• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I mean, what I am thinking of is basically just a progression of Switch Pros every few years. Just a newer, more powerful machine that can at least stay on the periphery of what's contemporary enough to not look dated and to still accrue third-party support. Maybe the UI and the OS get revised, maybe the online sucks less, maybe the screen size is a bit different, but overall it's definitely a rendition of the same base system.

That's not to say there can't be lower-end models like the Switch Lite too, just that the Switch should exist in a perpetually advancing form until the market no longer supports it.
That's a great idea. A Switch 2 could become another "Wii/Wii U" confusion mess. A lot of people thought the Wii U was just an add-on for the Wii when it was announced.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
A third Partner direct out and I'm still sad at no new Tales games/ports. I'm hoping they're saving them to e the focus for October's to be released for it's 25th anniversary in December since there's that two months notice law in Japan. Or December's direct for 2021 since Covid screwed everything over.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
We are guaranteed at least news for some Switch exclusives next week as both Monster Hunter Rise and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity are gonna have TGS presentations.

But for the DLC stuff like Pokemon and Smash, it is possible we could get a presentation for one of them. We still don't have an actual date for the second Pokemon DLC and we still don't know who CP7 is. I think if we are gonna news outside of TGS next week it would be one of these.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, what I am thinking of is basically just a progression of Switch Pros every few years. Just a newer, more powerful machine that can at least stay on the periphery of what's contemporary enough to not look dated and to still accrue third-party support. Maybe the UI and the OS get revised, maybe the online sucks less, maybe the screen size is a bit different, but overall it's definitely a rendition of the same base system.

That's not to say there can't be lower-end models like the Switch Lite too, just that the Switch should exist in a perpetually advancing form until the market no longer supports it.
I hate this idea.

I'd rather not have to buy a $300-$400 console every two years just to play the newer games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That just sounds like card game meta decks with extra steps, but with consoles instead of decks

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Alright, good ole fashion question time!

What is your “most” most wanted character in Smash Bros? Like... the one character, that above all else, you want in the game more than any other.

For me personally, While Young Wizard from Wizard101 is high up there in terms of my wants list(well really it’s the only reasonable one outta the bunch) I would be estactic if literally anything Bushiroad got in(I imagine a Bushiroad character would be Blaster Blade or Chronojet Dragon)

Like, a card game character has always been pretty high on my wants, but I really feel that a Bushi character would be way more interesting than just simply slapping an MtG planeswalker or Dark Magician into the game and calling it a day. Like... you have your generic sword boys... but with lazer swords(The Blasters) Fiery apoloyptic dragons(Overlord and all his various evolutions and possible future forms) but then you have some out there concepts... like bug mafia(Megacolony) Football but there’s no rules(Spike Brothers) and nom nom canabalistic cyborgs dinos(Tachikaze)
There’s a lot of content you could add with just a single Bushiroad character, although reality slaps me in the face and says it’s not happening because no anime.

:terryhat: But that’s all I gots to say about that.
Obviously Sora and Layton, both of which Im sure are never happening

SKX31

Smash Master
Two-to-three months of staring at SmashBoards with very little news for the bulk of the timeframe has rotted our brains
And I know what to blame.

Kids these days don't know real music, like the Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal from 1400 B.C. (oldest surviving melody):

Music made after 1000 B.C. rots the brain.

:4pacman:

No accounting for purely handheld versions of hybrid systems, though.
Well, this is technically a pure handheld.

Nintendo Switch Lite – Official Site
Whoops.

It also touches on another weakness of Miyamoto's, which is emphasizing the "game" part of video game so much, it's to the exclusion and detriment of other aspects like story or character. Or repeating the same story over and over.

And that was fine when Miyamoto was pumping out novel hit and hit, and defining huge chunks of the industry. Because back then games were more rudimentary and thus not seen as lesser for choosing to have a barebones narrative. But now it seems like he's sidelining aspects that gaming has evolved to be able to better flesh out in favour of pure game, even though you can, and often are expected to, interweave both.

I mean I remember the story of Koizumi fighting tooth and nail to get that Rosalina story into Galaxy, which Miyamoto didn't want. But why? How did it detract from anything? If anything, most people would argue it added to the wholeness of the game.
Okay, I realize this is going into weird pseudo-psychoanalytical territory (I can't read his mind, but based on what we know about Miyamoto's early career and what he's exhibited):

I'm assuming that Miyamoto's hyperfocused on the "game" partly since Nintendo as a corporation already had a history of being a toy-maker when Miyamoto joined. He worked closely with another toymaker, Gunpei Yokoi (Game&Watch), during the early part of his career, and Yamauchi himself oversaw Nintendo's transition from electronic toys into videogames. That's probably something he internalized.

And he himself has a view on continuity akin to the Simpsons or the Mickey Mouse / Donald Duck comics (that is, negative continuity that only serves the moment*). Again, the fact that he readily dies on the lack-of-character hill willingly is really odd - but he doesn't seem to view characters as anything other than their "roles", kinda akin to that Shakespeare quote:

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
But excluding the fourth sentence (for most characters):

And one man in his time plays many parts,
Like the Hero plays the Hero role (Mario, Link, Fox) constantly, Damsel-in-Distress that (Peach, Zelda) and the bad guy Mr. Awful B. Bad (Bowser, Ganondorf, Andross). Side characters are regularily used in one game and tied to the mechanic in that game, then thrown into the Museum (F.L.U.D.D, Midna).

I know people can be incredibly stubborn on what they value the most, to the point of irrationality - here It comes off as if he hasn't fully caught on to just how much has changed in the video game industry since the more rudimentary eras. And the Rosalina story really highlights that - a deeper focus on the story might from Miyamoto's PoV detract from say time spent polishing the gameplay challenges, and it seems that Miyamoto took that position and camped on top of it for days.

*(There is a Donald Duck x Cthulhu story for example - that's never referenced in any other Duck story IIRC. Yes.)

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Ono...

I had to.

Also was Monster Hunter promoted more than Dragon Quest XI S? It got more amiibos, and it even got its own direct.
It seems like it will be. I also bet it’ll remain exclusive unlike DQXIS.

I’ll be very shocked if we don’t see a full blown new Capcom character in Ultimate (Sorry Ken). Capcom has been fairly supportive of the Switch & now they have two big exclusives on it. Plus, they’re the only company with a library of IPs comparable to Nintendo gets picked would end up being a crowd pleaser.

I love Smash

But it also makes sense why it hasn't been shown off yet. No offense to Smash, and I love it dear, but it's a 2 year old video game come December, and outside of like, Master Chief or Sora, I just don't see how you could compare a single DLC character to a video game to, ya know

Full blown triple-A releases.
But we haven’t really seen those recently besides today with Monster Hunter & I guuuuess Age of Calamity, I’ll have to see more of the latter first to tell if it’s really AAA.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I admit I was being really silly went I talked about the idea of Nintendo trolling us. Truth be told, no one knows what's really going behind their doors and they likely have a schedule already listed.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Some commemorative Smash screenshots for Super Mario 3D All-Star's release.

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet

What is your “most” most wanted character in Smash Bros? Like... the one character, that above all else, you want in the game more than any other.
Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky, no contest.

Unique and a really. really good character in her games. I dare say my favorite character in all of videogames, period. Would be an amazing addition to the roster in this game as well if it happens, not only does she bring new gimmicks to the game but also breath-taking music. She's one of those "in your dreams" picks (sort of like Joker) - but hey she's looking more likely to me than ever, what was once a dream is starting to look possible, and even somewhat likely which is saying a lot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's exactly what you said.
And you think that once the Switch Pro releases next year, people who have the base model will no longer be able to play the new releases?

Pro models don't render the old models instantly obsolete, they offer another SKU.

If there were Pro models releasing every few years (which I notice you interpreted as the absolute bare minimum of two - to be generous, I'm sure), the lifespan on each model would stay the same as a normal system. Like, a model released in 2025 could last until the 2032 model, before it was incompatible, for instance. It's just that one released in 2029 could last until, let's say, the 2036 model. And they'd all be backwards compatible.

Your interpretation has little bearing to how pro systems actually work. Your paradigm is a completely new system releasing every two years, which I'm pretty sure people understood was not what I was saying.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sora and Crash, no contest.
Sounds like there is a contest, because those are two characters :4pacman:
And you think that once the Switch Pro releases next year, people who have the base model will no longer be able to play the new releases?

Pro models don't render the old models instantly obsolete, they offer another SKU.

If there were Pro models releasing every few years (which I notice you interpreted as the absolute bare minimum of two - to be generous, I'm sure), the lifespan on each model would stay the same as a normal system. Like, a model released in 2025 could last until 2032, before it was incompatible, for instance. It's just that one released in 2029 could last until, let's say, 2036. And they'd all be backwards compatible.

Your interpretation has little bearing to how pro systems actually work. Your paradigm is a completely new system releasing every two years, which I'm pretty sure people understood was not what I was saying.
So, like phones? If so, I hope not, I'd rather just shell out once a decade for an exponential leap rather that tiny iterations on the same concept.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Most everyone else is talking about Spirit/Assist Trophy promotions, I want boss promotions.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Me too. I may hate the idea of a Switch Pro, but a Switch 2 at the end of the Switch's life cycle would be just perfect.
Super Switch.

Bring back the OG Nintendo naming convention.

I think Arthur would be pretty fun. I wonder how they'd incorporate his armour mechanics though. I was thinking he could be heavier with it on, and lose the armour at 100%; becoming a lightweight

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH with regular Switches still flying off of shelves, I really, really doubt Nintendo's gonna get any kind of major hardware revision out any time soon.

Even if they do, I personally believe it ain't gonna be anything more than what the New 3DS was: A miniscule bump that barely mattered in the end. :drshrug:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I missed the Capcom Wars discussion. My opinion about it is that, naturally, speculation is constantly affected by new announcements and releases on the Switch. Which makes sense, but it's also true that a third party game on a Nintendo console doesn't mean Smash at all. Not everything revolves around Smash.

In the other hand, it makes sense that discussion about Monster Hunter has started to grow a lot. It also happened with Resident Evil with the ports for RE5 and 6 or with the DMC ports. And if Capcom announces a new Ace Attorney game in the TGS speculation will probably shift towards Phoenix Wright.

As I said a few days ago, Monster Hunter, Wright and Dante have things going for them. Certainly, I'd say Wright is in a more delicate position. His franchise isn't dead by any means. Not being Pokémon or Assassin's Creed, releasing a new game each year, doesn't mean you're dead and buried. But it's true that at this moment, with what we know, Phoenix could look a bit less likely due to the fact that Capcom is pushing more for Monster Hunter and DMC.
The Tokyo Game Show could be a good moment for Capcom to show that they're still committed in maintaining Ace Attorney active and alive as a series.

Though to be honest I think Ace Attorney is just one of those franchises that aren't likely to be in main plans of any company, but at the same time, it's popular enough to keep releasing games from time to time. It's not like Resident Evil, where you know you're getting new games almost constantly.

Ace Attorney is more difficult to predict, maybe you're getting the next entry 2 years after the last one, but maybe you will have to wait like 6 years for the third game. Switch games are also more expensive to make, the good thing of handhelds such as the DS or the PSP is that franchises that aren't big sellers always had more chances to get more games.

Edit: Looking at what Capcom has planned for TGS, I don't know if they're gonna announce something. According to https://www.asia.capcom.com/tgs/en/index.html
The first day will cover Monster Hunter Rise and Stories 2, then news about SFV Season 5. The second day, Resident Evil 8 and DMC5 Special Edition.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So I just wanted to swing by to let you guys know that it’s entirely possible that there won’t be any news, presentations, or shadow drops on Monday or Tuesday. These days are national holidays in Japan (Respect for the Elderly Day and the Autumn Equinox). Traditionally, Nintendo doesn’t release or reveal information on upcoming or current games on holidays. So I wouldn’t expect a of shadowdrop next Monday or upcoming news announcement on Friday for news at the start of the week. With that said, it’s entirely possible they break tradition and do announce some things but I’m highly doubtful of it

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So I just wanted to swing by to let you guys know that it’s entirely possible that there won’t be any news, presentations, or shadow drops on Monday or Tuesday. These days are national holidays in Japan (Respect for the Elderly Day and the Autumn Equinox). Traditionally, Nintendo doesn’t release or reveal information on upcoming or current games on holidays. So I wouldn’t expect a of shadowdrop next Monday or upcoming news announcement on Friday for news at the start of the week. With that said, it’s entirely possible they break tradition and do announce some things but I’m highly doubtful of it
Thanks for the info. Will temper expectations.

Of course, now I expect someone to turn around and use this as proof of something happening on Monday or Tuesday.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
They're providing more information on Zelsou 2 next week anyways so I'm not expecting Smash news on that week. I'm still sticking to the 28th-Oct 2nd week.

KillerCage

Smash Master

For me personally, While Young Wizard from Wizard101 is high up there in terms of my wants list(well really it’s the only reasonable one outta the bunch) I would be estactic if literally anything Bushiroad got in(I imagine a Bushiroad character would be Blaster Blade or Chronojet Dragon)

Like, a card game character has always been pretty high on my wants, but I really feel that a Bushi character would be way more interesting than just simply slapping an MtG planeswalker or Dark Magician into the game and calling it a day. Like... you have your generic sword boys... but with lazer swords(The Blasters) Fiery apoloyptic dragons(Overlord and all his various evolutions and possible future forms) but then you have some out there concepts... like bug mafia(Megacolony) Football but there’s no rules(Spike Brothers) and nom nom canabalistic cyborgs dinos(Tachikaze)
There’s a lot of content you could add with just a single Bushiroad character, although reality slaps me in the face and says it’s not happening because no anime.

Already got Ridley so that leaves me with one character...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

brian4.png

All hail Brian! Sticks rise again!

Quest 64, baby. One of my favorite (small) franchises. With a plethora of spells, items, and unique ideas of how to make him work and be interesting, I've grown to love the idea of him in Smash. My latest moveset idea is focusing on commanding different elements in a rotation akin to Pokemon Trainer(where only the animations slightly change, but Brian himself does the same motions), but also leveling up with a bit of RNG to accompany the leveling up options.

Really, the hardest part I've come to is a good stage(I only made one, a fusion of the Water dungeons/areas, minus the City itself). There's a ton of game areas. Second hardest is a good Assist Trophy. Spirits are easy, though actually knowing the details on power ratings/etc. is the issue I've had with them. I really don't know how to make a proper spirit details. The name, what it can evolve into, and the effect is easy. Well, the level(Legend, etc.) isn't as hard, but actual proper stats, etc. is still something I haven't figured out. Beyond that, well, any items he could bring is a good question. At least ones that stick out as not being super redundant with others. Music is also easy. And that's just a small snippet of the information I've worked on.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I guess that Cat leaker guy Papagenos talked to was sort of correct about Ori news on Switch. I think because he leaked Smash news before that it meant Ori in Smash, but I guess it was just port

Calane

Smash Ace
I feel like we've fallen back into the "Must promote something" mindset. Not everything boils down to promotions; Joker's was retroactive, Banjo and Terry just got passing mentions to ports and re-releases in the Sakurai Presents, and Min Min only got a free trial and a tournament with no ARMS 2 in sight. The only ones who were pushing a new release were Hero and Byleth, and even then the latter only did a promotion after the release, meaning the only game that was heavily pushed during the leadup was Dragon Quest XIS: Tales of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition for the Nintendo Switch™.
Except now, it's the opposite; "Monster Hunter is too big to get a promotion," which just seems to go against our pre-established logic. Isn't Nintendo supposed to go for the big games on their system? Monster Hunter is so huge that they could get passes flying off the shelves without being an explicit promotion. Even if they do, they can still pull off a promotion with equal positions; Monster Hunter fans get drawn to the pass because they like Monster Hunter, and Smash fans get into Monster Hunter from the pass. Everyone's happy, and Nintendo and Capcom get the money.
Ahem... It's "Echoes of an Elusive Age", not Tales.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Two words:
Deserves to be in Sm5sh.jpg

Bandana. Dee. Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom