• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Some people get a lot of enjoyment from mashing a single button though.

It's why Belmont mains exist. :smirk:
You don't just mash a single button! You also hit a different button to make cool stuff happen.

For real though, there's a bit more strategy at play than button mashing. You also have to wait for the right time to use your super state thingy, larger opponents fight you similarly to most 3D The Legend of Zelda enemies, and then there's the real meat: Using all the characters to multitask so that you're not completely overwhelmed by the slew of things happening at once. Just sending characters on their way doesn't cut it though, so you will have to send them on errands while you do the most pressing task, then switch to them to get the next job done and so on.

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Pretty cool to get a canon Nintendo Warriors title. Hopefully we can get another FE Warriors game with actual cast variety. Only 5 characters weren't from Shadow Dragon or Fateswakening, and 2 of those were Warriors OCs.
Don't think Zelda is getting another character. Ryu still isn't confirmed either.
While I want Midna the most, I'll take any new Zelda rep that isn't a clone. Our last unique Zelda rep was :zeldamelee: back in Melee for crying out loud.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
So if Nintendo is going to add a new Zelda character, which I think is pretty probable, I do believe the character will be BOTW-themed. I've stated before in a previous post today that Nintendo seems to want to push the BOTW sub series, similar to SEGA and Sonic Boom a few years back. So I feel like if a Zelda character were to be on FP2, they would either have to be a character introduced in that game, or a pre-existing Zelda character that appears in that game, with their new BOTW art-style/design. That's just my personal thoughts though.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'd love a BoTW rep, the game was phenomenal, any of the champions would be very unique, and a playable guardian would be my ideal generic enemy, I don't think it's happening
Super Smash Bros. Direct Introduces 5th DLC Fighter, New Costumes, Fighters  Pass Vol. 2 - FBTB

If we were getting a Zelda character, wouldn't they have saved the Zelda costume for them?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think any Zelda character we could potentially get would absolutely be connected to BOTW.

It seems to me like it’s a whole “all in” approach with BOTW for Nintendo. They’ll have their own arc in the same amount of games as Wind Waker-PH-ST, and it’s considered by many to be one of the greatest games ever. Add that to the overall larger install base of fans who bought a Switch for it, and it really does seem like one of their biggest titles.

While I’m not convinced yet that BOTW is getting a character, I’d say it’s possible. I’m not so sure it’ll line up with Hyrule Warriors though, more likely with BOTW2, and we’re a ways off from hearing about that game.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
In the meantime, anybody have any gut feelings about who the next character reveal will be? I find it difficult to make the call myself, but that’s largely because we don’t have much to go on.
I'll bite - I think gut predictions are a fun discussion.

In the past, I completely arbitrarily identified two characters I felt were likely: 2B and Zhao Yun. The former because she felt like a "Rising Star" type of character like Joker or Bayo, who were current and late-previous gen, respectively, when they were added. It seems like the sort of character they like to go for. The latter was a total gut guess; I know nothing about the Dynasty Warriors games, and yet something about it felt oddly like KoF where nobody would anticipate it, but would make total sense in hindsight. I googled the protagonist and got Zhao Yun, so he's my guy i guess :4pacman:

A character that I've recently felt bullish about is Reimu. All the talk about her significance as a Japanese Indie character, Touhou's legacy and how easy the creator apparently is to work with would seem likely to lead to some type of Smash content. Maybe a Mii costume? Though, I remember there was supposedly some big secret project Touhou music makers were contacted about. Did anything come of that?

...Anyway. I wanna hear some hot takes about who's getting in. Anyone got a hunch?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

In the past, I completely arbitrarily identified two characters I felt were likely: 2B and Zhao Yun. The former because she felt like a "Rising Star" type of character like Joker or Bayo, who were current and late-previous gen, respectively, when they were added. It seems like the sort of character they like to go for. The latter was a total gut guess; I know nothing about the Dynasty Warriors games, and yet something about it felt oddly like KoF where nobody would anticipate it, but would make total sense in hindsight. I googled the protagonist and got Zhao Yun, so he's my guy i guess :4pacman:

A character that I've recently felt bullish about is Reimu. All the talk about her significance as a Japanese Indie character, Touhou's legacy and how easy the creator apparently is to work with would seem likely to lead to some type of Smash content. Maybe a Mii costume? Though, I remember there was supposedly some big secret project Touhou music makers were contacted about. Did anything come of that?

...Anyway. I wanna hear some hot takes about who's getting in. Anyone got a hunch?
I've had a few really strange but strong gut feelings throught the DLC.

Early base game - Arcade Bunny
Mid-Base game - Paper Mario
Early Pass 1 - Ezio, Grovyle
Late pass 1 - Arle
Present - Bravely Default rep, also Grovyle

Have a single one of these panned out? Nope. Will I stop believing whatever random character my gut tells me to belive in? also nope.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
In the meantime, anybody have any gut feelings about who the next character reveal will be? I find it difficult to make the call myself, but that’s largely because we don’t have much to go on.
I gave up going with my gut a loooong time ago. There's no telling what could happen from this point onward.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we were getting a Zelda character, wouldn't they have saved the Zelda costume for them?
I forgot about it because I don't care. lol

But you're right, it could very well be that a The Legend of Zelda character isn't even on the table.
EDIT: It's more likely than not now that I think about it...

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I got this strange feeling that there is a brand new Nintendo game we know nothing about in the works and that game will have a DLC fighter to promote it.

So it will be someone nobody could have predicted.
I don't know if Nintendo would want to do that.

D

Deleted member

I'd love a BoTW rep, the game was phenomenal, any of the champions would be very unique, and a playable guardian would be my ideal generic enemy, I don't think it's happening
Super Smash Bros. Direct Introduces 5th DLC Fighter, New Costumes, Fighters  Pass Vol. 2 - FBTB

They can make more Mii Costumes for more BoTW / HW:AoC/ BoTW 2 characters. It is like saying, "There is a Mario costume, that deconfirms a Mario character!". This is just one enemy as a Mii Costume, I am sure they can add more Mii Costumes. They even tend to add in third party Mii Costumes, so they just need three iconic BoTW/ HW:AoC/ BotW 2 characters, and there are many great characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Really feels like directs are dead. Why announce all your exciting games at once and have them fade out of consciousness at the same time, when you can make each and every one of them trend on their own? I wouldn’t be surprised if the amount of time before a specific game gets announced was a marketing strategy on its own. Things they’re confident in get a longer time period to build hype. Things they’re not confident in get pushed out before negativity or backlash can build up.

What does this mean for Smash? I’unno. That they’ll release news on some random slow news day so they can have attention all to themselves, I guess. Smash news will come when no one expects it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I got this strange feeling that there is a brand new Nintendo game we know nothing about in the works and that game will have a DLC fighter to promote it.

So it will be someone nobody could have predicted.
It's happened once in every DLC wave so far, including Smash 4.

So yeah, not a crazy assumption when it has precedence.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So who do we think will be playable in the new Hyrule Warriors? If we have a chance at a new Zelda rep in Smash I suspect any playable characters in the new Hyrule Warriors will have an increased chance of being chosen.

At this point we can obviously play as Link, Zelda, Daruk, Mipha, Urbosa, and Revali. But, it being a Warriors game, there is no way that they are the only ones. I'm guessing those are the initial reveals for the trailer because they are very obvious inclusions, with some other characters to be revealed in the Sept 26th info dump. So who else?

I'm thinking the following are possible:

King Rhoam
Young Impa, Robbie, and/or Purah
One of the Great Fairies? Do we know what they were doing 100 years ago? Or for that matter when their shrines became dilapidated?
The Horse God?
Ganon/Ganondorf even if just for a couple scenarios from his perspective
The adorable mini Guardian on the cover art
Kohga perhaps. Was he alive at the time?
Hestu as a silly fun character
The Zora King perhaps
Perhaps an original character to represent like the royal guard or something

And then who knows, perhaps some fun post game Zelda universe characters to play with that are outside the canon story of the game. Anyone else have any thoughts? I really wanna play as Hestu lol

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They can make more Mii Costumes for more BoTW / HW:AoC/ BoTW 2 characters. It is like saying, "There is a Mario costume, that deconfirms a Mario character!". This is just one enemy as a Mii Costume, I am sure they can add more Mii Costumes. They even tend to add in third party Mii Costumes, so they just need three iconic BoTW/ HW:AoC/ BotW 2 characters, and there are many great characters.
The point is that it's specifically part of a bonus if you purchase Fighters Pass Volume 2.

What would be the point of making this outfit the bonus when they know there's a Zelda character in that pass, which could fit perfectly in said character's wave of Mii outfits?

If it was its own thing in one of the outfits waves of the first Pass, this would be an entirely different story. So it's not just that we get a BotW costume, it's the specific circumstances behind how that outfit is given that can shut down chances of a Zelda rep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly... I’m less interested in who CP7 is and moreso interested in WHEN they’ll be reveled.

Don’t get me wrong: trying to figure out who a new fighter is always fun(especially when it’s a fan favorite)but when you’ve been waiting for what is essentially an entire summer the wait gets old fast.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly... I’m less interested in who CP7 is and moreso interested in WHEN they’ll be reveled.

Don’t get me wrong: trying to figure out who a new fighter is always fun(especially when it’s a fan favorite)but when you’ve been waiting for what is essentially an entire summer the wait gets old fast.
I feel like it should be happen this month or in october. I can hope XD

D

Deleted member

I think it would be nice if Zelda got a rep.

:ultlink::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:

Yes, but Zelda is huge for Nintendo. Considering three of them share a similar move-set, and one is similar to Captain Falcon, I think having one unique character from any Zelda game would be nice, as it would make the roster feel more unique.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only thing that suggests a BotW character isn't happening is the Mii Costume given away to anyone who bought the pass.

Personally, I don't think it should disqualify a BotW character. In Smash 4, we got a Chrom Mii costume before Corrin. Back then, I could've argued that we wouldn't get another FE character because they would've saved it for Corrin.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Really feels like directs are dead. Why announce all your exciting games at once and have them fade out of consciousness at the same time, when you can make each and every one of them trend on their own? I wouldn’t be surprised if the amount of time before a specific game gets announced was a marketing strategy on its own. Things they’re confident in get a longer time period to build hype. Things they’re not confident in get pushed out before negativity or backlash can build up.

What does this mean for Smash? I’unno. That they’ll release news on some random slow news day so they can have attention all to themselves, I guess. Smash news will come when no one expects it.
That would make sense after the disasterthat was Sword and shield. Don't want fans of a series complaining about the horrible direction of their lifelong passion nosireebob

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it would be nice if Zelda got a rep.

:ultlink::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:

Yes, but Zelda is huge for Nintendo. Considering three of them share a similar move-set, and one is similar to Captain Falcon, I think having one unique character from any Zelda game would be nice, as it would make the roster feel more unique.
It's 3 links, 2 zelda parts, and a falcon clone. Yeah I wouldnt mind seeing someone else XD

Impa, Mipha... someone ..

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The only thing that suggests a BotW character isn't happening is the Mii Costume given away to anyone who bought the pass.

Personally, I don't think it should disqualify a BotW character. In Smash 4, we got a Chrom Mii costume before Corrin. Back then, I could've argued that we wouldn't get another FE character because they would've saved it for Corrin.
Yeah, but back then, DLC didn't have as much direction in how it was handled.

No big fighter pass to emcompass multiple characters into a single purchase, so moments like getting Chrom's outfit before Corrin were more excusable, imo.

Heck, pretty sure Cloud and Ryu were the only Smash 4 DLCs to have had outfits that matched the IP. And even then, Ryu didn't come with any Street Fighter-specific stuff; he came with outfits from other Capcom properties.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'm still sticking with Reimu. Smash has slowly but surely been adding more indie content, and with how accepting Nintendo's been to indies lately, I'd be surprised if we don't come out without one. Sure, we couldn't get in Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Sans ****ing Undertale, but those are Western characters who came to prominence recently. The Touhou Project, on the other hand, is a long-running Japanese series, so I'm thinking/hoping that Reimu will succeed where others fell short based on having different merits than them.
It helps that Touhou has a fanbase like no other, to the point that some people find the series through fanworks and don't even realize they're a series of bullet hell games. It's gotten to the point that the standard for Touhou remixes is 60 to 200 per song, and it dominated conventions to the point that it had to get it's own all to itself in the form of Reitaisai, which was held annually until this year because, y'know, COVID. Heck, the only reason the games are left untranslated on Steam is because ZUN knows that the fans will make their own anyways.
Also Suika somehow managed to crash ESPN once. That actually happened once. Just sayin'.

I'm also betting on Isaac as the Banjo of FP2. He's popular, he's got a series to back him up, but hasn't been seen in a good long while. It helps that the backlash to his snowglobing made Nintendo aware of his popularity, if they weren't before.

Lastly, I've been taken aback by Sakura Wars' popularity in Japan. It's been adapted into just about every form of media, gets showered with praise from fans and critics, dominated a 2016 for revival interest and general brand interest (Competition included Jet Set Radio for the former and Sonic the Hedgehog himself for the latter), and even got it's own themed cafe and 25 stage shows. Plus, it's recently been branching out to the West, with games such as Project X Zone and the 2019 soft reboot. If Nintendo's okay with focusing on Japan specifically-Or not, if they or Sega decide they want to push Sakura Wars in the West like with Dragon Quest-I think Sakura has a pretty good shot.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, but back then, DLC didn't have as much direction in how it was handled.

No big fighter pass to emcompass multiple characters into a single purchase, so moments like getting Chrom's outfit before Corrin were more excusable, imo.
Still, this is a costume from the original BotW. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the orginal wouldn't be the game they'd focus on anyway.

Should we get a BotW character, I'm almost positive they'll tie it in with one of the two newer games. That means most of the content such as the stage, Spirits, and Mii costumes would be more affiliated with HW:AoC or BotW2 than BotW.

D

Deleted member

I haven't played BoTW that much, because I'm busy in other stuff, but I really like BoTW Zelda.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Still, this is a costume from the original BotW. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the orginal wouldn't be the game they'd focus on anyway.
But it's the same world, so it's not crazy to assume the same technology, including the armor, would exist in the sequel.

Just because it's a sequel doesn't mean everything from the first game no longer exists.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I'm thinking we will be getting at least one """Niche""" rep someone like Estelle, Saber, Sakura, Ryza, Reimu, Haruka I also feel like we will be getting a really popular rep like Crash or Sora

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
It helps that Touhou has a fanbase like no other, to the point that some people find the series through fanworks and don't even realize they're a series of bullet hell games. It's gotten to the point that the standard for Touhou remixes is 60 to 200 per song, and it dominated conventions to the point that it had to get it's own all to itself in the form of Reitaisai, which was held annually until this year because, y'know, COVID. Heck, the only reason the games are left untranslated on Steam is because ZUN knows that the fans will make their own anyways.
Wild how much stuff comes out of that fanbase. As someone largely unfamiliar with Touhou, how does that happen? I heard the creator is real lax about fangames - does that just kinda start a chain reaction of content creation? It's hard to imagine how a bullet hell series (a good one, I'm sure, I just mean to say it's reach is atypical even for a cult game) spreads it's community culture so far. How does Touhou's reputation precede itself to such an extent??

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe

I keep saying it, but my gut says Wolf from Sekiro is in. It won game of the year, is one of the most popular and unique Fromsoft games, and is getting a free update next year! A character who can revive themselves (get a stock back or subtract a point from the one who KOed them) would be a very interesting concept for smash and I’d love to see how they’d do it

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Lastly, I've been taken aback by Sakura Wars' popularity in Japan. It's been adapted into just about every form of media, gets showered with praise from fans and critics, dominated a 2016 for revival interest and general brand interest (Competition included Jet Set Radio for the former and Sonic the Hedgehog himself for the latter), and even got it's own themed cafe and 25 stage shows. Plus, it's recently been branching out to the West, with games such as Project X Zone and the 2019 soft reboot. If Nintendo's okay with focusing on Japan specifically-Or not, if they or Sega decide they want to push Sakura Wars in the West like with Dragon Quest-I think Sakura has a pretty good shot.
There's a good train of logic here that left me wanting actually wanting to support this series for smash.

Before the the 2010's the only Sakura wars content we got in the west was the anime adaptation of the first game. But in the 2010's they've started trying to expand the series in the west and Smash has always had a history with introducing a wider audience of Westerners to popular Japanese RPG franchises. Mother, Fire emblem, Xenoblade, Persona and Dragon Quest all fall under this, we could very well get another, who knows.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I keep saying it, but my gut says Wolf from Sekiro is in. It won game of the year, is one of the most popular and unique Fromsoft games, and is getting a free update next year! A character who can revive themselves (get a stock back or subtract a point from the one who KOed them) would be a very interesting concept for smash and I’d love to see how they’d do it
Maaaaaaaan, I still gotta play Sekiro, but I've gotta finish Dark Souls 1 and 2 first. As gaming goes, I pretty much live and breathe Fromsoft at this point, so I'd be super jazzed to see any of their stuff make it into Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom