• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
That's not true. They've been holding Party Crashes since June of last year, and they've also had at least one Global Testpunch every year since 2017. There was a long gap after the last Party Crash, but it's never truly stopped being promoted since it was released.

Compare that to Treasure Tracker, which was released a year later (July 2018). The last notable update was in March 2019 where they added seventeen more levels. After that, the only other thing they've done is add Labo VR support for four levels back in July 2019.

Not saying Captain Toad didn't get any promotion, but compared to other Switch titles in the past three years, it's nothing crazy.
I think you're forgetting one thing: Captian Toad is a port. While the amount of post-release support might not compare to new games, it's leaps and bounds ahead of most of the other Wii U ports. A substantial DLC expansion, the labo support, it even got a 3ds port! I'm pretty sure the only other port with comparable post-launch support is Pokken, but I think Toad has even surpassed it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The one thing I wonder is if they do Spring Man (Maybe Ribbon Girl as an echo fighter to boot) is if they'll replace him with Springtron as his assist trophy.
It'd be cool, but it would take waaaaaaay less work to just turn off the AT if Spring-Man is playable, and if he was in a match currently.

All Right Time for round 3!

Pick 3 characters to be in Smash. And make sure you pick 3 characters in the image below instead of naming random characters this time. :chuckle:
Thanks again for everyone’s participation!
Spyro, Scorpion and Lara.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
That's not true. They've been holding Party Crashes since June of last year, and they've also had at least one Global Testpunch every year since 2017. There was a long gap after the last Party Crash, but it's never truly stopped being promoted since it was released.
TBF I don't really think in-game events count towards an game's promotional marketing -- and even then going nine months without one is a pretty sure sign that a game had been abandoned.

IMO there's not really an argument that this move by Nintendo had any other goal than resuscitating ARMS

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
There actually has been an official statement from Sakurai himself that implies that Assist Trophies wouldn't be playable (and it was about Waluigi no less). It was on Miiverse though so good luck finding it. Still, I think Spring Man is possible since...Well it's the character they crafted to be the best representative of the series. Why would you not add him?
I would need to know both the context and timeline to know whether it means anything. If it was made back in Brawl's day for instance, then it is meaningless given the drastically different climate at the time. As for Springman, I wasn't commenting on his likelihood; I agree that he is a very likely candidate for the slot (I personally believe we'll get another Hero circumstance with Springman being the face character). Still, his likelihood shouldn't have an effect on his appeal. The idea of wanting a character in smash simply because they are likely seems like a silly one to me. I'm not saying that what you're saying, I just felt the need to bring that up.

I also don't think that development marketing should have an impact on the choice. He may have been been crafted as the best representative of the series, but he fails to do that in my opinion. When I see Arms content online, most of it seems to be in relation to many of the various other characters in the series. The thing is, I feel strongly that if Springman is added, it won't be a ARMs character all smash playing ARMs fans can get behind. From what I've seen, a pick like Min Min, Ribbon girl, or Twintelle would do a better job at unifying the fan base. That to me seems like a good enough reason not to add him. Granted, if they go the Hero route that issue becomes non-existant.

In the end though it is clear Sakurai wanted to add in Springman to the initial roster which greatly supports that character. The question to me then becomes, is he coming alone? Or is there is a chance that Sakurai changed his mind on the ARMs character based on fan reception? The fact that Springman is an assist trophy isn't even a part of the equation. I would've thought Chrom ended this line of thinking a year ago.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Compare that to Treasure Tracker, which was released a year later (July 2018). The last notable update was in March 2019 where they added seventeen more levels. After that, the only other thing they've done is add Labo VR support for four levels back in July 2019.
Online multiplayer events are not DLC. There's no actual additional content there.

Treasure Tracker meanwhile doesn't get online multiplayer events due to, ya know, not being an online multiplayer game.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
There actually has been an official statement from Sakurai himself that implies that Assist Trophies wouldn't be playable (and it was about Waluigi no less). It was on Miiverse though so good luck finding it. Still, I think Spring Man is possible since...Well it's the character they crafted to be the best representative of the series. Why would you not add him?
The mere fact that it was on Miiverse may indicate that said statement is outdated.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Since we're talking Alucard in Smash, I know it would never happen due to more popular characters being more likely to be chosen first, but I would absolutely adore my favorite Castlevania character, Shanoa.
Castlevania's got a lot of cool characters, so I'd be down to see Shanoa.

Besides, she's got Rock Hands and legit Reppukens.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The mere fact that it was on Miiverse may indicate that said statement is outdated.
The statement was also likely during when Smash 4’s basegame wasn’t released yet, and was likely something like “just because you try hard doesn’t mean you’ll make it into the battle!” I would think his statement on Skull Kid, saying he appears as an AT and not a fighter, would be better evidence - but that was also a long time before DLC was even heard of for Smash, since he was the first AT shown off for the game, about a little(?) over a year before the game released.

So...I don’t think we need to worry about what Sakurai said on Miiverse if we want AT promotions.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Alright people. Swords? Been there done that. Guns? Seen it before. Hammers? Bland. Bow and Arrows? Yawn. I've got a weapon no one really talks about and would be pretty sick.

NUNCHUKS.

The Arms character miiiiiight use them, but I'm more so talking about main weapons here. Can anyone think of a character that'd primarily use weapons that are at least kind of similar to them?

D

Deleted member

Alright people. Swords? Been there done that. Guns? Seen it before. Hammers? Bland. Bow and Arrows? Yawn. I've got a weapon no one really talks about and would be pretty sick.

NUNCHUKS.

The Arms character miiiiiight use them, but I'm more so talking about main weapons here. Can anyone think of a character that'd primarily use weapons that are at least kind of similar to them?
Doing my research I found that Ryu Hayabusa uses nunchuks in Ninja Gaiden Black.

There are also some Tekkén fighters who use them apparently.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

NUNCHUKS.

There's the protagonist in Suikoden V, Freyjadour. Uses a bo staff that turns into a tri-segmented nunchuck.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

NUNCHUKS.

My boy Maxi.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There's the protagonist in Suikoden V, Freyjadour. Uses a bo staff that turns into a tri-segmented nunchuck.
That sounds like it's Stinkmeaner approved.

My boy Maxi.
I kind of liked using Maxi in the SC games. Though Siegfried, Kilik and Yoshimitsu are the main characters I use in that series.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

NUNCHUKS.

reckless wiimote guy :4pacman:

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

NUNCHUKS.

Like every weapon in and out of existence, Dante has wielded nunchuks.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Like every weapon in and out of existence, Dante has wielded nunchuks.
I know about that, but I'm talking main weapon, and Dante's is definitely Rebellion/Ebony Ivory. Still, if he got to also use Cerberus or King Cerberus that'd be cool.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
  • Ryu Hayabusa of Ninja Gaiden can buy and use a pair of Nunchucks. He can pick up a modified version later: Nunchucks with small scythe blades on the ends.
  • In Final Fantasy I, the Monk can use five weapons (in descending power level): his fists, iron nunchucks, iron staff, wooden nunchucks, and wooden staff. The Ninja can also use the nunchucks, but by the time you get a ninja, he'll have vastly superior weapons anyway.
  • Selphie in Final Fantasy VIII uses nunchucks with ridiculously long handles. Her upgraded ones feature mace heads.
  • Fang in Final Fantasy XIII wields a double headed spear that can segment into a three section staff for her combo finishers.
  • Maxi of the Soulcalibur series uses chucks, as did his predecessor and mentor Li Long from Soul Edge. In games and versions where nunchaku are banned, these are replaced by a sansetsukon. The third stick apparently makes it a-ok by the law.
  • Suikoden:
  • Freyjadour, the hero of Suikoden V, uses an ornamental sansetsukon that (unlike real-life ones) can transform into a one-piece staff. Roy, in keeping with his role as the hero's Body Double, wields an exact copy of it.
    • Nanami in Suikoden II uses a sansetuskon, though hers is a more realistic depiction.
  • Zero The Kamikaze Squirrel uses a nunchuck. It's quite powerful, but short ranged, and it's the only way to attack the final boss during one of his phases.
  • Ling Tong of Dynasty Warriors also uses nunchucks. He later switches to a san jie gun by the time of Dynasty Warriors 8.
    • Guan Suo gets the nunchucks as of 7.
  • Chucks is one weapon the Dudes can pick up and use in Bad Dudes.
  • Koei's other sibling-franchise Samurai Warriors has Hideyoshi Toyotomi, who favors the sansetuskon. Curiously, while it would be geographically and chronologically appropriate, nunchaku do not appear in the series.
  • In the Mortal Kombat titles where weapons are featured, expect Liu Kang and/or Johnny Cage to use these.
  • Devil May Cry's Dante generally fights with fists, swords or guns, but one of the more exotic weapons he owns is a three-piece nunchaku, consisting of three bars that are chained to a central ring, made from the collar of a Cerberus that he defeated.
  • Bayonetta can get her hands on a pair of nunchucks called Sai Fung, and true to form, she busts out the Funny Bruce Lee Noises when laying into angels with them. In fact, they're not just nunchucks. They're gunchucks.
    • Jeanne's version of the weapon is called Tang Lung. Unlike her rival, she doesn't bother with the Funny Bruce Lee Noises.
  • In The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, if a Stalfos looses his mace, he will use his arm as one of these!
  • Deus of Asura's Wrath fights with electric nunchucks known as the Sakras.
  • In Vigilante, nunchakus are the only weapon you can obtain and use. A nunchaku is more powerful than your bare fists, but it's less effective for Scoring Points.
  • Nunchucks appear in Makai Kingdom as a powerful short-ranged weapon, favored by Merchants, Chefs, Berserkers, Hellcats, and the masked Muscle Demons.
  • There's a scene in Dead or Alive 4 where Jann Lee and Ryu Hayabusa both show off with a set of nunchucks before they fight. The former has also defeat a group of thugs with his nunchucks in his ending in DOA3.
  • Fei Long from Super Street Fighter II and onward plays with a set in one of his victory poses, though it never figures into his movesets. Must be something that comes with being a Bruce Lee Clone?
  • In Tekken 5, nunchuks are a costume item for Marshall Law. He gets to finally use one during a fight in Tekken 6 and Tag 2. When his son Forest tries to use the nunchuck, he accidentally throws them out of a window and causes a chain of car accidents.
  • Jon Talbain (Gallon in Japan) from Darkstalkers pulls some nunchucks straight out of Hammerspace in some special attacks, probably to emphasize his training in the martial arts.
  • In Wizardry 8, nunchaku are weapons available relatively early on for use by the "eastern" classes (monk, samurai, and ninja). While they're short range, and all three classes tend to eventually specialize in other areas (unarmed/staves, swords, and thrown weapons, respectively), nunchaku make for decent early weapons with their relatively high chance of knocking enemies unconscious.
  • Shows up in Legend of Mana as a weapon type (called Flails by the game, but all combat animations depict nunchaku, not to mention all of their techs having wuxia-inspired names). Although weak weapons, they are great tools for comboing, and their techs do high damage against single opponents at short range.
  • Although it may be weaker than other melee weapons available in Yo! Joe! Beat the Ghosts, nunchaku has the advantage of passing through walls and platforms and hitting enemies from a relatively safe distance.
  • The Escapists lets you make one yourself, with two logs and some wire. It's one of the deadliest weapons in the game (fitting, as you're a prison inmate). It also requires a high intelligence to MAKE in the first place.
  • The Ninja Warriors Again: This is Ninja's Weapon of Choice. He uses it to great effect by spinning it around to hit enemies in an area around him.
  • Warframe has the Shaku and Ninkondi, with the latter having earned a Prime variant.
Ninja from Ninja Warriors seems like your best bet, being the protagonist of a classic gaming series.

Plus, who would turn down the opportunity to have Daddy Mulk in Smash!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Online multiplayer events are not DLC. There's no actual additional content there.

Treasure Tracker meanwhile doesn't get online multiplayer events due to, ya know, not being an online multiplayer game.
Doesn't matter if there's new content being added via DLC or not. They're still taking the time to make online events and promote those events via Twitter, their websites, etc.

That qualifies as them supporting the game.

I think you're forgetting one thing: Captian Toad is a port. While the amount of post-release support might not compare to new games, it's leaps and bounds ahead of most of the other Wii U ports. A substantial DLC expansion, the labo support, it even got a 3ds port! I'm pretty sure the only other port with comparable post-launch support is Pokken, but I think Toad has even surpassed it.
Even if it's a decent port compared to others, I don't expect any port or remake on the Switch to influence the DLC. Despite people tending to treat them as equals to new games, they never lead to us getting notable content in Smash. The only exception I can think of is OoT3D and Gerudo Valley.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter if there's new content being added via DLC or not. They're still taking the time to make online events and promote those events via Twitter, their websites, etc.

If you want to qualify having some intern making a few twitter posts as support, you go right ahead. I don't.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I would have loved Alucard but after the new season of Netflixvania turned him into a
bottom who cries in the act
I'm really not feeling it.
I know how it feels to see an adaptation quite frankly destroy something you like. I personally dropped the series when i realized they weren't going to bother to bring in Grant Danasty. But this is the newcomer speculation thread, not the "I ****ing despise Netflixvania for everything that has done ever since episode 2 so im gonna vent hard on this *****" thread.

As someone who likes Sonic and Spiderman, you get used to multiple interpretations of the same franchise and its characters, some great (DBS Broly) and others terrible (Boom Knuckles)

But honestly, i don't think any gaming adaptation does any impact to a franchise in Smash (Advent Children and the Pokémon anime are exceptions, not the norm). Trevor's spirit uses his Curse of Darkness look.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I know how it feels to see an adaptation quite frankly destroy something you like. I personally dropped the series when i realized they weren't going to bother to bring in Grant Danasty. But this is the newcomer speculation thread, not the "I ****ing despise Netflixvania for everything that has done ever since episode 2 so im gonna vent hard on this *****" thread.

As someone who likes Sonic and Spiderman, you get used to multiple interpretations of the same franchise and its characters, some great (DBS Broly) and others terrible (Boom Knuckles)

But honestly, i don't think any gaming adaptation does any impact to a franchise in Smash (Advent Children and the Pokémon anime are exceptions, not the norm). Trevor's spirit uses his Curse of Darkness look.
I mean I don't think he's destroyed, they just had a moment with him that's really far from his established image and damages his characterization a little. I get that it was to make him more sympathetic and give him more reason to follow in his father's footsteps, I just think it could've been done better.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If you want to qualify having some intern making a few twitter posts as support, you go right ahead. I don't.
Well, I don't know what else to tell you. According to you, Party Crashes that have gone on since June 2019 don't count as promotion, tweets that encourage you to play said Party Crashes don't count as promotion, and the multiple Global Testpunches which are special demos held for the specific purpose of trying to get people to play the game don't count as promotion.

ARMS died after Dr. Coyle was released in late 2017, and Nintendo hasn't bothered to keep ARMS relevant at all since then. They just randomly decided to add a character in Smash after giving up on the game for nearly two and half years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel Nintendo is planning something with Arms.

Whether It is a sequel, something unexpected to push the still-unreleased visual novel or some shocking resurrection of the game It feels as if Nintendo still sees potential on the IP and doesn't want to let It go yet.

I personally would really welcome a sequel, but if they managed to resurrect the original game by adding a lot of new content I would welcome that too.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel Nintendo is planning something with Arms.

Whether It is a sequel, something unexpected to push the still-unreleased visual novel or some shocking resurrection of the game It feels as if Nintendo still sees potential on the IP and doesn't want to let It go yet.

I personally would really welcome a sequel, but if they managed to resurrect the original game by adding a lot of new content I would welcome that too.
The concept and the character designs alone is enough reason to at least value keeping the IP, but Nintendo could turn ARMS into another successful franchise if they just figured out a way to flesh out the game. Maybe add more attacks outside the arms and throw in some kind of adventure mode?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Even if it's a decent port compared to others, I don't expect any port or remake on the Switch to influence the DLC. Despite people tending to treat them as equals to new games, they never lead to us getting notable content in Smash. The only exception I can think of is OoT3D and Gerudo Valley.
FRLG was probably part of the reason we got :pt:. Pirate Ship came back as DLC in Smash 4, probably because of WWHD. :ulthero:'s branding uses DQ11S, leading many to think promotion was part of the reason he was added.

It's not a common occurence, but remakes do sometimes affect the roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its possible too adding ARMS into the roster is an way to make it more popular and well known as with Fire Emblem. Who even knew Fire Emblem before Melee?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They were talking about a pirate with a landship in S3 so I'm still holding out for Grant
Yeah, but that's one of those things that make it feel like it's NOT going to happen. Like, they already met this character, and he were a joke to them, and we didn't even get to see it. It's a gag at the character's expense.

It's kinda annoying, cause one of Ellis's complaints about the character is like "A pirate in a landlocked county would be stupid" And then this season has a bunch of port cities, AND a ship captain and crew, and he STILL doesn't include him. Like, WTF!

Well, I don't know what else to tell you. According to you, Party Crashes that have gone on since June 2019 don't count as promotion, tweets that encourage you to play said Party Crashes don't count as promotion
I didn't say they don't count as promotion. I said they don't count as support.

If Nintendo took some 10 year old game on the eshop and put it on sale, that would be promoting that game. But I wouldn't call it supporting that game. Support is adding things to a game, fixing problems with a game, etc. It's not just reminding you to play a game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom