• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Mario like Pokemon getting lot of representation makes sense for the same reasons. Its one of Nintendo's most iconic franchises with Mario himself not just the mascot of Nintendo but the face of gaming itself alone.

Given rumors of an Paper Mario game going back to its original routes and the upcoming anniversary is an promotion that could possibility happen adding Paper Mario into the game.

One could also expect an BotW2 character being added as means of promotion as well.

Gen 8 Pokemon doesn't need any of that being the biggest media franchise ever and this is one I don't see Nintendo passing up. As I mentioned since Pokemon has nearly 900 Pokemon and only a few Gen 8 Pokemon were used this still leaves the Gen 8 final starters, Urshifu and Toxtricity still in the running.

Run from it.

Dread from it.

You all know an Gen 8 Pokemon is coming.

Season Pass 2 I feel is gonna have an few promotional 1st party picks especially given Nintendo has been choosing.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That analogy wasnt saying the series themselves were in line for ice cream, but the fans of said franchises or series.

My point was that, sure, you can want a 10th Mario character, but just realize that the guy who wanted Phoenix Wright doesn’t have any yet. That’s likely a reason as to why certain potential passes that include mostly Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda (or Fire Emblem) get the responses they do. They have a substantial amount of content already in Smash, whereas series such as the ones I listed, don’t.

That’s not to say those series don’t have good options. They’re all quality series and among my favorites. But I don’t think it should be surprising when people aren’t excited by the idea of putting more characters in when the series they originate from takes up so much of the game already.

Before anybody says it, “They’re big enough to warrant it” is great, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s boring. Smash Ultimate is built up as this large crossover, and you tell fans we’re getting 6 picks, and then...half of them are from the series that have the most content in Smash? There’s the reaction to Byleth, and then I’d say the reaction to that has the potential to be underwhelming as well.

Granted, I think the discussions can be quite nuanced, because it really isn’t simple to put it as “1st party” and “3rd party” as if all in either “category” have the same levels of appeal to one another in the first place.
Yeah, I mean... I know, I'm the guy who wants Phoenix (and others, of course) way more than another Mario character. But I'm very open to the possibility that we might get a first party in "his place". And that I might be disappointed in said first party. That's pretty much what happened to me when we got PP and Byleth.

At the core of your Jonespost, I do get what you're saying - I suppose I'm just tired of seeing the same people whine whenever people bring first parties along in the discussion for DLC (particularly ironic since I remember most of them supporting the Three Houses characters). Surely there's options out there that can satisfy both people wanting first parties and people wanting new franchises? I don't think a pick needs to be exclusively one or the other in order to be hype.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So uh, any interesting leaks lately? Or bits of information that may point toward a character or two?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You just claimed that Nintendo needs to do a better job of advertising their smaller IPs, only to say that it's no surprise that ARMS wasn't exciting because a lot of people ignored it.

People ignoring certain franchises is kind of why Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun are in the position they're in right now. People say they'd love to get a new entry from either of those series, but will enough people actually commit? It's not as simple as, "Make new game, watch the cash flow in".

ARMS should probably be in the same boat as other dropped franchises, but for whatever reason Nintendo hasn't given up on it yet. Isn't that what you wanted them to do? Not give up prematurely?
Yes, can you point out where I'm wrong? Because I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that convincing more people to buy Game X would make people become fans of Game X and be excited at more Game X. It's how Fire Emblem didn't die, Nintendo remembered they had a marketing team and pushed the hell out of Awakening's strengths, now Fire Emblem is alive and well while getting to be higher up on Nintendo's priority list than say, Kirby.

Again, which is why marketing is essential. Dark Dawn barely got advertised right? Dark Dawn also flopped despite the previous entries selling millions.

Exactly, and my issue with the ARMS character is 3 months of Guess Who as I've stated multiple times that you can make a moveset from that game really fun in Smash, both before Ultimate came out and after we got the confirmation of ARMS. I don't get it, you seem surprised that poorly marketed games generally don't sell well

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ARMS sold really well for a first time IP.

Even if people were lukewarm on the IP, financially its in a great position.

ARMS has not yet had a history of poor sales (like Rhythm Heaven) or a huge decline in sales and critical reception ( like Golden Sun). ARMS is in a significantly better spot than most unrepresented IPs.

I know people like to ***** about how "ARMS got abandoned" but it simply isn't true. It just got finished and the team needed to move on. Sales did so well that the developers even threw in a bonus. Springtron wasn't originally in the project plan, but developers decided to make him playable due to high sales. I know that claim may seem a bit suspect, so here's a source. https://www.famitsu.com/news/201803/16153785.html

ARMS was a success. Nintendo do not, and should not have any reason to abandon the IP. So please stop acting like its a failure or something. This ain't Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Bless that game).

That said, ARMS is rad ya'll. Super fun stuff!

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honestly, I think a Zelda newcomer would go over well due to the lack of newcomers since... Brawl.

But also not Brawl...

Point being, people think a Zelda newcomer is warranted.
Possibly Kirby too since it also hasn’t gotten a rep since Brawl, albeit maybe not to the degree of Zelda since all 3 of the current ones are unique and not alternate versions of each other.

I get the slight disdain towards Mario, Pokemon, and FE since those are the top 3 in terms of character numbers and have all gotten a character in Ultimate (with Mario and FE getting 2 already)

But a new Zelda or Kirby rep in general wouldn’t necessarily be met with criticism imo

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Possibly Kirby too since it also hasn’t gotten a rep, albeit not to the degree of Zelda since all 3 of the current ones are unique and not alternate versions of each other.

I get the slight disdain towards Mario, Pokemon, and FE since those are the top 3 in terms of character numbers and have all gotten a character in Ultimate (with Mario and FE getting 2 already)

But a new Zelda or Kirby rep in general wouldn’t necessarily be met with criticism imo
I agree, but Jones didn't say anything about Kirby. :4larry:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The number of third-parties is almost limitless. There's no way we'll ever satisfy everyone, and even if Sakurai added mostly third-parties from now on, there's always going to be that one franchise that, "definitely deserves to be in Smash because it doesn't have anything yet".

That's sort of why I feel like first-parties are starting to get overlooked by fans. Sakurai will never truly stop adding them altogether, and yet some of the reasons people have for why certain characters shouldn't get in feels a little unreasonable. The franchise is already on the roster, they're not as big as the third-party I think we'll get — stuff like this.

Yeah, Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda have been involved with Smash since the very beginning, but they're still very popular franchises regardless. I know everyone has a different idea as to which character should be added for each of these series, but to dismiss them altogether because they're not the unrepped third-party franchise that Sakurai never promised to give us?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
From the creators of "this character can't be in because it has no moveset potential" comes the long awaited sequel "this character can't be in because it has too much potential"
To be honest, I could see something like this happening

Depending on the character, I think the amount of potential could actually go against them, perhaps because translating the moveset would be too difficult at the moment, or perhaps the moveset would take too much budget for not enough payoff. Remember that balance has to be taken into account, and if a character would be hard to balance, there's a chance another character that has their own merits could be chosen instead if they are easier to implement

There's also a thing where I think the Potential has 2 types. Conceptual potential and varietal potential. Conceptual potential is where a character on concept alone is very unique enough to rely just on their concept. I think a character like Rayman and ARMS are like this.

Varietal Potential is that while on concept, they might have similiarites with the cast, the amount of variety they can pull Allows them to shine. Dante and Sora are good examples of this, along with Hero and Terry for Playable Examples.

The problem with Conceptial potential is if the concept itself can't be translated to smash or would have a hard time being implemented that could kill a character.

The problem with Varietal Potential is that if is the Variety deemed necessary, does the character need to rely on the variety of their potential, and if the variety could be implemented well. For my personal feelings, Why i kind of doubt Dante is because i think he relies a lot on Variteal Potential more than his Conceptual. He's simliar to Bayo and perhaps Joker too in concept, and we see that especially with Bayo, a Character that relies on combos is very hard to balance around, and the fact that Dante primarily uses a Sword makes the problem even worse. Dante has stuff like Style change, Devil Trigger, and his other Sub weapons. If the Only the Style Switch and Devil Trigger are the only things deemed necessary, there is thought that that may be too basic for Dante (which I'm the opinion that it is.), but if you want to add in his other weapons that can turn Dante into a developmental nightmare in terms of time and balance.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah, I mean... I know, I'm the guy who wants Phoenix (and others, of course) way more than another Mario character. But I'm very open to the possibility that we might get a first party in "his place". And that I might be disappointed in said first party. That's pretty much what happened to me when we got PP and Byleth.

At the core of your Jonespost, I do get what you're saying - I suppose I'm just tired of seeing the same people whine whenever people bring first parties along in the discussion for DLC (particularly ironic since I remember most of them supporting the Three Houses characters). Surely there's options out there that can satisfy both people wanting first parties and people wanting new franchises? I don't think a pick needs to be exclusively one or the other in order to be hype.
In terms of appeal, I think it’s complicated in the sense that folks approach speculation in different ways. At least for me, I definitely look at things in the lens of:

1) What does DLC in the past tell us?
2) What does DLC present tell us or hint at?
3) What makes current picks appealing?

There are other points, but I’ll use Bandanna Waddle Dee as an example. Lately there’s been Twitter controversy over the pick, because one side argues “Fire Emblem has 8, why can’t Kirby have 4?”, “Bandanna Dee can do stuff” and while those points may convince some, its not as convincing for folks who aren’t impressed by the gameplay potential or “importance” factor.

Perhaps the discourse to create a more inclusive environment requires thinning out of the box? Then again, Resident Evil just needed me to write, “Resident Evil, known as Biohazard in Japan” 3,000 times to become a fanbase sensation.
bro who the **** CARES is someone is the protag or not
This point is mainly based on the fact that every new series, in the entirety of Smash history, brought in the protagonist or mascot of the series as the first pick. Among 36 series (32 ish if you remove Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B, and Game & Watch), it has happened every single time.

It shouldn’t be seen as, like, a thing that will never not happen, but it’s not really something that should be discarded either.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
bro who the **** CARES is someone is the protag or not
I agree to an extent, but it does have a purpose.

When choosing the first character, the person who you use to playthrough the game generally gives an idea of what the game is about. So channeling the gameplay through that character specifically feels like a good representation of the game.

...Sometimes there's no specific protagonist either(ARMS doesn't have this till the comics due to the story being open-ended outside of having a specific Villain). Or the protagonist isn't plausible(like Pokemon Trainer till Brawl). In one case Sakurai couldn't think of how to make the protagonist work yet(Villager).

I'm not saying it's the best method either, but I can understand why people think it happens more often than a mascot alone. It's for an actual reason. I agree that pushing it this much feels a bit too gatekeeping, though. Having confidence isn't the same as shutting down other options, heh. You can clearly tell the difference between the two.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Run from it.

Dread from it.

You all know an Gen 8 Pokemon is coming.
Eh, you're notoriously known as the most gullible person in this forum, so whenever you say something's coming, I can rest easy knowing it isn't. :p/s

Point being, people think a Zelda newcomer is warranted.
I've always given out the idea of the Monk bonus boss from the Breath of the Wild DLC. If I see another Link, Zelda, or even a Ganon, I'll just be disappointed for the next 10 years again.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't get why people considers ARMS a failure. It sold very decently for a new IP. If you're asking for each new IP to sell like Splatoon then you will be disappointed because most of new IPs usually aren't that beneficial. If anything Splatoon is the exception not the rule.

The number of third-parties is almost limitless. There's no way we'll ever satisfy everyone, and even if Sakurai added mostly third-parties from now on, there's always going to be that one franchise that, "definitely deserves to be in Smash because it doesn't have anything yet".
To be fair you can apply that to first parties as well. Even if the number of options is a lot smaller, not all the requested characters will be included and therefore, not everyone will be satisfied.

The deserving thing is just another argument, I think. Some people will consider that X series deserves to be in Smash while others not. In the end, arguing about who deserves to be in Smash and who doesn't is just pointless in my opinion. We're talking about fictional series and characters, and while each series has it's merits, this isn't a competition.
And even if it was, it doesn't matter because that's just how we perceive all of this. Sakurai isn't doing tourneys in his mind where the winner ends being included in Smash.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Eh, you're notoriously known as the most gullible person in this forum, so whenever you say something's coming, I can rest easy knowing it isn't. :p/s
They did Fire Emblem with Byleth, then I'm certain they'll be doing the same for Pokemon VIII.

You know given Pokemon is the most profitable franchise and Nintendo's biggest franchise. They aren't missing out on this oppotunity.

Also Noipoi and I predicted the Stage Builder theory that had an witch and dragon stages which foreshadowed:ultbanjokazooie:and:ulthero:

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
But if our focus shifts to just adding new franchises, then what does that leave us with for first-parties? Mainly a bunch of really small franchises that don't have the same support as the larger ones.

It wouldn't matter if BotW 2 had this really cool character that would be perfect for Smash. We have plenty of Zelda content. Doesn't matter if there's this new Pokemon/FE/XC character we really want in the next Smash game. All three are already on the roster, so that would be a let down. At this point, we've made the franchise more important than the character themselves.

I feel like if this is the stance people are going to take, they would be better off just saying, "Let's stick with third-parties from now on", because the number of notable franchises left to add is only getting smaller and smaller. Not that I genuinely believe the whole issue stems from wanting only unrepped franchises. ARMS had no characters, no stages, and no music, and yet the response ranged from somewhat positive to neutral.
I feel like, as usual, you're ignoring the context of ARMS getting in and specifically how many people aren't particularly enthusiastic about Spring Man specifically. Like, plenty of people said "At least ARMS is a new franchise" when it got announced for Challenger Pack 6, but that doesn't have to mean people absolutely love it as a pick, especially considering ARMS itself is kind of a divisive new franchise compared to basically all of Nintendo's other major new franchises in the Switch era, people tend to love it or hate it, and of the people who love it, several don't find Spring Man super compelling, so yes, it's still going to get criticism despite being a new franchise.

Also, people just like a bunch of third party franchises and Smash is in the unique situation to cross over with several of them. You won't make everyone happy which is and never has been the goal of literally any product produced in human history, but you can still make lots of people happy with additions that can broadly appeal to people. Like, do you really find it so hard to believe that several Smash fans are just interested in some beloved franchises from around gaming over some newer first party options and don't really care about deepening the roster in already heavily represented franchises?

They did Fire Emblem with Byleth, then I'm certain they'll be doing the same for Pokemon VIII.

You know given Pokemon is the most profitable franchise and Nintendo's biggest franchise. They aren't missing out on this oppotunity.
They did for Smash 4 though, so this is hardly some guarantee of something that absolutely has to happen (and Ultimate even brought back 3 old Pokemon in addition to adding Incineroar already, so it's not like TPC is hurting for content in Smash).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Some people will consider that X series deserves to be in Smash while others not.
I don't think the X series deserves to be in Smash.

I know it has two tracks but c'mon. Way too obscure. :troll:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In terms of appeal, I think it’s complicated in the sense that folks approach speculation in different ways. At least for me, I definitely look at things in the lens of:

1) What does DLC in the past tell us?
2) What does DLC present tell us or hint at?
3) What makes current picks appealing?

There are other points, but I’ll use Bandanna Waddle Dee as an example. Lately there’s been Twitter controversy over the pick, because one side argues “Fire Emblem has 8, why can’t Kirby have 4?”, “Bandanna Dee can do stuff” and while those points may convince some, its not as convincing for folks who aren’t impressed by the gameplay potential or “importance” factor.

Perhaps the discourse to create a more inclusive environment requires thinning out of the box? Then again, Resident Evil just needed me to write, “Resident Evil, known as Biohazard in Japan” 3,000 times to become a fanbase sensation.
True. It's a similar reasoning to why it took actually playing Isaac in Smash Flash 2 to get convinced of his potential, or actually playing Advance Wars to start cheering for Andy.

Tbh, that might be one of the reasons why I'm glad we're getting ARMS as DLC - before that, our three first party DLC newcomers were FE character #7 and #8 and Mario character #9. Sure, not everyone has the same chance, but at least it shows Nintendo is willing to showcase a new franchise as DLC, even if they're not the "shiny new thing" or one of their best sellers, at least.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sakurai did say he didn't just want heroes/heroines in Smash when he was asked about Piranha Plant and even cited characters like Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt Dog as other examples. So I think the ARMS fighter is someone Sakurai wants to use that isn't a main hero.

I think it's either Max Brass or Dr Coyle. The latter of whom would be the first Unique female villain in the series.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

We won't know until the future, not everything is incredibly predictable. If you're legitimately trying to snipe out Nintendo's choices based on previous actions alone, you might as well join the rest of the hypeman youtube speculation crew.

Sakurai did say he didn't just want just heroes/heroines in Smash when he was asked about Piranha Plant and even cited characters like Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt Dog as other examples. So I think the ARMS fighter is someone Sakurai wants to use that isn't a main hero.

I think it's either Max Brass or Dr Coyle. The latter of whom would be the first Unique female villain in the series.
All this Helix disrespect. :drsad:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Given rumors of an Paper Mario game going back to its original routes and the upcoming anniversary is an promotion that could possibility happen adding Paper Mario into the game.

Season Pass 2 I feel is gonna have an few promotional 1st party picks especially given Nintendo has been choosing.
I think that's pretty much the consensus, the only contention is how many is "few" in Nintendo's eyes.

I'm seriously banking on that Paper Mario rumour to be real, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Honestly I just want more music from the Mario RPGs in Smash. I don't care if the character is Mallow, Fawful or Mr L. Just give me more of that god tier OST so I have reason to play on that Paper Mario stage without listening to "Blue Skies, White Clouds" ad infinitum.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai did say he didn't just want just heroes/heroines in Smash when he was asked about Piranha Plant and even cited characters like Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt Dog as other examples. So I think the ARMS fighter is someone Sakurai wants to use that isn't a main hero.
Just because he said that about some characters doesn't mean he intends for that to be applied to an ARMS character.

That aside, Sakurai didn't pick the ARMS character.

Nintendo did.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
They did for Smash 4 though, so this is hardly some guarantee of something that absolutely has to happen (and Ultimate even brought back 3 old Pokemon in addition to adding Incineroar already, so it's not like TPC is hurting for content in Smash).
Reminder.

Base::ultchrom:

DLC::ultbyleth:

Also being Nintendo's most popular franchise and most profitable media franchise, adding more content from it means more money for them.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think that's pretty much the consensus, the only contention is how many is "few" in Nintendo's eyes.

I'm seriously banking on that Paper Mario rumour to be real, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Honestly I just want more music from the Mario RPGs in Smash. I don't care if the character is Mallow, Fawful or Mr L. Just give me more of that god tier OST so I have reason to play on that Paper Mario stage without listening to "Blue Skies, White Clouds" ad infinitum.
I mean... there are more Paper Mario and especially Mario & Luigi tracks already in Smash.

I don't know why you're only playing one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like, as usual, you're ignoring the context of ARMS getting in and specifically how many people aren't particularly enthusiastic about Spring Man specifically. Like, plenty of people said "At least ARMS is a new franchise" when it got announced for Challenger Pack 6, but that doesn't have to mean people absolutely love it as a pick, especially considering ARMS itself is kind of a divisive new franchise compared to basically all of Nintendo's other major new franchises in the Switch era, people tend to love it or hate it, and of the people who love it, several don't find Spring Man super compelling, so yes, it's still going to get criticism despite being a new franchise.

Also, people just like a bunch of third party franchises and Smash is in the unique situation to cross over with several of them. You won't make everyone happy which is and never has been the goal of literally any product produced in human history, but you can still make lots of people happy with additions that can broadly appeal to people. Like, do you really find it so hard to believe that several Smash fans are just interested in some beloved franchises from around gaming over some newer first party options and don't really care about deepening the roster in already heavily represented franchises?

Choose what you want to believe, but I don't believe sticking to new franchises and adding unrepped series to the roster is the best way to approach things, especially if we're talking about first-parties. Even if we only add new franchises that have been better received than ARMS (which is gonna be tough, because a lot of these franchises have remained small for a reason) I'm very skeptical that people would be pleased with that kind of pass.

Seriously, I don't think the fanbase would go into a violent rage if Sakurai chose to add a new Zelda character despite the series having PLENTY of other forms of representation.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A clone and a promotion pick for Fire Emblem, what else is new? :dr^_^:
I mean I'm just saying.

Adding more content of most profitable media franchise and Nintendo's most popular franchise = More money.

More the reason I think they won't be missing out on this.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Everyone does for any FCG, really, but I guess trailers after the reveal kinda spoil the hype a little bit.
There's still a few holdovers like Soul Calibur and Samurai Shodown but yeah.
It's more just a case of making sure the actual trailer for the character is well edited to make them look hype. MK11 fans knew Spawn was coming for 8+ months and his gameplay reveal was still extremely well received.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You ever kinda just want Nintendo to reveal everything at once?

I don’t know, kinda random thought.
When it comes to Smash, I really don't. Kinda goes without saying for someone who's been part of this for so long, but the trip is such an exciting part of it, a lot of characters have kinda taken on a life of their own in the speculation scene because of the way reveals are staggered. I understand why some would want to know everything at once, especially when it comes to DLC passes, but for me characters' inclusions can end up being much more meaningful if they're given the right amount of time to simmer. Also, it doesn't give each character their own time to shine, a character like Joker likely wouldn't have been celebrated as much as he deserved had the rest of the Pass been revealed with him, Banjo in particular would draw so much attention away from the others.

Also, great to see you again Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , even if it's just a short visit.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

That would only make the wait worse, since you’d likely forget s9me characters were even DLC before they’re even released. Plus, with Sakurai wanting to take his time with the content, revealing everything at once would show half-baked models of characters whose movesets would likely still be in development.

TL;DR This is mainly just me, but I have no problem with one reveal at a time. It makes it feel more like the surprise a character of joining Smash feels genuine and that there will be more on the way eventually.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As heated as things often get, I wouldn't want Nintendo to reveal everything at once. Even if my most wanted characters aren't in the game, at least I can enjoy speculating with others who want them too.

If Nintendo just revealed everything, the next year and a half would be really boring. We'd be stuck talking about only six characters and release dates.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I don't know; on one hand, it would be great to have all of this uncertainty out of the way. The guessing game for ARMS is bad enough - I can't imagine how frustrating it would be if they kept doing stuff like this, like saying "the seventh Fighters Pass character is... from Capcom! More information will be revealed at a later date." (this fandom would break into a civil war if that happened)

On the other hand, having to wait until the end of 2021 (possibly later, if there are any delays) for the last character, especially if it's one that I've been really looking forward to, would be rough, especially if it's one of the few (or the only one) from the pass that I'm interested in.

Also, I feel like one or two characters would heavily overshadow the others - the announcements of Terry and Byleth were overshadowed (among some parts of the fanbase, at least) by Mii costumes, for crying out loud. I could see it being frustrating to want someone like Isaac from Golden Sun in Smash for years, maybe even a decade or more, only for them to be treated as an afterthought by most people because Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot got revealed as well. (any of those choices would be great; I'm just using them as examples)

I can see both sides of that, and I'm torn on which one I'd prefer.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My Nintendo Pass:

Spring Man
Isaac
Takamaru
Saki
Krystal
Waluigi

all assist trophies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As boring as things might get I'd rather they reveal once in an while. It makes things more fun such as discussing who could get in and be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom