• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Which is why I still think they should of told us all the characters right out the ****ing gate
I have that small hope that the next general direct gives a road map for the DLC. But that's never going to happen. At very least they could learn from the other games and do a road map for 6's DLC when it eventually comes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
All these people expecting Crash and Dante for the next fighter. I can now say that for FP7 I expect a lot of disappointed people.

7NATOR

Smash Master
All these people expecting Crash and Dante for the next fighter. I can now say that for FP7 I expect a lot of disappointed people.
If FP7 is disappointing, Especially after Min-Min, who didn't wow the world like Joker did, Then I wouldn't have High hopes for the rest of the pass

SNEKeater

Smash Master
True. Keep in mind, we're not JUST getting a character in these packs. There's also stages, music, Spirits, and Mii costumes if you want to get technical.
Well, at least in Street Fighter's case, there's also 3 new stages coming, plus new battle mechanics and game balance, according to the roadmap they put on the internet.
As for Granblue Versus I'm not really sure because I don't follow that game, but I guess there's something else besides the characters.

Yeah. Everyone knows FP7 will be Dante & Crash, not Dante OR Crash. They will be the best duo fighter in Smash.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If FP7 is disappointing, Especially after Min-Min, who didn't wow the world like Joker did, Then I wouldn't have High hopes for the rest of the pass
That is entirely subjective. Some people weren't "wowed" by Joker so there is no way to judge if a character is "Disappointing" or not

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
As for Granblue Versus I'm not really sure because I don't follow that game, but I guess there's something else besides the characters.
More story chapters, a lot of voiced interactions (which smash lacks completely) and in this specific case it's also getting a new boss fight.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, it has been the same thing for FP6 before the March Mini Direct. And for FP5 before that fateful day in January. And if you wanna be technical, also before the SNK leak, where everyone was convinced that FP4 and FP5 just had to be Ryu Slayer and Doomhayabusa.

7NATOR

Smash Master
That is entirely subjective. Some people weren't "wowed" by Joker so there is no way to judge if a character is "Disappointing" or not
I get that, but i think there is an Objective way of looking at this as well. While Individually people might not be wowed, Collectively i think certain characters are more hype than others

Take the reaction to Byleth for example, While there were some that liked Byleth's inclusion (and may have had more hype for Byleth's Inclusion than the others) overall as a collective the response was very controversial, with alot of hating

if you Compare Joker and Min-Min, Joker got alot of People's eyes on FP1, and alot of excitement. while Min-Min wasn't bad, she was much more time collectivly.

There are characters that Collectivly will be seen as the most hype. Crash, Dante, Master Chief, Sora, etc are these types of characters. On the other end, there are other characters that are seen as not as hype, like a Gen 8 Pokemon for example. that's what i mean

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I remember saying it before, but I don't mind Nintendo's model of revealing fighters at all. If they just revealed all the fighters outright,
A. It would barely feel ceremonious if we already know whis coming and when
B. Specific disappointment over a Fighter people didn't want would never see the end

That said, some placeholder dates WOULD be appreciated.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What I think would be preferable to the current model, and what was in place at times during the first pass was always keeping the fanbase aware of who at least the next character would be. The night of launch Joker was revealed (though I guess PP was there too), then after Hero we knew Banjo was still coming, after Banjo we knew Terry was coming, etc.

It would be more palatable if when one character releases, that's when they reveal the trailer to the next, so there's never any time spent in the dark.

Though to be fair, that probably was their intent for E3, where Min Min and FP7 were both likely set to be revealed.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I remember saying it before, but I don't mind Nintendo's model of revealing fighters at all. If they just revealed all the fighters outright,
B. Specific disappointment over a Fighter people didn't want would never see the end

Id rather they say right away who the hell is in it, to hell with being ceremonious. Arc sys showed several characters all together for BBTAG and that worked out good. People are going to buy the packs anyway

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Most people seem to think Crash and Dante it seems, interesting. Personally I am predicting Dante but not Crash. What makes Crash so likely? Quite curious to see what people think.
maxresdefault.jpg

Crash Bandicoot is one of those last big iconic mainstream mascot characters that just makes sense and seem destined to be in Super Smash Bros, Just like Sonic, Pac Man, and to a lesser extent Banjo-Kazooie.

He checks off a lot of boxes in what many are looking for in a prime candidate for a game like Super Smash Bros.

- Former de facto mascot for Sony's Playstation brand and iconic character.

- 2nd only to Sonic the Hedgehog to rival Mario during the mid-late 90's (Nintendo 64 vs Playstation)

- Very successful franchise and each game constantly sold several million during the Playstation era.

- Successfully revived in recent years with 2017's N.Sane Trilogy and 2019's Nitro Fueled with the former selling well over 10 million not to mention both are on Nintendo Switch.

- Crash Bandicoot 4: "It's About Time" the long awaited sequel to "Warped" (1998) was recently announced for this coming Fall and chances are a Switch port is very likely in the works and coming next year.

- Very popular in the west, But also has solid popularity in Japan thanks to the original Playstation.

- While the roster is diverse, He would fit in perfectly with the Nintendo cast.

- While his moveset isn't the fanciest around and is pretty straight forward ,It's built and would still translate very well into a game like Smash.

- With a game like Super Smash Bros which is labeled as a "Platform Fighter" platforming mascots make the most sense and when you have icons of the genre like Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic the Hedgehog and to a lesser extent Banjo-Kazooie. Crash Bandicoot is the biggest one left out there that has yet to make the roster.

The only thing that he has going against him is that he's a western character owned by Activision which makes it kind of of a toss up, But just like we saw with Banjo-Kazooie and Microsoft is that's it's not impossible and me personally just like with Banjo-Kazooie I feel like Crash Bandicoot is one of those characters that just really needs to happen.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Yeah, it would be great if they took Guilty Gear Strive's approach and told us when the next reveal would be.

I don't entirely understand the notion that they should have revealed everyone at once since basically no other companies do that. It's pretty rare for them to reveal more than one or two characters at a time in the first place.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just finished Bravely Default. I think it’s a really great game, and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a solid JRPG to sink their teeth into.

Whether it will get into Smash...who’s to say? I think there’s a lot of good potential to be tapped into if it’s in the running. The best part? The music!

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This still happens with the current format. People still aren't over Corrin and it's been nearly 5 years with 18 characters since then

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Just finished Bravely Default. I think it’s a really great game, and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a solid JRPG to dunk their teeth into.

Whether it will get into Smash...who’s to say? I think there’s a lot of good potential to be tapped into if it’s in the running. The best part? The music!
What'd you think of the divisive second half?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think it is still impossible to truly predict who will get into Smash (Unless an actual Leak happens not a rumor). Sakurai and Nintendo are enigmas, Hype Responsibly and all that, It is always fun to at least try to predict though.
People were able to predict 3/5 or 4/5 of the FP1 roster, so it's not impossble. I would think with all the characters we've gotten that people would have more of an open mind and consider all the options and such, but what do I Know

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People were able to predict 3/5 or 4/5 of the FP1 roster, so it's not impossble. I would think with all the characters we've gotten that people would have more of an open mind and consider all the options and such, but what do I Know
One guy having a max luck stat and correctly guessing four of the characters is like saying the lottery is easy to predict because someone out there wins.

7NATOR

Smash Master
One guy having a max luck stat and correctly guessing four of the characters is like saying the lottery is easy to predict because someone out there wins.
I guess that's true

but All I'm saying is that i don't think it's impossible though. Especially now because we've talked about loads of characters already. Falcom Characters, Ryza, Axel Stone, Assist Trophies, Professor Layton, Sakura from Sakura Wars, Sol Badguy, and etc. I'm sure now there's at least gonna be one person that's gonna predict every fighter.

and honestly even the Community mainstays like Crash, Dante, Sora, Geno, Master Chief will at least have 1 character that will get in. I'm just saying

Quickfire Round, who is your bet for the next character, go!
I'm going to go on a limb and say Adol Christin. Seems both obscure enough and with enough legacy to fit. My gut is telling me it's a character not everyone will be familiar with. Don't know why, though.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Gen 8 Pokemon or Travis Touchdown. One of the two.
Okay I need to ask? anyone in here played or seen gameplay footage of Travis Strikes back to know what type of abilities he got in that game. To my understanding, I believe Suda actually made the game's controls and Travis's new abilities to appeal to a potential Smash moveset if Travis got in

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
It still floors me that people haven't let it go, especially when the biggest reason people were mad was K. Rool, and he's in now.
He's just a lousy character imo. His moveset's uninteresting, his design is bleugh, and in his own game he's completely unlikable. Getting in over the likes of K. Rool certainly added to his hate, but K. Rool and other great picks getting in doesn't magically make him a good character. And I say this as someone who likes Byleth and was happy to see them get in.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It still floors me that people haven't let it go, especially when the biggest reason people were mad was K. Rool, and he's in now.
At this point, Corrin's reputation will likely always be "the shill pick nobody wanted" and people will contractually obligated to hate him.

EDIT: It also helps that nobody likes him outside of Super Smash Bros. either.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crash Bandicoot is one of those last big iconic mainstream mascot characters that would fit in and just seems destined to be in Super Smash Bros, Just like Sonic, Pac Man, and to a lesser extent Banjo-Kazooie.

He checks off a lot of boxes in what many are looking for in a prime candidate for a game like Super Smash Bros.

- Former de facto mascot for Sony's Playstation brand and iconic character.

- 2nd only to Sonic the Hedgehog to rival Mario during the late 90's (N64 vs Playstation)

- Very successfull franchise and constantly sold several million during the Playstation era.

- Successfully revived in recent years with N.Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled with the former selling well over 10 million not to mention both are on Nintendo Switch.

- Crash Bandicoot 4 "It's About Time" the long awaited sequel to "Warped" (1998) was recently announced for this coming Fall and chances are a Switch port is coming next year.

- Very popular in the west, But also has solid popularity in Japan thanks to the original Playstation.

- While the roster is diverse, He would fit in perfectly with the Nintendo cast.

- While his moveset isn't the fanciest and pretty straight forward ,It's built and would stll translate very well into a game like Smash.

- With a game like Super Smash Bros which is labeled as a "Platform Fighter" platforming mascots make the most sense and when you have icons of the genre like Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic the Hedgehog and to a lesser extent Banjo-Kazooie. Crash Bandicoot is the biggest one left out there that has yet to make the roster.

The only thing that he has going against him is that he's a western character owned by Activision which is kind of a toss up, But as we saw with Banjo-Kazooie and Microsoft is that's it's not impossible and me personally just like with Banjo-Kazooie I feel like Crash Bandicoot is one of those characters that needs to happen.
On top of all of that. Crash seems like a character that Nintendo would choose for his legacy and how big he was in the 90s rather than fan demand, especially a missed opportunity for arguably the biggest crossover in fiction if not gaming with other icons like Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, etc.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I guess that's true

but All I'm saying is that i don't think it's impossible though. Especially now because we've talked about loads of characters already. Falcom Characters, Ryza, Axel Stone, Assist Trophies, Professor Layton, Sakura from Sakura Wars, Sol Badguy, and etc. I'm sure now there's at least gonna be one person that's gonna predict every fighter.

and honestly even the Community mainstays like Crash, Dante, Sora, Geno, Master Chief will at least have 1 character that will get in. I'm just saying
If you cast a net that wide then of course you'll get "predictions" correct.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Quickfire Round, who is your bet for the next character, go!
Reimu Hakurei. I can confirm she's coming because I personally donated an invitation to her shrine... Alongside the souls of whoever gave her any competition.
Don't worry though, they're chilling with Yuyuko in Hakugyokurou at the moment. they're in good hands:4pacman:

But if we're being honest, I'm risking a guess for Isaac as the Banjo of the pass. He's got much of the same situation as Banjo, just owned by Nintendo-Old, got an objectively better but lesser-known sequel shortly after and a divisive sequel much later, still managed to be popular for a long time and well into Ultimate's era. The only difference is that Banjo got in, and Isaac was snowglobed, after which his support kinda petered off.

That being said, I don't think ATs matter any more. Min Min wasn't chosen because the mascot was an AT, she was added because Sakurai went to Yabuki, Yabuki said "Everyone's the protagonist!" and singled out Min Min specifically, and so Sakurai went with Min Min. In addition, Min Min was a Spirit. Spirits were meant to expand the crossover beyond the fighters, like Trophies, but they were both easier to make and served a gameplay purpose. Cut to now, and a Spirit is now a fighter as well. ATs were meant to be a way for characters to take part in the battle while not being playable, and are toggled off on certain stages for various reasons (Doesn't mesh with the mechanics, already a background character, doesn't have a reflection, etc.). If a Spirit can break free, so can an Assist Trophy.

So why Isaac now? CP7 was presumably to be revealed at E3 alongside Min Min, and E3 has historically brought the big guns. In recent memory, we got the big request Ridley, Japanese cultural icon Hero, and another long-standing request in Banjo. If we're announcing the fan-favorite request, it would most likely be at E3-Except, y'know, there is no E3 anymore. A fan-favorite heavy-hitter would be a great way to truly start off the pass while giving Min Min hype beforehand, but that went down the drain with E3 and Min Min had to start things off by herself.

But hey, the Smash fandom is habitually wrong, and I'm most likely among them. But oh well, as long as CP7's cool.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm going to go on a limb and say Adol Christin. Seems both obscure enough and with enough legacy to fit. My gut is telling me it's a character not everyone will be familiar with. Don't know why, though.
SHILLING TIME: A Falcom rep seems to have a great chance but if one gets in i'm leaning more towards Estelle Bright From The Trails Series as it is getting a new game soon and is more popular overseas SHILLING OVER

Ys music is always welcome. and Ys is more popular over in the west so Adol's likeliness is up there

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Reimu Hakurei. I can confirm she's coming because I personally donated an invitation to her shrine... Alongside the souls of whoever gave her any competition.
Don't worry though, they're chilling with Yuyuko in Hakugyokurou at the moment. they're in good hands:4pacman:

But if we're being honest, I'm risking a guess for Isaac as the Banjo of the pass. He's got much of the same situation as Banjo, just owned by Nintendo-Old, got an objectively better but lesser-known sequel shortly after and a divisive sequel much later, still managed to be popular for a long time and well into Ultimate's era. The only difference is that Banjo got in, and Isaac was snowglobed, after which his support kinda petered off.

That being said, I don't think ATs matter any more. Min Min wasn't chosen because the mascot was an AT, she was added because Sakurai went to Yabuki, Yabuki said "Everyone's the protagonist!" and singled out Min Min specifically, and so Sakurai went with Min Min. In addition, Min Min was a Spirit. Spirits were meant to expand the crossover beyond the fighters, like Trophies, but they were both easier to make and served a gameplay purpose. Cut to now, and a Spirit is now a fighter as well. ATs were meant to be a way for characters to take part in the battle while not being playable, and are toggled off on certain stages for various reasons (Doesn't mesh with the mechanics, already a background character, doesn't have a reflection, etc.). If a Spirit can break free, so can an Assist Trophy.

So why Isaac now? CP7 was presumably to be revealed at E3 alongside Min Min, and E3 has historically brought the big guns. In recent memory, we got the big request Ridley, Japanese cultural icon Hero, and another long-standing request in Banjo. If we're announcing the fan-favorite request, it would most likely be at E3-Except, y'know, there is no E3 anymore. A fan-favorite heavy-hitter would be a great way to truly start off the pass while giving Min Min hype beforehand, but that went down the drain with E3 and Min Min had to start things off by herself.

But hey, the Smash fandom is habitually wrong, and I'm most likely among them. But oh well, as long as CP7's cool.
I will say that even if you re wrong and Isaac is not in, I still do think Isaac and Golden Sun fans will be winning because the Rumors of a New Golden Sun game are strong (pointing towards Golden Sun HD)

I will also say i think Among Assists, Isaac is among the most likely to be Promoted, along with Bomberman, Shadow, Waluigi, Shovel Knight, and Skull Kid

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Smash fanbase isn't great at predicting characters without the aid of any kind of leaks honestly.
To be fair, it's not very easy when the scope has been expanded so much and the roster is already packed to the brim with household names. There was a time when the fanbase would at least get a handful of characters right, everyone knew the likes of Inkling, Palutena and Little Mac were in long before they were announced/leaked, and even beyond the stupidly obvious you had a lot of other frontrunners that also felt like solid bets, and of which a fair few would inevitably be in. That's not really the case anymore, for every one of the current frontrunners I can think of a plausible reason why they might not make it in, imo even our safest bets atm are like 50/50 at best.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess that's true

There's a football stadium's worth of grey area between impossible and easy though. No one's saying somebody won't be able to stumble upon a winning ticket, but even if one person does manage to predict most of it again, it's not like that luck will be chalked up to the fanbase's predictive ability at large. It'll simply be one dude who again got lucky.

Also, just talking about a character isn't the same as them being widely predicted. All five of the pass characters were discussed by someone prior to their inclusion, but the only one that was really heavily predicted without the aid of leaks was Banjo. Or, prior to everyone thinking we'd just get third-parties (and thus for only about a month), maybe Byleth. But even then that was contentious among the 3H candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom