• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ayyy Crash is Number 1! Nice.

Shout out to the other 26 people who voted for Edelgard and helped her be the second highest placing Fire Emblem character, only behind Lyn and even beating Spring Man, the highest voted ARMS character.

Also shout out to Spring Man for getting the same amount of votes as Jonesy, and one vote fewer than Freddy Fazbear lol.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Most of my requests made it into top 50 (Nightmare just barely missed it) so I'm pretty cool with the results.

Now I know that none of them will actually get in because that's how life works.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Awww, Ashley dropped out of the top 50. I'm still happy to see Waluigi in the top 15 though. I'm also happy that Kratos and Gordon got a ton of votes this time, it feels like people are finally taking them seriously.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
They shouldn't be taken seriously in what sense? Isn't the idea to find out who people want?
Some of these polls are a bit skewed by the current speculation scene. As a result, the votes seem to be a mix between what people want and what they believe will be the likeliest newcomer based on current speculation.

For example , to me it seems like Doom slayer’s fan base came out of nowhere only because that whole “cacodemon rumour/leak”. Just never seemed like a large amount of people wanted him.

In a way it makes some of these character’s popularity just seem like a temporary fad. However, there are a few characters who make that top 10 consistently from what I can tell: Sora,Geno, Crash.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ayyy Crash is Number 1! Nice.

Shout out to the other 26 people who voted for Edelgard and helped her be the second highest placing Fire Emblem character, only behind Lyn and even beating Spring Man, the highest voted ARMS character.

Also shout out to Spring Man for getting the same amount of votes as Jonesy, and one vote fewer than Freddy Fazbear lol.
Also, shout outs to Doom Slayer for being number ****ing 3, Master Chief for being in the top 10, and Ryu Hayabusa for being top 20. You guys got good taste.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I’m just happy to see most of the characters I want made it in the top 100.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Some of these polls are a bit skewed by the current speculation scene. As a result, the votes seem to be a mix between what people want and what they believe will be the likeliest newcomer based on current speculation.

For example , to me it seems like Doom slayer’s fan base came out of nowhere only because that whole “cacodemon rumour/leak”. Just never seemed like a large amount of people wanted him.

In a way it makes some of these character’s popularity just seem like a temporary fad. However, there are a few characters who make that top 10 consistently from what I can tell: Sora,Geno, Crash.
Doom Guy's fanbase came around Fighter 4/Fighter 5. Can't remember why, but it happened before the cacodemon thing.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Me with Thanatos right now.

Anyway here are the top 50 51 first parties from that poll for those that would rather have more first parties or just don't care about third parties.
1. Bandana Dee
2. Waluigi
3. Isaac
4. Dixie Kong
5. Rex & Pyra
6. Paper Mario
7. Porky
8. Skull Kid
9. Elma
10. Toad/Captain Toad

The characters onwards didn't make top 50 overall

10. Rillaboom
11. Impa
12. Karate Joe
13. Krystal
14/15. Chibi Robo
14/15. Midna
16. Cinderace
17. Akira Howard
18. Octoling
19. Toxtricity
20. Chorus Kid
21. Gen 8 Pokemon
21/22. Toad
21/22. King Boo
23. Captain Toad
24/25. Magolor
24/25. Marx
26/27. Ring Fit Trainer
26/27. Ashley
28/29. Sylux
28/29. Felix
30. Sceptile
31/32. Lyn
31/32. Funky Kong
33/34/35/36. Euden
33/34/35/36. Ninten
33/34/35/36. Vaati
33/34/35/36. Lip

Characters onwards didn't make top 100 overall.

37. Adeleine & Ribbon
38. Ganon
39/40. Grovyle
39/40. Mike Jones
41. Edelgard
42. Tingle
43/44. Tom Nook
43/44. Spring Man
45. Rhythm Heaven
45/46. Saki Amamiya
45/46. Fawful
47. Medusa
48. Black Shadow
4950/51. Viridi
49/50/51. Takamaru
49/50/51. Fiora
Felix from Golden Sun is the only name I'm surprised got as many votes as they did.
I'm impressed that Adeleine got 32 votes and is at least in the top 50 of the Nintendo-only chart... also placing above all the Arms characters, and a few other relatively popular characters such as Tom Nook, Fawful, Medusa and Black Shadow (I would say Tingle and Ganon too but sadly they don't have much support).
Super happy for Karate Joe getting a decent amount of votes and more than Chorus Kids too.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That list is pretty much what I would expect as a snapshot into the fanbase at the time. All of the Top 20 candidates got a lot of talk at the time and it was before ARMs came back into the conversation again so we didn't shift away from that cycle, so a lot of it fits what the fanbase wanted to see.

All that said, always happy to see Spyro, he may not be considered likely, but I'm happy that many others still do want to see him.

Keep in mind these are from all Smash fans that know of Source Gaming and not just the people here on SmashBoards. The results may not line up with what you see here.

• Odd that Rillaboom's the most popular. Silly trinity quota or no I didn't think people would want it that much, as I perceive it to be by far the least popular of the three starters like Primarina, Delphox, and Emboar before it.
  • Cinderace and Toxtricity's placings don't surprise me either. Cinderace is the most popular of the three and Toxtricity seems to be the most popular Galar Pokémon sans maybe Dragapult, but it's not even on this list.
  • It's funny that both Sceptile and Grovyle made the list due to popularity for the former, and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon for the latter. It's worth noting that even if they got votes for the trinity quota, it's still people genuinely wanting these Pokémon, as they're not likely picks in the slightest.
    • This also goes for Decidueye.
  • I think it's worth noting that Zacian & Zamazenta is the "correct" way of writing the duo similarly to how nobody would say Luigi & Mario or Kazooie & Banjo. Zacian is still more popular, but there may be occurrences where voters liked Zamazenta more, but wanted both.
Rillaboom's placement makes sense when you consider the Smash fanbase. Its placement among Pokemon fans is... lackluster to say the least, but the poll is more geared towards Smash fans and they (especially those on Smashboards) tend to be more keen on it whether due to factors like the very tired meme, the so-called 'grass quota', or just liking it for what it is. As a result it has more votes then the others since the fans voting here have more positivity for it, if the poll was more broad it may've been more competitive with the others.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Polls are interesting to look at, but they really shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Honestly, I doubt any DLC character besides Banjo came close to being in the top 10 of most polls taken before Joker was revealed. I might even go as far as to say that they probably didn't make the top 25 in most cases.
I'm pretty sure :ulthero: was consistently high up in Japanese rankings. Sure, Hero's / Yuusha's popularity is a direct result of the games being a cultural mainstay there these past 30+ years (and that's the much bigger factor at play), but that helped give us wonderful moments like this:

Filthiest_Edge_Guards_in_Smash_Ultimate_3.gif

IIRC Doom Slayer's fanbase was around for quite a while before Cacomallow (at least around FP1's beginnings) - with people specifically touting that Doom had a strong Nintendo presence.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Crash at #1
Reimu at #11
Spyro at #21
Amaterasu at #27
Monster Hunter at #31
Agumon at #41
Glad to see most of my favorites are in the top 50

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Doom Guy's fanbase came around Fighter 4/Fighter 5. Can't remember why, but it happened before the cacodemon thing.
Way before fighter 4. Doom Guy's traction begun with the 5chan leak that said Steve, Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Guy were leaked for Fighter Pass 1.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Results aren't quite what I expected from a pre-ARMS poll. Here's the full list of results for anyone that's interested.
Sol placing that high is really unexpected in my opinion. I was expecting him to be among the top 100, but not there. Kiryu's also in a decent place.

Not surprised for Crash being number one, honestly.

I honestly though Dante was a joke pick until now, jeez.
A joke pick? Dante? Seriously, why? It's not like we're talking about Bubsy here.

D

Deleted member

The biggest contributor to Doomguy/Doom Slayer's rise on the poll would mostly stem from the merging of fandoms between Animal Crossing and DOOM because of New Horizons and Eternal having the same release date. Pretty much the whole time before March 20th, it was nonstop Animal Crossing x DOOM wholesomeness from both communities from fanart to SFMs to subreddits being welcoming to 1 another and so on. Not even somebody at Bethesda or ID saying Nintendo didn't call them back would kill people's interest in Doom Slayer being playable.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Not that this speaks for everyone but doesn't it feel at times that the people who've supported Springman or Min Min or any ARMS rep who currently exists in the game right now don't really do it because they're ARMS fans but because they're just after breaking the "no promotions" fan rule / set a precedent that promotions can happen within the same game?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sol placing that high is really unexpected in my opinion. I was expecting him to be among the top 100, but not there. Kiryu's also in a decent place.

Not surprised for Crash being number one, honestly.

A joke pick? Dante? Seriously, why? It's not like we're talking about Bubsy here.
Terry in a way opened up the possibility of him along with the other outlandish choices on the poll.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I get the feeling most votes are what the polls asked for: wanted votes. Just some info and potential leads either makes some character’s fans realize “oh! My favorite character could be in Smash!” or just makes it feel actually worth their time speaking up/they get Smash hype. Especially since a lot of these characters have clear popularity outside of polls and speculation, and fans still put time into this stuff.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Character support bases flunctuating based off time periods and circumstances are nothing new in the world of Smash. DOOM has always been a pretty beloved series, it just has taken certain circumstances aligning for Doomguy to increase in fan demand.

Not that this speaks for everyone but doesn't it feel at times that the people who've supported Springman or Min Min or any ARMS rep who currently exists in the game right now don't really do it because they're ARMS fans but because they're just after breaking the "no promotions" fan rule / set a precedent that promotions can happen within the same game?
Every character with notable fan support has bandwagoners.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From what has been said here, there's like, 3 people who actually want Spring Man for reasons other than "now x character has a chance".

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Every character with notable fan support has bandwagoners.
Let's make this more specific. Doesn't it feel like most people only back these promotion picks because it goes down the slippery slope of "if they promote Spirits now this means *my* guy has a chance" without actually liking the ARMS rep in question?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still stand by it being Helix. No particular reason, just still holding out on it. :nifty:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Actually I feel like some Min Min supporters only do so because "AT promotions bad, spirit promotions good".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't remember much of what I voted for, but I must've taken the poll wrong. One of my picks is definitely not on there that I know I voted for.

But eh. Nice simple poll~

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I was really surprised seeing Sol and Kiryu so high up. Especially the fact that Sol surpassed Heihachi himself! I'm still processing that fact alone...

Seeing Phoenix get tons of love lately is making me smile as well, I did expect him to do well. But I didn't expect him to be in the Top 10!

Such nice surprises...

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
My picks did pretty well on this poll, I'm quite happy about it.
Crash at #1
Doom Slayer at #3
Rayman at #6
Master Chief at #8?!
Dixie Kong at #16
Ryu Hayabusa at #19
Quote at #47
Earthworm Jim got 22 votes???!!! Groovy people. Love it.

As for the ARMS fighter, I'm on the fence. Min Min seems to be the clear favorite, despite what this poll says, but Spring Man seems to be the face of the game. Could go either way. I'm looking forward to it either way. I'm also hoping for news on the FP1 amiibo, and have my fingers crossed for a Hollow Knight mii costume. I'll be bowing out until the reveal, so enjoy your weekend folks. I'll catch you on the other side of the reveal.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
My most wanted rankings(this would have been my ballot)
Phoenix - 10th
Spyro - 21st
Hollow Knight - 22th
Scorpion - 29th
Lara Croft - 35th
Nathan Drake - 7 votes

Pretty cool to see a lot of my wants do well even if I don't expect a lot of them to make it in.

Other faves rankings:
Crash - 1st
Kratos - 58th!!!!!!(Wow, really didn't expect that)
Jill Valentine - 98th
Edelgard - 127th
Cranky Kong - 174th
Aloy - 4 votes

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Seeing Phoenix get tons of love lately is making me smile as well, I did expect him to do well. But I didn't expect him to be in the Top 10!
honestly it warms my heart to see phoenix get all this recognition

because i still remember the early days of pass 1 spec where wright was constantly pushed aside in favor of re and dante

and now here is, being way more frequently talked about and consistently making the top 10 in fan polls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom