• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Results aren't quite what I expected from a pre-ARMS poll. Here's the full list of results for anyone that's interested.
Assuming the poll was pre-ARMS reveal, it's quite interesting to see the results for the ARMS cast

Spring Man had 25 votes
Min Min had 13 votes (Yes, I was one of em)
Ribbon Girl had 5 votes
Twintelle had 4 votes
Dr Coyle had 3 votes
Lola Pop, Helix, and Max Brass all had 2 votes
and Mechanica and Kid Cobra both had 1 vote

The amount of votes is absolutely too small to be considered concrete and stuff, but it's interesting regardless

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Assuming the poll was pre-ARMS reveal, it's quite interesting to see the results for the ARMS cast

Spring Man had 25 votes
Ribbon Girl had 5 votes
Twintelle had 4 vote
Dr Coyle had 3 votes

The amount of votes is absolutely too small to be considered concrete and stuff, but it's interesting regardless
the poll was conducted around april/may time, though i've a gut feeling a certain margin of spring man votes come from seeing him as the ticket to assist trophy promotions

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Wow. I can't believe Sgt. Cortez got 3 votes. I thought I'd be the only one.

Yeah! It's Time to Split!

It's time to split fast.gif

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
the poll was conducted around april/may time, though i've a gut feeling a certain margin of spring man votes come from seeing him as the ticket to assist trophy promotions
Nah, iirc it was early March. A tad bit before we even knew an ARMS character was coming.

SKX31

Smash Master
Results aren't quite what I expected from a pre-ARMS poll. Here's the full list of results for anyone that's interested.
*Sees that both LoL and Dota 2 even got votes.*

А ну-ка иди-ка сюда. А вот все. Все. *

(* “Why don't you come over here? That’s it, that’s it.”)

*Hopes that either of those two get into FP2*

Gordon in the top 50 is a nice surprise, as is KOS-MOS (okay, the latter might not be a surprise, but it's still nice to see).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
SourceGaming showed this off, over 4000 people entered
I can't remember who I voted for (though I assume it's the six characters in my signature), but if we got the top five and an ARMS character, that would be a great Fighters Pass.

Even if I'm not very familiar with Crash (I've beaten Crash 3 and Wrath of Cortex, played bits of 1 and 2, and played Crash Team Racing) or Sora (I've only played Kingdom Hearts 1 and Chain of Memories), they'd be amazing (and easily justifiable) inclusions. The rest of the top five consists of my top three most wanted, so I'd have no problems there.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Spring Man had 25 votes
Ribbon Girl had 5 votes
Twintelle had 4 vote
Dr Coyle had 3 votes

It could mean that, out of the people who actually wanted an ARMS character over a ton of other options, Spring Man was the one they wanted most. Min Min was second, and everyone else was kinda negligible.

Potentially a good insight as to what ARMS fans wanted (even then the guessing game may have changed opinions), but definitely not accurate to what the entire Smash community wants.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Also Kyo actually got 2 votes. Granted one of them was from me but the fact that someone out there still wants him in Smash even after Terry is great.
Me with Thanatos right now.

Anyway here are the top 50 51 first parties from that poll for those that would rather have more first parties or just don't care about third parties.
1. Bandana Dee
2. Waluigi
3. Isaac
4. Dixie Kong
5. Rex & Pyra
6. Paper Mario
7. Porky
8. Skull Kid
9. Elma
10. Toad/Captain Toad

The characters onwards didn't make top 50 overall

10. Rillaboom
11. Impa
12. Karate Joe
13. Krystal
14/15. Chibi Robo
14/15. Midna
16. Cinderace
17. Akira Howard
18. Octoling
19. Toxtricity
20. Chorus Kid
21. Gen 8 Pokemon
21/22. Toad
21/22. King Boo
23. Captain Toad
24/25. Magolor
24/25. Marx
26/27. Ring Fit Trainer
26/27. Ashley
28/29. Sylux
28/29. Felix
30. Sceptile
31/32. Lyn
31/32. Funky Kong
33/34/35/36. Euden
33/34/35/36. Ninten
33/34/35/36. Vaati
33/34/35/36. Lip

Characters onwards didn't make top 100 overall.

37. Adeleine & Ribbon
38. Ganon
39/40. Grovyle
39/40. Mike Jones
41. Edelgard
42. Tingle
43/44. Tom Nook
43/44. Spring Man
45. Rhythm Heaven
45/46. Saki Amamiya
45/46. Fawful
47. Medusa
48. Black Shadow
4950/51. Viridi
49/50/51. Takamaru
49/50/51. Fiora
Felix from Golden Sun is the only name I'm surprised got as many votes as they did.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma is in 44th place. Tbh I’m happy she’s just there period

where were Neku and Octoling? I just heard Elma’s placement from the thread and don’t have time to watch the full video

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Me with Thanatos right now.

Anyway here are the top 50 51 first parties from that poll for those that would rather have more first parties or just don't care about third parties.
1. Bandana Dee
2. Waluigi
3. Isaac
4. Dixie Kong
5. Rex & Pyra
6. Paper Mario
7. Porky
8. Skull Kid
9. Elma
10. Toad/Captain Toad

The characters onwards didn't make top 50 overall

10. Rillaboom
11. Impa
12. Karate Joe
13. Krystal
14/15. Chibi Robo
14/15. Midna
16. Cinderace
17. Akira Howard
18. Octoling
19. Toxtricity
20. Chorus Kid
21. Gen 8 Pokemon
21/22. Toad
21/22. King Boo
23. Captain Toad
24/25. Magolor
24/25. Marx
26/27. Ring Fit Trainer
26/27. Ashley
28/29. Sylux
28/29. Felix
30. Sceptile
31/32. Lyn
31/32. Funky Kong
33/34/35/36. Euden
33/34/35/36. Ninten
33/34/35/36. Vaati
33/34/35/36. Lip
37. Adeleine & Ribbon
38. Ganon
39/40. Grovyle
39/40. Mike Jones
41. Edelgard
42. Tingle
43/44. Tom Nook
43/44. Spring Man
45. Rhythm Heaven
45/46. Saki Amamiya
45/46. Fawful
47. Medusa
48. Black Shadow
4950/51. Viridi
49/50/51. Takamaru
49/50/51. Fiora
Felix from Golden Sun is the only name I'm surprised got as many votes as they did.
Those aren't bad results. I'm surprised Rillaboom got as many votes as it did though. Expected Cinderace to one up it at the very least.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Those aren't bad results. I'm surprised Rillaboom got as many votes as it did though. Expected Cinderace to one up it at the very least.
Some of those votes are only because some people are obsessed with wanting a Grass starter in Smash.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think that most people used the logic “well, Spring Man who is already an AT is main face of the game, so it is not likely we will get a fighter from that game” and preferred to vote other characters.

But hey, last time we got character that got #1 place (Banjo-Kazooie), so maybe this time we will get Crash?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I think that most people used the logic “well, Spring Man who is already an AT is main face of the game, so it is not likely we will get a fighter from that game” and preferred to vote other characters.

But hey, last time we got character that got #1 place (Banjo-Kazooie), so maybe this time we will get Crash?
The fighters have already been selected I think. Either way, he's got good chances, he was already wanted last pass.

D

Deleted member

Bandana Waddle Dee is the only first-party character to be in the top 10.

A true warrior never dies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It's a poll for most wanted. If they want Springman merely to get another assist trophy promoted, why wouldn't they instead vote for the latter?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't recall that being an issue.
Well, the language barrier is an issue, and Sakurai only did it with BK because of both fan demand and Microsoft being willing to cooperate with Nintendo. There's also COVID-19 which makes international communication difficult.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well, the language barrier is an issue, and Sakurai only did it with BK because of both fan demand and Microsoft being willing to cooperate with Nintendo. There's also COVID-19 which makes international communication difficult.
The Fighter Pass 2 roster was already finalised long before COVID-19 would have an effect, since licensing for any potential third-party character would have had to been sorted a long time ago.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I don't see how international communication is difficult. Unless I'm mistaking something, can't you just send an email or something? It's not too hard to communicate. The language barrier could be a problem, but if it's written you could just stuff it in google translate or something and be done. I don't know, maybe I'm confusing something here.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Fighter Pass 2 roster was already finalised long before COVID-19 would have an effect, since licensing for any potential third-party character would have had to been sorted a long time ago.
I still think that they would prioritize Japanese characters out of pure convenience.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It always amazes me that people will look at any poll and then try to explain away the top characters as "well people don't really want those characters, they just expect them since they all read the prompt wrong, so those scores are invalid.

Also I'm annoyed that I didn't know about this poll so I couldn't vote. :crying:

*Spring Man gets revealed.

View attachment 275405

"Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Spring Man was an exception. I don't think we'll see another AT get upgraded ever again."
You're giving it an hour? That's generous.

Don't forget also the "omg whoever thought it would be anyone other than Spring Man was just being an idiot with blinders on!"

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Sol Badguy making it into top 35, and Spyro in top 25? Ya love to see it.

Rayman in top 6? Ya definitely love to see it

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
*Spring Man gets revealed.

View attachment 275405

"Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Spring Man was an exception. I don't think we'll see another AT get upgraded ever again."
On the one hand, the assist trophy fan rule was always a silly rule--if Sakurai/Nintendo wanted a character in, they wouldn't see the assist trophy and go, "our hands are tied." The point of the rule is if they're an assist, they weren't being planned on being a playable character in the near future. But with Fighter's Pass 2, with or without Spring Man's possible inclusion, that logic no longer holds.

That being said, I do think Spring Man would be an exception in a certain sense--Sakurai mentioned Rex and Spring Man as characters that likely would have been in the base game, but missed their chance due to timing. That's a category not many other assists fall under, and I suspect there will be characters who were planned for the base, but didn't make it in. The only assist I can see being included beyond Spring Man is Waluigi, due to the fan outcry that got a comment from Reggie on, even though my want for an upgrade is Bomberman.

I don't recall that being an issue.
Sakurai has mentioned that the issue is the logistics of working with people overseas. He mentioned that was the reason Rare trophies didn't appear in Melee, due to Rare being a British company, and how unique it was for Grant to be asked to work on a song for Banjo & Kazooie's inclusion. And Sakurai's comments on working at home clarified why that can be problematic--outside of the office environment, it's hard to talk about sensitive information, and it's generally more easier to work with people if they're in the same room. So, that's the big hurdle Western companies have with coming to Smash, and why as of now it's only been mii costumes/spirits and Banjo & Kazooie. My hope is that has opened the door for Western owned characters (we have gotten so much content as it is, compared to previous titles), but at the same time, I recognize it's still a hurdle and if Crash doesn't appear, that's my guess as to why.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
The fighters have already been selected I think. Either way, he's got good chances, he was already wanted last pass.
Yeah I know, what I was trying to say is that is a good coincidence that Banjo-Kazooie who got #1 last poll got in. But that also suggests that is a bit overhopeful to expect that the rest five fighters from FP2 will coincide with some names from top 15. Maybe 1 or 2, the rest can easily be some “unexpected” names like Terry or not so super popular (in smash hardcore fanbase) characters like Hero.

For example; There is some speculation that we can get a new Namco-Bandai fighter, lets look at the one that got more than 100 votes:

- 23: Lloyd (Tales)
- 39: Heihachi (Tekken)
- 41: Agumon (Digimon)
- 45: Klonoa (Klonoa)

You can see that there isn’t a highly excitement to get a new N-B character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom