• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Uhm... you realize I was on the top 50 most liked users list back in the day?

Might wanna watch who you're talking to
ultrawide-1595307515156-2630.jpg

Luigi The President Luigi The President vs. Smashboards staff (colorized, circa 2020)

Actually though I much prefer this to the regular arguments. It'll pass soon enough and we'll be back to our 4,327th discussion of Pokémon or lamenting the current state of Nintendo so why not just let us chill for a bit?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
And like that, she was sent to the Shadow Realm for displaying too much big **** energy.

I welcome this brand of ****posting in the wake of the past ten pages being arguments back and forth. :secretkpop: But **** it, guess Will is up to make a new topic.

Brawler/Swordfighter Deluxe Costume When?
Honestly, What Character could fit the Role of a Deluxe Brawler Costume? The only character I can think of is Crash Bandicoot, But they might just make that a Regular costume (or Character)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Kinda ironic that the person asking if we're still insane is also the one who has caused the thread to become like this

Droodle

Smash Lord
Every time I see this list, I'm reminded that the main criticism SourceGaming and Jon GameXPlain had for Tales getting into Smash was the because Tales isn't "iconic" enough to be playable; meanwhile they chimed in how they considered characters like Aiai, Travis, and Klonoa are decently likely.
top 10.png
Needless to say they weren't right then and they aren't right now.

Source is a Famitsu poll of the most anticipated games. Picture is from Gematsu.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Kinda ironic that the person asking if we're still insane is also the one who has caused the thread to become like this
This place has been on fire for the past two days.

Why can't we just chill rn?

Things'll be back on track soon enough, so why not just let this discussion run its course and let the users here laugh it up for a bit before we get back to serious speculationtm.

Like, it's been a long two days, so let's all just vibe to this guitar cover of Snowflakes from Persona 4.

kirbyvibe.gif

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Look I got SMTV news and a Nocturne Remaster, I'm goddamn chilling.
demi shades.jpg

Now put the tattooed ******* in smash, will you, Sakurai?

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I have no idea what's happening so here's this image I made based off what AEMehr said.
ooof.jpg

Assassination of Luigi The President. Circa July, 2020.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This place has been on fire for the past two days.

Why can't we just chill rn?
Because red names will smite us with an iron fist if we don't and I, despite all of the odds and wack ass **** I've done prior, have yet to be struck by the mighty hammer of bans.

Yet. :colorful:

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
My bad if this was talked about already, not gonna dig back through to see

So..............yeah. Would have been nice if we didn't just hear the opposite like 2-3 weeks ago

zumaddy

Smash Ace
C'mon guys, let's get back on topic and explore some legitimate leaks and rumours. After all I got a pretty tasty leak from my aunt who works at Namco

queen.png

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

So..............yeah. Would have been nice if we didn't just hear the opposite like 2-3 weeks ago
I posted that about a page or two ago.

**** sucks, but what are we to do about it?

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Imagine having realistic expectations and having civil discussions online about videogames.

Couldn't be me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

People tend to judge companies by statements instead of actions, which is backwards.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
You'd think the consolidation of home console and handheld departments would have helped make these kinds of droughts less frequent for the Switch, but I guess it isn't that simple. Sure there's the whole virus going on, but it feels like even before the height of the pandemic there have been slumps such as in most of 2018. It's a good thing there are still games I have yet to finish.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People tend to judge companies by statements instead of actions, which is backwards.
Especially that one dude in the comments "It was nice knowing Nintendo while they were in business" like what dude you think they're going to go broke?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nobody in the thread talking about Impa, and her being playable now in Cadence of Hyrule , with the naginata to boot? A damn shame, a sinful one I would even state.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nobody in the thread talking about Impa, and her being playable now in Cadence of Hyrule , with the naginata to boot? A damn shame, a sinful one I would even state.
I was aware, I just didn't care.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Come to think of it, it is interesting that they're using the naginata. In Hyrule Warriors, which this Impa's design is pretty clearly based on, that wasn't her default weapon, being an unlockable option instead. Guess they're pushing that as her main weapon now?

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
Especially that one dude in the comments "It was nice knowing Nintendo while they were in business" like what dude you think they're going to go broke?
Flashbacks to so many people saying Nintendo should just go third-party and stop making consoles during Wii U's lifespan. Nintendo is always doomed.

Realistically Impa would make probably a lot of sense for a new Zelda rep... her design just changes so much it's hard to pick one. Also, Sheik exists.

Zelda games just don't really have any consistent characters except the main three, but that's likely on purpose. Impa is one of the notable exceptions.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Actually I think I understand why things are weird for Nintendo right now, and the pandemic definitely doesn't do them any favors.

http://dromble.com/2015/01/21/forme...os-culture-third-party-support-and-much-more/

In many interviews, you've spoken publicly about how difficult it was to pass policies and get things done at Nintendo. For example, in your Kotaku interview you said, I absolutely did try to fight internally to change whatever I could. In your IndieGamerchick interview, you said, Unfortunately, it was hard to get the changes I needed because no one could hear me over the ringing of all the cash registers.

But why was it so difficult to get things done at Nintendo?

Is there a lot of bureaucracy, additional layers of management, and red tape?

Is it because NOA offices are not very autonomous, and you need to always report to Japan (NCL)?

Dan Adelman: Nintendo is not only a Japanese company, it is a Kyoto-based company. For people who aren't familiar, Kyoto-based are to Japanese companies as Japanese companies are to US companies. They're very traditional, and very focused on hierarchy and group decision making. Unfortunately, that creates a culture where everyone is an advisor and no one is a decision maker but almost everyone has veto power.

Even Mr. Iwata is often loathe to make a decision that will alienate one of the executives in Japan, so to get anything done, it requires laying a lot of groundwork: talking to the different groups, securing their buy-in, and using that buy-in to get others on board. At the subsidiary level, this is even more pronounced, since people have to go through this process first at NOA or NOE (or sometimes both) and then all over again with headquarters. All of this is not necessarily a bad thing, though it can be very inefficient and time consuming. The biggest risk is that at any step in that process, if someone flat out says no, the proposal is as good as dead. So in general, bolder ideas don't get through the process unless they originate at the top.

There are two other problems that come to mind. First, at the risk of sounding ageist, because of the hierarchical nature of Japanese companies, it winds up being that the most senior executives at the company cut their teeth during NES and Super NES days and do not really understand modern gaming, so adopting things like online gaming, account systems, friends lists, as well as understanding the rise of PC gaming has been very slow. Ideas often get shut down prematurely just because some people with the power to veto an idea simply don't understand it.

The last problem is that there is very little reason to try and push these ideas. Risk taking is generally not really rewarded. Long-term loyalty is ultimately what gets rewarded, so the easiest path is simply to stay the course. Id love to see Nintendo make a more concerted effort to encourage people at all levels of the company to feel empowered to push through ambitious proposals, and then get rewarded for doing so.
So basically their management is all out of whack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom