• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Honestly, on the subject of the Gen 8 rep, I wouldnt reallyyy mind one as long as we get a kickass flashy stage (Wyndon Gym with Gigantamaxed Pokémon in the background perhaps?) and some of Gen 8's great music accompanied with it. Despite how much Gen 8 is lacking in quite a lot of areas, you gotta agree that it has some kickass music. (Wouldn't recommend clicking on those links if you haven't played the game and want to stay unspoiled by the way) It'd be a great way to add more to its music selection imo.

Also, I'm not that far into the expansion yet, but the music still doesn't seem to disappoint from what I've heard already.

So yeah, I'm not really in favour of getting a Gen 8 Pokémon. I'm of the opinion that Pokémon has already had its fill representation wise (though that's subjective anyway). But hey, if Nintendo decided to add one anyway, I wouldn't really be that opposed to it as long as the choices they make surrounding the fighter, stage and music are reasonable.

Honestly, I'd gladly take Guilty Gear spirits or a Sol Mii Costume. Or both, lol.
It's not like Sol has a lot of chances to make it in so I don't think we're in position to demand more than that. Anything from GG in Smash would be a nice surprise, at least for me.
Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't want to come over as an entitled prick that wanted Sol in Smash 100% lmao. Any GG content would be amazing in Smash, and having a Sol Mii Swordsfighter costume would be one way to make me a Mii main that's for sure. I've already had a lot of my wants realised already within this game (being the Castlevania bros, Hero and Terry), so honestly if none of my current most wanted characters are getting in, I'd be alright. They'd just be the cherry-on-top for me if they were to get in.

It's just that if it were up to me as to which company would deserve another rep, it'd be either an ArcSys rep, another Capcom rep or a 2nd Bamco rep for the love of god. Not that I'd be mad if these wouldn't happen, quite the opposite, I'd just be really happy if one were to happen.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make here is that, yeah, I have my preferences in terms of which characters I want to see. But honestly, Sakurai could throw in any character from any franchise and I'd be alright with it. This kinda applies to the ARMS character as well, sure I do really want Dr. Coyle or Min Min. But if the character is someone else entirely, let's say Springman, I'd be cool with it. As long as the entirety of the Character Pack accompanied with that character is well done and seems interesting.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I had a bizarre dream that they announced fourth party Cartoon Network stages in the ARMS presentation as a separate "Stage Bundle". I don't remember anything except that it was all Cartoon Network.

I'm not even a fan of Cartoon Network.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I had a bizarre dream that they announced fourth party Cartoon Network stages in the ARMS presentation as a separate "Stage Bundle". I don't remember anything except that it was all Cartoon Network.

Dexter's Laboratory or bust!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah but they’ve also been super wrong on Smash character predictions too. Notably Joker and Terry(?). They got some stuff but I don’t think they REALLY know who the Arms character is.
While I don’t think they would make a prediction video specifically predicting a character they know is in (so things like the Three Houses character and other “crazy correct predictions” I think is genuinely them guessing, RogersBase a friend of theirs, even mentioned that’s what he thinks), given what Imran said and, what I think, Nate was implying, I think pretty much every insider knows who it is at this point. My guess is Nintendo previewed it as they were ready to announce it earlier this month, but due to current events pushed back the announcement. So I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they know who it is.

Closest you get is when a public rumor is out and they put it in spoilers “just in case” or like how they knew Incineroar was in the base game—they didn’t mention they knew on the video, but they pointed Incineroar as a possibility. Which to be honest is why I’m no longer much of a fan of Gamexplain—they should be transparent if they know something and have no comment, or only get people for prediction videos who don’t know who it is.

Though it’s not like they knew everything. It looks like they genuinely didn’t know about Banjo & Kazooie until the E3 presentation as a friend recorded their reactions in the office, and they looked genuinely happy and surprised. And, of course, there’s level of knowledge, whether it’s first hand, second hand or third hand. So they may know, without knowing for certain.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I can't believe mans isn't a fan of Samurai Jack.

SKX31

Smash Master

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
posts that aged very well :^(
Yeah, it kind of sucks, but we should have expected this as it is. They usually don't reveal 2 characters at once, aside from E3.

Even Terry's situation was kind of different, as it was a Direct reveal with a sneak peak at the end of Banjo's presentation.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Dexter's Laboratory or bust!
If it includes Townsville, Aron City, Muriel and Eustace's Farm, Aku's Earth, the Cul-de-sac, and the Absolution, I'd be down for it.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

I don't remember most of my dreams. I do remember one dream where Phoenix was announced, but the announcement was on a projector shining on the side of a building rather than an actual live stream. A friend of mine had a dream where Deku and Patrick Star were announced though.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I dont see how Springman automatically means Assist Trophies are free but more power to yall that think that
I think, at the very least, people wouldn't be able to say "lol, they're an AT, stop talking about them" anymore.

Like there are people that think SM is automatically disqualified just because of his old AT

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I can't believe mans isn't a fan of Samurai Jack.
Oh don't get me wrong, there's a number of CN works I enjoy (like Samurai Jack and EEnE). I'm just not necessarily a CN fan period so I don't know why I got that dream at all.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I think, at the very least, people wouldn't be able to say "lol, they're an AT, stop talking about them" anymore.

Like there are people that think SM is automatically disqualified just because of his old AT
Id rather have that then hear people assume every AT has a chance because of him now

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I dont see how Springman automatically means Assist Trophies are free but more power to yall that think that
I think most people know that. Some people will get their hopes up, but that'll happen no matter what anyway. It just means that ATs are no longer a "death sentence". Of course if they pick someone who's already a Spirit, then that also applies to them I guess.

Regardless, I like Spring-Man as is, so I'm good there if he is playable.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As someone who's supports characters that are and were Assist Trophies it happens a lot where I'm like:

Me: "I want Midna for Smash"

Random Person I wasn't even talking to: "She's an Assist Trophy"

Me (sarcastically): "K Thanks! Didn't know that" :rolleyes:

If Spring Man makes it in at least this won't happen.....as often.

That said I'd still prefer Min Min over Spring Man. Spring Man would be cool as he is but I'd honestly only want him for the sole reason of opening up assist trophies. And for me personally that's not really enough to actually want the character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm gonna be honest. I find Min Min to be overrated.

She's cool and all, but I personally wouldn't rank her in my top five ARMS character.

Still at least I understand Min Min's appeal, as opposed to Helix...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

She's cool and all, but I personally wouldn't rank her in my top five ARMS character.

It's ok if you feel that way Swamp, not everybody's perfect. :troll:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Helix‘s appeal is that he’s the oddball character in an already oddball game. Between mech fighters, film divas, ninjas, mad scientists, boxing champions and martial artists he takes the no-limits design even further.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, it kind of sucks, but we should have expected this as it is. They usually don't reveal 2 characters at once, aside from E3.

Even Terry's situation was kind of different, as it was a Direct reveal with a sneak peak at the end of Banjo's presentation.
At the same time, had COVID not thrown a wrench in everyone's plans, this would have been for E3, likely alongside another character

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, yes, it's a masterpiece (:4pacman:) :

View attachment 275383

That, Shrek Super Slam and DreamMix TV World Fighters (the one with Snake, Bomberman and Optimus Prime) are truly the holy (?) Triforce of non-Smash Platform Fighters.
Shrek Superslam isn't even the same type of game though. It's not a Smash clone; it's a Power Stone clone.

Id rather have that then hear people assume every AT has a chance because of him now
Nah the LESS toxicity in the community, the better. And the needless gatekeeping against those who want Assists to be playable is incredibly toxic.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
OK, so I understand Smash always ends with a fizzle, and the end is never as good as the start. This is true of Brawl, Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate and Fighter Pass 1...

...but I'm having a hard time imagining Fighters who would be a fizzle in comparison to ARMS.
Dread it. Run from it. Fire Emblem still arrives.
Inevitable Kiran.jpg

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
OK, so I understand Smash always ends with a fizzle, and the end is never as good as the start. This is true of Brawl, Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate and Fighter Pass 1...

...but I'm having a hard time imagining Fighters who would be a fizzle in comparison to ARMS.
Pink Gold Peach, Candy Kong, Toy Link, Metal Mario, Koopaling Upgrade, any of the baby mario reps as solo fighters, Gothitelle, Mrs Game and Watch

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

i just like helix because he's a funky blob dude
Nah the LESS toxicity in the community, the better. And the needless gatekeeping against those who want Assists to be playable is incredibly toxic.
tenor (3).gif

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Shrek Superslam isn't even the same type of game though. It's not a Smash clone; it's a Power Stone clone.

If we excluded characters on the basis that their fanbase has "toxic" members, then Ultimate would have a grand total of zero characters, because every fanbase is gonna have at least one person who takes things too far.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hoo boy that would reflect VERY ****ing poorly on Nintendo even if it's just unfortunate
I don't think it would be that big of a deal. If RoboCop was able to join Mortal Kombat 11 the day after George Floyd's tragic death and there was little response to his inclusion, I don't see Byte and Barq causing a stir. Most people recognize that police archetypes in media and the promotion of police brutality are two different things.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
A part of me wonders what Nintendo's gameplan for the rest of the DLC is. I want to believe they'll at least mention soon here that info on FP7 is coming, but I just don't know what to think about them this year; they've been all over the place and seem to lack any semblance of a plan and schedule for their content ATM. Like, I'm honestly starting to think we're only gonna get two of the six this year at this point.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Hoo boy that would reflect VERY ****ing poorly on Nintendo even if it's just unfortunate
Dude.

Its a video game. That is 100% fiction. Are we supposed to just scrub EVERY single fictional police officer represented in a somewhat positive light in media now? Even though fictional archetypes =/= real life situations?

If it really was Byte and Barq, I guarantee that the majority of paying customers wouldn’t give two craps apart from a vocal Twitter minority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom