• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They really don't.

It's not uncommon for Smash movesets to take cues from multiple incarnations of one character. Lara Croft using weapons or skills from classic and modern games with both designs appearing as alts would have no downsides aside from irritating purists which isn't a downside
I've got no idea what a Smash Moveset that's both methodical and frantic at the same time would look like but I'd like to see it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've got no idea what a Smash Moveset that's both methodical and frantic at the same time would look like but I'd like to see it.
Just because you said so doesn't mean that her moveset has to be both. Snake's moveset doesn't have any stealth element like MGS games, Joker's moveset trades Persona skills for speed and raw power and so on. Fan predictions regarding playstyles rarely turn out to be 100% correct aside from platforming and fighting game characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Hero has a moveset that's both methodical and frantic. Methodical in that you need to be aware of and use the right spell for the right situation while monitoring your MP. Frantic in that it's ****ing hard to keep track of different displays on different parts of the screen that constantly change while fighting, and it's all random as **** anyway.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They were pushing other Pokemon too though. To be honest, Sakurai could've chose Mimikyu or Lycanroc instead, and that probably wouldn't change the conversation much. People would still claim that Sakurai just added the corporate shill pick that was forced upon him.
Breaking news! More than 1 Pokemon gets marketed at once, in other news, movies promote themselves by naming more than just the main actor, and games with more than 1 important character show more than the main character in trailers, more at 11!

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
1593083973508.jpeg

So. I’ve been keeping up with Ninjala for awhile, and I know it’s been in development a long time, and also that it recently came out for the Switch.

I love the character designs.

There is totally moveset potential.

I kinda want them in Smash.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm sort of sick of the anthro Pokemon type of fighter. When are we going to get a cute small critter again? We haven't had one since Squirtle.
Me too, feels boring sometimes.

I would love to see an Ultra Beast like Guzzlord or a Fossil Pokemon such as Tyrantrum. (A T-Rex would be awesome!)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 276225

So. I’ve been keeping up with Ninjala for awhile, and I know it’s been in development a long time, and also that it recently came out for the Switch.

What even is Ninjala about?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
View attachment 276225

I don't know. It looks like something you'd see on Disney XD crossed with Nickelodeon's cast lineup. I don't know if what I'm saying is true or not but it sounds like it fits the bill.

Also I don't like that kid on the far right. I want him to go away.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know. It looks like something you'd see on Disney XD crossed with Nickelodeon's cast lineup. I don't know if what I'm saying is true or not but it sounds like it fits the bill.

Also I don't like that kid on the far right. I want him to go away.
I gotta agree. Something about the faces looks off.

A shame too, cause they got this cool punk vibe going on.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It seems people finally decided to come around and accept that Pokemon is likely as a DLC pick. There is no other franchise besides Pokemon that gets special treatment and gets a reserved spot years in prior before the games are officially revealed, it's ludicrous and Pokemon will never stop getting special treatment for Smash because it is the highest grossing media franchise of all time and will continue being so. Sword and Shield sold like hotcakes and Nintendo will most definitely want to strike while the hammer is hot and capitalize on the game's success.

If it was any other franchise I would have my doubts, but this is Pokemon, it getting special treatment is common knowledge and has been corroborated by the director of Smash himself. My surprise for a Gen 8 DLC fighter would be about as big as someone telling me that water is wet. I just hope they don't do another god damn guessing game for Pokemon because I will lose my ****ing mind if they do so.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just hope they don't do another god damn guessing game for Pokemon because I will lose my ****ing mind if they do so.
Honestly I think it only worked for Min Min as it got people to think past the "obvious" choice of Spring Man.

Even then it was freaking annoying.

Staarih

Smash Master
View attachment 276225

Yeah, I’ve been keeping an eye on this, not that I’m personally interested in it, but it’s clearly a big push from GungHo. Looks like they’ve invested a lot in it, with a story mode, anime adaptations and other tie-ins, and other additional content seems to be added later as well. It could become their next big thing, so I’m interested to see how it’ll do, it being free-to-play and Switch exclusive and all.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Oh you know what I mean. Dixie is not the main face of the DK series. Which is no problem for a base game character but I'm not so sure for DLC. I think DLC is either going to be for Nintendo Switch games on the market or 3rd party characters. I could be wrong but that's what I have a feeling it will be. I suppose if they did a whole Tropical Freeze package, then maybe Dixie is on the table. Bandana Dee is out of luck. In the Kirby Star Allies he doesn't even play a significant role in the plot. But maybe there's a new Kirby game around the corner and Dee will play a major role in it?
I don't think Dixie is that likely, but this seems like an odd point when two days ago we saw a series' conventional face get passed up for a fan/creator favourite.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just because you said so doesn't mean that her moveset has to be both. Snake's moveset doesn't have any stealth element like MGS games, Joker's moveset trades Persona skills for speed and raw power and so on. Fan predictions regarding playstyles rarely turn out to be 100% correct aside from platforming and fighting game characters.
I'd argue the C4 and grenades get the feeling of using all the tools you've got to turn the situation to your advantage for Snake but I'll have to take your word on Joker. There does seem to be a distinct lack of "I need to do so much stuff but I can only do one thing this afternoon!" in his playstyle.

SKX31

Smash Master
I think Hero has a moveset that's both methodical and frantic. Methodical in that you need to be aware of and use the right spell for the right situation while monitoring your MP. Frantic in that it's ****ing hard to keep track of different displays on different parts of the screen that constantly change while fighting, and it's all random as **** anyway.
Sometimes though you have no goddamned clue what is happening:

Hilarious_Hero_Shenanigans_in_Smash_Ultimate_3 (1).gif

I'd argue the C4 and grenades get the feeling of using all the tools you've got to turn the situation to your advantage for Snake but I'll have to take your word on Joker. There does seem to be a distinct lack of "I need to do so much stuff but I can only do one thing this afternoon!" in his playstyle.
While he's capable of summoning different Personas in P5, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai kept Joker just to Arsene partly to simplify things and not have to model different Personas. (He does still have some major things unique to himself - Gun, Eiha, Rebel's Guard, his dash attack, up tilt and his combo strings are different from :ultgreninja: and :ultsheik:, the two closest to Joker's playstyle.)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It makes me pretty sad that so many people who say characters like Crash, Master Chief, Dante, Sora and even Gordon Freeman are the last big hype characters...

When Lara Croft is literally standing right there. ;-;

I don't understand why she's so unpopular in discussion. She's a gaming all-star.
I would throw Steve in as well. Otherwise I agree.
1. She's a character more known for the Playstation Brand
You mean like how:ultcloud:and:ultjoker:are? Also Crash who is highly requested despite not being owned anymore by Sony is still seen in the eyes by many an Playstation brand.
4. Her arsenal is almost entirely real-world, no asterisks guns.
:ultjoker:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I believe the guessing game for Arms was a good idea instead of being silent until June.

But seriously, I hope that was a one time thing

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It seems people finally decided to come around and accept that Pokemon is likely as a DLC pick. There is no other franchise besides Pokemon that gets special treatment and gets a reserved spot years in prior before the games are officially revealed, it's ludicrous and Pokemon will never stop getting special treatment for Smash because it is the highest grossing media franchise of all time and will continue being so. Sword and Shield sold like hotcakes and Nintendo will most definitely want to strike while the hammer is hot and capitalize on the game's success.

If it was any other franchise I would have my doubts, but this is Pokemon, it getting special treatment is common knowledge and has been corroborated by the director of Smash himself. My surprise for a Gen 8 DLC fighter would be about as big as someone telling me that water is wet. I just hope they don't do another god damn guessing game for Pokemon because I will lose my ****ing mind if they do so.
I'm still of the opinion Pokémon is not super likely for Fighter's Pass 2, though with huge reservations since that same reasoning was wrong in the base. I think it would be good for Nintendo to focus on franchises, even first party ones, that don't have a unique character in the base game of Ultimate. Fire Emblem and Arms makes perfect sense for that, same with Xenoblade. Then we'd have one unique character for Ultimate from Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Arms, and Xenoblade. I think that's a healthy list of Nintendo newcomers, excluding echoes. People say Pokémon gets a newcomer every time--and we did, Incineroar.

That being said, the marketing argument is strong, and I don't think Nintendo wants to pass up on the opportunity to have a new Pokémon stage in Ultimate as well as music from Sword and Shield. So, I'm certainly not saying it's unlikely--I'd even go so far as to say it is likely, especially if the speculation that this is a majority Nintendo Pass is true. Just not as likely or assured as everyone keeps assuming.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Fan predictions regarding playstyles rarely turn out to be 100% correct aside from platforming and fighting game characters.
And even then they're usually wrong:

Bowser Jr was presumed to play like Bowser but smaller, faster and could use a paintbrush to set up traps.

Rosalina wasn't seen as anything but Peach clone material simply replacing Toad with Luma and have her spin up instead of a parasol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This falls apart when you figure out that Greninja was worked on before the X and Y anime even started.
Pokémon decides literally everything years in advance. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Greninja's role in the anime was decided on before Sakurai/GameFreak picked him for Smash.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't agree with the sentiment we have to get stuck with a Gen 8 Rep just cause. We didn't get a Pokemon based on shilling out one in Smash 4's DLC, we got the most requested veteran (not counting Snake for obvious reasons) of all time specifically for the Smash context as an experiment with DLC early post Smash 4's release. I'm sure being a Pokemon helped him, but he was chosen for his Smash context first and foremost. Sure, we got Corrin after getting Robin in base game Smash 4 as an example, but they wanted a character from a relevant title and that late 2015-2016 period was really rough from a choices perspective. Inkling's complexity probably was a bit too much for a late DLC pick when they were already looking to transition to Ultimate anyway, so they were out. Xenoblade had just barely gotten a character in base game and Xenoblade was in a comparatively tough position as a franchise compared to how much it would soar just two years later. Fire Emblem was officially an up and coming brand with one of Nintendo's biggest releases of the time (attempting a Pokemon-esque two versions was ambitious if ultimately unnecessary), and they just barely got in on the back of Sakurai being convinced by his team on a unique move set. It was a fairly unique set of circumstances that led to Smash 4 adding 4 FE characters at the end of the day.

I think that necessitates a bit more of how we frame this specific situation. They don't necessarily care that franchises have gotten fighters already in the game, but that's not really what I think makes a Pokemon more or less likely. The thing is, Smash is an advertising avenue for Nintendo's brands and their systems that also revels in being this huge crossover. There's a lot to be gained by putting in characters into it, but arguably less so with Pokemon in particular given the brand's huge dominance already. Remember, base game Ultimate added 4 Pokemon to Smash 4's existing line-up. It brought back 3 veterans in Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur, and also added the completely unique Incineroar in a game that only 5 completely unique fighters. That doesn't mean they can't add more mind you, but what it does mean is that Nintendo has already invested heavily in Pokemon for Ultimate. It may be the biggest franchise in video games, but it's worth examining that fact as something that may actually be more likely to result in no additional Pokemon newcomer rather than a Gen 8 rep. Smash continues to give them an opportunity to build their first party brands and embrace crossovers and partnerships with third parties in a major way in addition to occasionally including fan favorites here and there, so maybe that's why they will choose other content for Volume 2 DLC wise. They skipped it for Volume 1 mind you, so there's a chance they're more than willing to skip it again.

I'll never say it's impossible for Pokemon to get another rep because it of course isn't, but I also don't agree with how likely some people make it out to be and specifically being Pokemon doesn't absolutely convince me that its more likely in this instance. The Spirits are of course a massive strike against base game Sword/Shield since they came well after they were already planning additional fighters, and the DLC hasn't actually opened up options all that much since there's a limited number of new Pokemon in them. You can argue the semantics of which Pokemon were included in that Spirit event and you can argue that there is technically nothing stopping them from adding those Spirits to a Pokemon Spirit Board... but that's also completely out of step with how Spirits have been handled across the board. Spirits developed at the same time major content was developed have always been the practical disconfirmation that I've spoken to earlier, and the one time we got a more specific situation was when Three Houses NEVER got Spirits only for us to end up with Byleth and a Three Houses Spirit board.

When I consider the Spirit context along with the base game context and investment Nintendo has already done in Pokemon specifically, I'm significantly more skeptical of Pokemon in Volume 2 than I know many people are.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't know about any of you but if we get a Pokemon rep in this fighters pass, I want it to be Decidueye. I don't care if we get two gen 7 pokemon who are both starters, Decidueye looks cool.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't know about any of you but if we get a Pokemon rep in this fighters pass, I want it to be Decidueye. I don't care if we get two gen 7 pokemon who are both starters, Decidueye looks cool.
Partly one of the reasons a Gen 8 rep is unappealing is to me the best Gen 7/8 characters would have been Decidueye/Cinderace, more so than Incineroar/Rillaboom. But that’s no longer the case, so my hope is if we do get a Gen 8 Pokémon it’s something completely different.

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
This has probably been discussed at length since the Min Min reveal, but just in case it hasn't...

The very specific mention of spirit events changing when DLC costumes/characters are purchased seems suspicious. The fact that he even states that we should expect more of these kind of things to happening in the future all but confirms that we will be receiving more "upgraded" spirits.

I'm calling it: Geno is in.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This has probably been discussed at length since the Min Min reveal, but just in case it hasn't...

The very specific mention of spirit events changing when DLC costumes/characters are purchased seems suspicious. The fact that he even states that we should expect more of these kind of things to happening in the future all but confirms that we will be receiving more "upgraded" spirits.

Geno is overrated.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't agree with the sentiment we have to get stuck with a Gen 8 Rep just cause. We didn't get a Pokemon based on shilling out one in Smash 4's DLC, we got the most requested veteran (not counting Snake for obvious reasons) of all time specifically for the Smash context as an experiment with DLC early post Smash 4's release. I'm sure being a Pokemon helped him, but he was chosen for his Smash context first and foremost. Sure, we got Corrin after getting Robin in base game Smash 4 as an example, but they wanted a character from a relevant title and that late 2015-2016 period was really rough from a choices perspective. Inkling's complexity probably was a bit too much for a late DLC pick when they were already looking to transition to Ultimate anyway, so they were out. Xenoblade had just barely gotten a character in base game and Xenoblade was in a comparatively tough position as a franchise compared to how much it would soar just two years later. Fire Emblem was officially an up and coming brand with one of Nintendo's biggest releases of the time (attempting a Pokemon-esque two versions was ambitious if ultimately unnecessary), and they just barely got in on the back of Sakurai being convinced by his team on a unique move set. It was a fairly unique set of circumstances that led to Smash 4 adding 4 FE characters at the end of the day.

I think that necessitates a bit more of how we frame this specific situation. They don't necessarily care that franchises have gotten fighters already in the game, but that's not really what I think makes a Pokemon more or less likely. The thing is, Smash is an advertising avenue for Nintendo's brands and their systems that also revels in being this huge crossover. There's a lot to be gained by putting in characters into it, but arguably less so with Pokemon in particular given the brand's huge dominance already. Remember, base game Ultimate added 4 Pokemon to Smash 4's existing line-up. It brought back 3 veterans in Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur, and also added the completely unique Incineroar in a game that only 5 completely unique fighters. That doesn't mean they can't add more mind you, but what it does mean is that Nintendo has already invested heavily in Pokemon for Ultimate. It may be the biggest franchise in video games, but it's worth examining that fact as something that may actually be more likely to result in no additional Pokemon newcomer rather than a Gen 8 rep. Smash continues to give them an opportunity to build their first party brands and embrace crossovers and partnerships with third parties in a major way in addition to occasionally including fan favorites here and there, so maybe that's why they will choose other content for Volume 2 DLC wise. They skipped it for Volume 1 mind you, so there's a chance they're more than willing to skip it again.

I'll never say it's impossible for Pokemon to get another rep because it of course isn't, but I also don't agree with how likely some people make it out to be and specifically being Pokemon doesn't absolutely convince me that its more likely in this instance. The Spirits are of course a massive strike against base game Sword/Shield since they came well after they were already planning additional fighters, and the DLC hasn't actually opened up options all that much since there's a limited number of new Pokemon in them. You can argue the semantics of which Pokemon were included in that Spirit event and you can argue that there is technically nothing stopping them from adding those Spirits to a Pokemon Spirit Board... but that's also completely out of step with how Spirits have been handled across the board. Spirits developed at the same time major content was developed have always been the practical disconfirmation that I've spoken to earlier, and the one time we got a more specific situation was when Three Houses NEVER got Spirits only for us to end up with Byleth and a Three Houses Spirit board.

When I consider the Spirit context along with the base game context and investment Nintendo has already done in Pokemon specifically, I'm significantly more skeptical of Pokemon in Volume 2 than I know many people are.
I don't think anyone is saying a SwSh Pokemon is guaranteed to happen, just that it's probably in one of the best positions out of all first-parties to receive a new character.

It could be taken as a bad sign too.

If Geno gets a Mii Costume, they could upgrade his Spirit battle.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I want a fully evolved Grass starter, but I'm not really feeling Rillaboom. Smash already has a bigass gorilla.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think anyone is saying a SwSh Pokemon is guaranteed to happen, just that it's probably in one of the best positions out of all first-parties to receive a new character.

It could be taken as a bad sign too.

If Geno gets a Mii Costume, they could upgrade his Spirit battle.
On that note I’m surprised Rex’s Spirit battle hasn’t gotten the Cuphead treatment yet...

and I think Geno’s costume will return, as will Lloyd’s. They brought back Heihachi’s after all.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
On that note I’m surprised Rex’s Spirit battle hasn’t gotten the Cuphead treatment yet...

and I think Geno’s costume will return, as will Lloyd’s. They brought back Heihachi’s after all.
They're not updating Spirit fights until the 29th, when 8.0.0 is released.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They're not updating Spirit fights until the 29th, when 8.0.0 is released.
I do very much wonder what they’ll do with Min Min in WoL, since her Spirit battle is originally in the first map

I was saying that most people put his chances as being much higher than they actually are.
Tbh if there IS a Square Enix character with affinity to Nintendo that I feel people are sleeping on big time, it’s Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You. Originated on the DS, appeared in KH:DDD on the 3DS, I’m surprised he doesn’t have more support

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I find that a little strange too, which makes me wonder if there's a reason for not updating it.

Probably not, but if Rex got in as a character, they'd likely use him instead of a Mii swordfighter.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I was saying that most people put his chances as being much higher than they actually are.
Tbh that just depends on how likely people see it. Obviously I'm aware a lot of bias goes into making a percentage of likelihood based on something that they prefer but it is the minority in which people give sky high scores based on nothing but confounded evidence disguised through paper thin evidence. I have definitely seen this happen but not often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom