• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Are we sure the inevitable MonHun game is even a full on Monster Hunter game and not like a racing game or another spinoff like Monster Hunter Stories?
I think the general assumption is that its a mainline game because Capcom knows there's a lot of money to be made via a return to portable MH, especially given the Switch install base in the West and Japan. The big opportunity is to strike while the iron is hot with a fairly big game, get the money from the fanbase now, and maybe trying a spin-off after.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
https://imgur.com/cJyt11H

Boom. Added Issac and 3 others.

View attachment 285516
And here is a series icon for Sakura wars based on what I could make out from her kimono.
Yay! Thanks for adding not one but two GS characters.

But oh no, the demon eyes pre-replacement Smashified Isaac is hard to look at. Might I suggest swapping it out for this infinitely better one?

Update from zippo:

“It’s not” meaning it’s not the ND title
Zippo's not credible. Big grain of salt with anything he says.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Screw a Monster Hunter racing game, I want Monster Hunter fighting game!

While we're on that topic, who would be good for the inevitable godmodded boss fight at the end?
I mean it would probably just be Shara Ishvalda

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Monster Hunter would be kind of neat. I don't know much about the series but I don't see how such an inclusion could hurt. That said, I've been kind of behind on the spicy leaks and thread feuding. Could a hardened soul give me the scoop on the characters being floated around in this thread? I don't really take leaks for meaning anything, but I do like talking about them.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Monster Hunter would be kind of neat. I don't know much about the series but I don't see how such an inclusion could hurt. That said, I've been kind of behind on the spicy leaks and thread feuding. Could a hardened soul give me the scoop on the characters being floated around in this thread? I don't really take leaks for meaning anything, but I do like talking about them.
There are absolutely no leaks regarding the next character.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
To be honest Smash characters themselves are largely unknown. All the most significant leaks this year have been related to basically everything but SSBU. Even the MH speculation is related to a game specifically, with no sign whatsoever that's necessarily leading to a character.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Are we sure the inevitable MonHun game is even a full on Monster Hunter game and not like a racing game or another spinoff like Monster Hunter Stories?
MH Stories was developed by Marvelous, and supposedly this one is by Capcom, so its likely that is from mainline series.

But, no insider or journalist has said if this new MH for Switch will include QoL improvements from Monster Hunter World like no loading screen between zones or new tools. I hope that yes, because I think the series improved their sales in the west thank to these changes.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You know, perhaps DLC currently being developed from the homes of developers has done a lot to keep things a bit tighter. Big offices and such, I'd imagine things could leak much more easily, and I'd assume the team is mostly communicating via phone and email, and such.
We'll know who it is a couple days before it comes out, even MinMin was leaked, but everyone was 2stupid to realize it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While there haven't been any major recent leaks, back in April there was a rumor about a League of Legends character, alongside a Hollow Knight PreMiium with a remix of Sealed Vessel and a Trials of Mana Spirit Event (Which actually did happen). Due to Min Min's unexpected delay due to balancing and her unique playstyle, that rumor's been sitting around for a while without much to go either way. There's also the fact that from the way it was worded, it seemed like the guy was getting info from separate sources... Assuming the guy's trustworthy in the first place, which he probably isn't...

Personally, I'll be more confident if we get either during FP7's content, start having doubts if there's nothing at that time, and completely pull the plug if we reach CP8 and there's nothing. Besides, it's not like "LoL rep" narrows things down much anyways, seeing as there's 150 characters and counting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know, perhaps DLC currently being developed from the homes of developers has done a lot to keep things a bit tighter. Big offices and such, I'd imagine things could leak much more easily, and I'd assume the team is mostly communicating via phone and email, and such.
Going off of what Shroob said, keep in mind that none of the previous DLC that did leak (bar Hero) leaked (publicly) until mere days before it arrived.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Of course come the 16th it will turn out that insiders had greatly overestimated the popularity of a Steel Diver sequel for Switch.
I'd actually love to see how they'd change up Steel Diver for consoles. SD's a pretty fun little game and I like submarines, so it would be a good reveal for me.

But yeah, with how much they're hyping that reveal, I'd expect something bigger.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
We'll know who it is a couple days before it comes out, even MinMin was leaked, but everyone was 2stupid to realize it.
I'll admit I don't remember Min Min being leaked, but what I do remember is that I vehemently claimed that the ARMS character would be Min Min before such was revealed. I went all in and treated it as pre-decided fact. Having been right, I will never make a prediction again.

Shroob

Sup?
I'll admit I don't remember Min Min being leaked, but what I do remember is that I vehemently claimed that the ARMS character would be Min Min before such was revealed. I went all in and treated it as pre-decided fact. Having been right, I will never make a prediction again.
A guy who's fairly well respected in the community made a big, 6 paragraph Twitter post about how everyone needed to turn down their expectations for this Fighter's Pass.

While a lot of people took it at face value, eagle eyed people noticed that every Paragraph started with an M, an I, or an N, and since there were 6 paragraphs, putting them in order, you got MinMin.

Considering he pointed it himself, it was 100% intentional.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't really think (from a logical standpoint) it gives him any edge over Hunter, but definitely Phoenix (just due to the fact that PW has always been more of a intermediately sized series, rather than a AAA production, and it has seen no new releases in a decent amount of time).

I mean from a "advantage" standpoint, Hunter has arguably Capcom's most valuable IP currently (and it's not really close), consistent releases, and a much bigger Nintendo history compared to DMC. I mean Capcom is even making a Monster Hunter movie (sure it looks pretty bad, but it's still huge regardless). The Monster Hunter games also started to gain a lot more popularity in the West, when things like 3U, 4U, and Gen came out; and I think Nintendo even helped Capcom localize those games (much like certain DQ games). In fact, I think 3U was one of the best selling 3rd party games on the Wii U.

In comparison, Dante has had a very successful revival, but really that's it; it didn't suddenly become Capcom's most valuable IP. Assuming sales data from wikipedia is correct, DMC 5 has sold around 3.5 million copies which is certainly VERY good, but MH4U itself sold 4 million and unlike DMC 5, MH4U is a console exclusive. And while Dante did have a Switch port with exclusive features in DMC3, MH is supposedly getting a full blown Switch exclusive release revealed as early as next week (according to some very reliable insiders). And Capcom certainly is pushing MH harder than ever, with multiple internal teams working on different products. Meanwhile, there's no real rumors of a Switch exclusive DMC and it's likely that DMC will prioritize other consoles before anything related to Nintendo, on top of having slower releases compared to MH in general.

A lot of people like to say that Byleth already has the gimmick MH would have, but that's wrong. MH has a surprising amount of moveset potential, on top of being able to wield completely different weapons compared to Byleth, they could also give MH a lot of traps/items, and even multiple styles like a potential Dante.

A lot of people also bring up the fact that MH is already represented with a stage/boss/music as a big negative to Hunter's chances. But as we all know by now, I doubt Nintendo really cares if a series already has representation (if they really want a new character). Besides, that content has a decent chance of being agreed upon before MH World even came out (and exploded the series popularity even further).

I think from a "logical" perspective, Monster Hunter has the most advantages going for them for a Capcom rep currently. But that's not to undersell Dante, or even Phoenix Wright, and as we've seen plenty of times sometimes the underdog gets into Smash.

But speaking from my perspective on their chances (if we do end up getting a Capcom rep):
Monster Hunter > Dante >> Phoenix Wright >>>> Other Capcom reps
I pretty much agree with most of your points. You're bringing some really valid points to the table. Each character has different things going for him, and as Scoliosis Jones has said multiple times, each pick doesn't really have to share the same reasons for their inclusions. This is a very basic concept in my opinion but for some reason, people usually skips this notion. Thus, we end getting some people assuming we will only get shill picks because "Byleth happened". Others will affirm that the characters will be fan favorites because "they added Banjo!" or that the remaining fighters will be super unexpected names because "they surprised us with Joker".

Dante, Monster Hunter and Wright all had different strong points going for them.
I'd say that a Devil May Cry exclusive game for the Switch wouldn't make much sense if you ask me, the franchise, if anything, has always been more associated with Playstation, and by that nature, getting an exclusive entry in the future doesn't seem likely at all. I know you weren't suggesting a DMC Switch exclusive as something that could happen, but still, I had to say that, lol

Returning to the characters, we could say that each one has the following:
  • Dante: popular character, relevant right now, has legacy, his franchise has made a strong comeback and Capcom seems to want to still pushing the IP in the near future
  • Monster Hunter: revelant as ****, specially if the MH Switch game is coming, the latest game in the series is the best selling game in Capcom's history, they're clearly pushing it, and the series has a strong connection to Nintendo consoles
  • Phoenix Wright: popular character, historically has been more supported for Smash than the other, for years his series was exclusive of Nintendo consoles until recently, and Nintendo literally published the game in certain countries (if I'm not mistaken, the localization of the original games were made by Nintendo, so the german or the french localization for the HD trilogy had to be made again by Capcom, while the spanish one hasn't returned)

And that doesn't really covers everything because we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Maybe there's a new Ace Attorney game in development for the Switch which will be announced sometime in the future, and Phoenix Wright will be revealed for Smash to boost the sales of his new game, but we couldn't never have reached that point if the series never had strong ties to Nintendo. Saying this because some people quickly labeled Hero as a shill pick because of DQXIS while forgetting the big legacy that Dragon Quest has on Nintendo consoles.

Or maybe they're going with Dante for other reasons, even if he doesn't have an exclusive game coming to the Switch or doesn't have that much of a history with Nintendo. We know there's precedence for cases like this, and while that obviously doesn't determine anything, it doesn't feel like a strong point against Dante, specially if Nintendo decides to choose him. If we talk about the characters themselves and not their series, I'd say Dante is the biggest name of the three and the most popular in general, being the one that would probably appeal easily to most people, even to those who hadn't played his games. Maybe my bias is getting a little bit here, tho.

In the end we don't really know, because "Nintendo connections" can't really determine anything at all when according to that, we should have got Terra instead of Cloud or a Shin Megami Tensei rep instead of Joker. The same goes the other way around, Master Chief and Steve are definitely more popular and relevant than Banjo, but in the end we got B&K. Resident Evil has higher sales and was (and still is) more relevant than Megaman, and still, we got Megaman as our first Capcom character.
I agree for sure that MH, Dante and Wright are the Capcom contenders if they get another slot. Granted, I think Wright is at a slightly worse position at the moment considering the info we have right now, but still.

I was talking about Phoenix & Amaterasu. Even though I really want Dante, I think Monster Hunter getting in before him would be understandable. I wouldn’t be mad about Phoenix or Ammy since I like both of them, but it’d be confusing tbh.
I wouldn't say Phoenix getting in before Dante would be confusing. Surprising, maybe, because Dante is now more relevant and popular for different reasons, therefore, he's more present when people talks about Smash. But Phoenix still has a decent following. Amaterasu, while I'd adore his inclusion, feels more like a pipe dream. I wouldn't really put her in the same category as Dante, Phoenix or Monster Hunter.
I mean, I want Dante and Phoenix, but the first one is still the one I'd go for if I had to choose, but at the same time, it would be stupid to deny that Wright has more history when it comes to fan demand than Dante (even if it's only because of Ace Attorney strong association with Nintendo), regardless of their popularity in the general gaming community.

One thing is being unlikely, which could fit Phoenix Wright, but other thing is being almost impossible, which sounds more like Amaterasu to me. I literally don't see any scenario where Nintendo and Sakurai decide to skip Monster Hunter, Dante and Phoenix in order to add Amaterasu.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A guy who's fairly well respected in the community made a big, 6 paragraph Twitter post about how everyone needed to turn down their expectations for this Fighter's Pass.

While a lot of people took it at face value, eagle eyed people noticed that every Paragraph started with an M, an I, or an N, and since there were 6 paragraphs, putting them in order, you got MinMin.

There was also ZhugeEX who made the poll saying “whomever wins is in Smash” among Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min and Twintelle. Min Min won by a landslide, though I think he rigged it that way on purpose

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

Quick question. You possibly have a link to the post mentioned on hand?

Shroob

Sup?
Quick question. You possibly have a link to the post mentioned on hand?
It's one of Imran's tweets that he later reposted pointing out the 1st letters of each paragraph.

I don't have it on hand but it's definitely still on his Twitter.

Dude also leaked Hyrule Warriors BotW subtly the day before it came out so there's that.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm not too sure on the whole "lower your expectations" thing, since while, sure, there's fighters I'd love to see (Reimu and Madotsuki come to mind) all I really expect are characters that bring worthwhile content and gameplay to the table, which I feel has been consistently delivered thus far.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not too sure on the whole "lower your expectations" thing, since while, sure, there's fighters I'd love to see (Reimu and Madotsuki come to mind) all I really expect are characters that deliver interesting content and gameplay to the table, which I feel has been delivered thus far.
I'm not too sure on the whole "lower your expectations" thing either since Imran himself predicted we'd either see Sora or Master Chief within this pass, who aren't exactly "low expectations" characters. Quite the opposite.

Perhaps he meant overall, with just one or two exceptions. Or perhaps it was all a red herring so he could simply tease Min Min.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not too sure on the whole "lower your expectations" thing either since Imran himself predicted we'd either see Sora or Master Chief within this pass, who aren't exactly "low expectations" characters. Quite the opposite.

Perhaps he meant overall, with just one or two exceptions. Or perhaps it was all a red herring so he could simply tease Min Min.
I'm still keeping my expectations lower than normal since, we're nearly 2 years past the game's life and apparently this is the last dlc pass

....but on the flipside, I'm also like, 99% sure that was just a very tongue in cheek was to leak MinMin.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think he deleted it after Min Min’s reveal, saying “the ninjas are after me”
Nah, it's still up
Iirc the poll ended like the day before the actual reveal

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nah, it's still up
Man, poor Ribbon Girl though.

feel worse for Ninjara tho, he was Min Min’s opponent in the PCB and he wasn’t even listed here

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Man, poor Ribbon Girl though.

feel worse for Ninjara tho, he was Min Min’s opponent in the PCB and he wasn’t even listed here
Forget the PCB, he was the runner-up for the Smash slot

We all slept on him pretty hard, including myself. Could you imagine if he was actually chosen? Lol

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Forget the PCB, he was the runner-up for the Smash slot

We all slept on him pretty hard, including myself. Could you imagine if he was actually chosen? Lol
People slept hard on Ninjara. I didn't think he was actually going to wind up as the choice, but no one even seemed to acknowledge that he's the second or third most popular character in the game, just because it's seemingly not the online demographic that feels that way.

He was the runner up in both the Party Crash and the choice for inclusion. He was one of, if not the most played character. In another timeline, it could've been him. People can't keep underestimating that going forward, I feel.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don’t have much to say, but I’ll say this much.

The fact that I’m somewhat of a Dante stan aside- using Monster Hunter sales as a reason for why it would get in over Devil May Cry is interesting considering Resident Evil (known as Biohazard in Japan) got spirited.

Would still just point out that when Itsuno was interviewed about Dante, there was a specific conversation about Dante in Smash, to which he said, “He should probably be on a Nintendo platform first before he’s in Smash”, which was then followed by DMC1-3 on Switch, with a special exclusive version of DMC3 with big fan requested changes.

Doesn’t mean he’s in by any means, but it absolutely does not hurt him.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

The fact that I’m somewhat of a Dante stan aside- using Monster Hunter sales as a reason for why it would get in over Devil May Cry is interesting considering Resident Evil (known as Biohazard in Japan) got spirited.

Would still just point out that when Itsuno was interviewed about Dante, there was a specific conversation about Dante in Smash, to which he said, “He should probably be on a Nintendo platform first before he’s in Smash”, which was then followed by DMC1-3 on Switch, with a special exclusive version of DMC3 with big fan requested changes.

Look I just don’t want a pass that’s filled with western shills like geno Chief Dante & crash all together I’m just trying to find an alternative that seems like Somthing Nintendo can pick & can refresh the speculation scene

Shroob

Sup?
Look I just don’t want a pass that’s filled with western shills like geno Chief Dante & crash all together I’m just trying to find an alternative that seems like Somthing Nintendo can pick & can refresh the speculation scene
....I mean, according to that one article taken awhile back, Dante is 'the' most expected character to get in according to Japanese fans tbh, I wouldn't really call him a "Western shill" when his appeal is universal.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Popularity not being the be-all end-all doesn't mean sales are irrelevant.
It's also interesting that the most used argument in favor of Dante is the classic "game comes to Switch = Smash" which gets mocked for almost any other character.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nintendo Dream is saying they'll have a new game everyone will love? Factoring in for the Japanese News Media coefficient, this translates to "there might be a game that's not entirely old and it won't be completely loathesome". Seriously, they really overhype news like this in Japan. I've seen too many streams turn out to be nothing to think any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom