• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Imagine this being the Season 2 Pass.

Spring Man
Paper Mario
Sylux
Gen 8 Pokemon
Rex
Waluigi
Spring Man's a huge letdown after 3 months of Guess Who

Mario Again is as exciting as Young Link returning, which is to say, not very exciting compared to what else you can get from the same franchise, though Young Link has the excuse of being a veteran made in 5 minutes

I like Sylux but they need to get that payoff we've been getting over the last 15 years

I ****ing hate it when people do this so much, it assumes the question is yes or no when it's a maybe. Are there some Gen 8 Pokemon I'd like to see playable? Absolutely, but I'm not a fan of all of them, so if we get Pinkurchin or whatever it's called, I won't be excited, nor will anyone, but people see 'gen 8 mon' and assume it may refer to their favourites. TLDR it depends on which one they go for

I would rather hit my Switch with a sledgehammer

Eh.

All in all, 1/6 at best, at worst, a waste of money

Goombaic

Smash Ace
After looking at the responses to this pass, I'm doubling down on my opinion that giving us four third-parties at once was a mistake.

In all honesty, this isn't a very bad lineup of characters, and this actually feels like a very realistic set of base roster newcomers. Had this been the first pass, I think a lot of people would've been happy with it. We have Waluigi and Rex, who are extremely popular in the West and Japan respectively, Spring Man, who comes from a new IP, and Paper Mario, a decently popular character with loads of moveset potential. I can understand why Sylux and Gen 8 Pokemon may not be exciting, but it's not like their presence ruins the whole pass. If the first pass can survive with Byleth, this pass should survive with these two.

Four out of five characters from the first pass were rarely brought up at all, and it still ended up being a success to most people. This list has quite a few characters who are brought up regularly, but it's no good because it's too "safe"? If that's true, then we're reaching a point where people won't be satisfied unless third-parties who are rarely mentioned make up a majority of the selection.
Or maybe some people just don't like this line-up. Some people hate Rex, a lot of people hate Gen 8, Paper Mario and Waluigi are from the same series, Sylux isn't much of a character yet to form a fair opinion on, and some people prefer other ARMS characters.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If you want an actual breakdown on the proposed pass in the context of this thread then:

- Spring Man - Not the most popular character going by the thread poll, plenty here weren't enthralled by Arms either
- Paper Mario - Some people here aren't particularly enthralled by the idea of getting a third Mario and recent titles weren't exactly super well received
- Sylux - How many people here actually give a **** about him?
- Rex - XC2 is divisive here and Rex is a part of why
- Unspecified Gen 8 Pokemon - It's unspecified. Is it store brand Sif? Is it Grimmsnarl? Is it another fire starter? Is it another Humanoid Pokemon that practises a particular fighting style? Is it an oddball pick? Kinda hard to be excited for this when it could be any of nearly a 100 picks with plenty that'd be lame. Even then, plenty here don't like Gen 8 for numerous reasons. This just keeps getting more divisive the more you dig into it
- Waluigi - I don't think I need to explain how or why he's divisive here

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean to me, the big issue was that most of the choices on the hypothetical pass sucked in general. Like it doesn't matter if the pass is mostly first party or mostly third party, I'm not getting excited for ****ing Sylux lmao.
That's fair, but that also contradicts another popular way of thinking that this thread loves to promote.

"That's all subjective. You can't say one character is 'more hype' than another because that's something that differs from person to person."

People used this perspective to defend characters like Terry and Byleth whenever someone claims that they didn't deserve to get in Smash over someone else. If that's true, then why do so many people accept the idea that third-parties are objectively better than first-parties? Clearly it's a matter of those characters not being who they wanted, and yet I see plenty of people defending third-parties who they've admitted to not being interested in on several occasions.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I'm saying getting them all at once was a mistake because there's this new attitude where a majority of the first-party characters who normally would've been at least somewhat exciting to folks prior to the first pass are now "too safe".

And you're really overselling the DLC. I could just as easily do the same with any character. "You think getting a character from the best and most successful game in one of Nintendo's most profitable franchises was a mistake!?" (Byleth).
So what? A number of nondescript fans have some skewed perspective that Nintendo inadvertently propagated, and that's justification for saying the ENTIRE pass should've never happened the way it did? And buddy, I'm really NOT overselling the pass, Joker WAS from a defining JRPG of the decade, Hero IS the primary entity responsible for JRPGS as we know them today, Terry IS from a corporation whose titles MASSIVELY impacted the fighting game scene. You have to accept that there's some Earth-shattering potential character additions Nintendo simply doesn't have access to without third-party collaboration, as big as Nintendo games like Three Houses are.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's fair, but that also contradicts another popular way of thinking that this thread loves to promote.

"That's all subjective. You can't say one character is 'more hype' than another because that's something that differs from person to person."

People used this perspective to defend characters like Terry and Byleth whenever someone claims that they didn't deserve to get in Smash over someone else. If that's true, then why do so many people accept the idea that third-parties are objectively better than first-parties? Clearly it's a matter of those characters not being who they wanted, and yet I see plenty of people defending third-parties who they've admitted to not being interested in on several occasions.
I mean, trying to say a character doesn't 'deserve' a spot is very different from saying you wouldn't be excited. Especially when one of your examples is from the company that gave Sakurai the idea of Smash in the first place

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
I kind of feel like the fighter chosen for each fighter pass will be a significant figure to represent a series or game. The issue with Waluigi is... He doesn't do that. He's a side character that isn't a representative of any particular game or series. Now, I like Waluigi and would be happy to see him in Smash, but he doesn't seem like DLC material. What stage would he come with? What music? What Spirits?

The Challenger pack is one solid picture of something. Banjo & Kazooie came with a stage featuring a bunch of characters from the series, and music, and Spirits. The whole pack was "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × Banjo-Kazooie"

Remember that. Each pack is seemingly designed as a crossover with a certain series or game. Not just a single fighter.
I think Waluigi can be a bonus fighter. This year its 35th Mario anniversary so... "Ey, Waluigi will be a free character this 2020. After all, he will be pay, ala piranha plant. He will come alone, no music, no stage, no spirits"

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
After looking at the responses to this pass, I'm doubling down on my opinion that giving us four third-parties at once was a mistake.

In all honesty, this isn't a very bad lineup of characters, and this actually feels like a very realistic set of base roster newcomers. Had this been the first pass, I think a lot of people would've been happy with it. We have Waluigi and Rex, who are extremely popular in the West and Japan respectively, Spring Man, who comes from a new IP, and Paper Mario, a decently popular character with loads of moveset potential. I can understand why Sylux and Gen 8 Pokemon may not be exciting, but it's not like their presence ruins the whole pass. If the first pass can survive with Byleth, this pass should survive with these two.

Four out of five characters from the first pass were rarely brought up at all, and it still ended up being a success to most people. This list has quite a few characters who are brought up regularly, but it's no good because it's too "safe"? If that's true, then we're reaching a point where people won't be satisfied unless third-parties who are rarely mentioned make up a majority of the selection.
Let's see:
  1. Two additional Mario characters that makes for a total of 3 DLC Mario characters with Plant, and 4 total newcomers in Ultimate, one of which would be our third Mario.
  2. A mascot character that half the fan base of ARMS like less than several other options, with ARMS also having trouble to keep people invested in the first place.
  3. A Metroid character that has never done much of anything other than exist.
  4. An 11th Pokemon after Pokemon got a newcomer in the base game and tons of content from Gen VII.
  5. Rex, who himself occasionally ends up less popular than surrounding options.
Nope, nothing wrong with this lineup at all or that leaves people disappointed with the additions even from a first party only context.

Seriously, plenty of fans speak to the values of Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure as new and successful IPs, will give nods to Min Min being a more popular ARMS rep than Spring Man that they're more interested in, want to see non represented IPs like Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven in the game, and love popular options like Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong to round out existing rosters... but this in particular is a rough list because it means that almost half of our DLC picks were already giving the most represented franchises even more content and it doesn't even particularly cover a lot of people's desired first parties outside of Rex and Waluigi.

Don't take people being disappointed in what is a fairly standard first party lineup compared to what you could do even with JUST first parties and use it to get on your anti third party soapbox.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

How are my own feelings on the proposed pass a contradiction? When I say something sucks, that's inherently subjective.

Like I said, showing me a pass with a placeholder who could end up being a dud, a character I dislike from a design perspective, Mario but a third time, and "I swear he'll be important some day" isn't going to make me hyped. I never said you couldn't be excited over it. I just find those choices to be awful. What other people think of it is literally irrelevant to my point. I'm not speaking for them, and never claimed to have been.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Given your last few posts I really don't want to see you insisting you aren't a Nintendo fanboy nor see you wondering where people get that impression from lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I also like how this discussion is happening about how third parties ruined people's expectations to inherently hate Nintendo addittions when I can guarntee that everyone who thought the hypothetical pass sucks can make their own pass exclusively out of Nintendo characters

I.D.

Smash Lord

Just replace all of them with Fire Emblem characters and all the people in the thread ****ting on a hypothetical "too safe" first party pass will be praising it instead.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
My full (and long) thoughts on this topic and speculation as a whole:

Honestly as far as speculation goes this at this point, regardless of if it’s a 1st or 3rd Party, I think it’s going to focus on introducing “new worlds”

ARMS is a new world, but if after all this time they go with Spring Man, the most basic character on the roster, I’m gonna be annoyed. I don’t care if it means we can argue about ATs for the next year, I care about the stuff that’s actually in the game more

Paper Mario would be cool but then I remember it has a stage already so I don’t really think it’s happening

I’m not giving Sylux the time of day until he actually does something important

Rex does make some sense and if a franchise that only had spirits and a costume prior can get a full pack (ARMS), I think XC2 can get one too.

Then again I’m 50/50 on actually hearing Rex’s voice in Smash so maybe another XC2 character or Elma would be nice lol

Gen 8 Pokemon depends on who it actually is so I can’t give ya an opinion on that because it’s too generic

Waluigi entirely depends on what else he actually brings so if anyone can actually make that argument, go ahead. Otherwise I don’t really care

So I could maybe see a pass like:
-ARMS character
-Rex
-Maybe a Gen 8 Pokemon
- 3 or 4 3rd Parties (Crash, Dante, 2B, Steve, Geno and a bunch of other characters I’m too lazy to list lol)

It might not be the pass everyone wants but I think it’s at least a better follow up to FP2 than all 1st Party

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Then again I’m 50/50 on actually hearing Rex’s voice in Smash so maybe another XC2 character or Elma would be nice lol
To be fair, XB2 simply has laughably ****ty voice direction, Rex's voice would be more tolerable solely because bad voice direction in Smash is a rarity, Cameron Clarke's performance as Corrin being the only notable example of bad VA direction in Smash

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
If you want an actual breakdown on the proposed pass in the context of this thread then:

- Spring Man - Not the most popular character going by the thread poll, plenty here weren't enthralled by Arms either
- Paper Mario - Some people here aren't particularly enthralled by the idea of getting a third Mario and recent titles weren't exactly super well received
- Sylux - How many people here actually give a **** about him?
- Rex - XC2 is divisive here and Rex is a part of why
- Unspecified Gen 8 Pokemon - It's unspecified. Is it store brand Sif? Is it Grimmsnarl? Is it another fire starter? Is it another Humanoid Pokemon that practises a particular fighting style? Is it an oddball pick? Kinda hard to be excited for this when it could be any of nearly a 100 picks with plenty that'd be lame. Even then, plenty here don't like Gen 8 for numerous reasons. This just keeps getting more divisive the more you dig into it
- Waluigi - I don't think I need to explain how or why he's divisive here
Another issue here is that aside from Springo, all of these choices come from franchises that are already represented in Smash. Even ignoring potentially more exciting third party choices, you're really gonna convince me that a lineup with nothing new to offer in terms of playable worlds would be more exciting than something like Astral Chain or Ring Fit making it in? Even if they aren't third parties, they'd at least offer something new in terms of aesthetics, gameplay style, and content. I don't even hate the prospect of getting another Mario or Pokemon character, but no way in hell are most people going to be more excited for Pokemon Rep #11 when Crash Bandicoot or Dante from the Devil May Cry series are on the table

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I made this Ninendo-only Fighter's Pass awhile ago, I wonder if people would prefer it to the other one we've been talking about.
nintendofp.PNG

throw Min Min in for the ARMS character.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
To be fair, XB2 simply has laughably ****ty voice direction, Rex's voice would be more tolerable solely because bad voice direction in Smash is a rarity, Cameron Clarke's performance as Corrin being the only notable example of bad VA direction in Smash
Fair point.

Could definitely be better in Smash. But also I have Rex screams stuck in my head rn so that’s probably why I’m hesitant lol

Also please don’t remind me of :ultcorrin: voice lol

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I also like how this discussion is happening about how third parties ruined people's expectations to inherently hate Nintendo addittions when I can guarntee that everyone who thought the hypothetical pass sucks can make their own pass exclusively out of Nintendo characters
This is incredibly easy to do

Dr Coyle
Officer Howard
Ring Fit Trainer
Grimmsnarl
Melia
Urbosa

None of that dreaded Fire Emblem either lol

Another issue here is that aside from Springo, all of these choices come from franchises that are already represented in Smash. Even ignoring potentially more exciting third party choices, you're really gonna convince me that a lineup with nothing new to offer in terms of playable worlds would be more exciting than something like Astral Chain or Ring Fit making it in? Even if they aren't third parties, they'd at least offer something new in terms of aesthetics, gameplay style, and content. I don't even hate the prospect of getting another Mario or Pokemon character, but no way in hell are most people going to be more excited for Pokemon Rep #11 when Crash Bandicoot or Dante from the Devil May Cry series are on the table
I think with Pokemon you can argue that Galar would be new in the same way Fodlan from Three Houses is a new world but yeah, it's not too terribly exciting.
I wouldn't mind Galar, I liked SwSh more than most despite all the issues about it. It's just that there's a strong chance of them picking a Pokemon that I don't care for from that selection

ZelDan

Smash Master
If I were to make a first party pass:

1. ARMS rep (because duh already confirmed, don't really have much preference of one character over another)
2. Isaac (my most wanted and has strong fan demand behind him)
3. Dixie Kong (other most wanted first party, and is a baffling omission in general)
4. Xenoblade rep (I'd prefer Elma but I know Rex is popular)
5. Zelda rep (My preference being Impa. Maybe we'd get a BotW2 rep?)
6. Waluigi (because he's popular as heck)

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
All of the third-parties I actually want at this point are unlikely to happen anyway.

Then again, there are only a handful of Nintendo characters I still really want as well.

I'll welcome more newcomers any day, but I'm quite satisfied with the roster as it is. Already felt that way even before any of it's newcomers were announced. I've gotten a good chunk of newcomers who I really wanted.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All I'm trying to say is that people are quick to throw the first-parties who they aren't intrested in under the bus while third-parties are given more benefit of the doubt. I feel like I could propose a pass filled with divisive third-parties who very few people take seriously (Bubsy, Katalina, etc.) and people would still unironically find ways to explain why they could turn out okay.

Laugh and label me as a fanboy if you want, but my issue isn't with people having personal preferences. Half of the characters on that list aren't even characters I want. My issue is with how dismissive people have gotten with the first-parties who are actually very realistic additions (Spring Man, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Rex, Gen 8 Pokemon).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
All I'm trying to say is that people are quick to throw the first-parties who they aren't intrested in under the bus while third-parties are given more benefit of the doubt. I feel like I could propose a pass filled with divisive third-parties who very few people take seriously (Bubsy, Katalina, etc.) and people would still unironically find ways to explain why they could turn out okay.
No, I think I'd hate a pass with Bubsy and other 3rd Party characters like him just as much as I hated the pass with Sylux and Generic Pokemon #11.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

first party pass
-isaac
-metal mario and pink gold peach (echo fighters of bowser and bowser jr respectively)
-xenoblade chronicles definitive edition for the nintendo switch releasing may 29

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey man, I'm down with first parties as long as they have a sword or sword-like object equipped.
Remember this?
FP2_first_party_no_arms-1.png
Well I've expanded my horizons, and have added an honorable mention who is, get this, a pokemon:
Aegislash FP2 DLC Pass.png

I know, crazy, hold your applause.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Fair point.

Could definitely be better in Smash. But also I have Rex screams stuck in my head rn so that’s probably why I’m hesitant lol

Also please don’t remind me of :ultcorrin: voice lol
Cam Clarke be like
piZap_1570742785101.jpg

Anyway for a Nintendo Only pass that'd I'd personally be excited for...

1: Coyle. If we MUST have an ARMS character I'd prefer the one with the most punky design, not to mention the idea of a character who fights by basically being a Belmont but with Peach's float sounds pretty fun

2: Melia, I love her, Smash is lacking in magic fighters, Starlight Kick would be funny and hype due to the endlag animation of the original attack alongside being devastating

3: Wonder Red. I'm a toku weeb, so the Super Sentai already appeals to me, not to mention it's an underrated gem that I've already bought 3 copies of.

4: Susie, Robobot's the best Kirby game and another mech fighter would be cool, I get the idea she'd basically be her boss fights alongside MvC Tron Bonne, so what's not to love?

5: Edelgard because **** you, 3H was the best game of 2019 and if people and some ideas I've brainstormed for her are cool, alongside being a potential superheavy.

6: Heracross, although I have other generations I'd prefer seeing represented than Johto and how there are other Pokemon I'd prefer, I love fictional beetles, seeing Beetle Kirby or Kragg from Rivals of Aether makes me think this can work really well too

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Wonder how the general public would react to this hypothetical lineup
76. Twintelle
77. Musashi (Sushi Striker)
78. Future Zelda from BotW2
79. Cinderace
80. Arle Nadja
81. FE character announced in conjunction with the game he'll be in and he looks a bit like this

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

Laugh and label me as a fanboy if you want, but my issue isn't with people having personal preferences. Half of the characters on that list aren't even characters I want. My issue is with how dismissive people have gotten with the first-parties who are actually very realistic additions (Spring Man, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Rex, Gen 8 Pokemon).
And what makes you think that pass is realistic? Maybe one of those characters has met the criteria for inclusion, but that doesn't objectively make their inclusion likely. Part of why sensible speculation got damaged with the third-party newcomer streak was because most of them were not anticipated. How can I trust that the next set of characters will go back to normal if so far nothing proves it? What if they add Misango next, specifically because he can be forgettable?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

76. Twintelle
79. Cinderace
80. Arle Nadja
81. FE character announced in conjunction with the game he'll be in and he looks a bit like this
this is scarily specific for a hypothetical

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The thing is, like, an ideal first party only pass for me isn't even hard to make.

First off, I'd straight up keep Springy and Waluigi. So then for four more...

Daruk, Edelgard, Blathers, and Officer Howard. We'd finally get a Goron, I'd get my third favorite Fire Emblem character, Blathers could be a silly beastmaster archetype by going Night at the Museum on people, and Astral Chain is really pretty.

One of those not tickle your fancy? Choices like Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, and even older gen picks from Pokémon (like if they went back to Unova to put in Chandelure) would be great as well. Melia plays a big part in the new Xenoblade expansion, how about her? Maybe Ring Fit is more your thing. You want Falinks? I do too! Wanna go back for older Nintendo IP like Muddy Mole or Mach Rider or Takamaru? I like them too! How about characters from dead franchises like Isaac, Starfy, or Henry Fleming? I'd be totally on board.

There are many ways to make a first party pass not suck. But damn did it feel like that one was specifically engineered to suck.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
the pain never ends
Sorry faygo but if I'm not playing a character who's absolute combo food I'm not having a fun time
76. Twintelle
79. Cinderace
80. Arle Nadja
I'm mixed on Twintelle as she's a tad too fetishized for my tastes, but hey, very visually diverse compared to most Smash characters

I forgot Sushi Striker exists so that should be self-explanatory

Not a fan of Zelda only being allowed to have Triforce wielders, though a unique moveset from regular Zelda could make her cool

Cinderace is eh, could be better, could be worse

Arle's cute, I very much enjoy witches and despite my lack of interest in Puyo Puyo or Madou Monogatari I've always respected Puyo Puyo

That's a dark mage, hell yes. I also get summoner vibes, so being able to summon a fighter mid-battle every now and then could be fun, especially if it's as obnoxious as Jack-O's minions, she's a ***** to fight and I love her for that.

Overall, only one dud, so I'm down for this

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And what makes you think that pass is realistic? Maybe one of those characters has met the criteria for inclusion, but that doesn't objectively make their inclusion likely. Part of why sensible speculation got damaged with the third-party newcomer streak was because most of them were not anticipated. How can I trust that the next set of characters will go back to normal if so far nothing proves it? What if they add Misango next, specifically because he can be forgettable?
A common complaint about this pass was that it was "too safe", which is a nicer way of saying they think it's too predictable and boring. Aside from Sylux, I don't think this is a particularly unrealistic all first-party pass. Unless I'm out of the loop, I think a lot of people have agreed that Waluigi, Rex, and a Gen VIII Pokemon are all likely first-parties. Paper Mario is more divisive, but I doubt anyone would go as far as to say he's unlikely. Then there's Spring Man, who's franchise is already confirmed.

If you don't find this lineup to be realistic, I'm curious to hear what you do find likely.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'd just go with universes that don't have a single playable fighter yet (in no particular order)

1. Max Brass
2. Karate Joe
3. Akira Howard
4. Ring Fit Trainer
5. Takamaru
6. Jill from Drilldozer

I could have been way harsher on that other 1st party list but I'm a hardcore fan of the Mario spinoffs and I'm open to having my mind changed on characters I initially hate or don't care about (which was 2/3 of the pass lmao)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom