• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Even if Paper Mario is out, not all is lost!

There’s still Metal Mario, Baby Mario, Gold Mario, Frog Mario, Cat Mario, Tanooki Mario, Mario in a Kart, Penguin Mario, tall Mario, balloon Mario, 8 bit Mario, Mario Tennis Aces Mario, Fire Mario, Hammer Bro Mario, Hotel Mario Mario, Super Mario Bros Super Show Mario, Wedding Dress Mar-
whacks with roundhouse kick

whew, I don’t think we need another one of those, don’t we?

At this point, Geno would be the best Mario character now

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
On one hand, he could've been a cool character, on the other hand, he probably would've been built around the sticker games, which would've been bleugh. It'd be like having Homer Simpson as a playable character but his moveset exclusively references seasons 12 and onward, with his final smash summoning Lady Gaga while Bart and Lisa sing Tick Tock.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is a factual statement. Their smiles light up the night sky.

Anyhoo, Paper Mario was the Mario character I was leaning towards the most. With him now most likely out of the running, I'm back to thinking Mario probably ain't getting anything, as I'm not really all that confident in the options left.
so CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTEEEEEEEEE!! 💖

Even if Paper Mario is out, not all is lost!

There’s still Metal Mario, Baby Mario, Gold Mario, Frog Mario, Cat Mario, Tanooki Mario, Mario in a Kart, Penguin Mario, tall Mario, balloon Mario, 8 bit Mario, Mario Tennis Aces Mario, Fire Mario, Hammer Bro Mario, Hotel Mario Mario, Super Mario Bros Super Show Mario, Wedding Dress Mar-
bro you forgot the superior one

Live Action Movie Mario

:troll:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm curious as to how medical degrees are handed out so freely in the Mario verse.

We got Babies with degrees, now we're giving degrees to the Squids?!
Why are you surprised? We also got Dr. Goomba Stack before. As in, not even just a Goomba who is a doctor despite having no arms, but three of them just stacked on top of each other and somehow counting as ONE doctor.

Squids are a perfectly sane idea after that one.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

It looks like there's three new spirits this time.
that doesn't look too good for Paper Mario's chances.

Hey, so Over on Gamefaqs, Apparently some guy is saying there's a rumor in the inside that Nintendo Paid for an Apex Legends character and some music License last year

Now I know anyone can say anything, but since this is out there, I'm wondering if people have been hearing of this rumor as well. I would never Expect EA to be Represented in Smash despite how big they are, but you know, anything's Possible
1:Are you sure this person is a reliable source/gotten things right in a consistent manner,
2:Why Apex Legends.
3:Even if it is an Apex character the way the "rumor" says, it sounds more like a mii costume than a playable one.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On one hand, he could've been a cool character, on the other hand, he probably would've been built around the sticker games, which would've been bleugh.
Hmm. Would it? On the one hand Smash characters tend to lean to older entries for inspiration, but on the other hand, I'm not sure Nintendo would be ok with a moveset derived from the RPGs when the games are trying so hard to get you to ignore their RPG elements while still having them be the crux of the gameplay.

D

Deleted member

Hey, so Over on Gamefaqs, Apparently some guy is saying there's a rumor in the inside that Nintendo Paid for an Apex Legends character and some music License last year

Now I know anyone can say anything, but since this is out there, I'm wondering if people have been hearing of this rumor as well. I would never Expect EA to be Represented in Smash despite how big they are, but you know, anything's Possible
Yeah I seriously doubt that. That's like some monkey's paw level **** if you ask me. "Oh you want us to catch up to the trends?" "Here, have a character from a now-not trending game!"

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hmm. Would it? On the one hand Smash characters tend to lean to older entries for inspiration, but on the other hand, I'm not sure Nintendo would be ok with a moveset derived from the RPGs when the games are trying so hard to get you to ignore their RPG elements while still having them be the crux of the gameplay.
Nintendo's focus on SF64 didn't prevent Smash 4 from adding a new Assault stage and Ultimate from at least acknowledging Krystal demand in the form of an assist trophy.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
They didn't seem to mind the Thousand Year Door level within the Paper Mario stage back with Smash 3DS, so I don't think they'd mind any references to the RPG games in a possible Paper Mario moveset. I think it would come down more to if Sakurai would want to use those games as a basis rather then Nintendo blocking him.

Isn't that Oragami King?
In terms of actual quality yes, it's just that the desire is for a proper RPG and it's still not that.

D

Deleted member

Isn't that Oragami King?
It's debatable honestly. Origami King is... sooooo close to being a return to the good while also being its own thing.. but the combat,while mostly fine, along with the whole "can't use unique designs" thing kinda brought the game down just enough to where it's.. average. It's no Color Splash.. but it's also not TTYD 2,if that's what you're looking for.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wait actually, Since Mario is the current topic

How are you guys feeling about Another Mario Character in This Fighter Pass, Both in Likelihood and Want?

D

Deleted member

How are you guys feeling about Another Mario Character in This Fighter Pass, Both in Likelihood and Want?
Wouldn't mind it per say but I really want Nintendo to do a couple 3rd parties before another 1st/2nd Party, considering we just got Min Min.

It's just more interesting to speculate about 3rd parties than 1st parties for me IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

There's no Mario character that I want and for likelihood, the only one I think could happen is Geno but I'd say is chance are relatively low, but not impossible.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's debatable honestly. Origami King is... sooooo close to being a return to the good while also being its own thing.. but the combat,while mostly fine, along with the whole "can't use unique designs" thing kinda brought the game down just enough to where it's.. average. It's no Color Splash.. but it's also not TTYD 2,if that's what you're looking for.
In my opinion, if there's no reason to interact with the RPG part of an RPG, then it can't be a good game, and the lack of a functional progression system also drops the reason to interact with the RPG stuff. They either need to put it back in (it doesn't even have to be in the form of XP) or just make an adventure game, which is what seems like the devs actually want to do.

Also let them be creative with their designs again Nintendo. It's ok. They ain't gonna ruin your image.

I always thought King Boo would make for an interesting fighter...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In my opinion, if there's no reason to interact with the RPG part of an RPG, then it can't be a good game, and the lack of a functional progression system also drops the reason to interact with the RPG stuff. They either need to put it back in (it doesn't even have to be in the form of XP) or just make an adventure game, which is what seems like the devs actually want to do.
That's basically where I stand too ngl. Like... why even have an RPG system when you don't do.. like anything with it? You get so many coins it may as well be an exp bar that does nothing but allow you to buy stuff.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
On one hand, he could've been a cool character, on the other hand, he probably would've been built around the sticker games, which would've been bleugh. It'd be like having Homer Simpson as a playable character but his moveset exclusively references seasons 12 and onward, with his final smash summoning Lady Gaga while Bart and Lisa sing Tick Tock.
Wow, you emotionally hurt me with this comparison, I'm a fan of both their old entries.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

In my opinion, the best shot Mario has is Geno, and while he's probably at his highest chance he's ever had, I'm personally not convinced he's the most likely candidate if SE is getting another rep for a few different reasons. That said, he is definitely a viable option and I'm not discounting him completely.

As for my own personal wants, Waluigi is a dream pick for me, but I honestly don't see AT upgrades happening right now.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The newer Paper Mario games are like RPGs that are embarrassed about being RPGs. What the series really needs at this point is its own equivalent to Resident Evil 7, a game that loudly and proudly brings the series back to its roots... which sadly isn't gonna happen anytime soon due to both the developers themselves (after all those interviews, I do not trust Kensuke Tanabe and the rest of Intelligent Systems to ever make a Paper Mario game like the old ones) and Nintendo's current "We hate side characters" mandate for Mario spin-offs.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Good to have spirit events back, spirits don’t hold a candle to trophies but I’d be lying if I said they weren’t fun to collect.

I really wanted Paper Mario back in the pre-Smash 4 days, but considering he would probably be 95% based on the modern entries I can’t say I’m shedding tears over here.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
they’re always watching... always.
"This guy wants to sleep with you Akira"

The newer Paper Mario games are like RPGs that are embarrassed about being RPGs. What the series really needs at this point is its own equivalent to Resident Evil 7, a game that loudly and proudly brings the series back to its roots... which sadly isn't gonna happen anytime soon due to both the developers themselves (after all those interviews, I do not trust Kensuke Tanabe and the rest of Intelligent Systems to ever make a Paper Mario game like the old ones) and Nintendo's current "We hate side characters" mandate for Mario spin-offs.
This will never not be stupid.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm very indifferent to getting another Mario character personally. We did get the completely out of left field Piranha Plant for DLC which turned out to be a much better character than I anticipated, so as far as Mario goes for newcomers I'm satisfied.

Geno I don't particularly care for and Wah would be kinda cool but I won't miss him if he's not added. Paper Mario I'd pass on personally.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
What was Nintendo's reasoning for no prominent side characters again? Might as well make this the box art for the next Paper Mario:

Brand recognition, everything was changed to match the aesthetic from New super Mario bros Wii after that games success.

It's also why they changed Luigi's design in the Mario and Luigi games. That's a minor thing but it's the first thing that comes to mind with this change

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

It looks like there's three new spirits this time.
phew Thank god. I don't have to keep worrying about a 3rd Mario now.

The newer Paper Mario games are like RPGs that are embarrassed about being RPGs. What the series really needs at this point is its own equivalent to Resident Evil 7, a game that loudly and proudly brings the series back to its roots...
Paper Mario: Legend of the Seven Stars!!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Brand recognition, everything was changed to match the aesthetic from New super Mario bros Wii after that games success.

It's also why they changed Luigi's design in the Mario and Luigi games. That's a minor thing but it's the first thing that comes to mind with this change
They changed Luigi's design...?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
They changed Luigi's design...?
In the early Mario and Luigi games the designs of all the characters were more stylized and Luigi, to give him a bit of a difference between him and Mario, had a slightly different design than he does in other Mario games. (Mario looked chubbier and Luigi looked thinner and had overalls that were too small for him.)

But in dream team the brothers designs tweaked back to how they normally look.

It's such a minor change yet it was different enough that Nintendo had to call them out on it I guess.

It's kinda funny that the ever controlling Disney let's outside sources get creative with their mascot but Nintendo doesn't do the same.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Yeah I seriously doubt that. That's like some monkey's paw level **** if you ask me. "Oh you want us to catch up to the trends?" "Here, have a character from a now-not trending game!"
Vtubers have made it trend again.

Not like that means anything for the fighters pass of course. It's just interesting to think how if Korone existed 5 years ago, Doom might actually have a presence in Japan and thus be a legit possibility in Smash.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
puts on tinfoil hat

I have an idea to propose. Direct seems to be before the end of August, right? August pretty much ends this week. We get a spirit event today: Paper Mario, 3 brand new spirits. A Mario RPG spirit event. Seems almost too perfect for a Geno reveal in a direct this week, right? Didn't something happen with a spirit event right before Byleth was announced?

Idk guys, as pessimistic as this thread can be about Geno, I wouldn't be too surprised, especially since Geno also fits the criteria of the "new worlds" theory.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Paper Mario was a character I liked, so I'm a little bummed. I guess he's not outright deconfirmed just yet, but I really don't know why they wouldn't have saved the Spirits for the bundle instead of randomly releasing them a month after release if Paper Mario was playable.

Oh well. We did get Daisy and PP, so I can't complain if he or any other Mario character isn't in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom