• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think it would be that big of a deal. If RoboCop was able to join Mortal Kombat 11 the day after George Floyd's tragic death and there was little response to his inclusion, I don't see Byte and Barq causing a stir. Most people recognize that police archetypes in media and the promotion of police brutality are two different things.
I mean in fairness RoboCop had been announced a good deal prior to that, right? That may have tempered things.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If we excluded characters on the basis that their fanbase has "toxic" members, then Ultimate would have a grand total of zero characters, because every fanbase is gonna have at least one person who takes things too far.
INB4 Ver 8.0.0 removes every single character for having a toxic fan.

*no one is here meme intensifies*

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
4chan would explode in a ruckus laughter
Smash fans would probably be confused, a bit upset that fan rules are apparently still alive

Those 2 things mainly.
If they don’t choose Spring-Man, who’s the mascot of the game, or Min-Min/Twintelle/Ribbon Girl, who are the most popular characters alongside Springy, then those “fan rules” are prooooobably real.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If we excluded characters on the basis that their fanbase has "toxic" members, then Ultimate would have a grand total of zero characters, because every fanbase is gonna have at least one person who takes things too far.
That's his point, he's arguing that we SHOULDN'T deny communities arbitrarily deemed as toxic by a few individuals or whatnot
I don't think it would be that big of a deal. If RoboCop was able to join Mortal Kombat 11 the day after George Floyd's tragic death and there was little response to his inclusion, I don't see Byte and Barq causing a stir. Most people recognize that police archetypes in media and the promotion of police brutality are two different things.
Robocop was already revealed quite a while ago as already mentioned
Dude.

Its a video game. That is 100% fiction. Are we supposed to just scrub EVERY single fictional police officer represented in a somewhat positive light in media now? Even though fictional archetypes =/= real life situations?

If it really was Byte and Barq, I guarantee that the majority of paying customers wouldn’t give two craps apart from a vocal Twitter minority.
Kid.

Fiction INFLUENCES reality. I already said it would simply be incredibly unfortunate but you're acting like fiction has no influence when people started thinking the police were too soft and needed to be harsher shortly after Dirty Harry came out in theaters. I'm not even saying it should be canned and replaced or anything, so I don't understand why you're so worked up about "Doing something can be controversial at times"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, I don't think Byte and Barq would cause a huge upset like people think they would. We're talking about a wind-up robot officer who attacks by punching people with his long arms made out of metal coils and his robot police dog companion who wears sunglasses, has a trampoline on his head, and has a Yoshi tongue that punches people.

They're based off of police officers...but that's pretty much it. They aren't realistic police officers in the slightest.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What are people feelin' Mii Costume wise?

I'm thinkin' Hollow Knight.
I'm thinking that some Smash 4 Mii Fighter costumes will come back, which would be a bummer for those who wanted Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, or Heihachi.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm thinking that some Smash 4 Mii Fighter costumes will come back, which would be a bummer for those who wanted Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, or Heihachi.
Oh yeah, I'm definitely thinking those Smash 4 costumes are coming at some point.

One specific Smash 4 costume in particular would, ah, make things...interesting, for lack of a better word, especially if they make it a premium costume with a song.

Madeline and Badeline or Sakurai's failed me
Oooooh shoot, I didn't even consider Madeline, that would make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I'm definitely thinking those Smash 4 costumes are coming at some point.

One specific Smash 4 costume in particular would, ah, make things...interesting, for lack of a better word, especially if they make it a premium costume with a song.
Yeah. So far, Sega got all their costumes back, Capcom has all theirs barring the Monster Hunter related costumes, and NB and SE don't have any of their costumes back. And, I also think that only Indie characters will be premium costumes.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Im guessing we wont get one since it seems like they're going every other one. If we get one though HK seems like the choice
We usually get premium costumes when they do misc. focused Mii Costume packs (which happened with Banjo and Byleth).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You think we’ll get any premium Mii costumes with a song that aren’t indies and/or gunners?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You think we’ll get any premium Mii costumes with a song that aren’t indies and/or gunners?
Hopefully not more gunners yeah XD
Someone mentioned hollow knight, so that could give swordfighter finally. Or maybe Premium Geno costume comes and we get another gunner XD
Was hollow knight popular when they were still taking feedback from fans?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hopefully not more gunners yeah XD
Someone mentioned hollow knight, so that could give swordfighter finally. Or maybe Premium Geno costume comes and we get another gunner XD
Was hollow knight popular when they were still taking feedback from fans?
If we HAVE to get another premium Mii costume that’s both a gunner and indie I hope it’s Gunvolt (or Copen from Luminous Avenger iX)

Probably Hollow Knight (Swordfighter), and Ori (can be any 3)
Ori fits best as a Brawler imo

I’d also like Monokuma (Danganronpa) as a non-Indie Brawler with an original DR medley

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Shrek Superslam isn't even the same type of game though. It's not a Smash clone; it's a Power Stone clone.

Nah the LESS toxicity in the community, the better. And the needless gatekeeping against those who want Assists to be playable is incredibly toxic.
Had actually forgotten about Power Stone, yeah that's true. But still, Power Stone is also a platform fighter variant. and as such I still count Super Slam as a platform fighter for a couple major reasons:

SHREK_SLAM_BROS._MELEE.gif

SHREK_SLAM_BROS._MELEE (1).gif

Irrefutable proof that Super Slam = platform fighter.:4pacman:

A part of me wonders what Nintendo's gameplan for the rest of the DLC is. I want to believe they'll at least mention soon here that info on FP7 is coming, but I just don't know what to think about them this year; they've been all over the place and seem to lack any semblance of a plan and schedule for their content ATM. Like, I'm honestly starting to think we're only gonna get two of the six this year at this point.
There's still time for some events and even another (mini-)Direct this year, even if Nintendo has been absolutely mercurial about their release strategies. Not just with Origami King - Clubhouse Games and Jump Rope Bunny were both also released with relatively little (none in the latter case) pre-release hype. Yes, Jump Rope was a little extra project and a direct result of devs staying home, but it still fits. There's still room for three fighters (even if that seems less likely by the day) - for example, FP7 released at September, FP8 during December.

TBF, there is a chance / risk that two FP2 fighters will be released during 2020, but it's not a guarantee yet.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I see people talking indie Mii costumes. But I see no one talking about Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Ngl, it would be really cool if you take into account that it crossed over with one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Many of the Smash 4 Mii Fighter costumes would piss someone off if they were brought back, considering that the list includes Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi, and of course Geno.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Many of the Smash 4 Mii Fighter costumes would piss someone off if they were brought back, considering that the list includes Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi, and of course Geno.
The Monster Hunter ones are just armour, aren't they? I'm not overly familiar with Monster Hunter, but I've read that a big part of the game is crafting armour from the monsters that you beat, so it seems like there would be other options beyond the two that were Smash 4 DLC.

I'm not sure about all of the ones that didn't make it back, but looking through the list, the ones that stick out are...

-Chocobo Hat
-Geno
-Heihachi
-Lloyd Irving
-Gilgamesh (Tower of Druaga)
-Rathalos Armour
-Blademaster Armour

I'm not sure if there are any other missing Capcom Mii costumes.

I figure that at least two of the three Namco-Bandai Mii costumes are going to return - my guess is that one of those two (Lloyd or Heihachi) is going to get promoted to playable status, while the other one (and Gilgamesh) are going to be brought back as Mii costumes alongside them. Then again, I also figured that we'd have another Namco-Bandai character by now, and that hasn't happened yet.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Only less then 48 hours away. Looking forward to what character could be speculated next once the ARMS character is revealed.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Monster Hunter ones are just armour, aren't they? I'm not overly familiar with Monster Hunter, but I've read that a big part of the game is crafting armour from the monsters that you beat, so it seems like there would be other options beyond the two that were Smash 4 DLC.

I'm not sure about all of the ones that didn't make it back, but looking through the list, the ones that stick out are...

-Chocobo Hat
-Geno
-Heihachi
-Lloyd Irving
-Gilgamesh (Tower of Druaga)
-Rathalos Armour
-Blademaster Armour

I'm not sure if there are any other missing Capcom Mii costumes.

I figure that at least two of the three Namco-Bandai Mii costumes are going to return - my guess is that one of those two (Lloyd or Heihachi) is going to get promoted to playable status, while the other one (and Gilgamesh) are going to be brought back as Mii costumes alongside them. Then again, I also figured that we'd have another Namco-Bandai character by now, and that hasn't happened yet.
They could also easily Mii Costume both of them. I think that NB might want to stick with just PAC-MAN.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Man I'd love an actual Monster Hunter character over the player insert in an armour set, someone like the Ace Commander from MH4U would be great.

I'm also hoping Hollow Knight gets a costume, tried it for the first time recently and it's an awesome game which could easily be a music track + Mii Swordfighter costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom