• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is it wrong that my skepticism about that release date is the idea of Nintendo putting out such a big title after Christmas?
That's a fair point. Still, COVID has really messed things up. Who knows what they'll do.

One thing I find interesting is that Dec. 31 is mentioned as when it ships, but the pickup date-Which should come instantly-Is still Jan. 6. I think this could mean something.

D

Deleted member

That's a fair point. Still, COVID has really messed things up. Who knows what they'll do.

One thing I find interesting is that Dec. 31 is mentioned as when it ships, but the pickup date-Which should come instantly-Is still Jan. 6. I think this could mean something.
yeah, a placeholder date likely.

SKX31

Smash Master
And maybe even an ACTUAL boss rush?

And, if you REALLY wanna stretch, make one of the stage bosses an actual boss.
Dark Emperor actually could be a really interesting boss if he gave out a version of Monado Arts to the players - like increased damage output but slowed down.

There are some tweaks I wouldn't mind either:

* Making Hazards On / Off a toggle at the stage select screen. Convinience thing mostly, but relevant at the screen. Also a thing a lot of competitive players would love.

* Being able to download Spirit loadouts. It's currently really inconvienient to set up battles with Spirits on because one has to create the loadouts manually and save them. Not the end of the world, but it's probably a main reason why most people don't bother with Spirits in multiplayer matches currently. Downloading the loaouts would save a lot of hassle and add variety to casual matches. People like Tom Fawkes have shown that Spirit loadouts can work excellently in casual multiplayer, so lessening the hassle would encourage more people to try Spirit loadouts.

* Reworking All Star a bit - I get why they designed it like Multi Man (saving crucial dev time and the giant roster size), but it wouldn't hurt having items come in at regular intervals as they do in regular Multi Man, and perhaps divvying the match into "stages" (even if it meant some load times).

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
* Reworking All Star a bit - I get why they designed it like Multi Man (saving crucial dev time and the giant roster size), but it wouldn't hurt having items come in at regular intervals as they do in regular Multi Man, and perhaps divvying the match into "stages" (even if it meant some load times).
If All-Star Mode were to be reworked, I want to be more like the old versions from previous games... with a twist: instead of a single long exhausting gauntlet of characters, they take a page from Street Fighter V's Arcade Mode and have you fight separate sets of characters with a theme based on each Smash game. Something like this...
  • The Original All-Stars :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:
  • Melee All-Stars :ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw:
  • Brawl All-Stars :ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:
  • Smash 4 All-Stars Vol. 1 :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:
  • Smash 4 All-Stars Vol. 2 :ultpacman::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:
  • Ultimate All-Stars :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
TL:DR Joker is a Persona rep, not a MegaTen rep, if that was the case it would probably kill any chances for a SMT character in pass 2.
And I'm saying it did, because Persona reps ARE MegaTen reps. In the same way Yoshi reps are still Mario reps. Regardless of what the character's little victory symbol says.

Not sure there's really much debate to be had about this when the games' own creators don't even tie the series to its original source anymore.
Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Yoshi's Wooly World doesn't say "Super Mario Bros." anywhere in it's title. That doesn't mean Yoshi games aren't Mario spinoffs anymore.

I remeber seeing people call nintendo racist because they didnt add a minority. and by minority, they meant black because apprently, being chinese means you arent a minority
I mean, ARMS is made in Asia. She's technically not a minority there.

As far as developers are concerned, Persona and SMT were never tied together in the first place.
They're both spinoffs of MegaTen. That makes them tied together.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If All-Star Mode were to be reworked, I want to be more like the old versions from previous games... with a twist: instead of a single long exhausting gauntlet of characters, they take a page from Street Fighter V's Arcade Mode and have you fight separate sets of characters with a theme based on each Smash game. Something like this...
  • The Original All-Stars :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:
  • Melee All-Stars :ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw:
  • Brawl All-Stars :ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:
  • Smash 4 All-Stars Vol. 1 :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:
  • Smash 4 All-Stars Vol. 2 :ultpacman::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:
  • Ultimate All-Stars :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:
That's the idea I've been having! Good to see we're on the same wavelength.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Id this another tired Persona/SMT debate? Ladies please, both games are good, ones a main series, ones a spinoff. there, is everyone happy now?
Well no, this is arguing whether all of megaten is represented by Joker/Persona or not, not about the quality of the games.

Personally I don't see it happening purely on the basis that Atlus would probably rather put in another Persona character than anyone from SMT.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well no, this is arguing whether all of megaten is represented by Joker/Persona or not, not about the quality of the games.

Personally I don't see it happening purely on the basis that Atlus would probably rather put in another Persona character than anyone from SMT.
oh, rip me.

personaly, I see joker as a persona character, now if you were to add Demi or Raidou(he counts, right?) or Flynn ect, then Id say Megami

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok but

there’s gotta be a culling tonight for sure, since re-introducing event spirits into the permanent rotation usually means new ones are on their way

Tekken? Goemon? Undertale? Something we don’t expect at all?

place yer bets

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Ok but

there’s gotta be a culling tonight for sure, since re-introducing event spirits into the permanent rotation usually means new ones are on their way

place yer bets
Honestly Shin Megami Tensei has a chance for a spirit event. My bets are on Paper Mario though

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is it wrong that my skepticism about that release date is the idea of Nintendo putting out such a big title after Christmas?
Didn't Bayo 1&2 release around the same timeframe? If it worked for them first time around, I could see them making that their usual spot. Kinda like how Capcom releases most RE games nowadays in that timeframe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I ideally WANT a Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Spirit Event with Spirits of Itsuki Aoi, Touma Iforgothislastname, Eleonora Iforgotherlastnametoo, and Kiria Kurono

always bugged me that Tsubasa was the only one

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm happy as long as MegaTen fans aren't being selfish jerks asking for another rep when they just got one a year ago.
confused samus.png

You... you realize these are completely different fanbases right? Like even a cursory google search will tell you their differences by images alone.

And like, not only that, it feels ridiculous that you're trying to gatekeep what people want and not only that, gatekeeping on the basis of them getting something tangentially related to the thing they want. It's absurdity on the level of calling Waluigi fans selfish because they got Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Ok but

place yer bets
Either Paper Mario: The Origami King or Shin Megami Tensei... or possibly something else that may or may not show up in an upcoming Direct mini.

... watch as we end up getting WWE 2K Battlegrounds Spirits. Here's what the John Cena Spirit is gonna look like:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Either Paper Mario: The Origami King or Shin Megami Tensei... or possibly something else that may or may not show up in an upcoming Direct mini.

... watch as we end up getting WWE 2K Battlegrounds Spirits. Here's what the John Cena Spirit is gonna look like:
.... I see what you did there

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm happy as long as MegaTen fans aren't being selfish jerks asking for another rep when they just got one a year ago.
This is the equivalent of saying "Cloud is our Kingdom Hearts rep so fans should shut up about wanting Sora"

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Saying we can’t/shouldn’t get a character or series because it’s a spin-off of another is like saying we couldn’t get Yoshi or Wario or Donkey Kong because we got Mario.

Does the series bring something new? Does the character do something new?

Then it’s probably valid as a DLC pick.

Is it likely? Well, that’s a different conversation entirely.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And like, not only that, it feels ridiculous that you're trying to gatekeep what people want on the basis and on the basis of them getting something tangentially related to the thing they want.
I guess I am.

If I came here asking for Megaman.EXE a year after Megaman was added, I'd want someone to gatekeep me too, because it'd be pretty selfish of me to be like "Yeah I know I just got a Megaman character, but it wasn't the kind I wanted! Gimmie that one! I'm not repped!"

Saying we can’t/shouldn’t get a character or series because it’s a spin-off of another is like saying we could get Yoshi or Wario or Donkey Kong because we got Mario.
I'm not saying you should never get spinoff characters. Just, ya know, maybe not in the SAME GAME where your franchise already got a rep.

"SMT rep for Smash 6!"? Fine.

"SMT rep for FP2!"? Stop being greedy.

This is the equivalent of saying "Cloud is our Kingdom Hearts rep so fans should shut up about wanting Sora"
KH is not a FF game any more than Smash Bros. is a Metal Gear game.

Crossovers and spinoffs aren't the same thing.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Like, SMT ain't my thing, but I'd hardly call people asking for it "selfish". That's kinda rude IMO.

I wouldn't call anyone's character preference selfish, actually.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess I am.

If I came here asking for Megaman.EXE a year after Megaman was added, I'd want someone to gatekeep me too, because it'd be pretty selfish of me to be like "Yeah I know I just got a Megaman character, but it wasn't the kind I wanted! Gimmie that one! I'm not repped!"

I'm not saying you should never get spinoff characters. Just, ya know, maybe not in the SAME GAME where your franchise already got a rep.

"SMT rep for Smash 6!"? Fine.

"SMT rep for FP2!"? Stop being greedy.
That's it guys, stop the speculation.

Wishing for characters to join Smash is being selfish and greedy unless our self-appointed speculation ruler DarthEnderX the First sees fit. Now shut up and wait for him to announce which character you can want.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I guess we should just tell Geno fans to stop asking for him then, since Geno is from a spin-off Mario game and we already got Piranha Plant and Daisy (though she’s an echo fighter). They’re clearly being greedy.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I guess we should just tell Geno fans to stop asking for him then, since Geno is from a spin-off Mario game and we already got Piranha Plant and Daisy (though she’s an echo fighter). They’re clearly being greedy.
Anyone who wants another JRPG rep is greedy since we got the granddaddy of the genre added to the game. Likewise, you're greedy for wanting more fighting game characters because we have Ryu, from the series that refined the genre. In fact you're selfish for even wanting any more video game characters because fighter number 1 was Mr. Video Game himself!

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
But but BUT, SMT and Persona aren't the same. Smash even says that Joker is a PERSONA rep. Not a MegaTen rep. You say they are so that you can gatekeep which characters people can want.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I can understand points made from both sides of the argument.

I don't think spin-off characters should be treated as equals to the game/franchise they were derived from. Waluigi, Geno, Dixie, and Ashley are all technically part of the Mario universe, but their games are vastly different from each other. On top of that, their skills and abilities are nothing alike. Each of them would have their own unique moveset.

At the same time, I can completely understand why it would feel like double-dipping to some people. None of the characters or franchises in general from the first pass feel remotely similar to one another. Even when you compare the JRPG characters to each other, Persona and Dragon Quest are nothing alike. If we were to get Yooka and Laylee or Iori Yagami, then yeah, that would feel a little samey to me. I'd like to see them branch out a little more and go with something very different from the DLC so far.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Real talk we need to be more into the idea of double-dipping. Beyond the fact that the SMT and Persona fanbases are completely different (and it's a known fact), even if they were the same, this bull**** of "you already got your thing, shut up now" needs to go away.

Like, if Cloud had gotten in last FP, and people were asking for, say, Sephiroth now, that's not selfish, that's wanting to make the game even better. More representation for iconic games isn't a bad thing. And the notion of a fanbase getting too pandered to, well, I can get the unfairness aspect, but the way I see it, we're pretty far from any franchise starting to be perceived as pandered to (only one I can think of is Metroid, because it got two newcomers in base so one for DLC could be seen as overkill).

Even then, is it really that big an offense to take people to task over them? If DQ fans want another character (say, a villain, or one of the iconic party members), is that really so bad? If Banjo fans have switched to asking for Grunty (or Conker, or freaking Joanna Dark, I dunno), or if SNK fans want Kyo or the Metal Slug crew, what's wrong with that? (Pretty ironic given that the person calling SMT fans selfish does indeed want the Metal Slug playable.) If it happens, criticize the game, criticize Nintendo and Sakurai for what you perceive as a bad design decision, that's fair, but why do fans have to answer for their tastes?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Ninja Gaiden might be coming back, but it might be Xbox Exclusive

There was a problem fetching the tweet

(Go to 51:00)

This 4chan post goes into more detail of what these 3 links mean

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/517909316

Pretty Exciting News Potentially.

As for what this means for Smash, I Don't Know. I will say if we got a Microsoft character, I would guess Ryu's Costume will come in that pack. I always felt it was weird no Koei content came with Byleth Pack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom