• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
View attachment 282548
patience, young padawan. General directs (even if mini) ALWAYS follow an indie

then again this is Twitter, where nobody is satisfied ever
While I agree with being patient, I will caution that the "Indie Direct means a General" is not a proven consistent pattern, though.

AFAIK, there hasn't always been a regular Direct after an Indie World. Heck, only reason people are talking about the possibility is because of NateDrake. There's been plenty of indie events that were just indie events and nothing more. I would caution people thinking that this locks anything.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
You know what would be an interesting change of place instead of listing our most wanted under a different guise every 3 pages in this thread?

How about you list your most wanted and argue against them. Let's see how well people can play devil's advocate; that might turn out pretty interesting.
Master Chief - Xbox & Halo are not popular in Japan. The FPS genre is not popular in Japan. Halo has not been on a Nintendo system & Master Chief’s only Nintendo appearance is as a skin in Minecraft. Speaking of Minecraft, if Nintendo goes back to Microsoft for a character then it’s probably for Steve. Minecraft is the biggest game of all-time & has had a major presence on the last 3 Nintendo systems. Why choose the face of a rival brand that’s never been on your systems instead of the face of the highest grossing game ever?

Dante - Has had very few Nintendo appearances until 2019. He’s the new “fake leak/leak bait” character. If Monster Hunter & Resident Evil couldn’t get a character then why would Devil May Cry? Capcom already has 3 characters, they’re not going to get another one in Ultimate.

Crash - Activision is an awful company & would probably be very demanding of Nintendo. Crash was a dead/bad series for about twice as long as it was alive/good. Crash’s comeback is very recent & only because of a couple remakes. Crash is another fake leak/leak bait character. Nintendo higher ups still might not be fond of Crash due to the crude anti-Mario commercials from the ‘90s. He would have a “basic” moveset & wouldn’t offer anything new to the roster.

Jill/Leon/Claire - Already a DLC spirit event, that 99% disconfirms Jill & Leon. Claire is the 4th protagonist & has been used the least with only 4 notable appearances, one being a remake. Capcom would choose their pet, Chris, instead of any of these 3. The RE characters’ move set would require real life firearms & probably wouldn’t be “flashy” enough. The RE series is too gory to be represented with a playable character.

2B - No notable Nintendo appearances. From a series that only just now had a breakout title; the first Nier is a game that bombed & has a mixed reception, not really the legacy that is seen often with Smash characters. Smash is for “good boys & girls”; they probably wouldn’t be able to change 2B’s design enough to make her a “good girl”. Why would they choose 2B over Geno or a Bravely Default character?

Fighters Pass 2 is primarily first party &/or small/niche third parties for all 5 of them.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Just to be clear, Kelios, Nate, and Captain have all hinted at a general on the 28th.
They all said the Partner Showcase would be a General too.

No offense to them, I got nothing against them, but TBH after the Partner Showcase, I'm not sure how much I trust them to get specifics when all the info they gave on specifics was completely wrong. TBH I'm expecting another Partner Showcase if anything. :drshrug:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
28 looks suspiciously similar to 2B, so I guess we know which character we're getting.
Of course!
Hamlet, from William Shakespeare's Hamlet! I can' wait to see how they adapt his moveset from the play!

They all said the Partner Showcase would be a General too.

No offense to them, I got nothing against them, but TBH after the Partner Showcase, I'm not sure how much I trust them to get specifics when all the info they gave on specifics was completely wrong. TBH I'm expecting another Partner Showcase if anything. :drshrug:
Did they, though? Because I seem to recall most insiders telling us to temper our expectations before that one.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know you're playing devil's advocate, but I have problems with these arguments.

Gardevoir is a fan favourite but nowhere near the levels of a bunch of Generation 1 Pokemon like Blastoise and Gengar have.
Odd. I thought Gardevoir was way more popular than those two.

Not to mention that Gardevoir's archetype of the lightweight "magic" user has been taken by Princess Zelda.
Right, because a motif can only be done one way. :ultsheik::ultgreninja::ultjoker:

patience, young padawan. General directs (even if mini) ALWAYS follow an indie
I assume Twitter hasn't caught wind yet of these Indie world showcases usually being followed up by a Direct shortly after?
They're not always though, and I'd be willing to bet it won't be this time.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Heck, I'm terrified of what the Indie World livechat will be like given the current Direct drought. That thing is already bad, but with how on edge people are? Hooooo boy, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to mute it for this one.
Don’t tell me you’re reading the livechat? That’s the first thing I disable every time.

Oh boy here comes another theory likely not true.
10 bucks that PapaGenos will make a video about this. :4pacman:

Last edited:

MooMew64

Can't we just be happy that we're getting something? Yes, a general Direct is more desirable, but at least we're not in radio silence anymore. I'd prefer an Indie Direct over that.
Heck yeah I'm happy to get something. Indie games are fantastic, I'm always happy to see what they're cooking up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
as for the indie direct itself, I fully predict Silksong news, maybe that Cuphead DLC they’ve been working on since 2018

Pipe dreams: more Gunvolt 3 news & Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Switch port confirmation

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Expecting something from Hollow Knight Silksong and Yacht Club's upcoming Cyber Shadow. If I get lucky, Gestalt: Steam and Cinder and Touhou Luna Nights as well.
Don’t tell me you’re reading the livechat? That’s the first thing I disable every time.
I just fullscreen the Direct, so I'm left blissfully unaware.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Since Indies are on the minds of everyone here, are there any other Nintendo-Indie collabs you think might miraculously happen? I wouldn't mind a nee Ice Climber, for example, given their only claim to fame is being in Smash, at the moment.

Speaking of Smash, are we all in agreement that there will NOT be a reveal in this showcase? Because we all know about THOSE people...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Partner direct wasn’t that bad, SMT V AND NOCTURNE. that was great. The fact the west got some WWE shovelware while Japan got Atelier Ryza 2 is stupid tho

the real bad one was the one with the Bakugan game that looked like a Wii game, you can tell they caved to sponsorship for that one

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Since Indies are on the minds of everyone here, are there any other Nintendo-Indie collabs you think might miraculously happen? I wouldn't mind a nee Ice Climber, for example, given their only claim to fame is being in Smash, at the moment.

Speaking of Smash, are we all in agreement that there will NOT be a reveal in this showcase? Because we all know about THOSE people...
I'm kinda hoping for Nintendo to give Touhou AoCF a proper English translation, because the official one is... Iffy, to say the least.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Partner direct wasn’t that bad, SMT V AND NOCTURNE. that was great. The fact the west got some WWE shovelware while Japan got Atelier Ryza 2 is stupid tho

the real bad one was the one with the Bakugan game that looked like a Wii game, you can tell they caved to sponsorship for that one
To be fair Bakugan wasn't really part of a direct. Just a random Threehouse thing about Paper Mario.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ya know, I think you might be onto something. Allowing indie developers/other developers in general make games for dead franchises like Ice Climber, Custom Robo, F-Zero, and the like could lead to some amazing franchise revivals. Of course these would be licensed games, I'm not saying Nintendo should just give away their IPs, but the hypothetical potential is still is still quite exciting.

EDIT: There's also not too much risk either since Nintendo isn't planning on doing anything with these IPs anyway.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I've been waiting ever since last E3 for Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. Last E3. Over a YEAR.
And then it's tucked away behind the Japanese direct while Western fans are stuck with WWE Battlegrounds, AKA Pretty Much Nothing. I was so peeved when I found out that happened.

Ah well, at least we got the doggo.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I've been waiting ever since last E3 for Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. Last E3. Over a YEAR.
And then it's tucked away behind the Japanese direct while Western fans are stuck with WWE Battlegrounds, AKA Pretty Much Nothing. I was so peeved when I found out that happened.

Ah well, at least we got the doggo.
Still. It could be worse.

I'm glad that we got Cadance of Hyrule DLC though. (Shadow Link and Shadow Zelda are playable, LET'S GOOOOO!)

SKX31

Smash Master
Nintendo has already won the year with a portable Pikmin anyway, so yeah, a Direct is uneeded.
Nintendo already won the year when they released Jump Rope Buddy. :4pacman:

Ya know, I think you might be onto something. Allowing indie developers/other developers in general make games for dead franchises like Ice Climber, Custom Robo, F-Zero, and the like could lead to some amazing franchise revivals. Of course these would be licensed games, I'm not saying Nintendo should just give away their IPs, but the hypothetical potential is still is still quite exciting.
Considering that they've already dipped their toes with Mario + Rabbids and Cadence, Nintendo should do more such collabs (perhaps even buy some indie devs) IMHO. Would bolster the Switch's library overall and help during the lean years.

TBF WWE was the only bonafide bomb if you ask me (and that's because it's obviously a consequence of the disasterous WWE 2K20). I've been somewhat harsh on Rogue Company in the past - but hey, it appears to be doing pretty damn well, and that on the Switch will probably not be a bad thing.

Still though, fully agreed that the Japanese stuff should've been in the Showcase (and there are quite a few other projects left out entirely that could've been included...)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You know what would be an interesting change of place instead of listing our most wanted under a different guise every 3 pages in this thread?

How about you list your most wanted and argue against them. Let's see how well people can play devil's advocate; that might turn out pretty interesting.
Well, I didn't want to do this but I leave myself with no choice.

First of all, Sgt. Cortez is way too popular. Like everyone knows who he is. I don't know a single person who has not heard of him! How is he going to compete with other characters? They're not as well known as him.

Secondly, he hasn't had a single year where a TimeSplitters game hasn't come out. It's crazy. They're being pumped out every year and lines get formed every night for a midnight release. That means not everyone is going to have a chance to play his games, just most people. Those people who never get a chance to play TimeSplitters is what really holds him back from being likely to appear in Smash Bros.

Finally, he's just way too likely to appear in Smash Bros. Like he's 100% confirmed to join, yet at the same time not likely to appear at all. It's such a dilemma.

I'm sorry Cortez but I had to do this to you. I had to find some way to humble you.
Sad Cortez small.png

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think there's loads of 2D/simpler 3D emphasized franchises that could use it; DK, Wario Land, Punch Out, etc.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
kelios gives the exact date of a Nintendo Direct in advance twice in a row

"Eh, I dunno man, he didn't tell us it was a new type of Direct nobody was anticipating. He probably just guessed and knows nothing."
What’s that? A Direct without Smash, Mario or Zelda? No cred, into the trash it goes.

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
I think there could be great results from that. It's worked out pretty well for Sega with Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4, and to an extent Panzer Dragoon Remake (although I've heard both good and not-so-good things about that one, so maybe that's not a great example). As long as Nintendo keeps an eye on these hypothetical projects to ensure they hold up, it sounds like a win-win situation. We finally get new games in series that we haven't in forever, and Nintendo still has all of their resources focused on their big projects.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think there could be great results from that. It's worked out pretty well for Sega with Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4, and to an extent Panzer Dragoon Remake (although I've heard both good and not-so-good things about that one, so maybe that's not a great example). As long as Nintendo keeps an eye on these hypothetical projects to ensure they hold up, it sounds like a win-win situation. We finally get new games in series that we haven't in forever, and Nintendo still has all of their resources focused on their big projects.
Don't worry, if there's one thing Nintendo is good at, it's keeping a close eye on collabs. Especially if it's one of their big names like Mario. Then again, we're talking about smaller IPs, so it's a little hard to say.

I don't really think we're going to see one tomorrow, but at some point I could see something happen for Metroid, like maybe a Metroid x Cave Story type of thing. In the far future I could also see Fire Emblem get an Indie collab, but it would take a particular kind of game.

Earthbound would be the perfect choice if the series wasn't in such a weird place. It's a series where I could see the aesthetic, world, and writing moved into a different genre to make something new. I just don't see it happening unless Nintendo decides to revive Earthbound.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't really think we're going to see one tomorrow, but at some point I could see something happen for Metroid, like maybe a Metroid x Cave Story type of thing. In the far future I could also see Fire Emblem get an Indie collab, but it would take a particular kind of game.

Earthbound would be the perfect choice if the series wasn't in such a weird place. It's a series where I could see the aesthetic, world, and writing moved into a different genre to make something new. I just don't see it happening unless Nintendo decides to revive Earthbound.
with EarthBound, Itoi said that he himself was done with the series and that he wouldn't mind seeing someone else take the reins

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

with EarthBound, Itoi said that he himself was done with the series and that he wouldn't mind seeing someone else take the reins
I'd imagine large (EDIT: in terms of workload) and beloved series like Earthbound and Golden Sun would be one of the more difficult series to get Nintendo to allow others to make a game for. With how long their hiatuses are, they're gonna need well made, fully fledged titles to get anyone to like the new games, and said new games also have to live up to the hype. Whoever attempts to take over series like those really needs to know what they're doing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't we just be happy that we're getting something? Yes, a general Direct is more desirable, but at least we're not in radio silence anymore. I'd prefer an Indie Direct over that.
Indies are nice and all; there's usually at least one diamond in the rough in the bunch, but they're small potatoes. We want a General Direct; we want Nintendo's plans; not 3rd party games that's basically just gaming's equivalent to filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom