• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Here's the real problem with assist trophies: the vast majority of them are characters Sakurai/Nintendo was never going to make playable, anyways.

Like they're not going to make Waluigi playable in this game because "welp, he's already an assist trophy, can't work around that", it's because he's ****ing Waluigi and they obviously don't care about him or think he should be playable. Same thing with Isaac, Krystal, Ashley, etc. It's harsh, but most ATs are just irrelevant side characters or protagonists from dead C-D series Nintendo has no interest in pushing.

Keep in mind that over three games, only three characters have every been upgraded from AT status: Little Mac, Dark Samus and Isabelle and all three of them have had special circumstances (Little Mac getting a new game, Isabelle becoming the mascot of AC and Dark Samus functioning as a quick and dirty echo fighter) that most other AT characters just haven't. The fact that characters like Waluigi, Samurai Goroh and Lyn have remained ATs for three games now is a testament to that.
An important distinction to make:

I, and many others, don't think assist trophies prevent the inclusion of a character, rather that the status of being an assist character is direct evidence that they were never going to be added that game to begin with, their popularity being recognized, but out of choice/necessity, not including them as full characters. It is therefore redundant to say "ATs were deconfirmed for their other factors not relating to being an AT" when being an AT is representative of said factors.

To say that people are thinking "ATs deconfirm characters" is at best ignoring a lot of logic out and at worst misrepresenting what is being said to argue something against something much easier.

Now on the off-chance I eat crow and get a deacades old character from a game that hasn't been relevant for almost as long. hey, I'm gonna be ecstatic if it's Lyn.
As much as it pains me these two posts bring an excellent point for why ATs may not be upgraded. The characters that got chosen as ATs aren't important enough to Nintendo and Sakurai to justify making them playable fighters. Unless something major happened between the base game planning and the present time it's unlikely that they would have changed their minds. The only notable incident that does come to mind is the outrage over Waluigi's AT reveal that Nintendo acknowledged, but even then it's doubtful that it was enough to change their minds. Ridley also got an outrage back in 4 that Sakurai acknowledged but regardless he didn't make him a fighter as DLC. Though I will say that Ridley's circumstances differ a bit from Waluigi, so even though it's the closest comparison, it's not an entirely accurate one.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
What if we do get an AT upgrade for DLC but its not for Waluigi, Lyn, Issac, Bomberman, Zero, Ashley or Skull Kid.

No no, it'll be for our true queen:

Nikki
o
Real talk, I was actually kind of shocked that she wasn't this game's WTF. She would be another "hardware" character akin to Mr. Game & Watch, ROB and Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm currently on the camp that Assist Trophies disconfirm because it makes a ton more sense in my mind than the alternative, which is that both Sakurai and the ARMS team actually believe that bull**** about everyone being the protagonist. That's one of the dumbest explanations for a character's inclusion I've heard, and therefore it's preferable to me to assume that it's just PR talk to avoid firmly disconfirming a bunch of beloved characters.

Despite that, I still remember the year in which I advocated for the possibility of AT promotions, so I won't bemoan anyone for arguing the possibility, as I know what it felt like. More power to the ones who can still find it in themselves to argue and debate in favor of it.

One thing I do really disagree with is that all the characters that are ATs wouldn't get in regardless. Many of the characters would be outright seen as frontrunners if they weren't ATs, and others fit the exact profile of the characters with good chances that speculation usually ignores. This will probably remain until one of them gets a new game, as that's pretty much the only language Smashboards speaks.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As much as it pains me these two posts bring an excellent point for why ATs may not be upgraded. The characters that got chosen as ATs aren't important enough to Nintendo and Sakurai to justify making them playable fighters. Unless something major happened between the base game planning and the present time it's unlikely that they would have changed their minds. The only notable incident that does come to mind is the outrage over Waluigi's AT reveal that Nintendo acknowledged, but even then it's doubtful that it was enough to change their minds. Ridley also got an outrage back in 4 that Sakurai acknowledged but regardless he didn't make him a fighter as DLC. Though I will say that Ridley's circumstances differ a bit from Waluigi, so even though it's the closest comparison, it's not an entirely accurate one.
I think Ridley's case was that Sakurai was not willing to see how Ridley couldn't be too big until the requests just kept coming in via the ballot. Waluigi, well, I'm not sure. FP1 was too pre-planned for Nintendo to reconsider, and he'll have to overcome the obstacle that is filling out a challenger pack.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I think they're talking about the Smash 4 Waluigi POTD.
If that is the case, that POTD was during the base game's development. Meaning, it most likely did not have an effect on DLC development.

It should be mentioned that ATs have been upgraded before. Little Mac and Dark Samus got upgraded to playable status in the next iteration of their respective games. So I personally don't think that image has anything to do with how fighter selection is really done considering an AT was upgraded in the same game.

I should also mention that in my opinion, I feel like the Smash team wouldn't limit themselves of their artistic vision. Game developers are artists, and most artists want as much creative freedom as possible. So because of that, I feel like the dev team would not impose limits onto themselves.

Heck, the team already disables ATs on certain stages for certain reasons, such as Alucard on Wii Fit Studio (because of mirrors LOL.) So there is precedent for them disabling ATs under certain circumstances.

I also think that Nintendo doesn't care about imposing limits as they are a corporate entity. If they want a certain fighter as DLC that's already an AT, they will request that fighter if they know it makes them money.

So... basically... in my opinion... I think there's more than enough evidence that the "powers that be" don't really care about that stuff. As long as it makes money to them, I think they're fine with it lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
Kirby Fighters 2 was just shadow dropped.

Aaaw yeah, I'm ready for those competitive Kirby Fighters 2 tournaments on Twitch.

So I can see so, so many Kirbehs be CLABBERHED. :4dedede:

Well, now we know Kirby Fighters isn't a reveal that precludes a Smash announcement this week. They, uh, don't appear to care much about it.
It's evidently a supplementary title just like Kirby Fighters 1 was. Still though, a battle-focused Kirby title could do relatively well on the Switch, especially on a cheaper price point.

Not expecting it to be the next Fall Guys of course, but it could certainly supplement for example casual Smash parties by giving another option.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Can we just confirm that Bandana Dee is a major character now? He's made consistent appearances, including here, and he's even used as Kirby's buddy in the Tag-Team mode.

Mainstays aside, Gooey's quite the pleasant surprise. Wasn't expecting him to show up here. Magolor's cool too; He's usually not much of a fighter, so seeing him in action's pretty sweet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I just got done watching the trailer, it looks like a ****ing Smash clone to me.

(which is pretty ironic all things considered)
It kind of feels like HAL wishing they were developing Smash again.
I wonder if this actually uses the netcode people like. Gah I forget thename of it.
Rollback. And no, I wouldn't think so if it has 4-player battles with random items, which is what Sakurai thought was an issue for rollback.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Shroob

Sup?
Kirby Fighters 2 was just shadow dropped.

Saw this coming from a mile away.

To anyone who's still expecting a non Game-specific/Partner Mini/Direct this year

Stop, it's not happening lol

Goombaic

Smash Ace
AT's don't matter. Spirits are literally the main singleplayer content of this game and they **** all over them with Min Min. AT's are far less important so they probably forgot about them while developing the DLC.

Anyway, good to know the trailer for Kirby Fighters 2 finally dropped. Gooey's a nice surprise, I was only expecting the main four and Magolor.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Saw this coming from a mile away.

To anyone who's still expecting a non Game-specific/Partner Mini/Direct this year

Stop, it's not happening lol
No need to remind me, I'm already well aware that Nintendo's marketing department forgot how to properly market **** this year.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Welp, looks like I was wrong. Kirby Fighters shadowdrop it is.

Can we just confirm that Bandana Dee is a major character now? He's made consistent appearances, including here, and he's even used as Kirby's buddy in the Tag-Team mode.

Mainstays aside, Gooey's quite the pleasant surprise. Wasn't expecting him to show up here. Magolor's cool too; He's usually not much of a fighter, so seeing him in action's pretty sweet.
Yeah, that was a nice surprise. And it's nice to see characters like Dee, Gooey and Magolor working in what is pretty much a platform fighter environment, lol.

D

Deleted member

Is it weird that I actually want MORE assist trophies added?

Not everyone can be playable so maybe add some side characters that weren't getting in anyway as assists so they can still show up on the battlefield.
No, I would like it as well. I would be totally fine if they were done with Mii Costumes and introduced a new character with like 2-3 Assist Trophies instead. Or a new character, a new assist trophy from that character's series, and a new item or two. If we don't get another pokemon this pass, I would be fine with a bunch of new Pokeball pokemon added instead too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
No need to remind me, I'm already well aware that Nintendo's marketing department forgot how to properly market **** this year.
As much as we ALL want a Direct, this is fine to be frank.

It sucks a lot not having that build up of "OH **** A DIRECT WAS ANNOUNCED FOR TOMORROW!", but at the end of the day, Directs are just glorified commercials.

Granted, they're glorified commercials that I want back, as does everyone.

zferolie

Smash Hero
gonna be real, i predict theyre just gonna drop the next fighter with 0 warning
If we knew who the fighter was, then yes. But since we don't know, I think Nintendo will livestream the sakurai presents video, so everyone sees it at once.

However, I can see the fighter being shadowdropped that same day after the stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom