year), but basically it involves some company called "AtGames". Note that there might be some mild language, so viewer discretion is advised.

https://pacman.fandom.com/wiki/User...ac-Man_Licensing_Fiasco_2:_The_New_Adventures

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually, I found this blog post on the Pac-Man Wiki that talks about the whole situation. It's a bit of a read, and might be updated again (it was last updated in June of this year), but basically it involves some company called "AtGames". Note that there might be some mild language, so viewer discretion is advised.

https://pacman.fandom.com/wiki/User...ac-Man_Licensing_Fiasco_2:_The_New_Adventures
So, from what I got from skimming it, Bandai Namco does in fact, own Ms. PAC-MAN. What they do not own are the royalties for Ms. PAC-MAN, and instead, they were owned by GCC. Right before they were going to get the royalty rights, AtGames went under their noses, and bought them because they thought they could poop out cheapo Ms. PAC-MAN arcade machines. This was not the case, and also, it turns out they only bought a single person's share of the royalty rights or something (for $10,000,000 no less. lol). Even so, AtGames is an incredibly shady company, and Bandai Namco rightfully doesn't want to give them any money, so no Ms. PAC-MAN stuff unless it goes through a loophole, which presumably, her appearance in the PAC-Land stage does. Whether or not an alternate costume for PAC-MAN would also go through a loophole is anyone's guess, but my guess would be no since they haven't done it, and it wouldn't have even been that difficult since the two characters aren't that different from each other.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Did not know about this.

I still don't think Klonoa has a reasonable shot but, hey at least we may get a Klonoa game again.
Yeah, horse before the cart. In order to start actively supporting him for Smash, I need something tangible to hold onto to reassure myself he has a shot. Until he gets that game, I don't have anything to hold onto without it falling apart, and by then it'll be too late for Smash beyond some sort of behind-the-scenes deal for Nintendo to heavily advertise the little guy. More than anything, I just want to be able to play his games myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom