• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think SEGA's conservative nature with Sonic these days is the result of the following:

This game

and this guy

I hate how nobody could let go of a game that came out like 15 years ago to the point where it completely destroyed whatever cool games were actually coming out of Sonic team.

kylexv

Smash Master
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wait, are people still tryin' to say Min Min was a last minute swap like they did with Byleth?

'Cause if so...

View attachment 281280

Bruh
Yeah, Min Min was just a fluke and they HAVE to be making Sonic and Cloud look like Dark Pit with these next five fighters.

...or at least four of them and Geno will only be there because he's not some filthy Nintendo character.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If FP7 is another first party character, then the reactions on the internet are gonna be interesting. Since a lot of people at least here seem to be convince its gonna be a third party character.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I've always felt that Tails or Eggman should come before Shadow tbh. I'd pick Eggman due to being another villain and a 3rd party one to boot. He's also one of the most iconic video game villains alongside Bowser and Sephiroth and would bring more to the table then Tails would especially being another mech user.

The reason I feel Shadow was looked at more us due to how easy he would be implicated as a echo to Sonic despite also working as a semi-clone or his own moveset.
Egg man would be my most wanted 2nd Sonic rep. Obviously as he would be another villain, but also he’s the first big mech character (Bowser Jr is smaller and ROB is kinda different than a mech). I’d imagine he’d be a trap/zoner heavyweight archetype.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
If FP7 is another first party character, then the reactions on the internet are gonna be interesting. Since a lot of people at least here seem to be convince its gonna be a third party character.
Not really. I mean, now that Min Min is here, a lot more people are probably going to be less surprised if we get a first party. I expect a third party, but it’s not like I’ve taken an L because I’m wrong about that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, there's another maintenance date, this time for the 19th. Says it's for certain network services this time, so it might be different? I dunno. Anyways, here's the link:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_US/index.html
This is interesting because it lines up with the 11th-to-22nd timeframe that was suggested by the leakerman-who's-name-I-forgot from a few pages back. Then again, it could be nothing. I'll just add it to my list and move on.
As for the list itself, we've currently got the 5th, the 6th, and everything between the 11th and the 22nd, including the 17th and now the 19th. I'll mark my calendar, but I won't put too much stock in them. Assuming nothing happens on these dates, here's a bigger version of my profile picture in advance for you to use.
Mokou.jpeg

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
There will be a Nintendo Direct sometime between August 4, 2020 and December 31, 2020. You heard it here first.

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
While I find the 3rd parties to be more exciting due to being unexpected, but pleasant, surprises that are still beloved by many, I certainly won't be complaining if a 1st party series that has been dry for quite a while, such as Kirby or Zelda, or an enduring fan-favorite gets in next.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well, there's another maintenance date, this time for the 19th. Says it's for certain network services this time, so it might be different? I dunno. Anyways, here's the link:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_US/index.html
This is interesting because it lines up with the 11th-to-22nd timeframe that was suggested by the leakerman-who's-name-I-forgot from a few pages back. Then again, it could be nothing. I'll just add it to my list and move on.
As for the list itself, we've currently got the 5th, the 6th, and everything between the 11th and the 22nd, including the 17th and now the 19th. I'll mark my calendar, but I won't put too much stock in them. Assuming nothing happens on these dates, here's a bigger version of my profile picture in advance for you to use.
It's like they keep trying to just tease us continuously.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I hate how nobody could let go of a game that came out like 15 years ago to the point where it completely destroyed whatever cool games were actually coming out of Sonic team.
Meanwhile, on every Sonic review video on YouTube ever:

"Hey guys, did you know Sonic the Hedgehog has had a rocky history ever since going 3D???? Remember that time he kissed a human princess? Anyways, here's a 50-page essay on why Sonic Adventure aged poorly and why you are now legally obligated to hate it."

I mean, I love 06 memes, but even I'll admit it's getting a bit out of hand. It honestly makes me really sad games like Adventure are so heavily ridiculed nowadays; they're legit fun games. :c

Anyways, on the topic of Smash and Nintendo Directs: Maintenance could mean something, could mean nothing. Probably nothing.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
While I find the 3rd parties to be more exciting due to being unexpected, but pleasant, surprises that are still beloved by many, I certainly won't be complaining if a 1st party series that has been dry for quite a while, such as Kirby or Zelda, or an enduring fan-favorite gets in next.
I agree. Rex is especially one of my most-wanted characters because I really enjoyed his game (I spent over 200 hours playing it and completed the affinity charts for all non-DLC Blades) and I feel like Xenoblade as a series was shafted in Ultimate, just like how Donkey Kong and Metroid were shafted in 3DS/Wii U. It got no new characters, no new stages, no new items or Assist Trophy reps, and only three additional music tracks, none of which were new remixes. It's especially disappointing because Nintendo has been promoting the IP a lot lately with DE just being released a couple months ago, yet Smash has nothing to show for that marketing as of now.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I agree. Rex is especially one of my most-wanted characters because I really enjoyed his game (I spent over 200 hours playing it and completed the affinity charts for all non-DLC Blades) and I feel like Xenoblade as a series was shafted in Ultimate, just like how Donkey Kong and Metroid were shafted in 3DS/Wii U. It got no new characters, no new stages, no new items or Assist Trophy reps, and only three additional music tracks, none of which were new remixes. It's especially disappointing because Nintendo has been promoting the IP a lot lately with DE just being released a couple months ago, yet Smash has nothing to show for that marketing as of now.
It's crazy that Xenoblade X literally have no content beside some spirits. For being one of the biggest title of the wii u after Smash 4 release I expect Xenoblade X to have at the very least some music. Even Star fox zero got 3 music.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's crazy that Xenoblade X literally have no content beside some spirits. For being one of the biggest title of the wii u after Smash 4 release I expect Xenoblade X to have at the very least some music. Even Star fox zero got 3 music.
Hopefully they’re saving it for Elma’s FP :awesome:

but I think it’s like some kinda copyright thing that the composer requires royalties like with DQ. Elma was part of the expansion pass in XC2 after all and 2 X songs came with her

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is obviously fake but man it would be hilarious if she ended up getting
Wouldn’t it be great to have an fe rep that doesn't use a sword, for once
Uhhhh... swearing in that tweet. May wanna direct link instead of embedding

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Shouldn't be any worse than Min Min/ARMS, which was handled fairly well. Quite a few people were predicting the second pass would be completely third-party. Even more people were expecting the first character of the pass to be something HUGE, like Crash.

Anyway, a first-party shouldn't be a huge surprise anymore. We've gotten two in a row now, so people don't really have a reason to believe a third-party is guaranteed to be next.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm killing time while I wait for something specific to happen, so I figured I'd join you guys for a bit.

That might be true but there was still effort being put in too make each one look and feel different from each other.

Like, compare Mario, Sonic and Pokemon games from the 2000's to those made today.
In the 2000's we had stuff like Ruby and sapphire, Thousand year door, Sonic Rush adventure, Mario Galaxy, Mystery dungeon explorers and tons of others each feeling really creative in their concepts and what they wanted from their series.

And then in the 2010's you have Sonic mania, Pokemon let's go or Paper Mario Sticker star. (Yeah Sonic Mania is good but hear me out for a second) where each of them felt like they've fallen into the same rut of focusing less of creative or diverse settings and characters and more on making callbacks to what's profitable and would make sense to put on a toy line or Tshirt. No more Koops, or Blaze and mostly just G1 Pokemon stuff.
While I think this is a bit of cherry picking, I do agree with you to some extent:
  • The Sonic the Hedgehog series made one mistake, and Sonic Team constantly dropped the ball when trying to rebrand so the series is desperately struggling to keep its image positive with self deprecation and memes. Sonic Mania may be bathing in nostalgia, but it was made with genuine love for the series, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the only game in the modern era of the series that's actually good.
  • The Pokémon series has turned the assembly line up way too fast and nobody's really doing anything about, so now Game Freak is just vomiting games at us that lack soul and creativity beyond the designs of the creatures.
  • The Super Mario series seems to be obsessed with its image to the point where only big budget 3D titles are the only thing that can have new ideas, or even just ideas that aren't from the New Super Mario Bros. series. In the case of Paper Mario, they're not really allowed to do anything interesting with the characters, or even really have a story...in a story driven game...which basically forces Intelligent Systems to take Illumination's approach of just stringing together fun moments. Combine this with the fact that they want so badly to make an adventure game similar to the likes of King's Quest and Tales of Monkey Island, but aren't brave enough to drop the RPG genre entirely because of the series's existing fans and your left with a series of games that are only good if you can ignore the RPG part of the RPG.
Beyond that, the Kirby series does seem to be getting a bit stale (though the devs do seem to be excited about the next title so we'll see how that goes), Animal Crossing never really figured out what it wanted to do with the villagers so now they're just kinda there, and the Yoshi series literally never did anything new with its sequels, but newer series are incredibly new and fresh (Splatoon, ARMS, Code Name S.T.E.A.M., Ring Fit Adventure, etc.) and even older series are still consistently injecting creativity into new titles like the Xenoblade Chronicles, The Legend of Zelda, and Donkey Kong series.

There will be a Nintendo Direct sometime between August 4, 2020 and December 31, 2020. You heard it here first.
No there won't. The previous direct mini has made it pretty clear that they have basically nothing to show us. I'd be willing to bet that the most we'll see is a few smaller titles shadow dropped on Twitter.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is obviously fake but man it would be hilarious if she ended up getting in

https://twitter.com/matttgfx/status/1290756947076157450?s=21

Wouldn’t it be great to have an fe rep that doesn't use a sword, for once
I hate how whoever the Twitter person is didn't even fact check, considering that's not even how Heroes banners are formatted and nobody has found anything for that banner in the data.

Gonna block this Matt dude. GTFO of here using Fire Emblem to fearmonger, random Twitter nobody. Especially with my most wanted.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Elma should have been included as DLC in Smash 4 and Corrin could have been saved as a newcomer for Ultimate.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I hate how whoever the Twitter person is didn't even fact check, considering that's not even how Heroes banners are formatted and nobody has found anything for that banner in the data.

Gonna block this Matt dude. GTFO of here using Fire Emblem to fearmonger, random Twitter nobody. Especially with my most wanted.
This was enough to warrant blocking someone?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This was enough to warrant blocking someone?
I've blocked for far less. Why put up with idiots if you can block them and forget they exist? That's what blocking is for.

Honestly the internet as a whole would be better if people blocked more.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Am I like the only one in here that wants to see edelgard get in?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've blocked for far less. Why put up with idiots if you can block them and forget they exist? That's what blocking is for.

Honestly the internet as a whole would be better if people blocked more.
Maybe I just have thicker skin. The only times I've blocked someone is if they were doing something that was borderline harassment.

There have been times when people have done stuff that I didn't like, but I try not to judge them because of a few posts. Every now and then, they have their moments where we see eye to eye.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Am I like the only one in here that wants to see edelgard get in?
I love Edelgard

but if I have to see “Let Fire Emblem fans be happy <3” posted unironically for a second time I will throw myself into the sea

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom