• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like we've fallen back into the "Must promote something" mindset. Not everything boils down to promotions; Joker's was retroactive, Banjo and Terry just got passing mentions to ports and re-releases in the Sakurai Presents, and Min Min only got a free trial and a tournament with no ARMS 2 in sight. The only ones who were pushing a new release were Hero and Byleth, and even then the latter only did a promotion after the release, meaning the only game that was heavily pushed during the leadup was Dragon Quest XIS: Tales of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition for the Nintendo Switch™.
Except now, it's the opposite; "Monster Hunter is too big to get a promotion," which just seems to go against our pre-established logic. Isn't Nintendo supposed to go for the big games on their system? Monster Hunter is so huge that they could get passes flying off the shelves without being an explicit promotion. Even if they do, they can still pull off a promotion with equal positions; Monster Hunter fans get drawn to the pass because they like Monster Hunter, and Smash fans get into Monster Hunter from the pass. Everyone's happy, and Nintendo and Capcom get the money.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I decided to check out the Japanese Direct and it had most of the games seen in the western version.

The Japanese Direct ended with Rune Factory 5 while US Direct concluded with Ori 2. I think there were games shown off in the US version than the Japan version.

D

Deleted member

So... haven’t been keeping up with speculation, anything interesting happen?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In my opinion today barely changed anything about the Hunter's chances. Capcom has not been subtle about the existence of a new MH for Switch at all, only difference is that we now have the confirmation.
Well in truth, nobody's chances actually raise or lower given that the choices are already locked in, but since we don't know who was picked, the chances of any given character having been picked does actually raise and lower given new information if that makes any sense.

No, but I think it counts as polyarmory. :roll:

I regret everything.
I'm dead.

D

Deleted member

I feel like we've fallen back into the "Must promote something" mindset. Not everything boils down to promotions; Joker's was retroactive, Banjo and Terry just got passing mentions to ports and re-releases in the Sakurai Presents, and Min Min only got a free trial and a tournament with no ARMS 2 in sight. The only ones who were pushing a new release were Hero and Byleth, and even then the latter only did a promotion after the release, meaning the only game that was heavily pushed during the leadup was Dragon Quest XIS: Tales of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition for the Nintendo Switch™.
Except now, it's the opposite; "Monster Hunter is too big to get a promotion," which just seems to go against our pre-established logic. Isn't Nintendo supposed to go for the big games on their system? Monster Hunter is so huge that they could get passes flying off the shelves without being an explicit promotion. Even if they do, they can still pull off a promotion with equal positions; Monster Hunter fans get drawn to the pass because they like Monster Hunter, and Smash fans get into Monster Hunter from the pass. Everyone's happy, and Nintendo and Capcom get the money.
Honestly at this point I’m just hoping we get CP7 soon. I don’t even care who it is anymore, I just want this cycle of waiting to end. Has it been longer than the Joker-> Hero wait? Or it is just me?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So... haven’t been keeping up with speculation, anything interesting happen?
The Partner Showcase happened, and it confirmed the rumored Monster Hunter game that sparked up recently. As a result, we have finally gotten a new major candidate after who-knows-how-long in Monster Hunter.

Actually, when was the last time a new widely-speculated character cropped up? Ever since Byleth and Dante completing his breakthrough into the big leagues of speculation, it feels like the scene has stagnated beyond putting guys like Rex and Geno back on the table. It feels like a fresh breath of air to be talking about Monster Hunter now.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Now hear me out because I'm about to reach like Mr. Fantastic. Like Elastigirl....like the cast of Arms....like another fictional character with stretchy limbs.....

Clearly this means Okami is getting a new game announce for Switch tomorrow and Ammy is getting announced for Smash. Clearly.

Why? Cause they're all doggos you see?

Clearly.
Amazing logic! I see no cracks in your reasoning. I approve.
honestly, as far as capcom goes, Dante, Monster Hunter, Amateratsu, and morrigan all have pretty decent shots, which phoenix wright as a close fifth. I have to adit that i would be surprised if we don't have a single capcom rep.
Amaterasu? Decent shot? Please don't give me more than I have.(Actually please do) But on the matter of Capcom, aren't they supposed to have a showcase on the 26?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The virgin Twitter “leaker” vs the Chad Reddit Actual Insider
Some user on Reddit leaked MHR in advance, also SwSh DLC and Byleth as FP5. Worth keeping an eye on.

Also statement from Zippo on the Era Direct thread:
Correction they leaked MHR 10 hours prior. The reddit person I mean. They also leaked P5S’s full details last year, and the Cuphead costume in Byleth’s presentation

So yeah, **** HotGirlVideos69 on Twitter dot com, me and my homies stan u/practicalbrush12

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
The Partner Showcase happened, and it confirmed the rumored Monster Hunter game that sparked up recently. As a result, we have finally gotten a new major candidate after who-knows-how-long in Monster Hunter.

Actually, when was the last time a new widely-speculated character cropped up? Ever since Byleth and Dante completing his breakthrough into the big leagues of speculation, it feels like the scene has stagnated beyond putting guys like Rex and Geno back on the table. It feels like a fresh breath of air to be talking about Monster Hunter now.
So, Palico, the Hunters or one of the bigger monsters? Who has the bigger shot

D

Deleted member

honestly, as far as capcom goes, Dante, Monster Hunter, Amateratsu, and morrigan all have pretty decent shots, which phoenix wright as a close fifth. I have to adit that i would be surprised if we don't have a single capcom rep.
I think Phoenix Wright should be third on that list, but to be fair, I don't understand Nintendo and Capcom.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly at this point I’m just hoping we get CP7 soon. I don’t even care who it is anymore, I just want this cycle of waiting to end. Has it been longer than the Joker-> Hero wait? Or it is just me?
Relative to their respective announcements:

Fighter Pass 1:
-First character revealed a month after the pass is announced (December 2018)
-First character released five months after pass announcement (April 2019)
-Second and third characters revealed 7 months after pass announcement (June 2019)
-Second character released 8 months after fighter announcement (July 2019)

Fighter Pass 2:
-First character is officially (not just the franchise) revealed and released 5 months after pass announcement (June 2020)
-Second and third characters have yet to be revealed 8 months after pass announcement (September 2020)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Phoenix Wright should be third on that list, but to be fair, I don't understand Nintendo and Capcom.
I agree with you. I may be a bit too pessimistic on my most wanted due to the perception of her being a pipe dream, but I'd say that while Morrigan would be in the running later on, I don't think she has a better shot that Phoenix Wright.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's been about the same so far, actually. It just feels longer because we haven't had many major releases this year, so the wait feels like it's been multiplied tenfold.

D

Deleted member

If the Terrarian gets in Smash, I can say that anything is possible in life.

D

Deleted member

Correction they leaked MHR 10 hours prior. The reddit person I mean. They also leaked P5S’s full details last year, and the Cuphead costume in Byleth’s presentation

So yeah, **** HotGirlVideos69 on Twitter dot com, me and my homies stan u/practicalbrush12
Just checked him out and man he’s def a leaker. He got Byleth correct, predicted the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game that cane out this year, and a bunch of other misc stuff. Def gonna keep an eye on him for sure.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Since everything got delayed this year Im gonna assume March means it may have been planned as a big December title to close the year

D

Deleted member

So, hypothetically, if Nintendo were to do a double reveal like they did with Isabelle (character + game) next year, which character and game would you want this to be for, and which character and game do you think would happen?
Young Wizard with 4th arc reveal

I think the most likely candidate honestly is Pokemon. Announcing the traditional 3rd version games with a smash character sounds like a neat idea to me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So, hypothetically, if Nintendo were to do a double reveal like they did with Isabelle (character + game) next year, which character and game would you want this to be for, and which character and game do you think would happen?
Want: Donkey Kong Country Sequel with Dixie Kong Reveal
Expect: Crash Bandicoot 4 with.. well Crash Bandicoot.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
That Reddit leaker is definitely someone we should keep an eye on they manage to call a ton of stuff such as

Gameplay details on Diablo 4

The existence of Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Byleth in Smash

Pokemon Sword and Shield + its DLC

Monster Hunter Rise

Its pretty clear they got reliable sources and contacts at multiple companies across the world.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It's interesting to note that this showcase focus a lot on Capcom games, with some appearance of Marvelous and Microsoft. Remember my theory is that the partner showcase imply that the game announced there is from developper that Nintendo think are important to them. And a good way to strengthen those relationship is with a Smash characters. It doesn't really help us because Capcom characters, Marvelous (Travis touchdown) and Microsoft (Steve, Master chief) where already discussed a lot, but it's still interesting to note.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My guesses and wishes are thus:
Wish: Waluigi, and Mario Kart 9.
Guess: Either Bandana Waddle Dee, and a new mainline Kirby, or someone related to a Splatoon spinoff.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyway, I totally figured out why Nintendo haven't revealed FP7 yet! They're clearly waiting until noted (mostly) Nintendo Let's Player chuggaaconroy has announced his next Let's Play, so that the fighter can coincide with whatever that game is. :4pacman:

. . .Joking aside, it is pretty amusing how frequently announcements related to the games he plays coincide.

D

Deleted member

Did they mention Smash is arriving this September?

They said we are not done with September yet, which is promising.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway, I totally figured out why Nintendo haven't revealed FP7 yet! They're clearly waiting until noted (mostly) Nintendo Let's Player chuggaaconroy has announced his next Let's Play, so that the fighter can coincide with whatever that game is. :4pacman:

. . .Joking aside, it is pretty amusing how frequently announcements related to the games he plays coincide.
does FP7's name begin with an E and end with an A?

that was Zippo that said "we're not done yet" and he didn't mention Smash no but it could be Smash

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From what little digging of my profile I’ve done he hasn’t said much regarding Smash since Byleth. So... idk.

SKX31

Smash Master
Aaand now I'm certain that the Reboot will never leave the Internet Hall of Shame.

Want (the most): Either Dota 2, Master Chief + Halo or KOS-MOS + Xenosaga game (now two of those three are unlikely)

Expect (and it's pretty high on the want list too): LoL character + LoL game for the Switch. If there's any IP other than Monster Hunter / Pokemon that leans towards that formula of heavy cross-promotion, it's LoL. Halo coming to the Switch is pretty high up there too.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Want: Mario Strikers or Mario Golf, with a Waluigi reveal. OR, DKC sequel with a Funky reveal.

More likely: I honestly don’t know, the possibilities are endless and I think getting into the likelihood of various characters is a crapshoot at this point

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The World Ends With Two + Neku Sakuraba, and Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition + Elma

D

Deleted member

Terrarian + Terraria 1.4.1 Release Date for the P.C..

Does that count?

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I know that almost everyone will disagree with me here. But I don't see the potential with Minecraft Steve, I recently started playing MC in the past 2 years. And... well, he just seems so ridiculously stiff and devoid of life. I mean the animations for the avatar of minecraft are very rigid. He/she doesn't even move his legs when he jumps.

EDIT: At least villager is full of emotions and just oozes personality.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wants:
-Bandana Waddle Dee + New Kirby Game w/ him playing a major role
-Waluigi + New Mario Tennis/Kart/Party game ( or he finally gets a role in a mainline game )
-Any Kid Icarus character + New Kid Icarus game

Expect:
-big unrepresented third party character + new game in said big unrepresented third party character’s series......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom