• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hypothetically, Bandana Dee's content would be mostly the same as what any other Kirby rep would bring... But we already have Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight, plus a decent amount of Kirby stuff left unrepresented. The main problem is the fact that a supporting protagonist without a recent game to push isn't exactly DLC material. He's possible, but not as likely.
what's your take on an antagonist from an already represented game, if said game series gets a new installment or remaster?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Bandana Dee isn't some one-off no-name, he's pretty much written to be Kirby's best friend at this point. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale are really good examples of this.

Honestly, I don't think it matters what Bandana Dee "represents": He's just a character a lot of Kirby fans (myself included) think is really cool, and since he's been established as a main character now, it makes sense to add him in at some point to complete the Return to Dreamland squad that's been the main cast since that game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Funny thing is the FE2 remake director said they wanted to do FE6 next which could partner up with FE7 and Lyn is in that and looks whos the very popular FE character and FE games usually come every 2 years, holy **** what if Lyn has a chance.
While I don't doubt the possibility of a FE6 remake, I doubt Lyn would be the one promoting that game. It'd be like saying XCDE boosts the chances of Rex from 2.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We have to think about it like this. Each fighter was picked to build bridges between Nintendo and 3rd party companies or to promote a Switch game on the market.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
what's your take on an antagonist from an already represented game, if said game series gets a new installment or remaster?
Depends on if there's anything major they can bring and how heavily the game is pushed; King Boo, for example, would be somewhere around the middle.

On the topic of villainous reps, I was thinking Eggman could bust in and represent his Badniks and Eggmobiles and the like, since those aren't represented beyond Metal Sonic and Eggman himself. As a bonus, he could break the Sonic logo apart on the SSBU X (Insert Title Here) card at the end and replace it with the Eggman Empire, since he has a group to his name and as Sonic's arch-nemesis, it would be perfectly in-character to steal the spotlight from his enemy AND the rest of his series.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It’s pretty crazy how much the hype train has died down this year. 2018 & 2019 were insane years for Smash hype, the transition from base game to Fighters Pass 1 was pretty seamless.

By this time last year, we had :ultpiranha: who essentially capped the base game’s content off. Then we already well into FP1 with :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie: & we were about to get :ult_terry:. It was so insane, hype & fun.

Compare that to this year where the year is almost finished & we’ve only gotten :ultbyleth::ultminmin. The Arms speculation was fun for a bit, but it just hasn’t been the same.

Nintendo’s cracked down on leaks so heavily that we don’t really have anything to go off of besides pure speculation & the occasional whisper. It feels like the rest of Fighters Pass 2 is more of a dream than something that’s actually happening to me.

I know it’s been a chaotic year for the entire world, but it’s still sad that they hype isn’t what it was the past two years. I think we’ve all could’ve used the excitement & fun.

I’ve been keeping myself busy by actually playing Smash & a ton of other games (15 beat so far this year, among playing MP games). So it’s not the worst thing ever. But I still love speculating about Smash.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
It’s pretty crazy how much the hype train has died down this year. 2018 & 2019 were insane years for Smash hype, the transition from base game to Fighters Pass 1 was pretty seamless.

By this time last year, we had :ultpiranha: who essentially capped the base game’s content off. Then we already well into FP1 with :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie: & we were about to get :ult_terry:. It was so insane, hype & fun.

Compare that to this year where the year is almost finished & we’ve only gotten :ultbyleth::ultminmin. The Arms speculation was fun for a bit, but it just hasn’t been the same.

Nintendo’s cracked down on leaks so heavily that we don’t really have anything to go off of besides pure speculation & the occasional whisper. It feels like the rest of Fighters Pass 2 is more of a dream than something that’s actually happening to me.

I know it’s been a chaotic year for the entire world, but it’s still sad that they hype isn’t what it was the past two years. I think we’ve all could’ve used the excitement & fun.

I’ve been keeping myself busy by actually playing Smash & a ton of other games (15 beat so far this year, among playing MP games). So it’s not the worst thing ever. But I still love speculating about Smash.
Hopefully next year will be less awful and maybe schedules won't be as wacky so we will still have at least 3 more characters to speculate about. I have faith that the Speculation Station will be more lively come next year.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

It's also partially been because the ****tiness of 2020 was emphasized by the lack of new releases. There's also the fact that Joker was also announced before the base game even released, while FP2 had a gap between Byleth an the ARMS rep, and the ARMS rep had another gap between their announcement and the confirmation that it's Min Min. I believe there was also a bit of a gap between the base game's release and Joker's release, placated only by Piranha Plant being silently dropped in February, followed by another gap between Joker and E3's double whammy of Hero and Banjo. I imagine we just have to wait for the hype train to pick up steam again.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Hopefully next year will be less awful and maybe schedules won't be as wacky so we will still have at least 3 more characters to speculate about. I have faith that the Speculation Station will be more lively come next year.
It's also partially been because the ****tiness of 2020 was emphasized by the lack of new releases. There's also the fact that Joker was also announced before the base game even released, while FP2 had a gap between Byleth an the ARMS rep, and the ARMS rep had another gap between their announcement and the confirmation that it's Min Min. I believe there was also a bit of a gap between the base game's release and Joker's release, placated only by Piranha Plant being silently dropped in February, followed by another gap between Joker and E3's double whammy of Hero and Banjo. I imagine we just have to wait for the hype train to pick up steam again.
Hope you guys are right. Also at this point, we’ll be getting 4 characters next year. I do think the next one will be in 2020, but I doubt we see anyone beyond that.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Moreover, even previous fighters that might have been underwhelming to some were at least a bit mended by big or exciting Switch announcements. Maybe you weren't thrilled by Terry as others, but you had something big in the September Direct that did make you happy. A bit trickier to do that this year.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't really get the worry about only two fighters this year. Banjo released in September, and Terry was still in November just fine. The amiibo are dropping around the September-October range, so going off of that logic CP8 should be releasing around the November-December timeframe.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I don't really get the worry about only two fighters this year. Banjo released in September, and Terry was still in November just fine. The amiibo are dropping around the September-October range, so going off of that logic CP8 should be releasing around the November-December timeframe.
At the very least, I think we're gonna see three fighters revealed this year.

Fighter 7 is likely releasing in September to coincide with the amiibo wave there. As for Fighter 8, they might release sometime November/December, they might not and instead release in January 2021... but regardless, I expect that Fighter 8 will be revealed sometime before 2020 ends, even if they don't release until 2021.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m just basing it off of how the year’s been going so far. 2 releases this year vs 6 last year.

I know there’s only 6 characters left (including Min-Min) so 4 was probably going to be the limit, but the year’s almost over & we still only have 2. *shrugs*

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just remembered that Byleth was announced and released 7 months ago. 7 months! It felt like it has only been like two months.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Using your logic, Dixie Kong can't rep Donkey Kong Country 3 or Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze because Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, & King K. Rool already do.

EDIT: King K. Rool doesn't rep Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but my point still stands.
I mean, Dixie is the starring character of DKC3, her name is literally in the title and she's on the cover of the box. She definitively has the biggest role in that game more than the other 3 DK characters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m just basing it off of how the year’s been going so far. 2 releases this year vs 6 last year.

I know there’s only 6 characters left (including Min-Min) so 4 was probably going to be the limit, but the year’s almost over & we still only have 2. *shrugs*
We've got four months left. There's still time.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
In order to be fully represented, Kirby needs at least one Shimomura character (Dark Matter trilogy) AND one modern era character. One character alone is not enough; even if you add modern content, Shimomura content is still missing from Smash aside of a few PNGs and a couple of songs (one is a direct rip from the original midi, and the other is a remix from Brawl, decades old).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In order to be fully represented, Kirby needs at least one Shimomura character (Dark Matter trilogy) AND one modern era character. One character alone is not enough; even if you add modern content, Shimomura content is still missing from Smash aside of a few PNGs and a couple of songs (one is a direct rip from the original midi, and the other is a remix from Brawl, decades old).
Mmkay then, I'll add, uh...
https://kirby.fandom.com/wiki/Portal:_Characters
All them. I'm adding each and every one of them. There, problem solved. Everyone is happy, you can't go wrong with Kirby.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
You know what bothers me to some extant? With the DLC cycle, speculation has become less about "what fun/exciting/random characters can join Smash Bros.?"to "who is marketable right now?" That isn't to say marketable characters aren't fun, but it just gatekeeps so many other characters which kinda sucks the joy out of speculation.

"Sorry, 'x,' 'y,' and 'z' likely won't happen because they won't be marketing anything, it just isn't practical." You know how ****ing boring that sounds? I wanna talk about all characters, from mainstream to as niche as they get. I get it's looking at the situation realistically, but it's so boring that we have to gatekeep and argue with people about why their favorite character is worthless because there's less of a chance they'll be marketable.

**** that boring ****, I'm going back to talking about

while y'all can be boring and talk logistics.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
How much you wager one of the fighters' Mii Costume wave will be a massacre? Maybe not to November Direct levels, but still a lot of major deconfirmations.
Fighter's Pass 7, Freddy Fazbear, comes with...

Dante (Swordsmen)
Crash (Brawler)
Sora (Swordsman)
Waluigi (Brawler)
Geno (all of them)

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
How much you wager one of the fighters' Mii Costume wave will be a massacre? Maybe not to November Direct levels, but still a lot of major deconfirmations.
I think a disappointed deconfirmation would be the returning of the missing Smash 4 Mii Costumes, especially for Lloyd, Monster Hunter and that super mario rpg character that I just forget his name.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know what bothers me to some extant? With the DLC cycle, speculation has become less about "what fun/exciting/random characters can join Smash Bros.?"to "who is marketable right now?" That isn't to say marketable characters aren't fun, but it just gatekeeps so many other characters which kinda sucks the joy out of speculation.

"Sorry, 'x,' 'y,' and 'z' likely won't happen because they won't be marketing anything, it just isn't practical." You know how ****ing boring that sounds? I wanna talk about all characters, from mainstream to as niche as they get. I get it's looking at the situation realistically, but it's so boring that we have to gatekeep and argue with people about why their favorite character is worthless because there's less of a chance they'll be marketable.

I'm not sure how serious you're being but we've just had a long discussion about Bandana Dee yesterday and it was mostly one side going "he's not fun/exciting/random enough". This fandom can gatekeep characters based on anything.

Plus, it's not like "marketable" picks don't have to deal with the usual "shill pick" pseudo-arguments.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I mean, the point of the speculation thread is to.. speculate. And the characters that have the most chance of getting in realistically are the one that are relevant right now. Yeah we could talk all day about Croc, Gex, Bubsy and many others, but in the end despite being fun there's no way they will be add (and don't bring that Sakurai quote about fun being more important than popularity or something like that). I don't see that as gatekeeping, it's just common sense that popular characters will get in before not popular characters.

TheBeastHimself

I'm not sure how serious you're being but we've just had a long discussion about Bandana Dee yesterday and it was mostly one side going "he's not fun/exciting/random enough". This fandom can gatekeep characters based on anything.

Plus, it's not like "marketable" picks don't have to deal with the usual "shill pick" pseudo-arguments.
I mean, the point of the speculation thread is to.. speculate. And the characters that have the most chance of getting in realistically are the one that are relevant right now. Yeah we could talk all day about Croc, Gex, Bubsy and many others, but in the end despite being fun there's no way they will be add (and don't bring that Sakurai quote about fun being more important than popularity or something like that). I don't see that as gatekeeping, it's just common sense that popular characters will get in before not popular characters.
My b, I should've made it way more clear I was joking. The only thing I was serious about is that I wish there were more discussion around completely random picks as opposed to the most popular, the most logical, the ones that make the most sense. Of course, those characters have the best chance, but it's always fun to see Sakurai pull something out of his ass like Wii Fit Trainer.

I don't know, I'm probably making no sense right now. Admittedly I had a bit too much to drink.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
My b, I should've made it way more clear I was joking. The only thing I was serious about is that I wish there were more discussion around completely random picks as opposed to the most popular, the most logical, the ones that make the most sense. Of course, those characters have the best chance, but it's always fun to see Sakurai pull something out of his ass like Wii Fit Trainer.

I don't know, I'm probably making no sense right now. Admittedly I had a bit too much to drink.
Oh my bad, I took your message too seriously lol. But I get where you coming from, but sometimes there's some more "fun" characters brought up like Donchan I would consider kind of a random pick and he's brough up quite often here.

osby

Smash Obsessed

OK, just wanted to be sure.

I can get behind wanting more discussion around less popular picks. Beats ignoring them just to talk about the same dozen or so characters for the 7428th time.

We almost certainly won't get a character like WFT as paid content with Nintendo at the helm so I get why people don't talk about them seriously.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Oh my bad, I took your message too seriously lol. But I get where you coming from, but sometimes there's some more "fun" characters brought up like Donchan I would consider kind of a random pick and he's brough up quite often here.
You're good! It's my fault for not being clear, I came in guns blazing like YOU GUYS ARE LOSERS FOR NOT TALKING ABOUT GEX :laugh: I would've responded the same way like "what is this idiot saying?"

In other news, on the topic of Mii Costumes, here's what'll happen. Lyn, Black Knight, Hector, Azura, and Seth will be the remaining DLC characters. They will include Mii Costumes such as Crash, Geno, Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, Doom Guy, Master Chief, Shantae, Paper Mario, Sora, Spyro, etc.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's also because relevant and active characters at the moment will, logically, have more discussion around them. Specially if their games are on the Switch or recently released on the Switch, in the case of 3rd parties. That will make them to be DLC in Smash? Obviously not, because the characters are already chosen, but we are basically blind so if we gotta speculate, it's normal to do it with characters that are popular or relevant for some reason at the moment. That's one of the very few 'leads' we have when it comes to speculation and deduction.

For example, Shin Megami Tensei wasn't frequently considered for DLC, and it's not like now everyone agrees that a rep from the series is highly likely, but now the idea of a SMT character has been more entertained and I'm really convinced that almost everyone sees SMT as a more likely contender for Smash in comparison to the perception we had a few weeks ago, before the Partner Showcase.

I mentioned SMT as an example because it's a recent case, but the point still stands with other series or characters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I won't count someone out completely if they don't have a new game coming up, but every fighter so far has had at least something recent that could be pushed. Even the old fan-favorite Banjo has Rare Replay on his side. I'd mainly deducting a lot of points if they don't have anything from around the Switch era (2017-Onwards).

Admittedly, that still leaves us with a lot to work with, and the only one of my personal holy trinity that is severely affected is Klonoa, who honestly hasn't had much of a chance in general. Maybe some day, little guy...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I won't count someone out completely if they don't have a new game coming up, but every fighter so far has had at least something recent that could be pushed. Even the old fan-favorite Banjo has Rare Replay on his side. I'd mainly deducting a lot of points if they don't have anything from around the Switch era (2017-Onwards).

Admittedly, that still leaves us with a lot to work with, and the only one of my personal holy trinity that is severely affected is Klonoa, who honestly hasn't had much of a chance in general. Maybe some day, little guy...
1596943714833.png

when the ****ty party game spinoff that nobody wanted saves Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom