• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Though from what I've researched from Ubisoft's sales reports, it would appear that the 26mil number is counting the Rabbids games. The mainline Rayman games have sold around 1mil each.

Regardless of sales, I don't think it's fair to say that Rayman is comparable in popularity and recognizability to Mega Man and Doomguy. Mega Man was one of the biggest deals on the NES and SNES, whereas Doom pretty much kickstarted a genre and its studios dominance within it. Maybe Rayman reached those levels in Europe, I wouldn't know, but his impact isn't the same as those in America.
Nah the rabbids sales are documented seperate and are around 14 mil. Rayman's 26 (which last I heard may be up to 30 but don't quote me on that) mil is just from his games. He may not be a little under megaman but still an icon none the less. We've had less popular characters join like Terry so I don't see a problem.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Late to the party but I'd like to add as well on the topic of many people not being able to play every game is that not everyone can afford two current gen consoles. I couldn't justify purchasing a Switch and a PS4; I'm sure I'd enjoy many PS4 games but I only have so much money and free time. My first console was a PS1 so I'm not blinded by nostalgia.

I wish the snarky passive aggression against "Nintendo fans who only know Nintendo games" would chill, it makes visiting this thread unpleasant and exclusionary. Is it really a shock that people who buy a Nintendo Switch and Smash Bros also typically are more familiar with Nintendo games?

toonito

Smash Ace

4 Classic and 4 Alpha colors

I would've liked to see Ryu and Ken get their SFV costumes and Terry get his Garou alt

A Ky-Kiske alt is a must

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Late to the party but I'd like to add as well on the topic of many people not being able to play every game is that not everyone can afford two current gen consoles. I couldn't justify purchasing a Switch and a PS4; I'm sure I'd enjoy many PS4 games but I only have so much money and free time. My first console was a PS1 so I'm not blinded by nostalgia.

I wish the snarky passive aggression against "Nintendo fans who only know Nintendo games" would chill, it makes visiting this thread unpleasant and exclusionary. Is it really a shock that people who buy a Nintendo Switch and Smash Bros also typically are more familiar with Nintendo games?
I agree, though it seems like most people see it differently compared to ten years ago. We've flipped from being critical toward third-parties to being critical toward first-parties.

I don't mind getting a few characters from games I've never played every now and then, but what's wrong with me primarily wanting characters from games that I have played? What's wrong with wanting more Nintendo reps if most of my consoles growing up were from Nintendo?

Not everyone is like this, but I feel like there are quite a few people who look down on the users who request more Nintendo characters, especially if those characters come from big name franchises like Mario and Pokemon. They act like those particular users aren't intrested in the more niche characters because they've limited themselves to only playing the overexposed Nintendo franchises that already have far too many characters on the roster. They fail to consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, these people happen to be fans of a popular franchise and are requesting more characters because they genuinely like those games the most.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not even sure if Geno would be a good reminder that it's not all about the biggest third-parties in the world, when you have people putting him alongside the likes of Crash and Doomguy in their FP2 expectations.
Geno will always be a perfect addition.
As a Mii+ Costume.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And a fantastic addition.
As a playable character.*

In my own, incredibly biased opinion.
I AGREE.
I play as Cuphead and Sans frequently.
Geno was made to be a Mii fighter. I mean. Literally.
Gunner's seem like they were based off of him with an arm cannon. And the lifeless expression is pure Geno.

I imagine this must be the case- that we started getting the Mii costumes in the last two packs because that was when it was decided we would have another fighters pass, including Geno as a Mii Fighter.

Timewise it makes sense.
And I think it is a good balance.

#TeamLara

Ultimately- my thought is that we can only get so many characters.
If a character CAN be a reasonable Mii+ costume (upgraded), then they should be.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At this point, I'm starting to wonder if the Geno Mii costume is even coming. You'd think if he wasn't playable they'd just go ahead, rip the bandage, and release his Mii costume in the first pass.

Imagine the rage if we have to wait until F11 for a Mii costume.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I AGREE.
I play as Cuphead and Sans frequently.
Geno was made to be a Mii fighter. I mean. Literally.
Gunner's seem like they were based off of him with an arm cannon. And the lifeless expression is pure Geno.

I imagine this must be the case- that we started getting the Mii costumes in the last two packs because that was when it was decided we would have another fighters pass, including Geno as a Mii Fighter.

Timewise it makes sense.
And I think it is a good balance.

#TeamLara

Ultimately- my thought is that we can only get so many characters.
If a character CAN be a reasonable Mii+ costume (upgraded), then they should be.
I can't tell if I've been genuinely or comedically misinterpreted...

We can agree on one thing though: Lara Croft woud be pretty sweet. Imagine if she came with a Mii Brawler or Mii Gunner costume that's just a shortened version of her blocky model from the first Tomb Raider games.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nah the rabbids sales are documented seperate and are around 14 mil. Rayman's 26 (which last I heard may be up to 30 but don't quote me on that) mil is just from his games. He may not be a little under megaman but still an icon none the less. We've had less popular characters join like Terry so I don't see a problem.
Yeah, Imma ask for your sources on that. Haven't found anything that indicates anywhere near that amount of sales, hell, the only Rayman game I can find that sold over 2mil is the first one, and given how the series consists of five games (2 of which flopped) and a bunch of low-key spin-offs, I have a hard time seeing it reach those high numbers. And I'm pretty sure whatever source on the Rabbids' sales is outdated, because Ubi's 2019 sales report has them at 20+ million.

The comparison with Terry is pretty bogus too considering how game sales shouldn't be the measuring standard for a series that primarily thrived on the arcade. But regardless, allow me to repeat:

Sales does not equal iconicness. Let's assume Rayman and Mega Man had the same sales. Mega Man still has dozens of cartoons where he shows up, the backing of 80's era Nintendo's marketing machine (including Captain N), strong brand association with Nintendo, and hundreds of games keeping different incarnations of the brand ever-relevant. Iconicness is more than just profit, it requires cultivating, worldwide appeal, and sometimes just blind luck.Adjust for inflation, and Gone with the Wind sold more tickets than Star Wars. But Darth Vader is more iconic than Scarlett O'Hara, because one has decades of merchandise, books, TV shows, and videogames, so a kid born even 9 years ago would probably still know him.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I can't tell if I've been genuinely or comedically misinterpreted...

We can agree on one thing though: Lara Croft woud be pretty sweet. Imagine if she came with a Mii Brawler or Mii Gunner costume that's just a shortened version of her blocky model from the first Tomb Raider games.
I don’t expect the blocky chest to be too accurate.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Since we’re on the topic, what colors, costumes or alt characters do you want your most wanted newcomers to have? .
I made a quick image for the Reimu colors I'd want because why not though its not the best.
Reimu Colors.png

(Reimu, Blue Reimu, Marisa, Sanae, Yukari, Keiki, Patchouli, Sakuya)
Of course I doubt the last 3 colors could make it in but it would be cool if they did. I think a good alt would be her appearance in the PC-98 games but I didn't make one because I'd have to actually edit the sprite to make that and that's beyond my abilities.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They are documented separately, but it doesnt mean that the games arent Rayman games. They are Rayman spinoff games.
Look no further than the whole ordeal of Ubisoft's AI program, that, when asked about Smash Bros, specifically call out the Rabbid's as being from Rayman.

Mario Kart and Paper Mario are not 'core Mario games,' but you best be damned that they are counted towards overall Mario sales.
The same can be true to an even greater extend with Pokemon.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah, Imma ask for your sources on that. Haven't found anything that indicates anywhere near that amount of sales, hell, the only Rayman game I can find that sold over 2mil is the first one, and given how the series consists of five games (2 of which flopped) and a bunch of low-key spin-offs, I have a hard time seeing it reach those high numbers. And I'm pretty sure whatever source on the Rabbids' sales is outdated, because Ubi's 2019 sales report has them at 20+ million.

The comparison with Terry is pretty bogus too considering how game sales shouldn't be the measuring standard for a series that primarily thrived on the arcade. But regardless, allow me to repeat:

Sales does not equal iconicness. Let's assume Rayman and Mega Man had the same sales. Mega Man still has dozens of cartoons where he shows up, the backing of 80's era Nintendo's marketing machine (including Captain N), strong brand association with Nintendo, and hundreds of games keeping different incarnations of the brand ever-relevant. Iconicness is more than just profit, it requires cultivating, worldwide appeal, and sometimes just blind luck.Adjust for inflation, and Gone with the Wind sold more tickets than Star Wars. But Darth Vader is more iconic than Scarlett O'Hara, because one has decades of merchandise, books, TV shows, and videogames, so a kid born even 9 years ago would probably still know him.
How is comparing him to Terry bogus? Prior to smash Rayman was definitely more known than Terry

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't even know why we're arguing about Rabbids in the first place. If Nintendo is currently selling us a Rabbids Mii costume, then the odds of them selling us a Rabbids character on top of that is extremely low.

And if they had already made the costume before they knew about the second pass, I still think they would've held off on the costume until the Rabbids were officially revealed and substituted it with something else.

This Rayman vs Rabbids argument is several years premature. Maybe in the next Smash game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
>YTMND

Haven’t heard that name in years...
What was that?

I don't even know why we're arguing about Rabbids in the first place. If Nintendo is currently selling us a Rabbids Mii costume, then the odds of them selling us a Rabbids character on top of that is extremely low.

And if they had already made the costume before they knew about the second pass, I still think they would've held off on the costume until the Rabbids were officially revealed and substituted it with something else.

This Rayman vs Rabbids argument is several years premature. Maybe in the next Smash game.
It's completely gone as far as I'm concerned.
The Ubisoft UI, when asked about Smash, specifically called the Rabbid's Costume out as a Rayman title costume.

https://www.dexerto.com/

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

My whole point was that they're documented seperate and not part of Rayman's sales figures and wasn't trying to initiate any arguements. And also that it's silly that some say he isn't iconic enough when we've gotten characters who can arguebly be less iconic. People don't have to like Rayman and I'm not here to force that but I think it's a little unfair to say he's hella unknown and such

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My whole point was that they're documented seperate and not part of Rayman's sales figures and wasn't trying to initiate any arguements. And also that it's silly that some say he isn't iconic enough when we've gotten characters who can arguebly be less iconic. People don't have to like Rayman and I'm not here to force that but I think it's a little unfair to say he's hella unknown and such
He is the face of one of the most prominent developers in gaming.
I think that alone constitutes being 'hella known.'

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Just a random thought that occurred to me: think there is any chance we might get some sort of playable Master Hand mode at the end of the DLC? I know Sakurai said Home Run Contest was "pretty much" going to be the last new mode, but playable Master Hand is something already programmed in to the game so one would guess that it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. It's just kinda weird to me that playable Master Hand only exists for one quick battle towards the end of WoL and that's it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
What was that?
You're The Man Now Dog!

It's kinda tough to explain, but it was basically GeoCities (a program to make your own website) mixed with a meme maker. Basically, you slap an image in the background, put a caption in ASCII text in the middle, play a sound file in the background, and you have instant comedy. It was a big creator of Web 2.0's culture, with many of the popular memes from that time coming from or being popularized by YTMND (Brian Peppers, This is Sparta, anything seen in classic YouTube Poops, etc.).

If you want to learn more about it, I recommend Whang!'s videos on YouTube. He discusses YTMND, its culture, and its overall legacy in a pretty engaging way.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You're The Man Now Dog!

It's kinda tough to explain, but it was basically GeoCities (a program to make your own website) mixed with a meme maker. Basically, you slap an image in the background, put a caption in ASCII text in the middle, play a sound file in the background, and you have instant comedy. It was a big creator of Web 2.0's culture, with many of the popular memes from that time coming from or being popularized by YTMND (Brian Peppers, This is Sparta, anything seen in classic YouTube Poops, etc.).

If you want to learn more about it, I recommend Whang!'s videos on YouTube. He discusses YTMND, its culture, and its overall legacy in a pretty engaging way.
I really thought you were giving me a compliment at first.
Ouch.

Thanks though!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Mega Man also has tons of historical value as a video game character. Rayman was... just successful. I don't really know what Rayman added to the gaming world compared to other characters like Ryu or Pac-Man. His games are good, and he's a fun character. But he didn't do anything that any other great series hasn't done.

That's not to say I wouldn't love to have Rayman in Smash. I would. But lets be honest here. He's not even close to the other legends we have on here. Continuing to compare Rayman to Mega Man is not fair.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Mega Man also has tons of historical value as a video game character. Rayman was... just successful. I don't really know what Rayman added to the gaming world compared to other characters like Ryu or Pac-Man. His games are good, and he's a fun character. But he didn't do anything that any other great series hasn't done.

That's not to say I wouldn't love to have Rayman in Smash. I would. But lets be honest here. He's not even close to the other legends we have on here. Continuing to compare Rayman to Mega Man is not fair.
I ain't comparing him to MegaMan but he's still iconic dude.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
yeah I'm sorry, I like Rayman's games well enough but I just don't see him as Smash material.

I'm just repeating myself here but what I think Rayman fans should realize is that his franchise just barely even exists in Japan. Not many of his games were released there and the ones that did sold astronomically poorly. I just don't see why Nintendo would be interested in a third party character that holds little to no value in their home country.

People say "well obviously it would be to strengthen their relationship with Ubisoft!"...but like, Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo has already been commemorated in Smash. With Mii costumes.

I mean really, if you're going to add another 90s nostalgic platformer mascot, why not just go with Crash Bandicoot instead? He's way more popular/iconic than Rayman and unlike most western game series, was actually successful in Japan when his games originally came out there during the 90s.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I consider Rayman to be a iconic character. Sure he's not Mega man and Sonic, but he was for a very long time the face of Ubisoft (until like the 2010's where Assassin's creed, Just dance and Rabbids took over). He was also a pretty big part of the ps1. Rayman is actually the most sold game on the ps1 in the UK (yes, more than Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot). Rayman 3 sold more than 1 million copies. Sure he didn't create any genre, nor he did add anything really new to his genre but his game are always known to be very solid and great of example of platformer done right. The fact that he have a unique design make him also a very memorable character.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
yeah I'm sorry, I like Rayman's games well enough but I just don't see him as Smash material.

I'm just repeating myself here but what I think Rayman fans should realize is that his franchise just barely even exists in Japan. Not many of his games were released there and the ones that did sold astronomically poorly. I just don't see why Nintendo would be interested in a third party character that holds little to no value in their home country.

People say "well obviously it would be to strengthen their relationship with Ubisoft!"...but like, Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo has already been commemorated in Smash. With Mii costumes.

I mean really, if you're going to add another 90s nostalgic platformer mascot, why not just go with Crash Bandicoot instead? He's way more popular/iconic than Rayman and unlike most western game series, was actually successful in Japan when his games originally came out there during the 90s.
Cause we're free to push for who we want and there's still plenty of who want Rayman in the game? Nintendo and Ubisoft have a good relationship and combined with Rayman being a decently high demand, it could happen even if he isn't very iconic in Japan.

Personally I consider Rayman to be a iconic character. Sure he's not Mega man and Sonic, but he was for a very long time the face of Ubisoft (until like the 2010's where Assassin's creed, Just dance and Rabbids took over). He was also a pretty big part of the ps1. Rayman is actually the most sold game on the ps1 in the UK (yes, more than Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot). Rayman 3 sold more than 1 million copies. Sure he didn't create any genre, nor he did add anything really new to his genre but his game are always known to be very solid and great of example of platformer done right. The fact that he have a unique design make him also a very memorable character.
Thank you! This thread seems to put down Rayman a little too often when he pops up in here so it's good to see others that aren't writing him off just cause he isn't the most iconic.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
At the very least, Rayman would be a perfect fit in terms of aesthetics and moveset, hell he already has half a Smash moveset in the Origins/Legends games.
Origins is actually the game I realized he'd be great in smash and it lays the ground work for what his standard attacks could be. Though when it comes to specials I think they could pull alot from the original trilogy, have Murphy assist him, or get creative with the whole limbless concept. The man has insane moveset potential!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

That...sounds pretty elitist. Any character is Smash material if people want it and it can work in a platform fighting game environment. They don't have to be massive icons in the gaming industry. Heck, we've got Banjo & Kazooie in the game (and with great fanfare among fans, I might add). Why can't the other little guys get any respect around here?

Also, we've gotten roster picks like Dark Samus, Ridley, and Little Mac. The game doesn't revolve around Japan just like it doesn't revolve around The United States of America.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Apparently, Ubisoft is actively TRYING to get Rayman playable in Smash. Rayman's big enough that Nintendo should just take the freebie (or at least take advantage of their obvious bargaining chips).
I know that Rayman's not exactly Crash Bandicoot, but remember that Crash from 2005-2016 was completely irrelevant in the mainstream, whereas Rayman may not have hit the same peaks as Crash and Sonic, but he has been consistently relevant. He had the Rabbids spin-off, a TV series, and had it not been for his design, he probably would have gotten way more toys and action figures.
Though Rayman may not be as big as Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man, Ubisoft is certainly a Triple A developer, and Rayman is their mascot.
I still prefer Crash, but Rayman is definitely no slouch.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

There's a difference between being more familiar with Nintendo and shutting out anything that isn't from Nintendo. I had a ps2 that's been unusable for the past 8 years, a ps3 I got nearly 2 years ago and a gaming PC that I bought almost a year ago. In comparison, I had a Gamecube, GBA and DS and also have a Wii, Wii U, 3DS and Switch. Despite this, I very much knew what Persona was despite never touching an Atlus game unless you count DMC3, DQXIS was my first Dragon Quest yet I was very familiar with the franchise and despite only having played 2 SNK games solely because of my local library having Metal Slug and a KoF game at the time, I was very much familiar with SNK's brand. It's not expecting people buy more consoles, it's expecting people to have general awareness for huge stuff, especially when one of those 3 became a hot topic for Smash fans when EVO 2019's line-up was shown

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Apparently, Ubisoft is actively TRYING to get Rayman playable in Smash. Rayman's big enough that Nintendo should just take the freebie (or at least take advantage of their obvious bargaining chips).
I know that Rayman's not exactly Crash Bandicoot, but remember that Crash from 2005-2016 was completely irrelevant in the mainstream, whereas Rayman may not have hit the same peaks as Crash and Sonic, but he has been consistently relevant. He had the Rabbids spin-off, a TV series, and had it not been for his design, he probably would have gotten way more toys and action figures.
Though Rayman may not be as big as Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man, Ubisoft is certainly a Triple A developer, and Rayman is their mascot.
I still prefer Crash, but Rayman is definitely no slouch.
I love Rayman but I gotta admit it sucks that his design means it's difficult to make merch for him (though I've seen plenty of concepts how the amiibo can be done)

But yeah Ubisoft on multiple occasions has showed interest in having him in. It's not concrete evidence or leak but hopefully the recent suspicious activity means something

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Mega Man in 2013 when Smash 4 was announced was a dead franchise. Rayman may have never peaked like Mega Man did on the NES, but he has been far more consistent.
Also, Rabbids are part of the Rayman universe.
Origins is actually the game I realized he'd be great in smash and it lays the ground work for what his standard attacks could be. Though when it comes to specials I think they could pull alot from the original trilogy, have Murphy assist him, or get creative with the whole limbless concept. The man has insane moveset potential!
I used to think this too, but this was the exact moveset that clicked into my head to make Rayman a Deluxe Mii Brawler costume.
If Rayman is to be more unique, he should focus on his gliding ability to be an elite aerial fighter. Though not as extremely biased between air and ground combat as Little Mac.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh definitely! My first thought and probably the easiest to implement would be the power ups from Hoodlum Havok, though you could get a bit more creative, like for example I could see his up or side special making use of the Swingmen from the recent games.

70738FD4-8360-456F-A69D-2C10D1FD1686.png

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
If your most wanted got in what would be their stage? Would it have cameos and who would it be? what might be the potential layout or mechanics to make it stand out?
Phoenix Wright: Definitely a courtroom, although I think the courtroom that got blown up in the fifth game in particular would be neat. I could see it be a walk-off but with actual walls going up the side a bit on account of the gallery, shaped kind of like the merchant booths in Garreg Mach or the left side of the Training stage. In terms of cameos, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and witnesses from the series can show up in the courtroom with some wacky antics (maybe defense/prosecutor objection speech bubbles could be stage hazards, or there could be some character-specific hazards, like Blackquill's hawk or Sarge's drone).

Estelle Bright: The Arseille airship makes the most sense for a stage. It could be a roaming stage, flying around the major towns of Liberl (maybe the Bobcat could cause some trouble when flying between towns). Each town could have a couple cameos of the other Trails in the Sky characters. Heck, they could even have a stop in Erebonia and have some of Class VII in the background. In terms of who'd be where:
- Rolent Square (near the clocktower): Joshua, Cassius, Scherazard
- Ruan Drawbridge: Kloe & Sieg, Kevin, Ries (maybe have Clem and the other kids running around in the background)
- Bose Market: Olivier, Josette
- Zeiss Central Factory: Agate, Tita, Professor Russell
- Grancel Coliseum: Zin, Anelace (with Nial & Dorothy in the stands)
- (Optional) Thors Academy: Rean, Alisa, Elliot, Laura, Sara (tbh I just started CS1 so idk who's super important yet)

2B: The Amusement Park or Copied City would make the most sense. If they went with the Amusement Park, the roller coaster would be the most likely place to fight, but I would rather not have it play like Big Blue.

Travis Touchdown: The No More Heroes motel would make sense, although I could imagine them doing something with the alien ship from NMH3. For cameos, they could do series mainstays (Sylvia, Henry, Shinobu) and/or some of the NMH3 aliens. This wouldn't be a mechanic per se, but they could add a coin scattering visual effect to hits with the red sparks to imitate the visuals of No More Heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom