• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think Waluigi could manage to scrounge up enough for a Challenger pack. I think the main issue he has is if Geno is in or not, because i don't think they would Give Mario 2 whole Challenger Packs

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
tbh i realized this also fits Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong. a lot of their core music and Spirits are covered, idk what else to use (maybe it's not so bad in Dixie's case to bring more TF music and Dee to bring PROGRAM, but still)

in contrast at least to my other first party picks:
Elma - only Spirits of X so far are herself, the Skell, Lin, Lao and Tatsu. there's more of the X playable and even NPC cast that you can use for Spirits, and did I mention no X music at all in base game??
Octoling - two Spirits of the Octo Expansion Octoling likeness (not counting the one just named "Octoling" as that's the enemy kind), no other OE Spirits (could use variants of Off the Hook and Cap'n Cuttlefish from the OE, as well as Iso Padre, Sanitized Octarians, C.Q. Cumber and The Phone). Also, GOLDMINE of OE music they could add
Black Shadow - they could make more of the GX cast Spirits, I don't think Kate Alen, The Skull, Super & Mrs. Arrow or any of the AX Racers have Spirits. Plus, more GX tunes including the heckin vocal themes PLEASE I NEED THEM
I don't think that any 1st Party character can come into Smash Ultimate as DLC in their own right.

ARMS was an entirely new 1st Party franchise properly repped in Smash, so it was fine regardless.
But Byleth's inclusion didn't signify "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Fire Emblem" but rather "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Fire Emblem: Three Houses; because it was a fresh new entry into the franchise which could be promoted.

If we're talking characters like Dixie, Bandana Dee, or Waluigi, they would have to come with something which they could promote.
Ex: "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Kirby Star Allies" or "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze"
Waluigi is an even tougher case since he doesn't have his own game, nor is he really the star of any game currently on the Switch which could be promoted.
(Not to mention that he really isn't all that notable of a Mario character outside of spin-offs).

Although, safer bets would probably be characters like Rex since Xenoblade 2 hasn't been properly represented in Smash yet aside from a few music tracks and Spirits, or maybe even a character from Xenoblade DE.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
However, Bandana Dee has no specific content to put in his Challenger Pack. There's no specific songs or stage or stage that can be put in that package. It would all have to be a random assortment of Kirby stuff.
Fortunately, there is an unused area that he's connected to in Castle Dedede, and there's a bunch of non-Sakurai Kirby games that the music could be pulled from. As for spirits, they could probably throw a bunch of King Dedede affiliated enemies on there, as Bandana Waddle Dee is one of his captains.

Or if there's a new Kirby game coming out soon, everything could be taken from that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Min Min was the rep for ARMS as a whole. They could have used any stage.

What does Bandana Dee rep? What is the Challenger Pack about?
I really do think you're overthinking this. Bandana Waddle Dee would probably just have Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Kirby.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What does Bandana Dee re? What is the Challenger Pack about?

Kirby content as a whole?

A Kirby game made after the mid 2000s? Lor Starcutter? The Beanstalk? Dream Palace?

There are legit arguments against Bandanna Waddle Dee but this ain't it chief.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What do people think about the supporting content that accompanies a character, it all has to be their theme song? It has to be a stage where literally their face is plastered everywhere? (which, btw, Waluigi has)

Terry came with music from Metal Slug. Joker's stage references three different Persona games. Some of Banjo's spirits were completely new art.

What, you think the Mario series is out of content? You think Kirby has nothing left? Famously, that series has a bunch of games that have barely been tapped for content. Obviously there's enough stuff to cobble together for Waluigi or Bandana Dee or almost any character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think that any 1st Party character can come into Smash Ultimate as DLC in their own right.

ARMS was an entirely new 1st Party franchise properly repped in Smash, so it was fine regardless.
But Byleth's inclusion didn't signify "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Fire Emblem" but rather "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Fire Emblem: Three Houses; because it was a fresh new entry into the franchise which could be promoted.

If we're talking characters like Dixie, Bandana Dee, or Waluigi, they would have to come with something which they could promote.
Ex: "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Kirby Star Allies" or "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze"
Waluigi is an even tougher case since he doesn't have his own game, nor is he really the star of any game currently on the Switch which could be promoted.
(Not to mention that he really isn't all that notable of a Mario character outside of spin-offs).

Although, safer bets would probably be characters like Rex since Xenoblade 2 hasn't been properly represented in Smash yet aside from a few music tracks and Spirits, or maybe even a character from Xenoblade DE.
if Xenoblade X DE happens Elma would probably be the prime choice since again, no X music or stage, and only a few Spirits

or Octoling since Splatfests have returned and the SAVE OUR SALMONS thing at the start of the year hints bigger plans for Splatoon

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Corrin may die.
Byleth may die.
Even Ike may die.
But...

LYN. WILL. WIN.
44170467_p0_master1200.jpg

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Tin Foil Hat: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Mario Kart 9

If they wanted to make Mario Kart 9 some big event to pull people's attention away from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, this would be it.

Min Min was the rep for ARMS as a whole. They could have used any stage.
I mean, they could have, but Spring Stadium has nothing to do with Min Min and Ramen Bowl was right there. If they really wanted a catch-all stage they could have went with Sky Arena.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
It's kind of hard to determine how they will handle a challenger pack with a series that is already represented and Byleth didn't tell us much because they were from an unrepresented game.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, they could have, but Spring Stadium has nothing to do with Min Min and Ramen Bowl was right there. If they really wanted a catch-all stage they could have went with Sky Arena.
But Sky Arena is associated with Max Brass is it not?
I mean...
1596931300056.png

... look at it.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's kind of hard to determine how they will handle a challenger pack with a series that is already represented and Byleth didn't tell us much because they were from an unrepresented game.
I feel like unrepresented game is something to pay attention to. Or, an already represented game that technically hasn't had new content from it since Brawl or 4.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's kind of hard to determine how they will handle a challenger pack with a series that is already represented and Byleth didn't tell us much because a new game recently came out.
Why would there be any reason to believe it wouldn't be handled simply by adding a new character, a new stage, new music, and new spirits?

No series that actually has a chance of getting another character is anywhere close to being out of useable content.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While things can always change and it's important to hype responsibly, I think if a big name third party like Crash or Master Chief is happening than its going to be in Challenger Pack 7 or 8. The biggest Smash characters are always front-loaded and the next reveal and the next one or two characters were likely our E3 reveals.

That being said, there's also a double-edged nature to all this. The budget in general for FP2 seems lower in general and we only got one really big, notewrothy character last pass, Hero. As such, if our big name character isn't in the next pack or the one after, there's a decent chance we're just not getting a character of that scope. That's not to say we won't get anyone cool or requested, but they're likely not going to be universally recognized characters that cost tens of millions to license.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
While things can always change and it's important to hype responsibly, I think if a big name third party like Crash or Master Chief is happening than its going to be in Challenger Pack 7 or 8. The biggest Smash characters are always front-loaded and the next reveal and the next one or two characters were likely our E3 reveals.

That being said, there's also a double-edged nature to all this. The budget in general for FP2 seems lower in general and we only got one really big, notewrothy character last pass, Hero. As such, if our big name character isn't in the next pack or the one after, there's a decent chance we're just not getting a character of that scope. That's not to say we won't get anyone cool or requested, but they're likely not going to be universally recognized characters that cost tens of millions to license.
One thing to keep in mind is that we're likely having an E3 2021 reveal. I'd say Challenger Pack 9 or 10 also has a decent shot of being a hype bringer. Probably not for 8 or 11 though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes, but it's also where the final battle of everyone's Arcade Mode route takes place so everyone has a connection to it.
I kinda feel like that's associating all Mario characters with Bowser's Castle since they all, in one way or another, end up there.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I really do think you're overthinking this. Bandana Waddle Dee would probably just have Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Kirby.
That would be the first time that has happened. Every Challenger Pack has been used to add "new worlds" into Smash. Which I think just means a new series or game.

Kirby content as a whole?

A Kirby game made after the mid 2000s? Lor Starcutter? The Beanstalk? Dream Palace?

There are legit arguments against Bandanna Waddle Dee but this ain't it chief.
Every challenger Pack has been something specific. It's always been Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × Fire Emblem Three Houses or Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × Fatal Fury. These challenger packs are doing more than just adding a fighter. They are celebrating a specific game or series.
You guys focus too much on the character. Challenger Pack 6 wasn't just the Min Min pack. It was the ARMS pack. It was Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × ARMS

What would it be for Bandana Dee? And don't say Star Allies because he was only a Dream Friend in that game and didn't play an important role.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Why would there be any reason to believe it wouldn't be handled simply by adding a new character, a new stage, new music, and new spirits?

No series that actually has a chance of getting another character is anywhere close to being out of useable content.
I should have clarified but I meant was What specifically would they pull from for a character that doesn't have much new content to take from, Would they do, things related to the character? add things unrelated to the character? We don't really have a basis on what they will or won't do for that scenario yet

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You guys focus too much on the character. Challenger Pack 6 wasn't just the Min Min pack. It was the ARMS pack. It was Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × ARMS
That's literally wrong though. They advertise the packs with the characters. Hence it being called "Challenger Pack 6: Min Min" and not "Challenger Pack 6: ARMS."

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing to keep in mind is that we're likely having an E3 2021 reveal. I'd say Challenger Pack 9 or 10 also has a decent shot of being a hype bringer. Probably not for 8 or 11 though.
Hmm...Do you think they planned two showstoppers for the two E3s that they were going to take part in?

I kinda feel like that's associating all Mario characters with Bowser's Castle since they all, in one way or another, end up there.
Eh, completing their ultimate goal I think has a bit more weight than saving Peach for the millionth time.

What would it be for Bandana Dee? And don't say Star Allies because he was only a Dream Friend in that game and didn't play an important role.
"You focus too much on the character."
"Literally what would this character be able to bring that's specific to them?"

Sounds pretty hypocritical.

I.D.

Smash Lord
But we literally just got a character from a game already represented

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That's literally wrong though. They advertise the packs with the characters. Hence it being called "Challenger Pack 6: Min Min" and not "Challenger Pack 6: ARMS."
Yes. That's what they call it. But the pack as a whole is supposed to be about the series. Not just the character. Otherwise, why would they use Spring Stadium?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This reminds me that the only track we got from Mario Kart Wii is Mushroom Gorge.

I mean, its a neat track, but it gets grating after a while.
Funny story about that one. When I was a kid, Mushroom Gorge was my favorite Mario Kart track ever (and it still might be, IDK). When I saw it on the Smash 4 soundtrack, I was over the moon with joy. I think the lack of anything else from the game might've strengthened my reaction, because it implied that Sakurai liked it as much as I did.

...but yeah, I think we could use a few more MKW songs. At least Maple Treeway, Koopa Cape, Coconut Mall, and Toad Factory

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Byleth's thing was Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Fire Emblem Three Houses right?

likewise, the likes of Octoling could be for example Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion. Or Elma with, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Xenoblade Chronicles X (Definitive Edition)

* (Definitive Edition) if Elma is promoted alongside XCXDE

Koopaul

Smash Champion
"You focus too much on the character."
"Literally what would this character be able to bring that's specific to them?"

Sounds pretty hypocritical.
*Sigh*

I mean you focus too much on the character and only the character. You don't think about what they are repping. Every challenger pack is repping something.

That's the crux of my argument.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
*Sigh*

I mean you focus too much on the character and only the character. You don't think about what they are repping. Every challenger pack is repping something.
And Bandana Waddle Dee would rep the Kirby series. Or Kirby Star Allies. Or the newest game (which is probably the only reason why he'd be picked). There isn't really a dearth of angles to go off of here.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
And Bandana Waddle Dee would rep the Kirby series. Or Kirby Star Allies. Or the newest game (which is probably the only reason why he'd be picked). There isn't really a dearth of angles to go off of here.
Bandana Dee can't rep anything that isn't already repped by Kirby/MetaKnight/Dedede. And he especially doesn't rep Star Allies since he's only a Dream Friend in that. Meaning he wasn't even canonically a part of that game's story.

Dixie can atleast rep DKC3 or Tropical Freeze. One game where she is the star and another game where she makes her comeback.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I should have clarified but I meant was What specifically would they pull from for a character that doesn't have much new content to take from, Would they do things related to the character? add things unrelated to the character? We don't really have a basis on what they will or won't do for that scenario yet
Well, it would be stuff related to that character - but any content from a game that character is in is content related to the character.

Like, for Waluigi, you could choose Mario Kart stuff, Mario Party stuff, Mario Sports stuff... it doesn't all have to be Waluigi himself. Waluigi is related to that stuff, they share the same game. It's not like Joker only came with a bunch of spirits of himself. He even came with music from games he wasn't in.

We don't even have that much content from Mario spin-offs compared to how much there is out there.

But honestly I'm not even sure which characters "don't have much new content to take from". I mean, every series gets more content from title to title (unless you're FF)... and it's not like it's all from new games. F-Zero and Mother have been dead for over half of Smash's existence and they keep getting content. There's plenty from which to draw.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Corrin may die.
Byleth may die.
Even Ike may die.
But...

LYN. WILL. WIN.
View attachment 281747
Funny thing is the FE2 remake director said they wanted to do FE6 next which could partner up with FE7 and Lyn is in that and looks whos the very popular FE character and FE games usually come every 2 years, holy **** what if Lyn has a chance.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Bandana Dee can't rep anything that isn't already repped by Kirby/MetaKnight/Dedede.
Who's to say?
And he especially doesn't rep Star Allies since he's only a Dream Friend in that. Meaning he wasn't even canonically a part of that game's story.
He's the only Dream Friend you don't have to unlock, so he's the first one players will see.
EDIT: And just because he's a Dream Friend doesn't mean he's not important. In fact, I'd say Dream Friends are one of the most important things in Kirby Star Allies.
Dixie can atleast rep DKC3 or Tropical Freeze. One game where she is the star and another game where she makes her comeback.
Using your logic, Dixie Kong can't rep Donkey Kong Country 3 or Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze because Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, & King K. Rool already do.

EDIT: King K. Rool doesn't rep Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but my point still stands.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Bandana Dee can't rep anything that isn't already repped by Kirby/MetaKnight/Dedede. And he especially doesn't rep Star Allies since he's only a Dream Friend in that. Meaning he wasn't even canonically a part of that game's story.

What does MK/Dedede rep that can't be repped by Kirby?

Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hypothetically, Bandana Dee's content would be mostly the same as what any other Kirby rep would bring... But we already have Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight, plus a decent amount of Kirby stuff left unrepresented. The main problem is the fact that a supporting protagonist without a recent game to push isn't exactly DLC material. He's possible, but not as likely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom