• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it was Imran Kahn who did, a day before the reveal. He did a Twitter poll and referenced her in a twitter thread, using her name as the first words of the tweets.
I think it was JonComms who did the letter trick. Daniel Ahmad (ZhugeEX) did the poll, I know that much

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You guys loved the ARMS reveal so today we’re happy to announce that....an Assist Trophy is breaking free!

Tune in in September to see who it is!\

EDIT: No, Imrahn did the letter-thing, Zhuge did the poll

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This is all starting to get confusing, lol.

So lemme see if I got things straight: NateDrake and others are saying it's not a Mini, it's a General, but NateDrake doesn't think Smash will show up, but there's the chance it still could because of the new tag being removed?

Tomorrow is gonna be real interesting...
The tag and the maintenance makes me think there's gotta be something, for both a direct and Smash. I can't see a direct happening without Smash.
Anyways, has a general, non-Mini direct ever been shadowdropped before? And on that note, would a Mini just mean less runtime, or would it mean no major announcements?

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly not putting much stock into the Geno rumors, but to be honest I do think Geno is fairly likely after Banjo was added.

I don't really want him personally but after being at the forefront of character requests since at least Brawl, and being mentioned by Sakurai as being a character he wanted to add...

But goodness, Mario RPGs are dead now anyway, we don't need a rep for it right? (Bad joke... cries)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But that last time that Smash information was kept a total secret like this, we got...

...Oh no.

Found the picture on Google. I don't know much about Fire Emblem, so I'm not sure how he'd be viewed.
Ephraim is in the same "popular but feelings are mixed" category that folks like Corrin fall into among the Fire Emblem fandom, but not nearly as polarizing.

Personally I don't really like him at all but he'd definitely make a lot of folks happy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But that last time that Smash information was kept a total secret like this, we got...

...Oh no.

Found the picture on Google. I don't know much about Fire Emblem, so I'm not sure how he'd be viewed.
Ephraim's a mary sue who doesn't have to develop at all, his defining trait is being super strong at battle and his only flaw that he has to live with is being so cool he made the villains jealous. This is not hyperbolic for the record

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sonic could get another rep without problems, the thing is, when it comes to third parties and DLC, I believe that expecting newcomers from already repped franchises is basically not gonna happen. I don't see Sakurai approaching Sega again to get another Sonic character for DLC. Same with Street Fighter and Capcom, or Castlevania and Konami, to name other examples.
3rd party franchises getting another rep would happen, if anything, with the next Smash game and it's base roster.

I'm grateful for Shulk being in Smash now after having played Xenoblade Chronicles on Switch. What a story, what a world building, everything about this game had me addicted. I think this is a beautiful thing with Smash. I'm kind of upset how there's characters who's source game I'm too poor to play, as for example Persona and KoF / Fatale Furry, but it'd be a lie if I didn't say I got interested through Smash for their source games.

This is also what's irritating me so much with the Fire Emblem hate, it's a beautiful franchise that am happy to have discovered through Smash Bros., and that's already since before Brawl, I became an avid Ike supporter for Brawl because of it. And it's beautiful franchise, one of my favourite in fact. It's also so easily accessible with Fire Emblem Heroes now, a free mobile game.... And people here STILL REFUSE to give it a shot.
You have Fatal Fury and King of Fighters games on the Switch, if that interests you. I haven't tried these versions but I think they're just ports without any features. Saying this because in other platforms some of these games have some new features, such as online play.

I'm surprised SNK hasn't hasn't ported KoF XIII or XIV to the Switch. It would be nice if the upcoming KoV XV ends releasing on the Switch as well.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ephraim's a mary sue who doesn't have to develop at all, his defining trait is being super strong at battle and his only flaw that he has to live with is being so cool he made the villains jealous. This is not hyperbolic for the record
I was thinking about trying one of the GBA Fire Emblem games on the Wii U (I've only played Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses, and I was thinking that maybe the perma-death mechanic isn't as bad as I thought it was), but this makes me glad that I didn't get the Sacred Stones, because I already dislike Ephraim based on that description alone.

Then again, the last time that I thought "maybe this game isn't as difficult as its reputation suggests - I should try it out" was with the Ninja Gaiden series, and seeing as I've already posted a lengthy rant about the difficulty of chapter 2 on Normal mode, that didn't go well. (I'm willing to continue it, but they made some rather poor choices when it came to camera control and introducing enemies)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'll accept that. Another month to wait is generous compared to having to wait 3 ****ing months to see who the ARMS character even was.
There’s a greater chance of a dual reveal too

right?

maybe?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was thinking about trying one of the GBA Fire Emblem games on the Wii U (I've only played Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses, and I was thinking that maybe the perma-death mechanic isn't as bad as I thought it was), but this makes me glad that I didn't get the Sacred Stones, because I already dislike Ephraim based on that description alone.

Then again, the last time that I thought "maybe this game isn't as difficult as its reputation suggests - I should try it out" was with the Ninja Gaiden series, and seeing as I've already posted a lengthy rant about the difficulty of chapter 2 on Normal mode, that didn't go well. (I'm willing to continue it, but they made some rather poor choices when it came to camera control and introducing enemies)
If it's any consolation pretty much every other Sacred Stones character is really likeable.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There’s a greater chance of a dual reveal too

right?

maybe?
Given how Nintendo's been with getting news to the fans, I'm thinking that we're going to get another guessing game, if we get anything at all. (and it's going to be something even broader than ARMS, like "guess which Square-Enix character is going to be included" or "one of these Pokemon is going to be added to Smash. Who's that Pokemon? You'll have to wait three more months to find out!")

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Given how Nintendo's been with getting news to the fans, I'm thinking that we're going to get another guessing game, if we get anything at all. (and it's going to be something even broader than ARMS, like "guess which Square-Enix character is going to be included" or "one of these Pokemon is going to be added to Smash. Who's that Pokemon? You'll have to wait three more months to find out!")
At least they’ll give us a picture list so we’ll know what to expect

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I was thinking about trying one of the older Fire Emblem games (I've only played Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses, and I was thinking that maybe the perma-death mechanic isn't as bad as I thought it might be), but this makes me glad that I didn't get the Sacred Stones, because I already dislike Ephraim based on that description alone.
Sacred Stones may as well not have permadeath due to the game being piss easy, though luckily by the time Ephraim joins up, you end up having to pick his route or Eirika's route, so you can ignore him for a large chunk of his screentime.

For real though Ephraim's big issue to overcome is that he sucks as a diplomat and isn't popular amongst his people, to which he says "lol don't care who gives a ****" and at the end of the game Eirika, who's focus throughout the game includes having to become a fighter in the war without a say in the matter, becomes the kingdom's diplomat and beloved so Ephraim can go on about how cool he is and how he doesn't pick fights he can't win and wins everything. Meanwhile Eirika's tends to get more hate because she ****s up and has to deal with the consequences of her actions

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If it's any consolation pretty much every other Sacred Stones character is really likeable.
I have enough concerns with trying out the Blue Lions route in Fire Emblem Three Houses because from what I've seen, Dimitri seems like the exact sort of character that I'd hate, (he reminds me a lot of Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto) and that's a game where I've already played through one of the routes and really enjoyed it.

I'm a bit hesitant to try out a new game if the main character sounds completely unlikeable, especially when my only FE experience is on Casual mode.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I was thinking about trying one of the older Fire Emblem games (I've only played Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses, and I was thinking that maybe the perma-death mechanic isn't as bad as I thought it might be), but this makes me glad that I didn't get the Sacred Stones, because I already dislike Ephraim based on that description alone.
If it helps, you don't have to play as Ephraim; You start out with Erika and can choose to keep her or switch to her brother.
I haven't played the game but I don't think that's a fully accurate description. He's a great fighter, but he's unpopular with his subjects because of it and the only reason they're cheering after he won is because the bad guy is dead, not because he won. He begins to mellow out after that.
And the villain?
That's his friend. He never thought his as inferior and always adored the guy, but the villain had such an inferiority complex, among other issues like his father dying, that he ended up either going insane or getting possessed by a literal demon lord. When Ephraim realizes he's in part responsible for what happens to his friend, he's driven to tears.
Yeah.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know the current stage bosses? Yellow Devil, Metal Face and Dark Lord? Well, I compiled a list of which characters would fight them in Classic Mode if they were upgraded to normal bosses in a rerelease.

Yellow Devil (Mega Man 2 Medley)
:ultchrom:
:ultgnw:
:ultsonic: (team battle w/:ultmegaman:; Live and Learn)
:ultmegaman: (moved from Galleom)
:ultken:

Metal Face (An Obstacle in Our Path)
:ultsheik:
:ultike: (Against the Dark Knight)
:ultshulk:
:ultminmin (moved from Galleom)

Dark Emperor (Dark Lord)
:ultpeach:
:ultdaisy:
:ultpit:
:ultkingdedede: (The World to Win)
:ultvillager:
:ulthero: (moved from Rathalos; Fighting Spirits - DRAGON QUEST 3)

Of course, these bosses would also be fought in World of Light as well.

Yellow Devil: Light Realm, Power Plant
Metal Face: Final Battle (Dark)
Dark Emperor: Dark Realm, Sacred Land

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
At least they’ll give us a picture list so we’ll know what to expect
Yeah, likely, but the ARMS guessing game tore this fandom apart in places, and there wasn't even a ton of passion about ARMS before this. Imagine how bad it would be if they announced that we'd be getting a Capcom character, or a Xenoblade character - people are already pretty divided about those to begin with.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know the current stage bosses? Yellow Devil, Metal Face and Dark Lord? Well, I compiled a list of which characters would fight them in Classic Mode if they were upgraded to normal bosses in a rerelease.

Dark Lord (Dark Lord)

Metal Face: Dark Realm, Mysterious Dimension
Dark Lord: Light Realm, Molten Fortress
Say

would a rerelease potentially include Galeem and Dharkon as Classic bosses too?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, likely, but the ARMS guessing game tore this fandom apart in places, and there wasn't even a ton of passion about ARMS before this. Imagine how bad it would be if they announced that we'd be getting a Capcom character, or a Xenoblade character - people are already pretty divided about those to begin with.
Not really, if you're a fan of one Capcom property, you're typically a fan of other Capcom franchises, Capcom's got a damn good list of franchises to the point MvC fans rarely argue with choices for Capcom fans like Smash fans argue with each other from what I can tell

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And as usual, it'll just become a war for the two or three most popular characters, plus the occasional underdog on the side. Xenoblade would definitely become Rex vs. Elma. Capcom would probably have most people backing Dante, though. We'd either celebrate Dante or suffer extreme disappointment when it's not him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And as usual, it'll just become a war for the two or three most popular characters, plus the occasional underdog on the side. Xenoblade would definitely become Rex vs. Elma. Capcom would probably have most people backing Dante, though. We'd either celebrate Dante or suffer extreme disappointment when it's not him.
Imagine if the Rex vs Elma wars do happen

but instead we get Fiora or Lora

and I say this as a HUGE Elma supporter

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Dark Emperor (Dark Lord)

Dark Emperor: Light Realm, Molten Fortress
With Dark Emperor and Metal Face in World of Light, would it not be best to replace the spirit locations with the bosses? Dark Emperor already has a spirit in the Dark Realm, near the place you get Ganondorf.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
With Dark Emperor and Metal Face in World of Light, would it not be best to replace the spirit locations with the bosses? Dark Emperor already has a spirit in the Dark Realm, near the place you get Ganondorf.
Eh, sure!

Dark Emperor (Dark Lord)

Metal Face: Final Battle (Dark)
Dark Emperor: Dark Realm, Sacred Land

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Dark Emperor (Dark Lord)

Dark Emperor: Light Realm, Molten Fortress
I'm kinda confused about how this has anything to do with newcomers.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Imagine if the Rex vs Elma wars do happen

but instead we get Fiora or Lora

and I say this as a HUGE Elma supporter
I still support Nia as the curveball Xeno rep, if only because Sakurai has a cat. Just because he's a cat person, we get the cat girl instead of the highly-requested main character. I want to see how badly everything blows up after that.
I especially wonder what will happen if her Final Smash adapts that one time she literally gave Malos cancer.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not counting Smash out just yet, but if NateDrake is indeed correct, then my concerns about Min Min being the only planned E3 reveal were valid. We still have a year and a half before the deadline.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I figure that, at the very least, people would be divided between Dante, Phoenix Wright, and a Monster Hunter. (and that's not even getting into another Mega Man or Street Fighter character, Morrigan, Amaterasu or Viewtiful Joe...)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still support Nia as the curveball Xeno rep, if only because Sakurai has a cat. Just because he's a cat person, we get the cat girl instead of the highly-requested main character. I want to see how badly everything blows up after that.
I especially wonder what will happen if her Final Smash adapts that one time she literally gave Malos cancer.
yeah I don’t think that’ll happen otherwise Ultimate will have to be upped to a T rating for body horror

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not counting Smash out just yet, but if NateDrake is indeed correct, then my concerns about Min Min being the only planned E3 reveal were valid. We still have a year and a half before the deadline.
I can't really see Min Min being all we would've gotten for E3. ARMS just isn't E3 material, y'know?

Then again, E3's cancelled. Nintendo's changed their plans accordingly, and the E3 reveal could've been pushed back to closer to release.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Eh, if we do get another guessing game, the MvC fan in me would be fine with a Capcom guessing game. Sega could be fun too. Or maybe a "company not in Smash yet" game. God help us if it's a Square Enix or Pokémon one, though.

And if it was that LoL guessing game SKX31 SKX31 and me have been memeing about... not even God could help us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom