• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Are we sure that's a real trailer? I mean my God, that English announcer was so bad it sounded like this was some kind of parody trailer. Dude must've been 6 cups deep into Nyquil; he had absolutely NO emotion!

zferolie

Smash Hero
I would like to propose that, until we get the next Smash reveal, we convert Smashboards into "Kirbyboards", and talk about Kirby Fighters 2. Because let's be real, this is just Smash but with Kirby characters.

So who you all maining?
Staff kirby with cheerleader hat because that was adorable

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I would like to propose that, until we get the next Smash reveal, we convert Smashboards into "Kirbyboards", and talk about Kirby Fighters 2. Because let's be real, this is just Smash but with Kirby characters.

So who you all maining?
I can actually see the admins doing this for April fools next year.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
As much as we ALL want a Direct, this is fine to be frank.

It sucks a lot not having that build up of "OH **** A DIRECT WAS ANNOUNCED FOR TOMORROW!", but at the end of the day, Directs are just glorified commercials.

Granted, they're glorified commercials that I want back, as does everyone.
The problem isn't the lack of any build up... it's the lack of transparency until the last minute.

Other companies have had zero problems telling us what they have down the line, even despite the virus going on. Sony and Microsoft are going full-on guns blazing with their consoles. Bandai Namco, Arc System Works, and Capcom have had no trouble with revealing upcoming characters for their fighting games. Those same companies will also be present at TGS to tell us even more info on their upcoming stuff. Yeah, most of that stuff being announced isn't coming until 2021, but at least we know it's coming.

Not too long ago, there was a period when we knew nothing about Nintendo's first-party plans for this year, it was the perfect time for at least a Direct mini, and people would've been completely understanding of any delays like with Metroid Prime 4. Their response was to instead give us info on third-party stuff exclusively (and not even for hotly-anticipated stuff like Bayonetta 3, Bravely Default II, and the Doom Eternal Switch port), and then eventually when they reach the absolute last minute they can hold their cards close, they start drip-feeding us info on first-party stuff at a snail's pace.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

So who you all maining?
Star Allies was really the Smash Ultimate of the Kirby series in terms of characters.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah I think roll back is the prefered netcode.
I really hope Nintendo would use that - alas, they're fiscally conservative, and neither they (nor Bandai-Namco who, IIRC, developed Ultimate's netcode) use rollback. They generally prefer delay-based due to it being cheaper.

That said, rollback does have many major advantages when implemented properly: one of them being that they allow for much more consistent inputs. That's one of the areas where Ultimate's (official Smash servers in general too) delay-based online system is at its weakest - inputs (and thus attacks) come out much later, and that severely impacts the experience.

While Nintendo could probably implement rollback into Kirby Fighters and I'd argue possibly even Ultimate:

... implementing rollback netcode requires expertise with rollback, it takes a long time as well as loads of resources - even "just" itemless 1v1s - and the resource requirements do increase when factoring in items etc. That's probably the main reason why Sakurai and co. decided not to include rollback in Ultimate. Sakurai mentioned that "it had a lot of adverse side effects" and I honestly believe that translates to "Those adverse side effects were too much for us to handle in time: if we were to account for all the side effects etc. we'd have to delay the entire game for at least 6-12 months".

I doubt rollback's in Kirby Fighters due to a similar reason, really. It'd take a lot of time to add to a relatively small release. Sure, Them's Fightin' Herds has rollback. but Nintendo might not view a similarily small game as Fighters as "worth it".

Mario's dead.
RIP Mario.

First choked by an evil space pirate alien.

And now, suplexed by a possibly-secretly-evil black hole of food and cuteness.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The problem isn't the lack of any build up... it's the lack of transparency until the last minute.

Other companies have had zero problems telling us what they have down the line, even despite the virus going on. Sony and Microsoft are going full-on guns blazing with their consoles. Bandai Namco, Arc System Works, and Capcom have had no trouble with revealing upcoming characters for their fighting games. Those same companies will also be present at TGS to tell us even more info on their upcoming stuff. Yeah, most of that stuff being announced isn't coming until 2021, but at least we know it's coming.

Not too long ago, there was a period when we knew nothing about Nintendo's first-party plans for this year, it was the perfect time for at least a Direct mini, and people would've been completely understanding of any delays like with Metroid Prime 4. Their response was to instead give us info on third-party stuff exclusively (and not even for hotly-anticipated stuff like Bayonetta 3, Bravely Default II, and the Doom Eternal Switch port), and then eventually when they reach the absolute last minute they can hold their cards close, they start drip-feeding us info on first-party stuff at a snail's pace.
Nintendo is an island, they are an entity that is unto itself.

Aka

"**** what the other guys are doing, we're doing our own thing. Our customers want transparency? **** no here's a shadowdrop. Shadowdrop. SHADOWDROP."

Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drum, for better or worse, you really can't compare them to their rivals or peers simply because they just... don't follow the norms.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Aka

"** what the other guys are doing, we're doing our own thing. Our customers want transparency? ** no here's a shadowdrop. Shadowdrop. SHADOWDROP."

Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drum, for better or worse, you really can't compare them to their rivals or peers simply because they just... don't follow the norms.
Y' know, this is exactly why the comparision between Nintendo and Valve seems apt.

Because Valve does the exact same thing. Down to not announcing new characters, games etc. until Valve decides it's time to do so.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Aka

"** what the other guys are doing, we're doing our own thing. Our customers want transparency? ** no here's a shadowdrop. Shadowdrop. SHADOWDROP."

They can march to the beat of their drum all they want. Doesn't change that Nintendo's marketing this year has been mildly unexciting at best and downright abysmal at worst, even without comparing them to other companies.

Shroob

Sup?
They can march to the beat of their drum all they want. Doesn't change that Nintendo's marketing this year has been mildly unexciting at best and downright abysmal at worst, even without comparing them to other companies.
No, I 100% agree.

But, what can you do about it? We can hope Covid ends so they get back on track, but even with lackluster advertising, they're still having a successful year from what I've been hearing when it comes to finances.

We can only hope they don't adopt this format going forward, because honestly, they were already keen on killing Directs off, this may be their push to do so in the future, which is somewhat frightening.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really hope Nintendo would use that - alas, they're fiscally conservative, and neither they (nor Bandai-Namco who, IIRC, developed Ultimate's netcode) use rollback. They generally prefer delay-based due to it being cheaper.

That said, rollback does have many major advantages when implemented properly: one of them being that they allow for much more consistent inputs. That's one of the areas where Ultimate's (official Smash servers in general too) delay-based online system is at its weakest - inputs (and thus attacks) come out much later, and that severely impacts the experience.

While Nintendo could probably implement rollback into Kirby Fighters and I'd argue possibly even Ultimate:

... implementing rollback netcode requires expertise with rollback, it takes a long time as well as loads of resources - even "just" itemless 1v1s - and the resource requirements do increase when factoring in items etc. That's probably the main reason why Sakurai and co. decided not to include rollback in Ultimate. Sakurai mentioned that "it had a lot of adverse side effects" and I honestly believe that translates to "Those adverse side effects were too much for us to handle in time: if we were to account for all the side effects etc. we'd have to delay the entire game for at least 6-12 months".

I doubt rollback's in Kirby Fighters due to a similar reason, really. It'd take a lot of time to add to a relatively small release. Sure, Them's Fightin' Herds has rollback. but Nintendo might not view a similarily small game as Fighters as "worth it".

RIP Mario.

First choked by an evil space pirate alien.

And now, suplexed by a possibly-secretly-evil black hole of food and cuteness.
I'm sure Sakurai would be able to learn it, if he had the time to do so. Sadly he works himself to death already.

Now, Tokyo game show drops tommorow I think(or friday). Other then Hyrule warriors news(which is Saturday I think?), any other nintendo news we may get? Think that maybe FP7 could be shown there, or they stream the sakurai presents from there?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Nintendo's marketing has been weird this year. I'm sure some of it has to do with COVID, but even then their means of reaching out to their fans and followers to address the situation have been largely odd.

They haven't spoken to fans much about what their plans are or what they're going to do going forward, in light of the circumstances or otherwise. Information on specific games has been weird at times as well. BotW2 hasn't even been teased since it's reveal last year, and instead we got the sudden reveal of a another Warriors spin-off to tide fans over in it's place.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm sure Sakurai would be able to learn it, if he had the time to do so. Sadly he works himself to death already.

Now, Tokyo game show drops tommorow I think(or friday). Other then Hyrule warriors news(which is Saturday I think?), any other nintendo news we may get? Think that maybe FP7 could be shown there, or they stream the sakurai presents from there?
Nintendo technically isn't even attending it. Koei is presenting Hyrule Warriors info. So no

I pray that we will know more info about smash by next friday though

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Okay, I don't understand. A fully-fleshed out Kirby game is just dropped out of thin air completely at random? This doesn't follow the trend of prior shadowdrops. Usually, a game will be shadowdropped as an announcement, but this Kirby game skipped that and had its release shadowdropped. If someone didn't see yesterday's leak, then the announcement and release were simultaneously shadowdropped.

Does this mean Nintendo doesn't care about this game or something? Of course they do care, but I mean like, how do you not even officially announce the game?? They just went "okay here's Kirby, bye!"

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Nintendo doesn't do TGS, so besides Hyrule Warriors 2 from Koei Tecmo, the most I'd expect is companies that are already there like Koei Tecmo, Capcom, and Bandai Namco announcing brand new games or ports of pre-existing games for the Switch.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, I don't understand. A fully-fleshed out Kirby game is just dropped out of thin air completely at random? This doesn't follow the trend of prior shadowdrops. Usually, a game will be shadowdropped as an announcement, but this Kirby game skipped that and had its release shadowdropped. If someone didn't see yesterday's leak, then the announcement and release were simultaneously shadowdropped.

Does this mean Nintendo doesn't care about this game or something? Of course they do care, but I mean like, how do you not even officially announce the game?? They just went "okay here's Kirby, bye!"
To be fair, it's also a sequel to an expanded minigame that's only a third of what Nintendo games usually cost. It's evidently not supposed to be a heavy-hitter.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Nintendo technically isn't even attending it. Koei is presenting Hyrule Warriors info. So no

I pray that we will know more info about smash by next friday though
Nintendo doesn't do TGS, so besides Hyrule Warriors 2 from Koei Tecmo, the most I'd expect is companies that are already there like Koei Tecmo, Capcom, and Bandai Namco announcing brand new games or ports of pre-existing games for the Switch.

Ah gotcha gotcha. Still looking forward for that hyrule warriors info a lot.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
No, I 100% agree.

But, what can you do about it? We can hope Covid ends so they get back on track, but even with lackluster advertising, they're still having a successful year from what I've been hearing when it comes to finances.

We can only hope they don't adopt this format going forward, because honestly, they were already keen on killing Directs off, this may be their push to do so in the future, which is somewhat frightening.
What's really funny is that while the hardcore Nintendo fandom is not happy with the way things have been handled this year and were seemingly unimpressed, Nintendo was crowned the richest company in Japan this year.

As for my own thoughts on their marketing? It could've been better, but like...I care more about the games themselves more than the way they're marketed to me, and since I've been pretty satisfied this year, I can't really complain, I guess? I totally understand others were underwhelmed, but I dunno, I thought all things considered, they did pretty great this year when it comes to the games.

Plus, Covid messed with things hard so like...I'm honestly not bothered by the weird way they've handled things. Everyone's struggled one way or the other this year.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair, it's also a sequel to an expanded minigame that's only a third of what Nintendo games usually cost. It's evidently not supposed to be a heavy-hitter.
Yeah, it couldn't have had that big of a budget. The fighters are extremely likely to be recycled from Kirby Star Allies rather than made from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom