• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay. The fact that there is no Monster Hunter amiibo is making me think the hunter is guaranteed.
You know a character can get more than one amiibo, yes?

Especially the Monster Hunter Hunter, who takes many different appearances.

I dunno about guaranteed per say but that's honestly a decent point. Why make an amiibo specifically for their game when you'll be making one for Smash anyway? It's just less coding and work overall.
More sales though.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Have there ever been Amiibos for fully customizable avatar characters? Not counting the ones from Smash off course. I think they just decided to use the monsters because they're much more recognizable tbh. Still an interesting theory for sure.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
honestly, as far as capcom goes, Dante, Monster Hunter, Amateratsu, and morrigan all have pretty decent shots, which phoenix wright as a close fifth. I have to adit that i would be surprised if we don't have a single capcom rep.

Clasic Darkstalker problem, surely have to be a pretty uninterestimg series with forgoteabble characters if no one cant agree on their favourite character from teh roster, even if there have been decades since we got something t all...

I really want a darkstalkers 4 :(
I'd love Amaterasu but I don't see her being above Wright himself. Morrigan as well.

IMO from likely to least likely.

1. Dante/Monster Hunter
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Amaterasu
4. Morrigan Aensland

Would love to be wrong though despite wanting both him and Amaterasu equally.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know a character can get more than one amiibo, yes?

Especially the Monster Hunter Hunter, who takes many different appearances.

More sales though.
Fair. Making more amiibo(especially ones in the vein of the numerous Mario ones that do different things for different games) does increase sales. I was mostly commenting on the whole "not having an amiibo made for a game means he's guaranteed!" bit.

D

Deleted member

3: That Reddit leaker seriously needs to be kept an eye on. They dumped pretty much ALL of Rise, and apparently this wasn't their first rodeo.
Already pushed that Follow button fast as sonic lol

Bookmarked his profile too :secretkpop: that part might be a bit overkill though

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I genuinely don't think Nintendo cares about making duplicate amiibo figures. The regular Super Mario series amiibo of Mario has had three variants, two of which are literally just coated with silver and gold-colored paint and function exactly the same in most games. They celebrated Zelda's 30th anniversary by making seven different versions of Link, then they released two more amiibo of BotW Link the following year.

If there isn't a hunter amiibo, then it's probably because there were never any plans for one. Nintendo knows by now what collectors are willing to buy.

SKX31

Smash Master
Chrom was because he was hunting for clones. Wouldn't have gotten in otherwise. And even then it seems like he was a late-stage addition. If FE was really that flexible, you'd think they'd go back to add an original character the most people want to see: Lyn.

And K. Rool was never visited in the first place. He was made a costume to appease the demand in the short-term, but they were never intending to use the ballot for 4's DLC - it was always a bait and switch for Ultimate.

Were that the case, it would probably already have a character.
And now I'm imagining Lyn as a Marth clone.

Images flash of an alternate timeline, where Smashboards is in flames over the images of Lyn using Shield Breaker, Dancing Blade, Dolphin Slash and Counter.

So what'd we learn?

1: Shinobi win

2: Zhunge tease

3: That Reddit leaker seriously needs to be kept an eye on. They dumped pretty much ALL of Rise, and apparently this wasn't their first rodeo.
As a disciple of the totally-not-1839-years-old ZhugeEx, I can fully confirm that he and his firm Niko Partners tease with total accuracy. :4pacman:

(He turned 26 yesterday, but his teases are still at least generally correct since he's not a leaker as such. He, like Imran and Serkan Toto, are insiders.)

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
I still stand by that we should've gotten monster hunter instead of byleth. Giving us monster hunter now would be kind of redundant because they both have very similar functionality in terms of multi weapon fighting when dlc is more focused on having a unique playstyle (yeah yeah functions > characters, but dlc is a different story for the most part)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So what'd we learn?

1: Shinobi win

2: Zhunge tease

I learned that people will ignore the fact that a series is already massive, frequently released and gets successful games on other platforms in favour of thinking the Smash chances are mostly contingent on spin-offs headed to Switch, refusing to abandon the recent Switch game = good chances mentality.

Though tbh I think I already knew that.

BrockWrecker

Smash Rookie
Okay. The fact that there is no Monster Hunter amiibo is making me think the hunter is guaranteed.
All things considered I would really just see no point in making an Amiibo of a character that is really fully customizable. Nobody would really feel the character in Amiibo form if it looked nothing like their PC character. If there is a MH rep in the works, I'd find it more believable to expect a monster.
Too bad the palico Amiibo already got announced, otherwise I'd be all in for Palico in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I still stand by that we should've gotten monster hunter instead of byleth. Giving us monster hunter now would be kind of redundant because they both have very similar functionality in terms of multi weapon fighting when dlc is more focused on having a unique playstyle (yeah yeah functions > characters, but dlc is a different story for the most part)
Again, implying that Monster Hunter and Byleth would serve the same function is objectively false. That's like saying Link and Byleth are the same character because multiple weapons.

D

Deleted member

Giving us monster hunter now would be kind of redundant because they both have very similar functionality in terms of multi weapon fighting when dlc is more focused on having a unique playstyle (yeah yeah functions > characters, but dlc is a different story for the most part)
I dunno, while i haven't played too many Hunter games, I feel the different weapon types between the two games is distinct enough that this would be a non issue, especially when you have the really unique ones like the Hunting Horn and Gunlance. the weapons Byleth wields are almost all simply customized bases of already pretty standard weapons, but then you have Monster Hunter over here lugging a giant horn as his weapon like he's heading to a concert.

I mean, Monster Hunter still has some generic stuff(like a generic sword and shield kit) but overall the differences, both gameplay and aesthetically speaking, are different enough I feel it's not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Again, implying that Monster Hunter and Byleth would serve the same function is objectively false. That's like saying Link and Byleth are the same character because multiple weapons.
Agree, but it still bothers me that we have byleth because now if we got monster hunter they'd have a similar archetype. However, there's plenty of room for varying moveset there too. It just gives me the idea that nintendo wouldn't go for monster hunter in an effort to get a more unique character type.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
but I’m not sure if it’ll make the jump to Smash with Phoenix as a playable character.
How many times does this have to be put through.

If Sakurai can make :ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ultisabelle::ultgnw::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:and even:ultpiranha:of all character work, he can make Anyone work at this point. Plus his moveset could be modeled off from the Marvel vs. Capcom games.

Shroob

Sup?
I gotta say, I remember searching for his stuff when he leaked BK. I don't think the guy has gotten anything wrong in years, if memory serves.

That's really impressive.
To be fair, unlike a lot of people, he only really shows up once in a blue moon, which to me at least means he only alludes to something when he's 100% confident.

D

Deleted member

Agree, but it still bothers me that we have byleth because now if we got monster hunter they'd have a similar archetype. However, there's plenty of room for varying moveset there too. It just gives me the idea that nintendo wouldn't go for monster hunter in an effort to get a more unique character type.
I mean, that didn't stop all the swordie characters from FE(and Link) from being in the game no? Most of them do something unique on top of that(Corrin with his dragon stuff, Robin with his book of magic, and Ike with him using a greatsword instead of the standard broadsword) but at their core they all fit into the same general gameplay archetype of "swinging a sword around +(insert gimmick here)"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be honest, I don't think they care. lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they just pick who they want and let Sakurai handle the rest in all seriousness.

If Sakurai can make :ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ultisabelle::ultgnw::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:and even:ultpiranha:of all character work, he can make Anyone work at this point. Plus his moveset could be modeled off from the Marvel vs. Capcom games.
I don't think he was arguing that Phoenix Wright doesn't have moveset potential.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why do people keep on comparing Byleth to Monster Hunter???

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice

I remember a point the Jwittz made about a potential pheonix character saying how it'd be hard to top how good his MVC3 moveset was in representing him. He can definitely work, and I'd love to see the character. I wonder whether they'd go for a similar gimmick or a new one all together and how they can make him both work, and be exciting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I remember a point the Jwittz made about a potential pheonix character saying how it'd be hard to top how good his MVC3 moveset was in representing him. He can definitely work, and I'd love to see the character. I wonder whether they'd go for a similar gimmick or a new one all together and how they can make him both work, and be exciting.
There would definitely be parallels, but they couldn't just copy and paste. My biggest reason for this though process is that Super Smash Bros. is all about properly showcasing what a character is all about, while Marvel Vs. Capcom is all about taking characters and turning them up to 11, so what works in one game wouldn't necessarily work in the other.

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Why do people keep on comparing Byleth to Monster Hunter???
Largely because a lot of Byleth's weapons could be translated to monster hunter in a way. If monster hunter would introduced, they'd have to differentiate the gameplay to make them unique as Byleth uses arrows, light weapons, heavy weapons, etc. That monster hunter would likely utilize as well. Monster Hunter likely has other options that could be used, but I feel like you could almost give byleth's moveset to monster hunter and it wouldn't be too weird, which I can't really say about other speculated characters.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I don't think they care. lol

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if they just pick who they want and let Sakurai handle the rest in all seriousness.
Honestly I feel like most of the characters thus far have been picked because of the potential for marketing while Sakurai and Co gets to have a couple oddball/personal picks, like :ultpiranha: and :ult_terry:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Largely because a lot of Byleth's weapons could be translated to monster hunter in a way. If monster hunter would introduced, they'd have to differentiate the gameplay to make them unique as Byleth uses arrows, light weapons, heavy weapons, etc. That monster hunter would likely utilize as well. Monster Hunter likely has other options that could be used, but I feel like you could almost give byleth's moveset to monster hunter and it wouldn't be too weird, which I can't really say about other speculated characters.
I'm no MH expert but has a whipsword been ever a prominent weapon in the games?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Largely because a lot of Byleth's weapons could be translated to the Terrarian in a way. If the Terrarian would introduced, they'd have to differentiate the gameplay to make them unique as Byleth uses arrows, light weapons, heavy weapons, etc. That the Terrarian would likely utilize as well. The Terrarian likely has other options that could be used, but I feel like you could almost give The Terrarian's moveset to monster hunter and it wouldn't be too weird, which I can't really say about other speculated characters.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...I feel like you could almost give byleth's moveset to monster hunter and it wouldn't be too weird...
I don't agree with this on the premise that Byleth's moveset is very closely bound to Fire Emblem's mechanics. It's all about knowing which weapon to use at the correct time. Since Monster Hunter is more about preparation and knowing when to strike at all, I'm not sure Byleth's design would be all that fitting.

I fully expect the Monster Hunter to be a heavy character with an emphasis on setup, kind of similar to Snake, but with less Grenade spam and Nikita and more unga bunga greatsword swings.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Just woke up and Disgaea 6 is huge. Crazy that it's exclusive too.

Ready to not beat Baal again.

D

Deleted member

I am getting really exhausted of the whole "Byleth = Monster Hunter" opinion. It is so untrue.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So, everyone's on the same page that we're not getting Smash news this week, right?

.....who am I kidding, this community's thirsty as ****.
I need smash bros content. Gib Smash bros content
F7DD5DAC-403D-47A1-BFFB-27C53480CB45.jpeg

But seriously though? I’m curious as to when Nintendo is finally gonna drop CP7 on us. Like, is there something specific holding them back, or are they just waiting for the right moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom