• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Joker definitely gave people reasons to think big for DLC picks, considering P5 was both a big name game and one with not much Nintendo connection. Byleth and Minmin in comparison narrow it down to "what games are on/coming out on Switch?" and as of late that's become a REALLY narrow category.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
My b, I should've made it way more clear I was joking. The only thing I was serious about is that I wish there were more discussion around completely random picks as opposed to the most popular, the most logical, the ones that make the most sense. Of course, those characters have the best chance, but it's always fun to see Sakurai pull something out of his ass like Wii Fit Trainer.

I don't know, I'm probably making no sense right now. Admittedly I had a bit too much to drink.
Well, if you want random picks:

Billy Hatcher for Smash. Discuss.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Joker definitely gave people reasons to think big for DLC picks, considering P5 was both a big name game and one with not much Nintendo connection. Byleth and Minmin in comparison narrow it down to "what games are on/coming out on Switch?" and as of late that's become a REALLY narrow category.
I'm sticking to the belief that Min Min was meant to be revealed alongside a heavy hitter for CP7 to help drum up ARMS hype while she was being developed, but that fell through when E3 went down. I'm reserving my predictions for after CP7 is announced.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm sticking to the belief that Min Min was meant to be revealed alongside a heavy hitter for CP7 to help drum up ARMS hype while she was being developed, but that fell through when E3 went down. I'm reserving my predictions for after CP7 is announced.
This for me as well. Like i say, Whoever FP7 is would probably dictate what type of characters to expect going forward

If it's a character like Crash, Dante, Master Chief, etc, someone that has hype to casuals and also Smash Fanbase, then i think everything still on the table

If it's a Character like Geno and Isaac, I would change my expectations a bit, differing from the above scenraio

and if it's Something like Gen 8 Pokemon, Paper Mario, or Rex, I would really be more on the "Promoting Switch Hardware train"

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If we're really looking for a "pattern" of what the pass might look like, then I would say that it's similar to what Sakurai pointed out in the first pass.

Each character brought something new to the table. Whether through gameplay, content, or both, each Challenger Pack brought something new to the game. Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, and even Byleth all did that.

Not to say that's a "rule" or something. It's just a simple observation. It's why I feel most DLC will continue that trend.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If we're really looking for a "pattern" of what the pass might look like, then I would say that it's similar to what Sakurai pointed out in the first pass.

Each character brought something new to the table. Whether through gameplay, content, or both, each Challenger Pack brought something new to the game. Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, and even Byleth all did that.

Not to say that's a "rule" or something. It's just a simple observation. It's why I feel most DLC will continue that trend.
Well that doesn't exactly narrow down the choices though

Also I would just like to say, I think people should Take Mortal Kombat more seriously

Calane

Smash Ace
I'd want Estelle over Adol, honestly, and I think she'd be a more interesting addition. I don't know if Adol's greater presence on Nintendo would matter, either. I hope you're more right than I am. Because I honestly don't even know what Adol would do to make him stand out (I'm sure there's stuff there, I just don't know what that is). I'm not very familiar with Ys myself, but I know Trails somewhat, so maybe that's bias talking. Ys just came to mind as a long-running series that doesn't get a lot of attention, but could work in Smash if given the chance.
Hark! Calane has been summoned! ...Well, not really, but as a huge Ys fan, I thought I'd give some of my ideas on an easy gimmick Adol could have that'd set him apart. It's not even a reach, either.

You see, in modern Ys games, the combat works on a "weapon type" system where certain types do extra or minimal damage to certain enemies. There's three weapon types, those being slashing weapons, smashing weapons, and piercing weapons. Slashers do extra damage to "soft" enemies, Smashers do extra damage to armored enemies, and Piercers do extra damage to flying enemies. Usually, Adol is aligned with the Slashing weapon type only, but in Ys Seven, he was able to change his weapon type by simply equipping different swords that fell into each type (something only he was able to do in that game).

In Ys Seven, Slasher Adol had swift and sweeping attacks, Smasher Adol had slower and heavier attacks, and Piercer Adol had more linear stabbing/thrusting attacks.

What this means is that Adol could have a gimmick where he can switch what type of sword he's wielding mid-battle, which changes how he fights on the fly. Perhaps the three different swords Adol could equip would change all of his normals and aerials, but none of his smash attacks or specials. This would make him a fighter who'd essential be three "semi-clones" in one character, and you could switch between those styles at will.

But that's not all! I can take this a step further! In Ys VI, Adol could also switch between three weapons, but these were more unique thematically than the ones he could wield in Ys Seven. I believe they also changed the way Adol attacked in that game as well, so the concept above would still apply if you were to take from VI instead. In this game, however, the three swords Adol could wield had elemental attributes, which would add to the uniqueness of the weapon switching gimmick I already explained. The three swords were:

Ys6-Livart.jpg Livart: Wind Element. Would be considered the Slashing weapon type.
Ys6-Brilliante.jpg Brilliante: Fire Element. Would be considered the Smashing weapon type (given Adol's more wild looking swings when wielding it in the game.)
Ys6-Ericcil.jpg Ericcil: Lightning Element. Would be considered the Piercing weapon type.

So, if we went with this idea, not only could he switch into three different fighting styles (more or less), but each sword would have a different elemental attribute as well.

In addition to this, his moveset should be based off of the skills he learns in games like Seven, Memories of Celceta, and Lacrimosa of Dana, which would already make him fight uniquely from the rest of the Smash cast without any need for gimmicks at all.

To top it all off, they could make him the only fighter who can damage opponents by just walking/running into them. This could be added along with the ideas said above, and would be a cool reference to the bump combat of the early games.

The character who comes closest to this concept is probably Min Min, but what I described works quite a bit differently, and Adol obviously wouldn't fight anything like her anyway.

So there's some examples of things Adol could bring to the table. I'm not sure if Sakurai would go for any of these ideas, but it's probably the direction I would go myself. There's tons of Ys games, and a lot of material to work with, so Sakurai could probably come up with something better than the ideas I presented.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well that doesn't exactly narrow down the choices though

Also I would just like to say, I think people should Take Mortal Kombat more seriously
I didn't say it would narrow things down, but if they're going for a "new worlds" perspective, then it might not bode well for picks that don't bring a unique universe (Mario, Kirby, etc), but it might bode well for a series that brings in a "new world" through the stage, music, etc. Something like the Galar Region or a new 3rd Party series.

As far as Mortal Kombat, I think the lack of interest in speculation has more to do with the absolute lack of presence in Japan. I'm not all that certain that the violence would keep somebody like Scorpion out (he could likely work out just fine) but I think it has more to do with that disconnect between regions. It's not even sold there.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I didn't say it would narrow things down, but if they're going for a "new worlds" perspective, then it might not bode well for picks that don't bring a unique universe (Mario, Kirby, etc), but it might bode well for a series that brings in a "new world" through the stage, music, etc. Something like the Galar Region or a new 3rd Party series.

As far as Mortal Kombat, I think the lack of interest in speculation has more to do with the absolute lack of presence in Japan. I'm not all that certain that the violence would keep somebody like Scorpion out (he could likely work out just fine) but I think it has more to do with that disconnect between regions. It's not even sold there.
true. Newer worlds do have better shot i would say. yes

And as for Mortal Kombat, I know people will be more skeptical due to lack of Presence. I just wanted to say that because It's gonna look better on me if we do get Scorpion or something, and it be like "I warned you guys"

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think that the best reveal order would be (if there is any third party fighters) that the next fighter(s) are from other companies (they generate more hype and encourage people to buy FP2) and the last ones from Nintendo.

Like if the split is 3:3, FP7, 8 and 9 can be from third parties, then FP10 and 11 from Nintendo. Most people have already will bought FP2 when FP10 comes out (like summer 2021?), so they will not care too much in who they are.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Coming up with a pattern for the first six DLC characters feels like explaining what a stapler, Colonel Sanders, a daydream, an airplane, a blowfish, and an elementary school janitor have in common.

Sure, there's probably a somewhat believable way to tie them all together, but it would be a pretty specific pattern that wouldn't narrow down your options going forward.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nah it seems in every thread, all likes have been removed.
There go “likes/reactions given” too, I used that as reference to go back to certain posts

also ignored content isn’t as hidden as it was before, it shows who was quoted that I ignored. I liked it better when they just poofed out of existence

D

Deleted member

Alright I haven't seen anything Smash related since maintenance went down, but I also haven't really seen anything substantial come out on twitter in regards to Nintendo related news including Smash. All I can guess now is an Indie World or a Partner Showcase happening next week if Grubb's listing is to be believed as a hint.

Other than that, Fall Guys had a Jacket skin over the weekend, and now I just want that Hotline Miami Mii Costume more than ever. Hopefully, it'll come someday.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
So with the thread back. What are everyone's thoughts on The M Theory?
I don't watch any of PapaGenos's stuff, and would usually dismiss this stuff as coincidence. However, there may be something to it since the Fighter Pass 2 presentation for the US has game titles removed while they are present in other regions. This may simply be to match the template of the first pass, after they had to remove Persona 5. But you would think that if there was no need to keep the game titles off they would use the same format as say, the UK Fighter Pass 2.

So I wouldn't put a ton of stock into it, but it is interesting and IMO a possible real thing.

One interesting thought I had concerned series with some M rated games. Like Ryu, or even Phoenix Wright (there was an M rated AA, correct?) What happens in that case? For the US is it Ultimate X Ryu instead of Ninja Gaiden?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So with the thread back. What are everyone's thoughts on The M Theory?
I think there is some merit to it, I do believe that they had to change the Fighter Pass image to account for the Persona 5 logo, But I also think that the lack of logo's on the new pass is for consistencies sake. There is also something that should be noted, the Persona 5 logo does appear on the Stage Select Screen but that probably shouldn't effect the theory.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don't watch any of PapaGenos's stuff, and would usually dismiss this stuff as coincidence. However, there may be something to it since the Fighter Pass 2 presentation for the US has game titles removed while they are present in other regions. This may simply be to match the template of the first pass, after they had to remove Persona 5. But you would think that if there was no need to keep the game titles off they would use the same format as say, the UK Fighter Pass 2.

So I wouldn't put a ton of stock into it, but it is interesting and IMO a possible real thing.

One interesting thought I had concerned series with some M rated games. Like Ryu, or even Phoenix Wright (there was an M rated AA, correct?) What happens in that case? For the US is it Ultimate X Ryu instead of Ninja Gaiden?
I feel with those two they could loophole it & use the logo of one of the games that isn’t M rated. Especially with Ace Attorney, I didn’t even know there was a M rated one lol

864462F3-D3EE-465F-A192-60877E33E6BC.jpeg

B6253681-360D-4065-8F4C-43371E2ACE28.jpeg

These logos are pretty different. So I definitely feel they could use that as a loophole even if Ryu’s default design is the reboot version.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
What makes no sense to me about M theory is the focus on the presentations themselves. If Nintendo is trying to avoid an E-M presentation rating, wouldn't that mean an M rated character ISN'T coming? I don't see the logic in removing the logos for presentation reasons so they can...show an M rated logo in a presentation.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
What makes no sense to me about M theory is the focus on the presentations themselves. If Nintendo is trying to avoid an E-M presentation rating, wouldn't that mean an M rated character ISN'T coming? I don't see the logic in removing the logos for presentation reasons so they can...show an M rated logo in a presentation.
It's apparently because of some ESRB restrictions. Which is why they could show the Assassin's Creed logo in PEGI regions but not in the US, for example.

Note that this is what I have been told by others. I don't know enough about the ESRB rules to confirm this myself.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t think it GUARANTEES a M-Rated character but there are A LOT of M-Rated characters speculated right now. Phoenix Wright, 2B, Lara Croft, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, and I’m sure I’m forgetting quite a few.

Point is. Even if this theory does hold water it’s kind of superfluous to go through all this to explain that, “hey we might get an M-Rated character” when we already knew “hey we might get an M-Rated character”.

So, really, if this theory comes true it won’t be a surprise anyways because it was likely we’d get an M Character WELL before this was known.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom