• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Jesus now I'm just imagining the scenario.

The black screen with the Smash cut in happens.

All of a sudden, the 64 commercial plays, complete with ****ing Happy Together.

The damn thing's shot for shot

And then before the chaos happens, Crash runs in and tackles Mario

How hard would us people who saw it back on TV age in that one moment?

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Having Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Crash all in the same game would likely make my head explode, that would be so hype. I'm usually on the fence about the chances for most characters, but Crash, now going through quite the resurgence, seems to have a pretty remarkable chance to make it in. He'd just fit Smash perfectly. Like the circumstances around Banjo's inclusion, everything seems to be lining up for Crash to me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Inb4 it turns out the ND game is a brand-new Mario game that they’ve been keeping under wraps, and they kept it out of the Mario Direct because it wasn’t ready show at the time. Surely the 3D All-Stars game was just to tide us over, right? Surely the richest company in Japan would let their mascot’s 35th anniversary end with a bang, right? …R-Right?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
let’s maybe give him a break. It DOES kinda feel like ganging up. There’s disagreeing in a civil manner, and this... doesn’t really feel civil anymore
Did anyone hear the signal?

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Inb4 it turns out the ND game is a brand-new Mario game that they’ve been keeping under wraps, and they kept it out of the Mario Direct because it wasn’t ready show at the time. Surely the 3D All-Stars game was just to tide us over, right? Surely the richest company in Japan would let their mascot’s 35th anniversary end with a bang, right? …R-Right?
Nintendo Dream announces..... another N64, GCN, and Wii Mario trilogy collection, Paper Mario All Stars!

Oh, it's so beautiful.

Shroob

Sup?
If Bowser Jr. and Olimar aren't given the debut date of their alts, neither should Hero.

If Luminary is the base character, then they should go by the date he debuted, not the other three.
They should, but they specifically changed it so he appears when Erdrick should so like...???

7NATOR

Smash Master
The New Crash Japanesse Ad is interesting, But doesn't change his chances in my eyes

Even if he was still niche in japan today (and still kinda is), He was so massive in japan back in the day, and he has alot of other merits.

My main problem with Crash being in FP2 is he could be more expensive than Nintendo are willing to pay

M@R!3

Smash Ace
The New Crash Japanesse Ad is interesting, But doesn't change his chances in my eyes

Even if he was still niche in japan today (and still kinda is), He was so massive in japan back in the day, and he has alot of other merits.

My main problem with Crash being in FP2 is he could be more expensive than Nintendo are willing to pay
I don't see why Activision would be overly demanding considering the circumstances. Until the N. Sane Trilogy Crash hadn't had a well received game in years, and the N. Sane Trilogy is a remake. Crash still has yet to prove his staying power with a well received new release, as great as Crash 4 looks.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.

Anyone think we'll get anything this week?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Two POTDs for the price of one tonight!
My man Sakurai does it again, all 5 For the Frog the Bell Tolls fans cheering rn
No freaking way they announce a new Mario game on a magazine.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't see why Activision would be overly demanding considering the circumstances. Until the N. Sane Trilogy Crash hadn't had a well received game in years, and the N. Sane Trilogy is a remake. Crash still has yet to prove his staying power with a well received new release, as great as Crash 4 looks.
That mindset exists because Activision was asking for more money than the PSABR devs could afford, never mind the fact that PSABR had a smaller budget and has Sony screw them over quite a bit, so people believe that Richest Company In Japan may not be able to afford a licensing deal despite having done so for significanty trickier rightholders

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well, I think even when Crash was more "dead", he still was considered hard to license, if the Situation with PSASBR is any indication. Of course that game didn't really have a budget, though I can't imagine the FP2 Budget is that big, considering this pass is just extra and Nintendo is not known for Doing Extra DLC like this

I think even naughty Dog had trouble getting Crash 1 demo in Unharted, and they made the games (though I think that might have been when Crash was still alive)

But Crash is more alive. yeah the games are just Remakes, but they are very successful Remakes that put Crash back on the map. I imagine he would cost more money now than back then

And even then, It's also a question of whether Nintendo would want to take the risk. Given the nature of FP1, it's likely Nintendo would want to take a more low-key approach to FP2 than even FP1. FP2 Won't sell as much as less people than back then are invested into the game, Plus just the extra $30 Barrier as well. Going for really big characters (as playable characters) will cost alot of money i Imagine, as not only do you have to pay for the Character in a Playable role itself, but also the stages, Spirits, music, etc.

and there are still popular characters that would probably be much easier to license. I'm talking not just Nintendo characters, but even 3rd party characters that are already in the game. Nintendo doesn't necessarily have to put in The Huge characters in FP2, as once again it is just extra. I think for Smash 6, going for characters like Crash and Chief and Sora and Steve? makes much more sense as those are new additions that could sell a game, especially if good amount of popular characters are getting cut next game.

Right now though, it's not necessary.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I try to say I’m sorry but instead you still criticize me
So you know what I’ll say you’re right I was wrong to say that & I am a fool

no, I’m more than that

I’m an big fool

one who dosent think before doing things shills an overated xb2 character & just disagrees with everything so yeah I am a big fool

good day to you all
I apologise for making a late reply but hear me out. It sucks that you were ganged up on for your opinion and yeah you could have worded it better but just know that you're not the only one. People on this thread say stupid things all the time and they get ganged up on too, including me. People make mistakes, it's a human thing to do so don't let it get you down because people move on from it. I'm not justifying mob mentality (That's up to the individual) but there are going to be times where you may slip up and it happens to the best of us.

I don't know if I'm saying this right but hopefully this helps make you feel better.

So.

Anyone think we'll get anything this week?
(Head lying on desk, depressed)

We're not getting anything... ever...

Shroob

Sup?
I think the one thing people need to get through their heads when it comes to speculation is one thing for now:

There isn't going to be a General Direct OR Mini Direct for the rest of the year. There can still be Game-Specific ones, or probably Pokemon ones, because Pokemon's Pokemon, but Generals and Minis are dead in the water for 2020.

Nintendo's shown their holiday lineup, and insiders have flat out said that "This is it" in regards to 1st party offerings. There's just nothing left for a General/Mini to cover, especially since now Partner Showcases cover all the 3rd party stuff, meaning that a General/Mini would primarily need to focus on Nintendo IPs....which there aren't any right now if credible insiders are to be believed. Monster Hunter's drop, whenever it is, is either going to be in a Partner showcase, or its own Game-specific Direct, and once that's done... well, what the ****'s even left aside from Crown Tundra and Smash? We already know the date that we're getting a Hyrule Warriors BotW info dump, so that's another notch in the General/Mini's casket.

Coupled with Bayo3 still in development hell, BotW2 obviously being a 2021 release(At the earliest), NMH3 being delayed, and Metroid Prime 4 in god knows what state, the earliest we're going to see a General/Mini is sometime in 2021, period.

If we're getting Smash.....eventually, there'll be a "Tune in on X date for a Mr.Sakurai Presents!" announcement, don't bank on waiting for a General/Mini that's not coming.

tl;dr:

Partner showcases have made it so that a Mini/General, if it were to exist, would need to primarily focus on 1st party titles... and if credible insiders are to be believed, we've seen our 1st party holiday lineup, meaning... there aren't anymore, and we probably won't see anymore until sometime in 2021. While Crown Tundra may be able to carry a Pokemon-Direct, because Pokemon's the special child that gets their own Directs, a single Smash DLC drop isn't enough to have a Direct for, if anything, it'd just be dropped ala Byleth, and no, their level of arbitrary stardom you apply to them doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the character's as iconic as Master Chief or as unknown as Sukapon, the character will be revealed regardless this way.

Last edited:

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Looks like Crash might got his one way ticket to Smash

Still feel Crash is pretty likely for this pass. Never played his games (played a ton of Spyro tho), but a friend of mine would be over the moon and I respect his legacy so it would be cool to get him. From what gameplay I've seen, he has the making of a cool move set as well (hope his shoes pop up if he dies in the bottom blastzone and they can deal damage)!

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
I think the one thing people need to get through their heads when it comes to speculation is one thing for now:

There isn't going to be a General Direct OR Mini Direct for the rest of the year. There can still be Game-Specific ones, or probably Pokemon ones, because Pokemon's Pokemon, but Generals and Minis are dead in the water for 2020.

Nintendo's shown their holiday lineup, and insiders have flat out said that "This is it" in regards to 1st party offerings. There's just nothing left for a General/Mini to cover, especially since now Partner Showcases cover all the 3rd party stuff, meaning that a General/Mini would primarily need to focus on Nintendo IPs....which there aren't any right now if credible insiders are to be believed. Monster Hunter's drop, whenever it is, is either going to be in a Partner showcase, or its own Game-specific Direct, and once that's done... well, what the ****'s even left aside from Crown Tundra and Smash? We already know the date that we're getting a Hyrule Warriors BotW info dump, so that's another notch in the General/Mini's casket.

Coupled with Bayo3 still in development hell, BotW2 obviously being a 2021 release(At the earliest), NMH3 being delayed, and Metroid Prime 4 in god knows what state, the earliest we're going to see a General/Mini is sometime in 2021, period.

If we're getting Smash.....eventually, there'll be a "Tune in on X date for a Mr.Sakurai Presents!" announcement, don't bank on waiting for a General/Mini that's not coming.

tl;dr:

Partner showcases have made it so that a Mini/General, if it were to exist, would need to primarily focus on 1st party titles... and if credible insiders are to be believed, we've seen our 1st party holiday lineup, meaning... there aren't anymore, and we probably won't see anymore until sometime in 2021. While Crown Tundra may be able to carry a Pokemon-Direct, because Pokemon's the special child that gets their own Directs, a single Smash DLC drop isn't enough to have a Direct for, if anything, it'd just be dropped ala Byleth.
Agreed about no general Direct for the rest of this year. We got a pretty decent lineup of first parties for the rest of this year, with only December missing stuff. Very likely Animal Crossing will have some pretty chunky winter updates by then. We actually didn't get a noteworthy first party title in December 2019, so not like there's a rule that there needs to be a December game. If anything we could still get an announcement for a January game later to kick off 2021. As it stands, Super Mario 3D World is the only 2021 game we're certain of, and that's not til Feburary 2021.

Plus, we still got TGS that'll cover hopefully a good chunk of third party Switch games, and that supposed new Monster Hunter.

Also, here's a list of stuff to look forward to on the Switch in 2020, if you're not focused entirely on first parties:

September 18th, 2020: Super Mario 3D Collection
October 16th, 2020: Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
October 23rd, 2020: Cadence of Hyrule physical edition with DLC included.
October 30th, 2020: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
November 17th, 2020: Cris Tales (multiplatform)
November 20th, 2020: Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity
Fall 2020: Pokemon Sword/Shield Crown Tundra DLC
Fall 2020: Animal Crossing Fall Updates?
December 2020: Atelier Ryza 2 (multiplatform)
Winter 2020: Animal Crossing Winter/Holiday Updates
??? 2020: Bravely Default II
??? 2020: Smash DLC news
??? 2020: Eastward (also on PC/Mac but will be on Switch only console wise)
??? 2020: Sports Story

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
So that Monday "leak" was nothing, with how late it is now in Japan... I guess they could publish something in their last few hours, as they did with Byleth, but otherwise it's looking grim. Another one off the list of trustworthy leakers, it's quite the empty list now.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Dante can't even say he's the definitive option for his company, because he has to compete with Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and Amaterasu.
You forgot Chun Li as a viable candidate.

There’s also the fact that Mega Man got in before Ryu or any other Capcom series. Mega Man is iconic but his games have never sold really well. I think Mega Man 2, Mega Man 11 & Mega Man X are the only games in the series to sell over a million copies.
Mega Man also was the highest requested newcomer character before being playable, which is the reason why he made it in. Dante was never on the same level of fan-request as Mega Man.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would also expect the Sakurai Presents to be randomly dropped on Twitter like all the other announcements so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom