• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Surprised Byleth has yet to replace Corrin tbh given the backlash he/she got.
It's mostly because he wasn't announced at the very end of Ultimate's support. People went from hating him to thinking about what other characters we'll get in FP2 whereas Smash 4's DLC was "you're getting Corrin and Bayonetta and that's it, stop asking me for things."
Also being from a good game definitely helps.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
There's a football stadium's worth of grey area between impossible and easy though. No one's saying somebody won't be able to stumble upon a winning ticket, but even if one person does manage to predict most of it again, it's not like that luck will be chalked up to the fanbase's predictive ability at large. It'll simply be one dude who again got lucky.

Also, just talking about a character isn't the same as them being widely predicted. All five of the pass characters were discussed by someone prior to their inclusion, but the only one that was really heavily predicted without the aid of leaks was Banjo. Or, prior to everyone thinking we'd just get third-parties (and thus for only about a month), maybe Byleth. But even then that was contentious among the 3H candidates.
I guess that's true. Even after all the discussions about some of the darkhoreses, i rarely see people predicting Falcom Characters, Professor Layton, Ryza, etc. I would still Alot of Predictions are characters already speculated to be in. Sometimes though a list will have a darkhorse

Personally though I just want to get 1 character right. I've haven't gotten any character right in my time of Speculating. hopefully with the wide net being cast and alot of options on the table, I can at least get 1 character right, and hopefully so can others, especially if the characters they are predicting are characters they want. Right now I'm only Predicting Geno and Shadow the Hedgehog

SHILLING TIME: A Falcom rep seems to have a great chance but if one gets in i'm leaning more towards Estelle Bright From The Trails Series as it is getting a new game soon and is more popular overseas SHILLING OVER

Ys music is always welcome. and Ys is more popular over in the west so Adol's likeliness is up there
I'd want Estelle over Adol, honestly, and I think she'd be a more interesting addition. I don't know if Adol's greater presence on Nintendo would matter, either. I hope you're more right than I am. Because I honestly don't even know what Adol would do to make him stand out (I'm sure there's stuff there, I just don't know what that is). I'm not very familiar with Ys myself, but I know Trails somewhat, so maybe that's bias talking. Ys just came to mind as a long-running series that doesn't get a lot of attention, but could work in Smash if given the chance.

SKX31

Smash Master
At this point, Corrin's reputation will likely always be "the shill pick nobody wanted" and people will contractually obligated to hate him.

EDIT: It also helps that nobody likes him outside of Super Smash Bros. either.
It's partly down to the competitive scene now and what patches do to the character. Corrin had a strong showing in Smash 4 competitively (with the only real sore spot people complained about* being an absurd counter) but Ultimate up until last patch.. yikes.

Corrin's direct buffs and the improvements from the game's engine do not compensate for their nerfs, as both Corrin's potent punish options and neutral game are hampered by both direct nerfs and changes to the game's engine. As a result, Corrin has gone from one of the best swordfighters in Smash 4 to one of the weakest, making him one of the most nerfed characters in the transition to Ultimate. Even still, their representation in competitive play is extremely limited, as almost every top-level Corrin player (such as Ryuga and Zackray) dropped the character in favor of others. Additionally, the very few players who still main the character, like Ke-ya, have failed to place notable enough in major tournaments with the character. Consequently, game updates (most notably 8.0.0) has provided Corrin with significant buffs, improving their most severe weaknesses, such as their recovery, KO power and consistencies, which led to some players to re-evaluate Corrin as a mid tier rather than a low or even bottom tier character. Due to online tournaments currently being more prominent however, Corrin’s true viability remains unknown.
I'm mentioning the competitive scene in particular since it's the most visible long-term measuring stick of a character's legacy within Smash. :roymelee: was also a "shill pick" (and one that languished competitively compared to :marthmelee:) and yet he managed to gain a following. Roy being rather ineffective in his home game (and a not-exactly-popular Lord) didn't matter. No, Roy's and Corrin's cases are not fully comparable due to different circumstances, but still:

If Corrin's following grows (by becoming a more used character or seen as a fun character) maaybe Corrin's reputation could improve somewhat? It's difficult to envision them returning in a future Smash game, but it's one of the very few routes available.

*(Outside of the usual "shill pick nobody wanted".)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd want Estelle over Adol, honestly, and I think she'd be a more interesting addition. I don't know if Adol's greater presence on Nintendo would matter, either. I hope you're more right than I am. Because I honestly don't even know what Adol would do to make him stand out (I'm sure there's stuff there, I just don't know what that is). I'm not very familiar with Ys myself, but I know Trails somewhat, so maybe that's bias talking. Ys just came to mind as a long-running series that doesn't get a lot of attention, but could work in Smash if given the chance.
Remember:
:ultcloud:
Also remember:
:ultjoker:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Quickfire Round, who is your bet for the next character, go!
Hot take: Waluigi. If we were supposed to get FP7 at E3, it makes sense we would get a character that's popular in the fanbase, like Banjo was, and Waluigi is undeniably in the top 3. And unlike other top requests (Geno's relative insignificance, Sora's complicated ownership), Waluigi doesn't have much stopping him beyond his Assist Trophy, which was weakened by Min Min allowing Spirits.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hot take: Waluigi. If we were supposed to get FP7 at E3, it makes sense we would get a character that's popular in the fanbase, like Banjo was, and Waluigi is undeniably in the top 3. And unlike other top requests (Geno's relative insignificance, Sora's complicated ownership), Waluigi doesn't have much stopping him beyond his Assist Trophy, which was weakened by Min Min allowing Spirits.
I would agree with you, but Waluigi doesn't have much to bring beyond himself, and maybe the Waluigi Pinball stage. Beyond that, he's just funny purple man. Heck, the Waluigi Pinball theme itself is already in Smash. At best, he'd be a bonus solo fighter like Piranha Plant, but without that? I doubt it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Waluigi doesn't have much stopping him beyond his Assist Trophy, which was weakened by Min Min allowing Spirits.
I personally think Min Min reinforces it. She wasn't exactly the ARMS character that made the most sense to add.

Hot Take???:

The Term "Shill Pick" is way more dismissive than the term "Meme Pick" ever was.
True, but "meme pick" is way more offensive, as it implies that you don't genuinely want the character.

"Shill pick" on the other hand, is kind of just an angry outburst at worst, and something that people will bank on at best.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hot Take???:

The Term "Shill Pick" is way more dismissive than the term "Meme Pick" ever was.
Though I wonder how people would feel if we ever actually got a character in because of memes. Maybe Sans was, idk, but he's not a full character anyway. I suspect now people would argue his support was largely genuine. Maybe it was, idk. I never paid much attention to it tbh.

I don't think Sans even got in due to demand though, I think he just got in because Nintendo realized he was generally popular, presumably cheap, and they only had one guy they had to negotiate with. Similar to Cuphead. It certainly wasn't because Toby Fox beat Sakurai in Smash, lol.

I guess DHD is kinda meme-y, but barely anyone was actually asking for him.

I mean Sakurai won't even add Waluigi, and his support has been mostly sincere for a long time now.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As a diehard Waluigi supporter, I personally believe his chances are pretty doggone low. I don't think Min Min can be used as evidence for him either when Spirits and ATs are very different, and the circumstances behind Min Min are so unique and specific to her that I don't think we can use her as any basis for what we're getting moving forward.

I've said it once already, but one instance of an upgrade is not indicative of a trend. I think using Min Min as a way to bolster another character's chances are jumping the gun a bit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, a big thing to remember with Corrin is that they're a controversial character even within their own series, from arguably the most controversial game in said series. If a character gets hate from within their own series fanbase, it's generally not a good sign for long term popularity.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think the biggest thing in his way is that Waluigi has little to no music or spirits that he could bring
I disagree here tbh
Mario's a huge franchise and as such it has a ton of potential music and spirits that still aren't in.
There's a fair amount of Mario Kart music they could use like Waluigi Stadium and Wario Colosseum, Electrodrome and even go for other spinoffs like with his Strikers theme just to name a few. The bigger obstacle is whether or not they want Smash content to further expand into those Mario spin-offs.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the biggest thing in his way is that Waluigi has little to no music or spirits that he could bring
tbh i realized this also fits Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong. a lot of their core music and Spirits are covered, idk what else to use (maybe it's not so bad in Dixie's case to bring more TF music and Dee to bring PROGRAM, but still)

in contrast at least to my other first party picks:
Elma - only Spirits of X so far are herself, the Skell, Lin, Lao and Tatsu. there's more of the X playable and even NPC cast that you can use for Spirits, and did I mention no X music at all in base game??
Octoling - two Spirits of the Octo Expansion Octoling likeness (not counting the one just named "Octoling" as that's the enemy kind), no other OE Spirits (could use variants of Off the Hook and Cap'n Cuttlefish from the OE, as well as Iso Padre, Sanitized Octarians, Salmonids, Dedf1sh, C.Q. Cumber and The Phone). Also, GOLDMINE of OE music they could add (maybe also Tidal Rush and some Salmon Run songs?)
Black Shadow - they could make more of the GX cast Spirits, I don't think Kate Alen, The Skull, Super & Mrs. Arrow or any of the AX Racers have Spirits. Plus, more GX tunes including the heckin vocal themes PLEASE I NEED THEM

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I disagree here tbh
Mario's a huge franchise and as such it has a ton of potential music and spirits that still aren't in.
There's a fair amount of Mario Kart music they could use like Waluigi Stadium and Wario Colosseum, Electrodrome and even go for other spinoffs like with his Strikers theme just to name a few. The bigger obstacle is whether or not they want Smash content to further expand into those Mario spin-offs.
What Spirits would be on Waluigi's personal Spirit board?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
On top of all of that. Crash seems like a character that Nintendo would choose for his legacy and how big he was in the 90s rather than fan demand, especially a missed opportunity for arguably the biggest crossover in fiction if not gaming with other icons like Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, etc.
A lot of us are still waiting for this dream matchup that's been nearly 25 years in the making to happen.

Nintendo and Activision... Let's make it happen.

9cbd704332e90bc32404cac778362b4d.jpg

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I think the biggest thing in Waluigi's way is that apparently Nintendo has an internal committee in charge of cockblocking him from appearing in mainline games
That one's specifically for mainline Mario games, I think, which means that whatever you think of Waluigi's chances, the "Nintendo hates Mario side characters" mandate technically shouldn't have any effect on Waluigi getting into a separate series.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've said it once already, but one instance of an upgrade is not indicative of a trend. I think using Min Min as a way to bolster another character's chances are jumping the gun a bit.
No but it does indicate that an upgrade is possible. Not that it matters because Spirits never officially disconfirmed, but I digress.

I disagree here tbh
Here's the biggest problem: the Super Mario and Mario Kart tracklists are separate. If Waluigi comes with a Mario Kart stage, then any non Mario Kart songs would be unable to play there, which would mean that he would have to only come with Mario Kart music. The opposite is also true.

That one's specifically for mainline Mario games, I think, which means that whatever you think of Waluigi's chances, the "Nintendo hates Mario side characters" mandate technically shouldn't have any effect on Waluigi getting into a separate series.
Not even. When's the last time he appeared in a Wario Land or WarioWare game?
EDIT: There's definitely some sort of aversion to using him in any sort of mainline title.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There's plenty of karts they could use like his Gold Mantis from Mario Kart DS and the Waluigi Racer from Double Dash. They could also use Strikers Charged and Standard Bike from the base game much like Min Min's board used base game Arms spirits.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Technically, but when you think about it all playable Mario characters in Smash were created in-house, while characters created by outsiders get relegated to lesser roles. Maybe coincidence, maybe something more.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Corrin, the black sheep of Smash.

Waluigi, the loser of Smash.

Spring Man, the butt monkey of Smash.

Pretty much sums it up.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
tbh i realized this also fits Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong. a lot of their core music and Spirits are covered, idk what else to use (maybe it's not so bad in Dixie's case to bring more TF music and Dee to bring PROGRAM, but still)
Dixie Kong was, atleast, the star of DKC3. They could have a whole Challenger Pack with a stage, music, and spirits from DKC3. They could also do Tropical Freeze since she returned to the series in that game.

However, Bandana Dee has no specific content to put in his Challenger Pack. There's no specific songs or stage or stage that can be put in that package. It would all have to be a random assortment of Kirby stuff.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think I like Corrin more than most, and even I'm pretty sure they're done after this game.

Poor Corrin.
To be fair, there's a lot of characters that are pretty much done after this game. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be the only appearance of Incineroar and Piranha Plant.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
This post was warned for spam. Please help contribute to the discussion instead of one-word responses or reaction pictures/memes.
No but it does indicate that an upgrade is possible. Not that it matters because Spirits never officially disconfirmed, but I digress.

Here's the biggest problem: the Super Mario and Mario Kart tracklists are separate. If Waluigi comes with a Mario Kart stage, then any non Mario Kart songs would be unable to play there, which would mean that he would have to only come with Mario Kart music. The opposite is also true.

Not even. When's the last time he appeared in a Wario Land or WarioWare game?
EDIT: There's definitely some sort of aversion to using him in any sort of mainline title.
N O N E.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
However, Bandana Dee has no specific content to put in his Challenger Pack. There's no specific songs or stage or stage that can be put in that package. It would all have to be a random assortment of Kirby stuff.
I mean.

Star Allies is a thing.

What do you mean there's no stage? There's tons of possibilities.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Dixie Kong was, atleast, the star of DKC3. They could have a whole Challenger Pack with a stage, music, and spirits from DKC3. They could also do Tropical Freeze since she returned to the series in that game.

i just wish they'd do paid dlc music tracks if a certain character couldn't make it. If Dee can't make it i just NEED Program and Star Road please please please

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There's a lot of good Mario Kart music left, it'd be pretty easy to pick about 25 more to be added. If that's not enough, there's still music from Mario Party, Mario Strikers, Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix, and Mario Super Sluggers that's worth of being added (I don't even think the last three have any?)

As for spirits... you got me there. My best idea is to scrounge up whatever miscellaneous Mario characters lack spirits, but that wouldn't be very exiting.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There's a lot of good Mario Kart music left,
This reminds me that the only track we got from Mario Kart Wii is Mushroom Gorge.

I mean, its a neat track, but it gets grating after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom