• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i voted Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Minmin, Springtron

also i was wondering since a long time ago if there is there a way that we can get the smilies thing for Erdrick, Solo and Eight in Smashboards we just have Luminary
after all we already have :ultalph::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig: smilies.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

also i was wondering since a long time ago if there is there a way that we can get the smilies thing for Erdrick, Solo and Eight in Smashboards we just have Eleven
after all we already have :ultalph::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig: smilies.
We could also use:
-Wedding Mario
-Builder Mario
-Wild Tunic Link
-Crafted Yoshi
-Pikachu Libre
-Nana
-Spiky-Eared Pichu
-Dark Meta Knight
-Galacta Meta Knight
-Overalls Wario
-Radiant Dawn Ike
-Hooded Little Mac
-Wireframe Little Mac
-Hooded Wireframe Little Mac
-Shirtless Shulk
-Advent Children Cloud
-Meta Ridley
-Shujin Joker
-F!Byleth

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

also i was wondering since a long time ago if there is there a way that we can get the smilies thing for Erdrick, Solo and Eight in Smashboards we just have Luminary
We could also use:
-Wedding Mario
-Builder Mario
-Wild Tunic Link
-Crafted Yoshi
-Nana
-Dark Meta Knight
-Galacta Meta Knight
-Overalls Wario
-Radiant Dawn Ike
-Hooded Little Mac
-Wireframe Little Mac
-Shirtless Shulk
-Advent Children Cloud
-Meta Ridley
-Shujin Joker
-F!Byleth
I believe these are made/added by the higher ups within this site, and the similes are a low priority thing in comparison to everything else they do so that's why it takes a while, even for the main skins of a character to be added.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I believe these are made/added by the higher ups within this site, and the similes are a low priority thing in comparison to everything else they do so that's why it takes a while, even for the main skins of a character to be added.
Last time I had an issue with it through Terry not having one even post-release, they told me they didn't even know it was an issue.

There is
:nessecho:

No excuses
Ah, a gentleman and fellow big brain of culture, I see. :nifty: There really is no excuses, they've added more emotes to the "Other" section than with the actual newcomers within the past year.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Uh, guys? Let’s not derail the topic.
Eh, I think the icons make a good topic in itself. Since they're so basic and not specifically oriented for a game, I feel like future titles are going to keep using these simpler ones. Saves a tiny bit of resources to just paste over a :ultmario: than do a quick edit cropping off render heads, don't you think?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We could also use:
-Wedding Mario
-Builder Mario
-Wild Tunic Link
-Crafted Yoshi
-Nana
-Dark Meta Knight
-Galacta Meta Knight
-Overalls Wario
-Radiant Dawn Ike
-Hooded Little Mac
-Wireframe Little Mac
-Shirtless Shulk
-Advent Children Cloud
-Meta Ridley
-Shujin Joker
-F!Byleth
-Pikachu Libre

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Really it feels like it's marketing fluff misinterpreted as a way to gatekeep first parties. I'd think as a general gaming crossover, Sakurai would stick to the plans to make a Castlevania fighter with a stronger connection to the PS1 than Simon, and Nintendo would pick a bigger icon Microsoft owns.

Oh and we wouldn't be debating on who would rep ARMS on the roster.
Alucard was never originally planned, he was considered but Simon and Richter got picked instead because Sakurai felt fans would prefer Belmonts.
Banjo got in because Microsoft approached Nintendo first in regards to Banjo.

You don't gotta intentionally spread blatant misinfo just because you really want to push your agenda.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I agree that shutting down anything that isn't Nintendo is just as daft, especially with how ambitious Sakurai has been with Ultimate being the "Ultimate crossover". My top 2 most wanted are Dixie Kong and Crash Bandicoot (that's the PS1 nostalgia in me haha) so I'm 100% game for more 3rd parties also. That said I don't think I or others need patronising for not knowing 2B or her game for example, or Reimu and her game etc. (not targeting this at you, but I have seen multiple different comments like this lately).

I agree people who describe SNK or DQ as "literally who" are being comically ignorant but that doesn't justify making a strawman for the "Smash fanbase" and back patting in response to it. I've seen too many comments of people lecturing the "Smash fanbase" on franchises with comments like "lol classic Smash fanbase hates sword loves 90s" even though they are posting about Smash, on a forum dedicated to Smash, which makes them part of the Smash fanbase...

I always try to sneak a Let's Play in or two to educate myself with speculation purely so I'm not out of loop with any majorly speculated PS/Xbox exclusive characters. But it's a lot harder to engage watching in online, especially with a Youtuber shouting over it.
If I may offer a corollary to this discussion:

There's a certain feeling that if you have to google or wikipedia a character, that means they're not in the common knowledge. Nobody needs to google something like Pac Man or Donkey Kong to know the basics of it. Ask anyone - go to your parents or grandparents and see if they know about those. Heck, I'm sure that there are loads of casual gamers who don't recognize up to half of the Smash roster outside of Smash.

There's also the fact that many people are exclusive to one set of consoles or don't really follow video game news. We like to say that all of the DLC characters so far were perfect wonderful additions that are incredibly well-known to everyone and their grandma, but remember:
  • Persona 5 (and most of the series) was exclusive to PlayStation, which not everyone has. It may have won 'Best RPG' at a game awards (that people uninterested in game news won't watch), but it's not Final Fantasy, so it's understandable that people who only know one JRPG know it.
  • Dragon Quest has struggled to get a foothold in the Americas when it's a cultural phenomenon in Japan. To anyone who isn't aware of regional popularity, it makes sense it could seem to come out of nowhere.
  • Banjo-Kazooie hasn't really had a game in the past 12 years, and that was exclusive to XBox. Besides, the character was designed mostly off of their original 20-year old games. New gamers who aren't into the 'retro' stuff or people who didn't grow up with N64 may not be as familiar with them.
  • SNK may have influenced Smash, but that's more for the people who follow Smash's history. There are people who don't even know about Smash 64. And SNK is not the most well known fighting game in certain parts of the world.
I don't think that people are 'comically ignorant' for not knowing these. I think 'comically ignorant' is more "Who is Mario?" Maybe 'normal ignorant' would be something like "Who is Final Fantasy?" But once we get into "You need to do research to know the characters," that's not ignorance, that's just not knowing a lot about games. Does that mean that these people do not have valid wants since they don't know about characters on a console they don't have in a genre they don't play that came out during a timeframe they didn't know about...? Sometimes it feels like you need a PhD in Video Game history to have an opinion on these boards...

I don't think it's a bad thing if people don't know a character. It seems that the problem is a lot of people here are taking it as a personal attack: "They don't know who this character is, so they're telling me that my character is worthless!" It's not, it's an admission that they don't know who the character is, so the character isn't as pervasive as you think. That's all.

Heck, look at my favorite. I'm not gonna get mad if there are people who don't know Skyrim. Yeah it won every award and was the big name in open-world, but it's also over 8 years old by now. I'm sure there are people who haven't heard of it. And I'm sure there are a decent number of people who don't recognize that it's The Elder Scrolls V, which means there were four others before it: go ahead, see how many people know about those four. Bonus points: what's the title of the playable character in those? (Now I do think that TES:III really deserves a RE-style remake and that'd be great on Switch, but that's a different story)

The problem is really that, when people say "I don't know them," there's an implied "I would rather they had picked someone else." And who can blame them for thinking that? People know there are only a few slots left. Every one character that gets in means there's fewer spots for someone who anyone would want in, so it's completely understandable that people would rather they get a character they know. It's not like Smash is going to keep adding characters until every single character ever is added. So yeah, everyone would prefer to get at least one character they like in the DLC. I'm not going to fault anyone for that. And yeah, it can get frustrating enough when a character is announced that you've never naturally come across without having the internet police coming down with a pretentious "LOL ur such a looooser just google them and you'll know they're totes better than ur lame most wanted!!!11!" But on the other hand, if you don't know someone, you can't also go around screaming about it being a worthless addition - it may be one to you, but there are reasons they got picked and there are people happy to see them.

Finally, there's a lot more to the character packs than just the character - there's also the stage and music. If I need to research a character to decide if I want to buy them, obviously that's gonna put a check in the 'con' column. But some of the characters may have great stages or music that puts them in the 'pro' column.

Out of the current DLC, I know I'm getting one character I knew from the beginning even though I've never played them, but they fit really well and I've always been able to recognize them. There's another one I know about but don't like their genre, but their music and stage is phenomenal so I'll get that one as well. There's a third who I don't know except for the fact that the series exists; I don't like the genre, I don't like the character kit, I'm not impressed by the music, but I love how the stage looks and I recognize the series importance so I'm on the fence about getting them eventually. Then there's the two characters I really don't know anything about besides what I've read here; one has a stage which I find unimpressive, the other I actually think looks really ugly. That one is also from a genre I don't like, from a game I can't play even if I wanted to, I listened to all their tracks on Youtube and didn't like a single one, and the character is complex to boot. Yes, these are all opinions - I know there are people on this site who think that that's the best addition possible. But I'm not a fan. And I'm not attacking the character, I'm just saying that I'm not getting them and I hope that one of the 5 upcoming is someone I'd like.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

There's a certain feeling that if you have to google or wikipedia a character, that means they're not in the common knowledge. Nobody needs to google something like Pac Man or Donkey Kong to know the basics of it. Ask anyone - go to your parents or grandparents and see if they know about those. Heck, I'm sure that there are loads of casual gamers who don't recognize up to half of the Smash roster outside of Smash.

There's also the fact that many people are exclusive to one set of consoles or don't really follow video game news. We like to say that all of the DLC characters so far were perfect wonderful additions that are incredibly well-known to everyone and their grandma, but remember:
  • Persona 5 (and most of the series) was exclusive to PlayStation, which not everyone has. It may have won 'Best RPG' at a game awards (that people uninterested in game news won't watch), but it's not Final Fantasy, so it's understandable that people who only know one JRPG know it.
  • Dragon Quest has struggled to get a foothold in the Americas when it's a cultural phenomenon in Japan. To anyone who isn't aware of regional popularity, it makes sense it could seem to come out of nowhere.
  • Banjo-Kazooie hasn't really had a game in the past 12 years, and that was exclusive to XBox. Besides, the character was designed mostly off of their original 20-year old games. New gamers who aren't into the 'retro' stuff or people who didn't grow up with N64 may not be as familiar with them.
  • SNK may have influenced Smash, but that's more for the people who follow Smash's history. There are people who don't even know about Smash 64. And SNK is not the most well known fighting game in certain parts of the world.
I don't think that people are 'comically ignorant' for not knowing these. I think 'comically ignorant' is more "Who is Mario?" Maybe 'normal ignorant' would be something like "Who is Final Fantasy?" But once we get into "You need to do research to know the characters," that's not ignorance, that's just not knowing a lot about games. Does that mean that these people do not have valid wants since they don't know about characters on a console they don't have in a genre they don't play that came out during a timeframe they didn't know about...? Sometimes it feels like you need a PhD in Video Game history to have an opinion on these boards...

I don't think it's a bad thing if people don't know a character. It seems that the problem is a lot of people here are taking it as a personal attack: "They don't know who this character is, so they're telling me that my character is worthless!" It's not, it's an admission that they don't know who the character is, so the character isn't as pervasive as you think. That's all.

Heck, look at my favorite. I'm not gonna get mad if there are people who don't know Skyrim. Yeah it won every award and was the big name in open-world, but it's also over 8 years old by now. I'm sure there are people who haven't heard of it. And I'm sure there are a decent number of people who don't recognize that it's The Elder Scrolls V, which means there were four others before it: go ahead, see how many people know about those four. Bonus points: what's the title of the playable character in those? (Now I do think that TES:III really deserves a RE-style remake and that'd be great on Switch, but that's a different story)

The problem is really that, when people say "I don't know them," there's an implied "I would rather they had picked someone else." And who can blame them for thinking that? People know there are only a few slots left. Every one character that gets in means there's fewer spots for someone who anyone would want in, so it's completely understandable that people would rather they get a character they know. It's not like Smash is going to keep adding characters until every single character ever is added. So yeah, everyone would prefer to get at least one character they like in the DLC. I'm not going to fault anyone for that. And yeah, it can get frustrating enough when a character is announced that you've never naturally come across without having the internet police coming down with a pretentious "LOL ur such a looooser just google them and you'll know they're totes better than ur lame most wanted!!!11!" But on the other hand, if you don't know someone, you can't also go around screaming about it being a worthless addition - it may be one to you, but there are reasons they got picked and there are people happy to see them.

Finally, there's a lot more to the character packs than just the character - there's also the stage and music. If I need to research a character to decide if I want to buy them, obviously that's gonna put a check in the 'con' column. But some of the characters may have great stages or music that puts them in the 'pro' column.

Out of the current DLC, I know I'm getting one character I knew from the beginning even though I've never played them, but they fit really well and I've always been able to recognize them. There's another one I know about but don't like their genre, but their music and stage is phenomenal so I'll get that one as well. There's a third who I don't know except for the fact that the series exists; I don't like the genre, I don't like the character kit, I'm not impressed by the music, but I love how the stage looks and I recognize the series importance so I'm on the fence about getting them eventually. Then there's the two characters I really don't know anything about besides what I've read here; one has a stage which I find unimpressive, the other I actually think looks really ugly. That one is also from a genre I don't like, from a game I can't play even if I wanted to, I listened to all their tracks on Youtube and didn't like a single one, and the character is complex to boot. Yes, these are all opinions - I know there are people on this site who think that that's the best addition possible. But I'm not a fan. And I'm not attacking the character, I'm just saying that I'm not getting them and I hope that one of the 5 upcoming is someone I'd like.
I like that by this rubrik the only DLC character people can be reasonably expected to actually know is Piranha Plant.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And I'm sure there are a decent number of people who don't recognize that it's The Elder Scrolls V, which means there were four others before it: go ahead, see how many people know about those four. Bonus points: what's the title of the playable character in those?
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say most people know Skyrim as just Skyrim. I personally know of The Elder Scrolls ??? Morrowind, and The Elder Scrolls Online. I also know of the other titles, but I can't name them.

That one is also from a genre I don't like, from a game I can't play even if I wanted to, I listened to all their tracks on Youtube and didn't like a single one, and the character is complex to boot.
Huh. So there are people who hate hip-hop more than I do; I actually quite liked the Persona tracks...Maybe I just hate popular hip-hop stuff.

EDIT: Also, in my experience, Joker's skill floor doesn't seem to be that high. He's at least easier than other combo oriented characters like Sheik and Greninja.

I like that by this rubrik the only DLC character people can be reasonably expected to actually know is Piranha Plant.
I think it's pretty sound logic assuming the person in question lives in the U.S.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, it is true though. People might give PP a hard time, but he really is the most iconic DLC character so far. He's been around for almost 35 years, is a mook in the most iconic video game series of all time, and makes consistent appearances in several games each year.

Joker, Luminary, and Byleth are infants compared to how old PP is, Banjo is a relic of the past, and Terry's franchise isn't consistent or popular enough to compete with a Mario character, even if it's a mook.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Do we even know if the old rules for the first FP apply to the second? The first FP said with each fighter comes music and a stage, fighters aren't echo fighters, and they're characters not yet represented in Smash. Was there any confirmation on this in announcements or interviews?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

If you don't mind me asking, could you share which characters you're referring to in this part? I think I already know which characters apply to these statements, and if I'm right then I mostly agree.

The first pass was...okay. I do feel like Smashboards has a tendency to oversell it, especially if you're someone like me who wasn't immediately won over by Joker (he's a really specific character from a single game exclusive to PS4). We got Banjo, even though he wasn't really a character I wanted. Hero is arguably the biggest addition of the five, which is a shame because he comes from a franchise whose popularity has stayed mostly in Japan.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do we even know if the old rules for the first FP apply to the second? The first FP said with each fighter comes music and a stage, fighters aren't echo fighters, and they're characters not yet represented in Smash. Was there any confirmation on this in announcements or interviews?
No, but we pretty much assume the same things because Sakurai didn't say otherwise.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
From my perspective, anytime there's been a playable character added from a series I haven't played, I investigate and try to get a game with that character to try.

To the point that, "People have characters they want, so of course they don't want other characters". As somebody who previously wasn't into picks like Phoenix Wright, Travis Touchdown, and others, I say, "How do you know you don't want them if you don't know anything about them?"

Not to mention, this is a website that gathers fans of many different series and characters, and gaming experiences. Sure, everyone has their own interests. But to actively not investigate or try to learn more about other games sort of designates a closed mentality...not looking into new things, only looking at things one knows as acceptable. It's rigid, and in a case where the prospects of characters that can be added has been essentially blown wide open, suggests that folks who only want a specific set of characters have limited knowledge overall of the characters that are added.

In regards to "not knowing" certain characters, while I wouldn't use the word "blame", I would simply say that it's a two way street in a sense. While the game needs to draw interest from a player, we're using the internet to discuss this stuff. "Ignorance" of something is not really an excuse to not have knowledge of something, when you have the internet to have unlimited information. This brings me back to my first point. How can you possibly know you're not interested if you don't have knowledge or experience with something? The answer is, you simply can't.

I probably had said, "Why would I play Metal Gear?" when Snake was added because I was basically a Mario and Pokemon junkie. It was essentially all I played. But had I not made the leap of faith there, I would have never experienced the social commentary of Metal Gear and having Snake as one of my favorite characters of all time, would have never set out on the journey that is playing all of these many new games, and gathering the oh so important perspective of what each of these series and characters brings to the table.

Even if I don't like something, sometimes I have to teach it. That's just how it goes. Likewise, to be taken seriously in some discussion, it's important to come to the table with an informed perspective. That's my thing...I've played many games to know what I am personally interested in for Smash, but I still am trying new things. I'm open-minded about it, or at least try to be open-minded to new things once I have the chance to experience them.

Not that this is a "college" environment, but when I attended I was expected to have information regarding a particular discourse prior to partaking in it. Even in high school, to be involved in a discourse, you have to have the knowledge concerning it in order to learn and partake from it. This obviously can go either way...somebody who has first party knowledge but limited third party knowledge, and vice versa.

Not everybody is going to like everything. But unless you investigate and open up to new possibilities, how can you know? I think something that might help is if maybe folks bring in some material for folks to read about a character or series. Maybe that's the middle man?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I mean, it is true though. People might give PP a hard time, but he really is the most iconic DLC character so far. He's been around for almost 35 years, is a mook in the most iconic video game series of all time, and makes consistent appearances in several games each year.

Joker, Luminary, and Byleth are infants compared to how old PP is, Banjo is a relic of the past, and Terry's franchise isn't consistent or popular enough to compete with a Mario character, even if it's a mook.
Hell, Piranha Plant is actually one of the most iconic characters on the roster period just because he's a Mario character. Far more Joe Schmos would be able to name :ultpiranha: than :ultpit:, :ultfalcon:, :ultness:, :ultmarth:, and even :ultsamus:.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think part of the reason Sakurai does his character showcases is to inform newcomers about these characters too as well as their history and games.
Hence why he mentioned that he got asked who Samus was once or how we don't know what a Fire Emblem is and all...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

We could also use:
-Wedding Mario
-Builder Mario
-Wild Tunic Link
-Crafted Yoshi
-Pikachu Libre
-Nana
-Spiky-Eared Pichu
-Dark Meta Knight
-Galacta Meta Knight
-Overalls Wario
-Radiant Dawn Ike
-Hooded Little Mac
-Wireframe Little Mac
-Shirtless Shulk
-Advent Children Cloud
-Meta Ridley
-Shujin Joker
-F!Byleth
Still waiting for Arusu, Solo and Eight emotes too
It's like you guys just willed them into existance... :ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's like you guys just willed them into existance... :ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:
Oh that was quick, it's only been 9 ****ing months
From my perspective, anytime there's been a playable character added from a series I haven't played, I investigate and try to get a game with that character to try.

To the point that, "People have characters they want, so of course they don't want other characters". As somebody who previously wasn't into picks like Phoenix Wright, Travis Touchdown, and others, I say, "How do you know you don't want them if you don't know anything about them?"

Not to mention, this is a website that gathers fans of many different series and characters, and gaming experiences. Sure, everyone has their own interests. But to actively not investigate or try to learn more about other games sort of designates a closed mentality...not looking into new things, only looking at things one knows as acceptable. It's rigid, and in a case where the prospects of characters that can be added has been essentially blown wide open, suggests that folks who only want a specific set of characters have limited knowledge overall of the characters that are added.

In regards to "not knowing" certain characters, while I wouldn't use the word "blame", I would simply say that it's a two way street in a sense. While the game needs to draw interest from a player, we're using the internet to discuss this stuff. "Ignorance" of something is not really an excuse to not have knowledge of something, when you have the internet to have unlimited information. This brings me back to my first point. How can you possibly know you're not interested if you don't have knowledge or experience with something? The answer is, you simply can't.

I probably had said, "Why would I play Metal Gear?" when Snake was added because I was basically a Mario and Pokemon junkie. It was essentially all I played. But had I not made the leap of faith there, I would have never experienced the social commentary of Metal Gear and having Snake as one of my favorite characters of all time, would have never set out on the journey that is playing all of these many new games, and gathering the oh so important perspective of what each of these series and characters brings to the table.

Even if I don't like something, sometimes I have to teach it. That's just how it goes. Likewise, to be taken seriously in some discussion, it's important to come to the table with an informed perspective. That's my thing...I've played many games to know what I am personally interested in for Smash, but I still am trying new things. I'm open-minded about it, or at least try to be open-minded to new things once I have the chance to experience them.

Not that this is a "college" environment, but when I attended I was expected to have information regarding a particular discourse prior to partaking in it. Even in high school, to be involved in a discourse, you have to have the knowledge concerning it in order to learn and partake from it. This obviously can go either way...somebody who has first party knowledge but limited third party knowledge, and vice versa.

Not everybody is going to like everything. But unless you investigate and open up to new possibilities, how can you know? I think something that might help is if maybe folks bring in some material for folks to read about a character or series. Maybe that's the middle man?
But that's too haaaaaaaard I can just pretend nothing else exists instead as I block out everything to ads, Sakurai colomns, youtube videos and friends!

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman

This is well written. Though I think I should elaborate I meant smugly using the term "literally who" is proud ignorance. I'm not expecting everyone to know DQ or SNK, it's the remark that more or less translates to "I don't know them so nobody does".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is well written. Though I think I should elaborate I meant smugly using the term "literally who" is proud ignorance. I'm not expecting everyone to know DQ or SNK, it's the remark that more or less translates to "I don't know them so nobody does".
It was so ****ing embarassing seeing people go "WELL, I AM A HARDCORE GAMER WHO'S PLAYED GAMES FOR DECADES AND I HAVE NEVER ONCE IN MY LIFE HEARD OF DRAGON QUEST/SNK!" I feel people forget that SNK was involved with Smash twice in 2019 before the trademark leaked and if you're on this website then you should have at the very least heard about his Famitsu colomn, one of which explained how his experience with a KoF match gave him inspiration for Smash

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If I were to rank the DLC for me, it'd be like this:
  1. :ultbyleth::ultbylethf: I didn't have a huge reaction since I was more worried about everyone's hatred for him, but I think they're actually my favorite. I liked the character beforehand, the stage is pretty, and now I get to listen to Fire Emblem: Three Houses music in this game, which is something I didn't know I needed until their release.
  2. :ultpiranha: This is no joke, my favorite new edition to the roster. It's hilarious, and super fun to play. Now if only it came with a stage and good music...
  3. :ult_terry: Terry is so much more fun then I had anticipated. His stage is pretty novel, though not my favorite, and with 50 music tracks, there was no way I wouldn't find any bangers in there (eeeeven though I don't care for most of it).
  4. :ultjoker: I couldn't care less about this guy before reveal, but I quite liked him upon release. His music was pretty great, and I really like playing on his stage.
  5. :ultbanjokazooie: I had no attachment to these characters even during speculation, and they didn't make that big of an impression on me when they released. They have grown on me since then, but I think they're just ok. The stage is fine as well, and there are some good music tracks, but also a lot of ones I didn't like.
  6. :ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4: I give these guys a big meh. I like playing as them, but they don't click with me like the others (#4 and up) did. I like their stage ok, but their music is awful. Like, I get these guys were limited on which how many tracks they could pick, but it's still disappointing to only have 8 of them, and the ones we do have are pretty bad in my opinion. To me, they sound either generic, or boring and generic.
We’ll never know why it took this long to get them.
Oh that was quick, it's only been 9 ****ing months
I just thought it was uncanny that they appeared right after people brought them up. I'm not saying they're not late.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's annoying when people shoot down my character suggestion for a number of arbitrary reasons when I just wanna talk about my favorite characters. ("Erdrick Wars" were pretty infamous for that, including Erdrick fans. Y'all should have seen the Square Enix thread in its second half.) It's also annoying when people insist I gotta learn about their character despite nothing grabbing at me or I wanna stick to what I know. This isn't just relegated to characters, but movies, books, even food. Don't get me ****ing started with people trying to get me to eat different things. Like I've heard it all. "You live under a rock," "you've had no childhood," all of that nonsense. I know I've had plenty of arguments just because some guy tried to guilt shame me to get into what they like because "How do you know you wont like it if you never tried it" and I'm just like, "*****, I don't wanna try it." It's like being that kid at school who doesn't like the cool and hip things everybody talks about, but you sure can't bother or got other better things to do. Then you're called a "boomer" just because.

Be open-minded if you can. If you can't be open-minded--and I know I struggle with new things all the time--just don't be an ass about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The best comparison I can use for familiar vs unfamiliar characters is the experience of deciding whether or not you should eat at a new restaurant.

Yeah, taking a chance and trying new restaurants can pay off, but you're always taking a gamble. You could end up with the best meal of your life, or you could get an overpriced meal that was bland and flavorless. You can try doing some research before going, but how much research are you expected to do before your friends will be satisfied with your disinterest in the restaurant? Sometimes you just want to eat at the reliable chain restaurant that everyone has eaten at. May not be the most adventurous choice, but you know exactly what you're getting and you like it. You shouldn't be criticized for rejecting the new restaurant over the one you've ate at several times.

I think a lot of people here are quilty of getting so caught up in their own positive experiences that they forget that other people may have not felt the same way about a character they never heard of. I'm sure a lot of people didn't know (or barely knew) who Joker was. Many people were glad he got in because it introduced them to a game they thought they might like. Others? They may have taken a couple of minutes to look at a P5 trailer or look at a few screenshots before deciding that this game wasn't for them. Are they still wrong if they complain about Joker? Should we berate them for not watching the whole game on YouTube? Should we tease them about how picky they are? Obviously any franchise that gets in Smash should be universally agreed to be a franchise worth playing. Those who think otherwise must not be trying hard enough to like the game, otherwise their reaction would be the same as everyone else's.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
On the official Smash site in the dlc section there's a description of the fighter pass 2: "Expand your roster even more with six additional playable fighters, plus additional stages, and music as they release." So they do come with stages and music. We don't know if they will come with spirits.

"Characters not yet represented in Smash" we dont't know, the Arms rep might tell us about that. And about the "fighters aren't echo fighters", we technically don't know but I doubt Nintendo would be stupid enough to sell a pass the same price as the first one but with clones without saying it before.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The best comparison I can use for familiar vs unfamiliar characters is the experience of deciding whether or not you should eat at a new restaurant.

Yeah, taking a chance and trying new restaurants can pay off, but you're always taking a gamble. You could end up with the best meal of your life, or you could get an overpriced meal that was bland and flavorless. You can try doing some research before going, but how much research are you expected to do before your friends will be satisfied with your disinterest in the restaurant? Sometimes you just want to eat at the reliable chain restaurant that everyone has eaten at. May not be the most adventurous choice, but you know exactly what you're getting and you like it. You shouldn't be criticized for rejecting the new restaurant over the one you've ate at several times.

I think a lot of people here are quilty of getting so caught up in their own positive experiences that they forget that other people may have not felt the same way about a character they never heard of. I'm sure a lot of people didn't know (or barely knew) who Joker was. Many people were glad he got in because it introduced them to a game they thought they might like. Others? They may have taken a couple of minutes to look at a P5 trailer or look at a few screenshots before deciding that this game wasn't for them. Are they still wrong if they complain about Joker? Should we berate them for not watching the whole game on YouTube. Should we tease them about how picky they are? Obviously any franchise that gets in Smash should be universally agreed to be a franchise worth playing. Those who think otherwise must not be trying hard enough to like the game, otherwise their reaction would be the same as everyone else's.
Maybe I'm just weird but we live in a day and age where you can literally look up menus on websites of the restaurants in advance, if you're curious, you can literally look it up and see for yourself if it's worth it, this analogy only ends up proving how ignorance in knowledge lies by yourself at that point

D

Deleted member

Maybe I'm just weird but we live in a day and age where you can literally look up menus on websites of the restaurants in advance, if you're curious, you can literally look it up and see for yourself if it's worth it, this analogy only ends up proving how ignorance in knowledge lies by yourself at that point
TBF menus always do that thing where the food looks better than what it actually is. You ever go to a fast food joint and the burger on the menu doesn't look like it'll give you a heart-attack? You can't really tell if food's gonna be worth your time by just looking at menus or reviews, especially if it's a different cultural restaurant because then it's an entirely different eating experience.

I went to a pizza joint at a carnival with my brother. Overpriced as ****, the pasta was somewhat uncooked, they didn't even give you the sauce that was in the image! It was awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom