• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
You put everything's chances as being incredibly low anyway.
Probably because the chance of any character being added is extremely small. There are thousands of video game characters that fit the traditional Smash criteria, and only 5 of them will be chosen.

Faso115

Smash Lord
This has probably been discussed at length since the Min Min reveal, but just in case it hasn't...

The very specific mention of spirit events changing when DLC costumes/characters are purchased seems suspicious. The fact that he even states that we should expect more of these kind of things to happening in the future all but confirms that we will be receiving more "upgraded" spirits.

I'm calling it: Geno is in.
I wouldn't really recommend putting all your cards in Geno. Being a spirit was the least of his problems.

Absolute statements lead to absolute dissapointment

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wouldn't really recommend putting all your cards in Geno. Being a spirit was the least of his problems.

Absolute statements lead to absolute dissapointment

I figure he's pretty likely. Characters like Banjo and Kazooie, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Chrom, Inkling, and Isabelle (among others) got in due to sheer fan demand and support - in spite of some people claiming that Geno's support is just a meme (which it isn't; detractors said the same thing about Ridley's support in the lead-up to Ultimate), the main obstacles that people pointed to were spirits not being promoted to playable in the first Fighters Pass, and a lack of relevance. By now, it should be pretty clear that neither of those points are obstacles to a character getting in.

Geno's in a weird place as far as characters in general are concerned, being from a first party Nintendo franchise but being owned by a third party company. (which doesn't seem common - it's not like Capcom owns Vaati from Zelda: Four Swords or Veran from Zelda: Oracle of Ages, as far as I know) Obviously, he wasn't going to make it in before either of Square-Enix's flagship franchises, but with both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the game, and his fifteen-plus years of dedicated Smash support, it definitely seems like his chances are better than they've ever been.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I figure he's pretty likely. Characters like Banjo and Kazooie, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Chrom, Inkling, and Isabelle (among others) got in due to sheer fan demand and support - in spite of some people claiming that Geno's support is just a meme (which it isn't; detractors said the same thing about Ridley's support in the lead-up to Ultimate), the main obstacles that people pointed to were spirits not being promoted to playable in the first Fighters Pass, and a lack of relevance. By now, it should be pretty clear that neither of those points are obstacles to a character getting in.

Geno's in a weird place as far as characters in general are concerned, being from a first party Nintendo franchise but being owned by a third party company. (which doesn't seem common - it's not like Capcom owns Vaati from Zelda: Four Swords or Veran from Zelda: Oracle of Ages, as far as I know) Obviously, he wasn't going to make it in before either of Square-Enix's flagship franchises, but with both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the game, and his fifteen-plus years of dedicated Smash support, it definitely seems like his chances are better than they've ever been.
Nope. Square Enix might not think like that, and they might choose to represent one of their bigger franchises.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This has probably been discussed at length since the Min Min reveal, but just in case it hasn't...

The very specific mention of spirit events changing when DLC costumes/characters are purchased seems suspicious. The fact that he even states that we should expect more of these kind of things to happening in the future all but confirms that we will be receiving more "upgraded" spirits.

You do realize that they only mentioned it for Mii costumes and not Min Min, the actual character, right?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nope. Square Enix might not think like that, and they might choose to represent one of their bigger franchises.
Smash is a Nintendo game. Square-Enix doesn't make the character choices.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
As a big Pokemon fan, I would be down for Gen 8 Pokemon rep for DLC.

I know "Cinderace" is kind of viewed as the frontrunner, But personally I hope it's "Inteleon" because has the most badass design of the 3 final evolution starters being based of a secret spy inspired by "James Bond".

He looks like a fast and stealthy fighter though more on the "Long range" side that is reminiscent of and feels like this generation's "Greninja" and "Sceptile" which were also my favorites from their respective generations, He's packing "Heat" in the form of dual wielding high pressure water pistols, Skilled with sniping, Apparently has knife hidden under his tail and he can glide too, Just feels like he has more tools to work with in Smash than "Cinderace" and "Rillaboom".

I'm hoping the "Pokemon Company" has a plan in the future of Ash getting a Sobble later on in the anime and really start taking it from there, Possibly stealing the spotlight and be pushed as this generation's "Greninja".

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't even know why Geno is requested so much. Why do so many people care about this random Mario spinoff character from an almost 30 year old SNES game?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Also, the only character I consider a lock is Dante. Suddenly gained a massive surge of popularity for Itsuno to address it? Ok. Itsuno saying we should be asking for DMC on Switch before Dante in Smash only for DMC on Switch to be announced shortly afterwards? Probably using Smash popularity to get people to buy the game, that's surprisingly common.

DMC3 BEING A ****ING DEFINITIVE EDITION THAT'S ONLY AVAILABLE ON SWITCH? Yeah that HAS to mean something to me
While I don't think he's a lock by any means, it is certainly strange to me. DMC3 Definitive Edition only on Switch felt a bit random. Granted, maybe they don't bother to update the DMC Trilogy Collection of PS4, Xbox One and PC versions, but it wouldn't need a lot of work, so it's still strange. It's probably some type of exclusive agreement with Nintendo. And it's strange because DMC3 is an old game, despite being a classic of action games.

I feel Dante has decent chances to make it in mostly for this and for what Itsuno said back then.

Fans: Can we get Chun-Li in Smash?
Sakurai: We already have Chun-Li in Smash.
Chun-Li in Smash: :ultminmin
Seriously, a Chun-Li assist trophy would be so cool. Also a Mii Costume for her. She deserves it.

But said popularity surge happened around Byleth's reveal in January, but the pass was finalized around the October/November range. Even if Dante did suddenly become extremely popular, the hype train arrived in too late to be considered.
No, Dante was already popular before. Before Byleth his popularity in the context of Smash exploded with all what happened, that's true, even if people didn't really had a reason to jump to conclusions. I was one of the people here warning others that the dates of FP5's presentation and the DMC thing had nothing to do with each other. The angry people after Byleth was announced just set themselves for a disappointment.

In any case, if Dante became extremely popular or not before the pass was finalized isn't really important at this point. I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo had in mind another Capcom character for the second pass and then switched to Dante after seeing he's popular among Smash fans. If we get Dante it's because Nintendo asked for him, just like with any other character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It doesn’t matter what they want if Nintendo wants Geno. If they want Geno, and they don’t get Geno, then they probably won’t get anything else from Square. And there’s nothing saying Square would deny them to make Geno playable.

Now, of course, Nintendo may go for a different franchise, but that’s the thing, they “might” go for something different, or they might go for Geno, or they might go for nothing from Square, and I’m pretty sure everyone knows this already.

I don't even know why Geno is requested so much. Why do so many people care about this random Mario spinoff character from an almost 30 year old SNES game?
Because he’s cool and he resonated with people. Why do you like Amy?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Or he just wanted to highlight a feature they had implemented since the last Sakurai Presents for the community that may not know. The Cuphead situation was the first of its kind and many people may not have been aware of the feature. He spends a lot of time on every feature he puts in the game after all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm still rooting for Zacian to be the Gen 8 rep, and I feel like it's got a decent shot. They're already hinting at it having some kind of relationship with Ash.

It'd also be nice to have another Legendary. Stinks knowing Mewtwo is all we have after 10 Pokemon.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
And a playable Chun-Li would be the coolest of all.
I'm pretty sure Min Min is Sakurai's version of Chun-Li just like Incineroar is his version of Zangeif. They're obviously still completely unique, but I think he pretty clearly wanted them both to get some ideas from those characters haha.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's because Geno looks cool and would have a pretty cool moveset.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We've already seen similar situations where that wound up not being the case. If someone was looking at Microsoft with that mindset, then it would be assumed that Banjo and Kazooie would never be added because they're quite obscure compared to juggernaut franchises like Halo or Minecraft, and Microsoft hasn't used them in well over a decade aside from the occasional re-release. Regardless, as of now, the only Microsoft content in Smash Bros. is from Banjo-Kazooie, and that's largely due to consistent fan demand.

When it comes to Square-Enix, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are the big stand-outs that they actually own. Chrono Trigger and Tomb Raider are well-known games, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of people clamouring for Crono or Lara to make it into Smash specifically. I'd love to see 2B in Smash, but if Mythra couldn't even make it in as a static image without a drastic redesign, then that seems unlikely. Then there are series like Deus Ex and Hitman, which don't seem like they're going to happen. Kingdom Hearts is owned by Disney, which seems like it would complicate things.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Taking from the Neku thread, but this was announced:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
You don’t just make an anime for a game without announcing bigger plans for said game. A TWEWY 2 is SO gonna happen now

and perhaps, with it... they’d do anything and everything to promote the IP like this

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You don’t just make an anime for a game without announcing bigger plans for said game. A TWEWY 2 is SO gonna happen now

and perhaps, with it... they’d do anything and everything to promote the IP like this
"If Neku got to be in Smash I don't see why Goku can't" people like 5 years from now only knowing TWEWY from this

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It could be taken as a bad sign too.

If Geno gets a Mii Costume, they could upgrade his Spirit battle.
That was my first thought too, particularly since I believe he brought it up within the context of Cuphead, if I remember correctly.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

YES YES YES YES YES YES SORRY FOR THE SPAM BUT THAT MAKES MY DAY IM SO ****ING HAPPY YEEEESSSSSS!

Faso115

Smash Lord
"If Neku got to be in Smash I don't see why Goku can't" people like 5 years from now only knowing TWEWY from this
Broke: "If Neku got to be in Smash I don't see why Goku can't"

Woke: " If Pokemon gets to be in Smash i don't see why Goku can't"

Droodle

Smash Lord
YES YES YES YES YES YES SORRY FOR THE SPAM BUT THAT MAKES MY DAY IM SO ****ING HAPPY YEEEESSSSSS!
Hey, a sequel is practically confirmed at this point too... But YES YES YES YES YES YES YES...
hqdefault.jpg

And hey, while this may be getting too optimistic, but if Square is marketing hard for TWEWY via an anime and Nintendo is helping publish the sequel in the West (like they did with FInal Remix), Neku's chances do increase a lot in terms of Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why do you care about the characters you care about?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Geno's far from a lock (as is every character, really), but he's in the best situation he's ever been in. He's got a lot of obstacles in his path, but being massive, longt-time requested and a third party from company Nintendo is comfortable with are two of the best things a character can have going for them in Smash Ultimate's DLC.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Vegeta as well. So nice to get such a healthy amount of Dragon Ball representation.

And I almost forgot about Trunks, Android 17, Gohan, and Pan too.

Sighs...

Anyone remember when Smash was about Nintendo and not these DBZ guys. I was super disappointed that they put Begeta in the Min Min trailer, Sakurai bias at it again I guess.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I've been down on Geno's chances quite a bit in the past, but I don't think it's impossible. And hey, if he makes it, I'll be super happy for those who want it, and I will never say no to more Mario content, as it's my favorite video game franchise lol.

However, I will say that this is the make or break moment for him. SMRPG is only getting older, and he has still yet to have an appearance in anything significant since then, so that is a reason why I feel his chances may be being exaggerated by some IMHO. I think what really makes me hesitant is that outside of Smash speculation, how many people are really that aware of him? Is he truly comparable to the likes of Banjo and K. Rool, like I keep seeing people say? With all due respect, I'm not so sure myself. TBH I think it's pretty telling that we got a chance at having him referenced again via the M&L remake on 3DS and yet the cameo was skipped over. I'm not gonna go so far as to say he's "irrelevant" as clearly people remember him, but I still have doubts about how wide his appeal truly is outside of the Geno support bubble.

And yes, I know people will counter this with K. Rool not having an appearance in forever, but the difference here is that DK Country was an incredibly popular series of games that featured K. Rool as DK's Bowser; this compared to Geno's one-time side role as a party member in a 20+ year old Mario RPG that while admittedly successful at the time, feels like it isn't in quite the same favor as something like Banjo and K. Rool, who both left behind a legacy.

Just my two cents on the matter. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I remember saying the same thing back in 2007! These days I have got nothing but respect for Geno fans for hanging on for so long.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Geno relies heavily upon one thing getting him in the game: fan demand.

He's irrelevant to the gaming industry overall, is a one-time party member from a generations old Mario game (which has been re-released a few times over), and does not serve as an interest when pairing it with some sort of marketing initiative.

I'm not even trying to be negative, as I myself have always thought the character was cool. Those are simply the realities the character faces.

He has gameplay potential, but so does basically every candidate.

Geno almost entirely relies on Nintendo deciding they want him in Smash Ultimate as a playable character, and not just bringing back or updating the Mii Costume. It's the most feasible path that gets him in the game while 2B for example, has a different path considering she's a modern gaming icon, which is in turn something that Geno doesn't have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom