• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I love Edelgard

...but if I have to see “Let Fire Emblem fans be happy <3” posted unironically on public Internet a second time I will throw myself into the sea
And you would be willing to be shark food, I take it?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe I just have thicker skin. The only times I've blocked someone is if they were doing something that was borderline harassment.

There have been times when people have done stuff that I didn't like, but I try not to judge them because of a few posts. Every now and then, they have their moments where we see eye to eye.
There's no real reason to try to take the high ground here by saying you have "thicker skin" lol. It's a feature that's supposed to be used. Choosing to not use it doesn't mean you have a thicker skin.

People should absolutely tailor their online experiences to block out those they don't want to see instead of engaging in pointless arguments. As far as I'm concerned, nobody is entitled to appear on someone else's screen, and if they believe they are, they should've chosen their words and actions more carefully.

Hell, this approach easily applies to Smashboards too. I just wish that blocking someone here didn't lead to the annoying Show Hidden Content button and leave you without context when someone quotes someone. But that's getting a bit off topic.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I just wish that blocking someone here didn't lead to the annoying Show Hidden Content button and leave you without context when someone quotes someone. But that's getting a bit off topic.
Can’t relate. I haven’t blocked anyone. Guess my skin is just super thick, man. :dkmelee:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While I find the 3rd parties to be more exciting due to being unexpected, but pleasant, surprises that are still beloved by many, I certainly won't be complaining if a 1st party series that has been dry for quite a while, such as Kirby or Zelda, or an enduring fan-favorite gets in next.
I think it depends on what they come with. Byleth and Min Min were decent, but nothing groundbreaking, partially because they were relatively safe picks that would most likely be in sooner or later. Min Min was a bit better because ARMS wasn't properly represented yet and Min Min had a very unique playstyle, but in the end she mostly felt like something that should've been in the game at launch. There's also the fact that Byleth and an ARMS rep weren't very highly requested.
Out of my predictions, Bandana Dee would probably be fairly well-received, Hat Goomba crows aside, but he'd most likely be an extension of Kirby's content. Rex would also be pretty well-received, and I think he has the potential for some pretty decent content, but he's also pretty safe choice and would have kind of a "He'd happen sooner or later" vibe to him. Isaac, I think would be received the best, since he's basically the Banjo of first-parties. He's got a strong following but has the odds stacked against him, so he'd be met with surprise and celebration.
As for the quality of the packs themselves, I can't really say. Banjo, the biggest request of the pass, was kinda meh, while Terry and Joker were the best of the pass despite having barely any support beforehand. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm killing time while I wait for something specific to happen, so I figured I'd join you guys for a bit.

While I think this is a bit of cherry picking, I do agree with you to some extent:
  • The Sonic the Hedgehog series made one mistake, and Sonic Team constantly dropped the ball when trying to rebrand so the series is desperately struggling to keep its image positive with self deprecation and memes. Sonic Mania may be bathing in nostalgia, but it was made with genuine love for the series, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the only game in the modern era of the series that's actually good.
  • The Pokémon series has turned the assembly line up way too fast and nobody's really doing anything about, so now Game Freak is just vomiting games at us that lack soul and creativity beyond the designs of the creatures.
  • The Super Mario series seems to be obsessed with its image to the point where only big budget 3D titles are the only thing that can have new ideas, or even just ideas that aren't from the New Super Mario Bros. series. In the case of Paper Mario, they're not really allowed to do anything interesting with the characters, or even really have a story...in a story driven game...which basically forces Intelligent Systems to take Illumination's approach of just stringing together fun moments. Combine this with the fact that they want so badly to make an adventure game similar to the likes of King's Quest and Tales of Monkey Island, but aren't brave enough to drop the RPG genre entirely because of the series's existing fans and your left with a series of games that are only good if you can ignore the RPG part of the RPG.
Beyond that, the Kirby series does seem to be getting a bit stale (though the devs do seem to be excited about the next title so we'll see how that goes), Animal Crossing never really figured out what it wanted to do with the villagers so now they're just kinda there, and the Yoshi series literally never did anything new with its sequels, but newer series are incredibly new and fresh (Splatoon, ARMS, Code Name S.T.E.A.M., Ring Fit Adventure, etc.) and even older series are still consistently injecting creativity into new titles like the Xenoblade Chronicles, The Legend of Zelda, and Donkey Kong series.

No there won't. The previous direct mini has made it pretty clear that they have basically nothing to show us. I'd be willing to bet that the most we'll see is a few smaller titles shadow dropped on Twitter.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you waiting for? Is someone you follow making an announcement?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Are we due for an announcement of a spirit event or a tournament tonight?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's no real reason to try to take the high ground here by saying you have "thicker skin" lol. It's a feature that's supposed to be used. Choosing to not use it doesn't mean you have a thicker skin.

People should absolutely tailor their online experiences to block out those they don't want to see instead of engaging in pointless arguments. As far as I'm concerned, nobody is entitled to appear on someone else's screen, and if they believe they are, they should've chosen their words and actions more carefully.

Hell, this approach easily applies to Smashboards too. I just wish that blocking someone here didn't lead to the annoying Show Hidden Content button and leave you without context when someone quotes someone. But that's getting a bit off topic.
Think what you want of me, but despite my reputation as the guy who has an alter in his house for worshipping first-parties and SwSh, I've never once blocked a person on Smashboards.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong way to use the "block" feature, but I want diverse opinions and ideas. I want to talk to people who I don't always get along with. That's just my preferred online experience, and honestly, I feel like it's good practice for dealing with people in the real world. In my line of work, ignoring people who irritate me isn't an option.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My reaction would be more like "how the **** did they find enough content for two 3H challenger packs"
There's a lot of new things a Fire Emblem character could bring to the table especially since whoever they pick has to stand out from Byleth. The hardest part would be finding another area to base a stage off of.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you waiting for? Is someone you follow making an announcement?
I was cursed with "I have stuff to do, but I'm expecting a call and the moment that I become unreachable by phone will be the moment I get that call" combined with the curse of "I never actually got the call so now I just wasted all my time".

Out of my predictions, Bandana Dee would probably be fairly well-received, Hat Goomba crows aside, but he'd most likely be an extension of Kirby's content.
And he'd probably come with a stage from a Kirby title that's actually rece-

"Introducing the newest stage: Megaton Punch."

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Please, a TMS Encore spirit event with Itsuki Aoi, Touma Akagi and Kiria Kurono. The fact Tsubasa’s the only one still bugs me

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
There's a lot of new things a Fire Emblem character could bring to the table especially since whoever they pick has to stand out from Byleth. The hardest part would be finding another area to base a stage off of.
Gronder Field would work pretty well for a second stage from 3H, IMO.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly that wouldn't even be that hard. Assuming that, again, the new character is from Three Houses (let's say Edelgard), Gronder Field, the Tailtean Plains, the Enbarr Imperial Palace, and if they want to get super spoilery,
Fhirdiad after Rhea sets it on fire
would all make good stages with wildly different layouts and over all atmospheres.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Aaand that's pretty much the final nail on the coffin for Nintendo's most hilariously mismanaged property ever getting more than a Mii costume
Jesus Christ, Nintendo subsidiaries dropping left and right. They really ought to start managing them better, Zip Lash as a commercial product is absurd.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In b4 its a No More Heroes Spirit Event deconfirming Travis Touchdown.
I'll only accept this if Travis is portrayed by an Incineroar with a Beam Sword. Travis is one of my most wanted (or at least in my top ten), but if he had to have a spirit battle, that seems like the option that makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'll only accept this if Travis is portrayed by an Incineroar with a Beam Sword. Travis is one of my most wanted (or at least in my top ten), but if he had to have a spirit battle, that seems like the option that makes the most sense.
Speaking of which; what are characters whose Spirit you can't see as any other fighter for a puppet fighter? For me, it's :ultwiifittrainerm: as Solaire of Astora.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Jesus Christ, Nintendo subsidiaries dropping left and right. They really ought to start managing them better, Zip Lash as a commercial product is absurd.
AlphaDream and Skip weren't subsidiaries of Nintendo.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
These small developers were already struggling the moment the WiiU started enforcing HD development. Alot of them have to live off the 3DS but now thats not a choice.

I remember that one Game Freak guy hoping the switch would fail lol.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
These small developers were already struggling the moment the WiiU started enforcing HD development. Alot of them have to live off the 3DS but now thats not a choice.

That was Tsunekazu Ishihara, CEO of the Pokemon Company. And yes, he actually thought that the Switch would fail because of mobile phones.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
It's sad how all these weird new IPs Nintendo published during the GCN/GBA era are all long dead now

Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo!, Custom Robo, Advance Wars (okay technically this one dates back way longer but still), etc
man i'd sell my soul for a new starfy game

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, at least Nintendo isn't giving up on ARMS. I know they have a little more invested in it than stuff like Codename STEAM and Ever Oasis, but it's nice to know they aren't dropping it in the trashcan the minute they have doubts about it selling well going forward. Hopefully Astral Chain and Ring Fit have a future too.

It'd be nice if they could make some more new IPs though. They've been a little sluggish on that ever since the Switch launched.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Reminder that Intelligent Systems has to hire a 3rd party company to make HD assets for nuPaper Mario and needed Koei Tecmo to take over development of 3 Houses completely.

Surviving on the edge.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That was Tsunekazu Ishihara, CEO of the Pokemon Company. And yes, he actually thought that the Switch would fail because of mobile phones.
Cellphones being the big boogeyman over at gamefreak which caused them to put less effort into their games never stops being annoying to me.

It's like they think all people do is stick to their phones all day.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

That’s pretty pathetic that those studios couldn’t adapt to something that most of the gaming industry has been doing since 2006. ESPECIALLY Game Freak/TPC.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
That’s pretty pathetic that those studios couldn’t adapt to something that most of the gaming industry has been doing since 2006. ESPECIALLY Game Freak/TPC.
It's not like Game Freak is competent with anything at all anyway, the only reason Kanto got into Gold and Silver was because Iwata fixed their ****ty coding that much they could fit a whole other ****ing region in.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Edelgard making it in would be ****ing hilarious and I'm all for it.
never played fire emblem but Eldegard is the one with the axe right? Amyr is my favorite part of Byleth's kit so if Eldegard got added and her entire kit was Amyr I'd be down for her

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
The thing is, the studios that do adapt end up still struggling regardless

You have these western game companies spend 6 years on a triple AAA game that cost billions of dollars to make and within the dev time frame you hear about horrible work conditions and not being paid enough for their slave work and the whole generation is already 85% done.

Meanwhile back in 6th gen you could have companies **** out a million great games in 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
AlphaDream and Skip weren't subsidiaries of Nintendo.
I knew they weren't owned by Nintendo but I didn't know the term that describes their relationship, but the gist of it is the same. I really wish Nintendo as a company had the decency not to hire outside companies to make doomed games like the M&L remakes post-Switch, and then stand by idly as they go bankrupt.
Cellphones being the big boogeyman over at gamefreak which caused them to put less effort into their games never stops being annoying to me.

It's like they think all people do is stick to their phones all day.
Do you guys not have phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom