• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Im sitting here shacking my head at all the m rated reps people want. Just give me my cereal box mascots please.

Oh. Insults. Doing great for your case. Now i want him even less.
...ok? You can want whoever you want I'm sorry that your argument was flawed from the beginning.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wasn't Sans the most popular and the most treatment he got was an Mii costume.

I can't see it at this point tbh. If he couldn't make it as an fighter I can't see any other Indie rep getting in either.
There is still Quote, Shantae, Ori, the Knight, and Reimu left. Possibly more I can't name....

I do think that Nintendo could let a Indie Character be a fighter with how Indie games are doing with Nintendo in Nindies Directs

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There is still Quote, Shantae, Ori, the Knight, and Reimu left. Possibly more I can't name....

I do think that Nintendo could let a Indie Character be a fighter with how Indie games are doing with Nintendo in Nindies Directs
From what I've seen though especially given the memes I had the hunch that Sans was the most popular even among those characters and isn't he? If the most popular couldn't make it what makes you think those others below him has a chance to get in over him?

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
...ok? You can want whoever you want I'm sorry that your argument was flawed from the beginning.
Man. You suck at pr.
Not flawed. Mk is banned in japan. Mk is ultra violent from the start. You want to bend the character as hard as you can to get what you want. That is it.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Gunvolt? Jason?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Doom Slayer was denied due to Japanese factor. Doom 2016 sold 6k... Halo 3 at least sold like 110k which isn't much lower than Banjo's 460k in Japan sales.

Still, I can't believe that language barrier is a thing for Sakurai. If Team Ninja could work with Bungie for DOA4, I don't think language barrier should be big issue.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wasn't Sans the most popular and the most treatment he got was an Mii costume.

I can't see it at this point tbh. If he couldn't make it as an fighter I can't see any other Indie rep getting in either.
Shovel Knight was probably the most popular, and by some distance, he had a decent movement behind him during the ballot days.

But yeah, I do agree with your overall point, if Shovel Knight and Sans can't break the barrier, I highly doubt any of the other remaining indie options will. I'd absolutely love The Knight or Hornet, but I'll also be happy if Hollow Knight just gets a Spirit Event or something, any representation should be taken as a win in indie characters' cases imo.

Dukefire

Smash Master
From what I've seen though especially given the memes I had the hunch that Sans was the most popular even among those characters.
Being popular is one, but you don't need a lot of popularity from just memes, having great mechanics and many more reasons just to be well known.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Shovel Knight was probably the most popular, and by some distance, he had a decent movement behind him during the ballot days.

But yeah, I do agree with your overall point, if Shovel Knight and Sans can't break the barrier, I highly doubt any of the other remaining indie options will. I'd absolutely love The Knight or Hornet, but I'll also be happy if Hollow Knight just gets a Spirit Event or something, any representation should be taken as a win in indie characters' cases imo.
Shovel knight was the top. If he coyld not make it, i have little hope for the rest. Premium miis were also a nail in that coffin.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Shovel knight was the top. If he coyld not make it, i have little hope for the rest. Premium miis were also a nail in that coffin.
Hence why I don't see an Indie getting in.

RIP Shantae, Hollow Knight, Quote, Gunvolt, etc.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think the main issue with Sans is a combination of his requests coming too late for proper consideration and it being hard to think of a moveset for him. And really, the Indie world revolves around more than just Undertale and Cuphead. There's been Indie series going around for much longer than those two games ever existing.

But that may be just me, though. I never saw people make a proper moveset for Sans before he got Costumed and I played Undertale.

D

Deleted member

Man. You suck at pr.
Not flawed. Mk is banned in japan. Mk is ultra violent from the start. You want to bend the character as hard as you can to get what you want. That is it.
That's literally what Sakurai did for Bayonetta and Snake. I do not see an issue with M-Rated characters getting in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think the main issue with Sans is a combination of his requests coming too late for proper consideration and it being hard to think of a moveset for him. And really, the Indie world revolves around more than just Undertale and Cuphead. There's been Indie series going around for much longer than those two games ever existing.

But that may be just me, though. I never saw people make a proper moveset for Sans before he got Costumed and I played Undertale.
If Shovel Knight couldn't make it, the most popular Indie. Then I doubt any Indie rep can.

I think we can rule them out.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see since Nintendo still holds all the cards on the remaining 6 Challengers. We'll never know if they decide to throw a curveball

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 263228
The day of reckoning has arrived

heres the real tweet
"Isabelle was last seen boarding a plane for her Island Getaway. Officials say the plane lost contact after flying two hours over the ocean waters. After two grueling days of looking, rescuers are still searching for any sign of the plane and Isabelle. We were able to get a statement from CEO Tom Nook.

"Yes, this seems very unfortunate for Ms. Isabelle, hm? Luckily, I have more than enough free time to cover for her absence in Smash Bros. until she is found. This is quite the good news, wouldn't you agree?"

D

Deleted member

No. Snake and bayo are not the same level as mk characters.

Do we want the mk cartoon scorpion? KOMBAT TIME!
What does Scorpion do that is too gory for Smash beyond fatalities and X-rays? At most, he just has a grappling hook, fire breath, and swords, which are already implemented into characters in Smash.

And no, Bayo is clearly hyper violent. Enemies blow up in gushes of blood and Bayonetta literally sexually tortures some of them.

I'm not ****ing kidding. Do you see this in Smash Bros anywhere?

Of course you don't. You just omit the **** that wont work.

Last edited by a moderator:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
The only reason why I think someone like Reimu has a better chance for an Indie rep than what people say is that she has history with Touhou being around the late 90's. Most of the Indie characters except for Shantae debuted in the 2010's. And Touhou influenced other Indie games including Undertale, is huge in Japan to the point of it having its own conventions, among other things.

Also Reimu is a humanoid Shmup rep, which if we get one, she'd be a bit easier to implement unless Sakurai goes the wacky route of a tiny, flying Vic Viper as a fighter... Which admittedly, would be hilarious to see.

I wanna say her or Quote are the only viable ones left. Maayyybeee Shantae if the "Spirit=deconfirmation" fanrule isn't real.

At the very least it's what I noticed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wanted to speak about the Various sites on Smash Ultimate information. They are saying that this is the fan's last chance to getting their said character in since Sakurai said that Season 2 FP is the last DLC. While we don't know if DLC is finished after 2 years are done, best to keep an open mind since their could be changes as time progress.

For now, your character(s) still have time before all 6 slots are taken

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
What does Scorpion do that is too gory for Smash beyond fatalities and X-rays? At most, he just has a grappling hook, fire breath, and swords, which are already implemented into characters in Smash.

And no, Bayo is clearly hyper violent. Enemies blow up in gushes of blood and Bayonetta literally sexually tortures some of them.

Scorpion rips off his face to shot fire.
Grappling hook is mear to impale.
Sword is ok.

Cartoon scorpion it is.

For bayo, it is a fair argument, but she is not the same level of character scorpion is. Bayo is not a gamer household name. Almost everyone knows of mk.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wanna say her or Quote are the only viable ones left. Maayyybeee Shantae if the "Spirit=deconfirmation" fanrule isn't real.
A fair point you made with Reimu but if Shovel Knight couldn't get in who was more popular then Quote and Shantate then I don't see them happening.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imo indies aren’t competition for each other, they’re still different games made by different people. If only one were to get in Ultimate, it wouldn’t be because they’re representing indies as a whole.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Of course you don't. You just omit the **** that wont work.
You'd have better luck arguing with a brick wall at this point

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wanted to speak about the Various sites on Smash Ultimate information. They are saying that this is the fan's last chance to getting their said character in since Sakurai said that Season 2 FP is the last DLC. While we don't know if DLC is finished after 2 years are done, best to keep an open mind since their could be changes as time progress.

For now, your character(s) still have time before all 6 slots are taken
3 years, after V2, it'd have been 3 years, which is actually pretty normal for major Nintendo releases

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Imo indies aren’t competition for each other, they’re still different games made by different people. If only one were to get in Ultimate, it wouldn’t be because they’re representing indies as a whole.
Yes but my point is if Shovel Knight, probably the most popular Indie rep at most got an assist then what chances would any of the others even get?

D

Deleted member

Scorpion rips off his head to shot fire.
Grappling hook is mear to impale.
Sword is ok.

Cartoon scorpion it is.
Isn't he literally just taking off his mask to breath fire. He's literally undead. His head is just a skeleton.
Don't even think for a second that the grapping hook wouldn't work like Link's hookshot, a weapon that has protuding spikes at the end that would tear through a stomach if put into Mortal Kombat. You're creatively challenged if you can't imagine that.

Dukefire

Smash Master
To point some light, some Indies does have roots with Nintendo or just have a History with their fanbase that isn't easily forgettable. Though, its up to the Indie's creator with the Negotiations of Nintendo and Sakurai for the final call

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Isn't he literally just taking off his mask to breath fire. He's literally undead. His head is just a skeleton.
Don't even think for a second that the grapping hook wouldn't work like Link's hookshot, a weapon that has protuding spikes at the end that would tear through a stomach if put into Mortal Kombat. You're creatively challenged if you can't imagine that.
Again with pr.
And yes. Cartoon scorpion .
KOMBAT TIME!

To point some light, some Indies does have roots with Nintendo or just have a History with their fanbase that isn't easily forgettable. Though, its up to the Indie's creator with the Negotiations of Nintendo and Sakurai for the final call
I feel indies were killed with the miis. Which sucks. Quote would be cool.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
I think its safe to say that the guy your replying to is trolling.

Scorpion/Sub zero can clearly fit in Smash with the movesets they have. The fact that some people try to argue "hurr durr their fans will be outraged if they cant fatality someone" is just sad at this point. Kinda annoying that this is even a debate tbh.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes but my point is if Shovel Knight, probably the most popular Indie rep at most got an assist then what chances would any of the others even get?
Depends on what Sakurai and Nintendo see in them. I don’t particularly see any of them as likely, though, but Reimu may have a shot. I don’t think popularity alone matters.

Of course there’s always Steve, even if he isn’t indie anymore.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Scorpion doesn't even take his mask off to breathe fire in MK11. He just does it.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think the Hollow knight or Hornet might have some chances to be in, but I have no idea if Hollow knight is as successful in Japan that it is in the West. Aside from him and Reimu and don't see other indie character happening.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think its safe to say that the guy your replying to is trolling.

Scorpion/Sub zero can clearly fit in Smash with the movesets they have. The fact that some people try to argue "hurr durr their fans will be outraged if they cant fatality someone" is just sad at this point. Kinda annoying that this is even a debate tbh.
I am not trolling. I honestly think mk, while a good series, is not suitable for smash. His insults have degraded the conversation. And we will not agree on this.

Eh. If Snake is just Cartoon Snake and Bayo is just Cartoon Bayo, then somehow I think Cartoon Scorpion will work out alright.
But they are not. Snake had always been goofy. He was in skateboarding. Bayo, is a tough one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Btw it's so surreal we're using Bayonetta as an argument of why certain characters can potentially get in when 5 years ago the mere suggestion of her would be dismissed for multiple reasons, including the reason she's currently being used to defend other potential characters now. As someone who will gladly admit being wrong there, it's kinda funny

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat 11 didn't even come out in Japan, Scorpion is kinda dead in the water in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom