• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Taking out any sort of insider knowledge where he was apparently thrown around a lot at the beginning, I'd say Koei-Tecmo has a hell of a good chance to be getting a character. And if any insider knowledge around the time of last Pass is to be believed then he has an even better shot.
I'm honestly at a point where I believe he was either misinformation or outright leakbait for Byleth. Shifty supposedly getting contacted by Nintendo over it definitely makes me consider this. He's just been an odd character for the past year. He's like that guy at the house party that just hangs out in the kitchen and drinks only to leave without telling anyone once he sobers up but nobody notices until like the end of the night. Beyond this, he's literally the only Tecmo thing that's been rumored in the past year which is especially weird when most of the other major companies volleyballed around have had spirit events, Mii costumes, and even music rumored at some point but Ryu's just... Ryu. There's nothing ever attached to him so it has always struck me as odd.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Like i say with doom guy. Remove the gore. Remove the utter brutality and what are you left with? The playmobil version of doom. Doomguy is hyper violent. It is a defining feature.

This always reminds me of saturday mourning cartoons. Parodies of the characters.

Oh, and mai. They could of tonned down her sexiness to have a cameo, but they didn't.
I don’t see why Mai is still used as a point against characters like Doomguy when her problem was CERO being more against upskirts than guns; Sakurai likely didn’t want to mess with her design, or SNK didn’t want it. If they wanted to, they could still get Doomguy, though it seems they’ve decided on other characters.

Not to mention, from what I’ve read from other users, Joker’s way of summoning his persona is...oof, and they censored him just fine. The blood that would’ve been in his final smash was also changed to stars. Doomguy can work just with brutal moves like Ridley.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I figured I'd ask what peoples' opinions on Ryu Hayabusa are. Not sure if he's a hot topic in this thread in particular but he's just one of those characters that's been lingering around in speculation forever and wanted to see how people here feel about him going into Season 2.
Personally I do think he has a good chance. Koei Tecmo has had a good relationship with Nintendo (they helped with Three Houses, which ended up being one of the best Fire Emblem games in recent years) and he does have a history on the NES, and he's one of the most iconic ninjas in gaming.
they could have even just given her a Spirit with the Camilla/Mythra treatment but not even that
Mai not being in the game is an example of how CERO can be a *****.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I figured I'd ask what peoples' opinions on Ryu Hayabusa are. Not sure if he's a hot topic in this thread in particular but he's just one of those characters that's been lingering around in speculation forever and wanted to see how people here feel about him going into Season 2.
IAmShifty had never said anything back about him.

I say we can rule him out.
So now we rule out every character that leaker are not backing? Really I think Hayabusa is up there as one of the most likely fighter. Koei Tecmo have a good relation with Nintendo (they asically co-develop Three houses with Intelligent systems) and Hayabusa is pretty much the last NES icon missing. The only thing that's going against him is the fact that franchise is kind of dormant right now, but that didn't held back Mega man at Smash 4 era so I don't think it's a huge problem.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don’t see why Mai is still used as a point against characters like Doomguy when her problem was CERO being more against upskirts than guns. If they wanted to, they could still get Doomguy, though it seems they’ve decided on other characters.

Not to mention, from what I’ve read from other users, Joker’s way of summoning his persona is...oof.
Games with decapitations are also an issue with cero. And a mai spirit has no upskirt potential. Cero does have issues with ultra violence. And smashs age rating seems to be a pride point for nintendo.

So now we rule out every character that leaker are not backing? Really I think Hayabusa is up there as one of the most likely fighter. Koei Tecmo have a good relation with Nintendo (they asically co-develop Three houses with Intelligent systems) and Hayabusa is pretty much the last NES icon missing. The only thing that's going against him is the fact that franchise is kind of dormant right now, but that didn't held back Mega man at Smash 4 era so I don't think it's a huge problem.
Not sure if good relations matter. Namco still has just pacman.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I don’t see why Mai is still used as a point against characters like Doomguy when her problem was CERO being more against upskirts than guns; Sakurai likely didn’t want to mess with her design, or SNK didn’t want it. If they wanted to, they could still get Doomguy, though it seems they’ve decided on other characters.

Not to mention, from what I’ve read from other users, Joker’s way of summoning his persona is...oof, and they censored him just fine.
Some people feel that without the gore Doomslayer would feel very neutered. He would feel more at home in say, Mortal Kombat than Smash Bros.

That's why Master Chief would be a better candidate since he can function without the gory aspect better. But we all know Gordon Freeman is far superior to both and nobody is willing to acknowledge the truth.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Games with decapitations are also an issue with cero. And a mai spirit has no upskirt potential. Cero does have issues with ultra violence. And smashs age rating seems to be a pride point for nintendo.
Doomguy in Smash doesn’t mean the age rating will go up as long as he uses brutal moves in a manner similar to Ridley. If CERO cared about the age rating/content of the characters’ original games, Smash’s age rating would’ve gone up already.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Some people feel that without the gore Doomslayer would feel very neutered. He would feel more at home in say, Mortal Kombat than Smash Bros.

That's why Master Chief would be a better candidate since he can function without the gory aspect better. But we all know Gordon Freeman is far superior to both and nobody is willing to acknowledge the truth.
That is my belief. When mortal kombat vs dc came out, the major complaints were that it was not enough mk. Doomguy, scorpion, travis all fall into that realm. We can have parodies of them, but not really them.

Even snake recieved this when people heard no guns. Luckly he had more gadgets in mgs to fall back on.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If CERO is the reason Doom Slayer can't get in whelp RIP Scorpion.

Not that it matters anyways since it didn't help too Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan and lacks popularity there.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I can understand people thinking he wouldn’t be himself, though personally I don’t see how the blood is essential when he could still use guns like the BFG and the blood isn’t really part of his character, just brutality, which could still work in Smash if downplayed just a bit like Ridley.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If CERO is the reason Doom Slayer can't get in whelp RIP Scorpion.

Not that it matters anyways since it didn't help too Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan and lacks popularity there.
last I checked, it isn't banned, they just choose not to release it over there

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I can understand people thinking he wouldn’t be himself, though personally I don’t see how the blood is essential when he could still use guns like the BFG and the blood isn’t really part of his character, just brutality, which could still work in Smash if downplayed just a bit like Ridley.
I disagree for doomguy. There is a difference for giant evil space dragon and human looking buff dude. And doom is way more brutal then metroid could ever be. Would take careful planning to get doomguy to work correctly.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Does it really matter anyways? Doom Slayer has been deconfirmed and even if not CERO would prevent him from getting in.

Why Master Chief is the next best bet. Not as bloody and graphic.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Not to mention, from what I’ve read from other users, Joker’s way of summoning his persona is...oof, and they censored him just fine. The blood that would’ve been in his final smash was also changed to stars. Doomguy can work just with brutal moves like Ridley.
If you thought Joker's was bad then wait until you see how P3 handled it
Does it really matter anyways? Doom Slayer has been deconfirmed and even if not CERO would prevent him from getting in.

CERO wouldn't be an issue as seen with Snake's necksnap

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How does an neck snap compare to disembowelment, mutilation, chainsawing, etc.?
A necksnap is in the game, disembowelment and mutilation aren't and aren't needed as you can just do what the necksnap or Ridley's Skewer, convey the brutality in a way without blood.

Oh and Corrin already can deal damage with their sword that not only looks like a chainsaw but when charging their F Smash, acts like it. You can convey modern Doom's brutality without needing actual gore

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Plus iirc Halo 5 is the first game in the series not counting spinoffs to get a Teen rating instead of its usual Mature

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If a character wasn't allowed in because they were from a hyperviolent game then we wouldn't have Bayonetta because she also uses super brutal torture attacks to kill her opponents and her games even feature battle damage on the enemies.

All you need for Doomguy are strong, powerful attacks.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be honest, I haven’t actually played DOOM, I just think Doomguy is cool, but I’ve seen gameplay of the original. After watching some gameplay of DOOM 2016...I still don’t see how he wouldn’t work in Smash.

Just use guns, brutal kicks and punches that can deal extra damage/knockback depending on how they’re done, and other stuff like explosives or whatever. Even if they wanted to include rip and tear stuff, just have the chainsaw act similar to a sword or Ridley’s skewer in how graphic it is, like what Cutie Gwen is saying.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A necksnap is in the game, disembowelment and mutilation aren't and aren't needed as you can just do what the necksnap or Ridley's Skewer, convey the brutality in a way without blood.

Oh and Corrin already can deal damage with their sword that not only looks like a chainsaw but when charging their F Smash, acts like it. You can convey modern Doom's brutality without needing actual gore
Regardless Doom Slayer's been deconfirmed which I'm sad about so Master Chief is the next best option.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

There isna difference between a giant purplen pace dragon or a chain sword compared to a muscle dude running around with a real looking chainsaw that is known for decapitations.

D

Deleted member

Why is every time DOOM is brought up for Smash, everybody thinks Doom Guy is gonna run up to Lucas and go

Of course Sakurai is going to censor the brutality if he wants to add DOOM. It's not even a question. He has to do it to get passed CERO. It's not like Snake literally kills people or Bayonetta uses her BDSM killing devices.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Gore isn't as pivotal to Doom's identity as some may think. Prior to Doom 2016, the most brutal thing in Doom were the demons exploding when you killed them. Doom's appeal is primarily the speed and fluidity of its gameplay. No one would complain if a goreless Doom Marine with that same sense of speed and power was added to Smash.

D

Deleted member

I put Ryu in the same category as Simon and Megaman; characters who I associate with nintendo since they were well-known NES games, but actually third party. In other words, I'd put his chances as 'pretty good'. I'd still rather have a return to first party characters, but I wouldn't oppose him in the slightest.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Gore isn't as pivotal to Doom's identity as some may think. Prior to Doom 2016, the most brutal thing in Doom were the demons exploding when you killed them. Doom's appeal is primarily the speed and fluidity of its gameplay. No one would complain if a goreless Doom Marine with that same sense of speed and power was added to Smash.
Pretty much nailed it right here. It's funny because anyone who is against characters like Doomslayer or Scorpion claim their fans would be disappointed if they weren't "gory" enough for smash. I don't think any MK fan would give a **** if Sub-Zero cant do a fatality or x-ray in Smash lol.

Its a dumb argument that is clearly made for ones disdain of said character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still don't understand why Travis can't get in due to some taunt from his games due to CERO. Simply just don't have it. Pretty certain he has plenty of other taunts that wouldn't be as inappropriate for "good boys and girls".

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I put Ryu in the same category as Simon and Megaman; characters who I associate with nintendo since they were well-known NES games, but actually third party. In other words, I'd put his chances as 'pretty good'. I'd still rather have a return to first party characters, but I wouldn't oppose him in the slightest.
I associate ninja gaiden with xbox. And annoying hard core gamers. So my opinion of him is more negative. Given mai, i would have enjoyed doa spirits though. But wont happen.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Pretty much nailed it right here. It's funny because anyone who is against characters like Doomslayer or Scorpion claim their fans would be disappointed if they weren't "gory" enough for smash. I don't think any MK fan would give a **** if Sub-Zero cant do a fatality or x-ray in Smash lol.

Its a dumb argument that is clearly made for ones disdain of said character.

Did you even see the mk vs dc debacle?

Dukefire

Smash Master
I still think that an Indie Character still has a chance to be in the Second Fighters Pass. Who exactly? There are good choices, but its up to Nintendo and Sakurai if they are planning one to join the fight

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Warning issued
Did you even see the mk vs dc debacle?
Yes and that is clearly a different issue lmao. I think most people with a brain would understand that Scorpion cant do a ****ing fatality in a crossover Nintendo game.

Bad example.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still think that an Indie Character still has a chance to be in the Second Fighters Pass. Who exactly? There are good choices, but its up to Nintendo and Sakurai if they are planning one to join the fight
Wasn't Sans the most popular and the most treatment he got was an Mii costume.

I can't see it at this point tbh. If he couldn't make it as an fighter I can't see any other Indie rep getting in either.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Im sitting here shacking my head at all the m rated reps people want. Just give me my cereal box mascots please.

Yes and that is clearly a different issue lmao. I think most people with a brain would understand that Scorpion cant do a ****ing fatality in a crossover Nintendo game.

Bad example. Plus Joker is in MK 11 now so WB clearly won't mind if some of their villains perform fatalities.
Oh. Insults. Doing great for your case. Now i want him even less.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think Ryu has a really good chance at making it for season 2. Koei Tecmo has a great relationship with Nintendo where they helped develop some of their games for them, and not to mention we already have Koei Tecmo content in Smash in the form of the Fatal Frame Assist Trophy. Ryu is both a classic NES icon and a modern action game icon, he appeals to a wide variety of demographics which makes him a pick that makes total sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom