• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I don't think that Doom slayer (or any fps rep) would need ammo to work. I know it's not 100% accurate because in fps you normally need ammo to shoot but would it really matters? In Mario you need a fire flower to shoot fireball but not in Smash. There's a lot of example of character that work differently in Smash than in their original game and I think fps should not be an exception. Doom is a very fast game so he would need a very fast gameplay, he doesn't have time for looking for ammo. Also I don't think that ammo management is a big part of Doom gameplay (you rarely are missing ammo) so I don't think it would be necessary to work with that in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is there any particular inspirations for those colors?
First one was supposed to be a simple green alt, the second the shiny version of Zacian, and the third was supposed to be an inverse of Zacian's normal colors. Someone pointed out how these three sort of look like the colors of the starters' final evos, which was actually just a coincidence.

Next two are just white and black alts. Thought they would look cool.

Last two are Yamper and Zamazenta respectively. It's a little hard to see, but these two are the only alts to have the leg fur changed from Zacian's normal beige color.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Since we’re on the topic, what colors, costumes or alt characters do you want your most wanted newcomers to have?

I’d want Ryu Hayabusa to have both his modern and NES outfit.
Doomguy:

Classic 1993 suit: Green, Red, Blue, Orange (Doomguy's color options in Quake III)
2016 Praetor suit: Green, Gray, Brown, Red (MP player colors in Doom 1)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Since we’re on the topic, what colors, costumes or alt characters do you want your most wanted newcomers to have?

It's been an issue I'm having with Brian.

Red(default), Blue, Green, and Yellow are always easy. Those are the four elemental gems. Problem is the rest. Sometimes you could work with Gray, Silver, Beige, Black, White, Pink, etc. but nothing is obvious yet. I haven't had a good sprite to recolor to make it work so far, so that didn't help either. My thought is to make it loosely based upon every boss. Save maybe one, though I guess Fargo kind of fits Brian slightly. Brian comes from a more royal name, after all. If not that, King Beigis who also has crazy hair.
briansprite.png

An example of what I mean.

Last edited:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up

Crash Bandicoot: 1 - Default, 2, 3, & 4 - Shiba Crash, Blue Hyena Crash, and Skunk Crash from CTR: Nitro Fueled, 5 - Red Palette,
6 - Green Palette, 7 - Pink Palette, 8 - Brown Palette.

Sora: 1 - Default, 2 - Valor Form, 3 - Wisdom Form, 4 - Master Form, 5 - Final Form, 6 - Riku, 7 - Kairi, 8 - Roxas.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I'd have to have a male and female Dovahkiin, and switch the races around. I don't know if we could use Khajiit or Argonians since those add tails, but the others may work. I made a mockup of them in the thread.
Even though I used Lydia as the female base, I really like how the colors there turned out, particularly the Altmer and Dunmer looks. Not sure if I'm quite as happy with the alts for the male version. Still, if I got an Orc recolor (with a slight model edit to give him the tusks), I'd play that one almost exclusively.

I also ran a few for Tails back in his thread, trying to keep the whole Sonic 'don't change the color too much and swap armbands around' thing

So:
  1. Default
  2. Green Chaos emeralds to go with Sonic's purple emerald recolor
  3. Purple fuzzy wristbands and a more purplish fur color to reference Blaze
  4. Vector's black wristbands and a darker, slightly greenish, color to go with it
  5. Blue glowy wristbands like Sonic's Crystal Ring one, but darker blue
  6. Gold rings and pinkish fur like Amy
  7. The red bands like the hands from the Sonic 2 Special Stage
  8. Sonic's Ark of the Cosmos bands, with a lighter fur like Silver.
EDIT: replaced attachment with an imgur upload

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace

For Syrup, I'd like these 2 alternate palettes based on the artwork of her classic appearance and monochrome sprite to appear. She could also have a costume modeled directly after her old school design.

Captain.Syrup.full.2427154.png

The Metal Slug crew could appear as alternates of eachother Hero-style. As far as alternate palettes go I'd want Marco to have one inspired by his zombie transformation from the games.

i08mzu61.jpg

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For Syrup, I'd like these 2 alternate palettes based on the artwork of her classic appearance and monochrome sprite to appear. She could also have a costume modeled directly after her old school design.
It kinda fails at being monochromatic (what with the yellow), but I love the darker skin tone and it compliments the rest of the outfit nicely.

EDIT: I think they yellow keeps it from being bland so I get why it's there.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
:ultlucario::ultsonic::ultpacman: "Tell me about it."
The odd thing is Sonic and Pac-Man do at least feel better than just purely "a shade difference". It's still bad, not as bad.

When I say Cloud, it's more you don't even have some decent indicators they're different(outside of Advent Children VS FFVII at best). Wrist bands, unique gloves, they're still more overall.

Regardless, yeah, a lot of the costumes suck.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Oh I did a plan for every alt of my MW some times ago!
Midna_Alts_Icons.png

In order, from Left to right, and from top to bottom, we have :
-Normal Alt (Team Yellow)
-Argorok Alt (Team Red)
-Zant Alt (Team Blue)
-King Bulbin Alt (Team Green)
-Light Spirit/Injured Midna Alt
-Illia Alt
-Majora Alt
-Ganondorf Alt

BZocky

Smash Ace
It kinda fails at being monochromatic (what with the yellow), but I love the darker skin tone and it compliments the rest of the outfit nicely.

EDIT: I think they yellow keeps it from being bland so I get why it's there.
It’s based on her sprite from Land 2 specifically I believe. Maybe monochrome wasn’t the right word, it’s more sepiatone.
C013470A-7CEC-4556-9FF1-FE7B0DF146DD.png

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Hey, I appreciate it! Honestly I'm going to take this to the grave as one of those minor achievements I'm inordinately proud of. :p The day the SNK copyright leaked was incredible especially because I wasn't super hot on all the rumored names until then.

I still can't believe it, honestly. I can say that I have two pipe dream characters in Smash now between Terry and Joker. Nuts.
Special shout outs to you two. While I was somewhat familiar with China beforehand (through Chinese teams being World Champion-tier contenders in Dota 2 and LoL on a yearly basis - scenes I follow at least somewhat) the SNK talk got me going - digging and becoming more familiar with how things are going there. As well as learning about SNK itself.

Thank you two.

The odd thing is Sonic and Pac-Man do at least feel better than just purely "a shade difference". It's still bad, not as bad.

When I say Cloud, it's more you don't even have some decent indicators they're different(outside of Advent Children VS FFVII at best). Wrist bands, unique gloves, they're still more overall.

I'll hazard a wild guess and say that in those cases Sakurai and co. didn't want to deviate from the standard forms too much (main color etc.). I'm not going to generalize the reason why though: In Sonic's case it could be related to him being added last-minute in Brawl and his costumes not overhauled since, in Pac-Man's someone in the dev team might've balked at a "too different" color scheme etc.

I'll re-emphasize, I'm hazarding a guess without much to back it up.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

True. None of them have a costume that's literally the same outfit with no color deviation, but with only one sleeve. It's pretty hard to beat that in terms of poor design regarding pallet swaps. I think the only one that beats it is Dark Phoenix with X-Factor in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

It’s based on her sprite from Land 2 specifically I believe. Maybe monochrome wasn’t the right word, it’s more sepiatone. View attachment 270383
*squints*
Oh that makes sense.
*squints more*
She looks like a cleaning lady...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll hazard a wild guess and say that in those cases Sakurai and co. didn't want to deviate from the standard forms too much (main color etc.). I'm not going to generalize the reason why though: In Sonic's case it could be related to him being added last-minute in Brawl and his costumes not overhauled since, in Pac-Man's someone in the dev team might've balked at a "too different" color scheme etc.

I'll re-emphasize, I'm hazarding a guess without much to back it up.
It's probably more the IP owners being stingy than Sakurai. He didn't have any real trouble finding ways to separate them until Brawl at best. He was given a lot more freedom with most 1st and 2nd party characters. Jigglypuff and Pikachu were given some pretty clear hats, at least. Even in Melee, it was pretty good outside of Mewtwo, who was awful.

But yeah, it's just a typical thing.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

...while I'm on a recolor roll, I also have the four BotW Champions as well.

1. Standard (and blue team)
  2. Recolor based on Nabooru
  3. Recolor based on Aveil (and red team)
  4. Recolor based on Riju
  5. Recolor based on Link's default crossdressing gear
  6. Recolor based on the Ocarina-style Gerudo thieves
  7. Recolor based on one of the mini-boss Pirates in Majora's Mask (and green team)
  8. Recolor based on Twinrova

1. Standard (blue team)
  2. Based on Teba
  3. Based on Harth
  4. Based on Kass
  5. Based on Medli
  6. A version wearing Link's green tunic (green team)
  7. Based on Windblight Ganon's color scheme (red team)
  8. Falco. Because of course.

1. Default (blue team)
  2. Based on Darunia with added sash (he is the Sage of Fire, after all...) Gold is from Goron's ruby (red team)
  3. Based on Link's transformation (green team)
  4. Based on Darmani's ghost
  5. Based on the Frost Talus enemies, and the fact that Snowhead is under...well, snow.
  6. Based on Fyrus
  7. Based on King Dodongo
  8. Based on Golem. The Pokémon. Because it's a rock, and it rolls...? I added some coloration from its Alola form

1. Default (and red team)
  2. Based on Ruto (with a green sash for her bethrothed :awesome:)
  3. Based on Lulu
  4. Based on Laruto
  5. Based on Rutela
  6. Based on King Dorephan (and blue team)
  7. Based on Oren (and green team)
  8. Black recolor since it looks cool

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I know both of these picks are unlikely/impossible due to comments by their respective owners

but

between Master Chief and Doomguy, who do you think would deserve to be the shooter rep more? (you cannot convince me the most deserving rep is not one of these two)
Depends on what you value more. Setting the standard for the Genre as a whole Doom, though you could make a case for Wolfenstein, Twice even, given the two recent Doom titles. Or setting another standard for the Genre after the first, BUT also setting the standard for Online gaming with Halo? I might give an edge to Doom on that regard. Because both are hugely important to gaming, But Doom put FPS games on the map. Again, both would clearly "deserve" it. In the same way both Sonic and Mega Man are iconic platformer series that introduced interesting mechanics/gimmicks that others in the genre didn't have yet, or didn't capitalize on. Like Mega Man's levels being done in your own order.

Mechanically, both would be pretty unique from the other. Doom's speedy and aggressive, Halo's a little more defensive by comparison, so the play-styles of Chief and Doomguy should reflect that.

Really, it's only their character aesthetics and genre that make them so similar on a surface level.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Found some nice Dixie Kong Colors made by Venus of the Desert Bloom.

As well as sets for Phoenix Wright and Chun-Li from UMVC3 and Street Fighter V.

You know what Pac-Man needed in his costumes?
View attachment 270391
A hat.
Also Ms. Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
As well as sets for Phoenix Wright and Chun-Li from UMVC3 and Street Fighter V.

That seventh costume for Pheonix seems to conflict with the Metal forms.

Also I’d love to see Chun-Li have her Alpha costume somewhere.

Also Ms. Pac-Man.

Kinda wish she was an echo, though the only moveset change I could think of was adapting the Lazy Fruit custom neutral from 4 (using the fruits from her game)

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
If your most wanted got in what would be their stage? Would it have cameos and who would it be? what might be the potential layout or mechanics to make it stand out?
From my FP:

- Professor Layton: it's hard to say. Maybe the most iconic place of the series is St. Mystere, but every game has a unique location! St. Mystere, the Molentary Express and Folsense, London from the future, the Garden of Healing, Ambrosia, Monte d'Or, all the locations from Azran Legacy. Luke, Emmy and Flora could appear in the background.
- The Knight: City of Tears, period. Maybe Hornet in the background
- Big Daddy: obviously Rapture. Maybe it can be more than one area, like Fort Frolic and Dionysus Park! Or maybe the stage could change from Rapture to Columbia through a tear.
- Grovyle: Wigglytuff Guild or Temporal Tower. Dusknoir, Celebi and all the guild members in the background.
- Shantae: I only played the first Shantae game, so I don't really know all the locations. So I'd say Scuttle Town.
- Marco/Tarma/Eri/Fio/Trevor/Nadia/Ralf/Clark: too many places! Maybe Metal Slug 2 and Metal Slug X final boss location?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
With my most wanted, Sgt. Cortez it'd be mostly the same as Bowser Jr.

Now there is a good reason for this (Besides me not being very good at colouring in Photoshop and a lack of a decent render for him let alone a Smash fan render). In TimeSplitters 2, when Cortez travels through time he takes the form of a person from that time as seen below.

Cortez-becomes-a-woman-2.gif

So for alts, I've decided to go for 4 men and 4 women to even out the costumes. Sgt. Cortez is the default, Corporal Hart is his partner and the rest are period specific characters that either Cortez or Hart can transform into.

Sgt. Cortez smash.jpg

Corp Hart smash.jpg

Captain Ash smash.jpg

Viola smash.jpg

Harry Tipper smash.jpg

Gretel MK2 smash.jpg

Elijah Jones smash.jpg

Chastity smash.jpg

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Same for me and Ryu Hayabusa. I know he has a couple of official re-colors too to fill out the the other 6 slots. I'm pretty sure DOA gave a red costume and a white costume too.

For Mega Man X, take your pick.
megaman_x_weapons_ver_ke_by_redblaze4080_d98v9k0-fullview.jpg

Whatever weapons they'd give Mega Man X, should be used for his color swaps, like Mega Man. But Melt Creeper, Storm Tornado, Drift Diamond, Yammark Option, Speed Burner and Sonic Slicer are some of my favorite color swaps. Along with the default of course.

Jin Kazama, If his costumes don't reference other Tekken characters, then at least his Blue costume from Tekken Tag and his White costume from Tekken 4 and 5 could make good alts. Red/Black would be the default, maybe something like Green to fill out the 4th. And a full on costume could be the hoodie from Tekken 4. Which could have a Purple version from T5, a Red/Black version from T7 and a White/Black version from T7 as well.
Jin_2_costiume_1.jpg

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Same for me and Ryu Hayabusa. I know he has a couple of official re-colors too to fill out the the other 6 slots. I'm pretty sure DOA gave a red costume and a white costume too.
I think for Ryu I’d lay it out like his modern costume Black with Green, White and Red to reference the DOA games and his NES costume would be default Blue, Purple for the sprite and Orange and Grey to reference the opening of the original game

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd swap the Pirate one with the Green Ninja Costume, from a distance, the Pirate one would a be too similar to her normal look, I think. And we don't need more Pac-Man situations. Otherwise, really cool choices.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Elma - palettes based on Lin, Lao, L, Celica, Irina, Gwin, and
a full alt of her true form (edited for good boys and girls)
Neku - palettes based on Shiki, Joshua, Beat, Rhyme, CAT, Kitaniji and Sho.
Octoling - Default is the deep magenta female from Octo Expansion, first male alt is the peach colored male Agent 8, the rest are Splatfest colors with the appropriate Splatfest shirts. Wizard Burgundy Unicorn Periwinkle (female), Knight Gray Narwhal Lavender (male), Mayo Pale Yellow (female), Ketchup Reddish-Orange (male), Chaos Gold (female), Order Silver (male).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just saw this video with an idea on how Diablo could work in Super Smash Bros. It sounds like a really interesting concept, though it sounds like a balancing nightmare, with any sort of imbalance in mechanics causing the character to become the next Smash 4 Bayonetta or the next Melee Bowser, but flashy. It also sounds like he could be the most annoying character in Super Smash Bros.

What do you guys think?

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
It's probably more the IP owners being stingy than Sakurai. He didn't have any real trouble finding ways to separate them until Brawl at best. He was given a lot more freedom with most 1st and 2nd party characters. Jigglypuff and Pikachu were given some pretty clear hats, at least. Even in Melee, it was pretty good outside of Mewtwo, who was awful.

But yeah, it's just a typical thing.
Why would IP owners act so stingy about alternate color palettes of all things? Doesn't make much sense to me.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
He thinks the next character is from ARMS.

No, he hasn't really said anything.
I do remember him saying something about looking into the League of Legends character rumor a while ago, but that thread where he posted it got deleted.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026

Embarrass GIVE Embarrass DOOMGUY Embarrass A Embarrass CLASSIC Embarrass ALT Embarrass

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Why would IP owners act so stingy about alternate color palettes of all things? Doesn't make much sense to me.
They could see the color of the character being too important to the design. Probably why Pac-Man stays Yellow, and Sonic's colors are all Blue or Blue adjacent. I think Cloud's are also pretty meh, more so than Sonic's.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They could see the color of the character being too important to the design. Probably why Pac-Man stays Yellow, and Sonic's colors are all Blue or Blue adjacent.
SEGA will cry if Sonic is any color that isn't blue because it'll make someone's ****ty OC a reality.

God forbid we get yellow...

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
SEGA will cry if Sonic is any color that isn't blue because it'll make someone's ****ty OC a reality.

God forbid we get yellow...
I beg to differ
e2e.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom