• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Still don't understand why Travis can't get in due to some taunt from his games due to CERO. Simply just don't have it. Pretty certain he has plenty of other taunts that wouldn't be as inappropriate for "good boys and girls".
That isn’t a taunt btw. That’s the animation he makes when he needs to recharge his beam katana if it’s low on power. It doesn’t even need to be a taunt as it’d be better included as a gimmick and they might not even include it as a gimmick if he were to be picked. That or they just change it entirely

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Btw it's so surreal we're using Bayonetta as an argument of why certain characters can potentially get in when 5 years ago the mere suggestion of her would be dismissed for multiple reasons, including the reason she's currently being used to defend other potential characters now. As someone who will gladly admit being wrong there, it's kinda funny
If i am wrong, i am wrong. No issue with that. I just do not see him having a chance. The sum of his parts is worse the the snippets of everyone else in my mind.

At best, sub zero without the spin rip would work.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So I actually went back to looking at the Dante articles, and I feel it's best to clarify.

First, Mr. Itsuno is interviewed and the article for said interview is published on February 7th. It can be found here. In the article, he says that Dante should be on Nintendo consoles first before being in Smash. He says, "Get on it!" around the "port manager" who happens to be at the interview. So this now happens to be over a year ago.

Next, on May 7th, Devil May Cry Switch port is announced officially. This means there's a timeline of 3 months where the game is announced for Switch. Obviously negotiations are a thing, as is development. Granted, it's a port so much of the game is already set to start on.

I do think the whole thing is interesting. Doesn't confirm Dante at all, but the thing of it is...the context of those comments was Dante being in Smash. That in itself is pretty crazy.
If anything that interview disconfirmed Dante for base game, which was pretty much a given if you ask me. We don't know when negotiations for pass 1 took place, or at least I don't remember that info, but he is definitely alive for pass 2 until Itsuno or another key figure at Capcom says the opposite. Certainly I would say that the timing of Itsuno's words, the ports and the second fighter pass lines up pretty well, but of course that doesn't guarantee nothing for Dante's inclusion.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Man. You suck at pr.
Not flawed. Mk is banned in japan. Mk is ultra violent from the start. You want to bend the character as hard as you can to get what you want. That is it.
Snake and Bayonetta, my dude.

Also, Mortal Kombat is easily among the easiest Rated-M franchises to translate to Smash. While I do think Doomguy is one of the harder M Rated ones to put in Smash, but it's certainly not impossible.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That isn’t a taunt btw. That’s the animation he makes when he needs to recharge his beam katana if it’s low on power. It doesn’t even need to be a taunt as it’d be better included as a gimmick and they might not even include it as a gimmick if he were to be picked. That or they just change it entirely
It's ridiculously easy to change it to a generic shake instead of the typical penis joke and if anyone tries to tell you Travis' character would be ruined by it, they clearly don't understand Travis as a character. Besides, it's not like Smash would be able to translate him being a psychopath to begin with

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It's ridiculously easy to change it to a generic shake instead of the typical penis joke and if anyone tries to tell you Travis' character would be ruined by it, they clearly don't understand Travis as a character. Besides, it's not like Smash would be able to translate him being a psychopath to begin with
Someone had the idea of shaking it like a Wiimote. It would fit Travis’s fourth wall breaking nature to a tee and is the system he originated on.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, the recharging animation really isn't that significant to warrant excluding Travis over. It can easily be changed. Things have changed in the past, and not even just with violence or sexuality.

You remember in Bayonetta's trailer when she ends it with "Don't mess with a witch?" That's an explicit callback to a line from her games...but let's just say that "mess" was a different four letter word.

There are workarounds.

D

Deleted member

Is the charging animation really the only thing preventing Travis from being in? You know he could just... not recharge the sword right?

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Bruh, do you not remember friendships or babalities? Mortal Kombat was dumb as Hell back in the day.
In fact, considering Smash's nature as basically a museum of video game history in playable form; how Friendships relate to MK's history as one of the games that basically influenced the creation of the ESRB; and the reason these "alternate fatalities" were put in place, having a Friendship as a Final Smash would be an interesting callback.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Find it funny this convo about Travis is happening meanwhile one of Bayonetta's most memorable lines when she beats a level with a really high score is "I SHOULD'VE BECOME A POLE DANCER! ;)"

Unfortunately, I don't think that's exactly kosher.

D

Deleted member

In fact, considering Smash's nature as basically a museum of video game history in playable form; how Friendships relate to MK's history as one of the games that basically influenced the creation of the ESRB; and the reason these "alternate fatalities" were put in place, having a Friendship as a Final Smash would be an interesting callback.
I would imagine a cooler one would be having Raiden contact the Elder Gods.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Is the masturbation thing really the only thing preventing Travis from being in? You know he could just... not recharge the sword right?
Or use a different motion.

Find it funny this convo about Travis is happening meanwhile one of Bayonetta's most memorable lines when she beats a level with a really high score is "I SHOULD'VE BECOME A POLE DANCER! ;)"

Unfortunately, I don't think that's exactly kosher.
Meanwhile in Palutena's side taunt

osby

Smash Obsessed
Something something Palutena.

Krankees

Smash Ace
They toned down Bayonetta's final smash because she gets full on naked when she summons monsters in her game. Travis's animations can easily be changed.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Bayonetta has some of her attack animations altered so she doesn't show too much skin, especially her final smash where it was changed so she isn't completely nude after summoning Gomorrah

Joker's final smash was changed to have sparkles coming out of the other fighters instead of blood

Really though, characters from m-rated games can work in Smash, but there are times where they have to change some things in order to fit the ratings. In Travis's situation, there are changes that can be easily made, like an alteration to his charging animation for beam katana.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Lara Croft is bigger than all of them.
Yea gonna have to agree with this.
I don’t think Lara Croft is the icon as much as her series is though.
Either way, history wise, she more than earned a spot on the roster, and seeing as Tomb Raider is one of squares top 3 money makers I can’t say I’d be surprised by her inclusion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yea gonna have to agree with this.
I don’t think Lara Croft is the icon as much as her series is though.
Either way, history wise, she more than earned a spot on the roster, and seeing as Tomb Raider is one of squares top 3 money makers I can’t say I’d be surprised by her inclusion.
Actually, I'd say Lara Croft is a bigger icon than her own series.

A lot of people unfamiliar with Tomb Raider can at least identify her.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Lara Croft is bigger than all of them.
While I don't personally think she is more iconic than Crash or Master Chief. I whole heartedly want Lara Croft in this game regardless. She is quite the female video game star. Right up there with Chun'li, Peach, Zelda, Samus, and Morrigan.

Then again.... Tomb Raider has it's own movies and what not. The series (Tomb Raider) vs the character (Lara Croft) in an *iconic* battle is quite an intriguing debacle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I don't personally think she is more iconic than Crash or Master Chief. I whole heartedly want Lara Croft in this game regardless. She is quite the female video game star. Right up there with Chun'li, Peach, Zelda, and Morrigan.
Crash is nowhere near as iconic, he was the mascot of the original PS, and then was completely forgotten about by the general public after a period where his games ranged from okay to terrible.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Realisticly/objectively speaking, the only western IPs that do feel "Smash worthy" are

Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo history)
Crash Bandicoot (historical popularity in Japan)
Minecraft (contemporary popularity in Japan)

Tomb Raider wasn't that big of a deal there during the 90s so I don't think Lara would be that much of a compelling pick to Sakurai/NCL. To them, she's just a random Western character with no native star power, which is a problem a lot of other western characters like Rayman, Doom Slayer and Master Chief (as much as I'd like him in) have.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Crash is nowhere near as iconic, he was the mascot of the original PS, and then was completely forgotten about by the general public after a period where his games ranged from okay to terrible.
*IMO* Crash is more iconic. I was introduced to Lara much later than her actual "heyday". So I missed out on all that jazz. I just find mascot characters to be more iconic than human characters. Always have. Probably always will. And as much as I love God of War when I think of Sony, Crash is still its mascot to me. I don't really change my ideals just because the characters change ownership. How I grew up with them is how I remember them.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Reading PusDustin tweets about Sakurai's last column, I find interesting that he said that FP2 will take over a year to be completed, just like FP1 (that started with Joker announcement at 12/18 and ended with Byleth release at 01/20, that 1 year and 2 months aprox). So, I think that the longest we will wait for the announcement of FP6 is E3 2020 and thus gives us two possible release schedules:

First scenario (most optimistic):
FP6: april/may 2020 (winter direct)
FP7: july 2020 (E3 2020)
FP8: september 2020 (E3 2020)
FP9: november 2020 (summer direct)
FP10: january/february 2021 (VGA 2020 or separate announcement)
FP11: april/may 2021 (winter direct)

Second scenario (less optimistic):
FP6: july 2020 (E3 2020)
FP7: september 2020 (E3 2020)
FP8: november 2020 (summer direct)
FP9: january/february 2021 (VGA 2020 or separate announcement)
FP10: april/may 2021 (winter direct)
FP11: july/august (E3 2021)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Realisticly/objectively speaking, the only western IPs that do feel "Smash worthy" are

Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo history)
Crash Bandicoot (historical popularity in Japan)
Minecraft (contemporary popularity in Japan)

Tomb Raider wasn't that big of a deal there during the 90s so I don't think Lara would be that much of a compelling pick to Sakurai/NCL. To them, she's just a random Western character with no native star power, which is a problem a lot of other western characters like Rayman, Doom Slayer and Master Chief (as much as I'd like him in) have.
The **** you mean 'not a big deal during the 90s' 4 Tomb Raider games are in the top 20 best selling ps1 games of all time with the first 2 being in the top 10. There's a reason people went to the 2001 movie, and it was brand recognition

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The **** you mean 'not a big deal during the 90s' 4 Tomb Raider games are in the top 20 best selling ps1 games of all time with the first 2 being in the top 10. There's a reason people went to the 2001 movie, and it was brand recognition
Trying reading it again

Tomb Raider wasn't that big of a deal there during the 90s
There = in Japan

Tomb Raider wasn't that big of a deal in Japan, unlike in the west. That's why Lara is unlikely. That is all.

D

Deleted member

They don't absolutely need to include that charging animation. If Incineroar can get in, Travis should be fine.

It's not like Incineroar was firing that from anything vulgar; it comes from what was obviously a reference to a champion's belt in wrestling.

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Trying reading it again

There = in Japan

Tomb Raider wasn't that big of a deal in Japan, unlike in the west. That's why Lara is unlikely. That is all.
I see travis and mk characters as unlikely for similar reasons.
But lara did have an impact on the industry. That is a known thing.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, I want Gordon Freeman even more in Smash because I want to listen to Sakurai storytell about Half-Life and its significance to Smash fans.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Trying reading it again

There = in Japan

Ok, my mistake, but Tomb Raider has something your other Western examples don't have. It's owned by a Japanese company, and we've seen that Sakurai has picked characters Japan doesn't know at all too so I really don't see how Lara Croft, one of the most recognizable women in gaming history, if not in the top 5, would suffer from this

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm honestly at a point where I believe he was either misinformation or outright leakbait for Byleth. Shifty supposedly getting contacted by Nintendo over it definitely makes me consider this. He's just been an odd character for the past year. He's like that guy at the house party that just hangs out in the kitchen and drinks only to leave without telling anyone once he sobers up but nobody notices until like the end of the night. Beyond this, he's literally the only Tecmo thing that's been rumored in the past year which is especially weird when most of the other major companies volleyballed around have had spirit events, Mii costumes, and even music rumored at some point but Ryu's just... Ryu. There's nothing ever attached to him so it has always struck me as odd.
The hell you talking about? Terry had no music, no mii costumes, no insiders even hinting at him until Nintendo leaked SNK themselves.

Microsoft had no mii costumes, no music, and nobody talking about them to a serious degree until that figure was shown off, then Shinobi leakes them.

Why the hell would any other Koei-Tecmo stuff leak or be rumored besides him when he's the only viable KT character? It's hands are already all over Smash Ultimate to begin with. They have been since launch.

Constituting it as leak bait because it's yet to happen was the same thing thing said when people were trying to throw Vergeben under the bus after Erdrick wasn't base or #1. There's literally no way to tell whether those rumors had any base or not right now so just assuming they were leak bait tells is just sorta dismissive of what gas happened before.

Edit: if you DO have some evidence or rumors to back up the fact that he just happened to be leak bait then, by all means, please DM me. You have my attention to say thebleast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom