• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
You are still saying essentially the same thing: that if Sakurai doesn't want a character he can just say "gimme another, what are you gonna do, fire me? I got you by the balls Nintendo". That's simply not what he was implying.
It's more likely that Sakurai will just work with what he's given as long as he can do it, instead of pettily refusing characters until Nintendo gives him what he wants.
Thank you. Sakurai wouldn't be like "Man, idk Nintendo...My creative juices just aren't flowing for this character... Think you can give me another one? :)"
The issue with this view is it goes against basically everything we know about Sakurai's development style.

Sakurai has said the greatest criterion for getting a character into Smash is seeing the character "dance" in his head. He obviously cares a lot about Smash and wants it to be the best it can be. As such, he's not going to put in anyone simply because Nintendo told him to. If he doesn't think a character fits Smash, he's not going to put them in. Has this caused corporate friction before? Probably. I can't see the marketing department at Nintendo being particularly happy because the star of the largest Nintendo franchise introduced after Melee didn't get a character in Brawl or that Awakening's poster boy was passed up in favour of a less iconic option in Smash for Wii U/3DS.

Likewise, if Sakurai can't dismiss a character because he doesn't think they'd work, what could he dismiss a character for? Does it have to be a Heihachi situation where he simply couldn't find a mechanical way to get the character to work? If so, how do you realistically go about proving that? Does Sakurai have to bring design documents showcasing how the character couldn't work? What if Nintendo just responds with "well, you're just not working hard enough." or "you're over complicating things, just take out these defining elements of the moveset."? It's much simpler if Sakurai's ability to veto characters extended to characters that could work but can't "dance", so to speak.

Folt

Smash Ace
They literally selected Banjo & Kazooie for the last pass

I'm sure there will be some old "boomer" picks alongside new stuff. Sakurai even adressed this in the new Famitsu article

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr4sfq
So do I, but I think those picks will be third parties. A Nintendo character from a recent game that is being developed is something I think is very attractive for Sakurai (and Nintendo) for SSB DLC since 1. It means there's no need to wait until development on the next Smash game for them. 2. Because if he needs to get materials to make sure the character is ready for launch, it'd be easy for Nintendo to provide him with behind-the-scenes material and early game builds. 3. It's a character and game that's currently making history instead of being history. 4. Because of Nr. 3, that character is thus recent, and thus very fresh compared to other FP characters who are basically historical picks.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So do I, but I think those picks will be third parties. A Nintendo character from a recent game that is being developed is something I think is very attractive for Sakurai (and Nintendo) for SSB DLC since 1. It means there's no need to wait until development on the next Smash game for them. 2. Because if he needs to get materials to make sure the character is ready for launch, it'd be easy for Nintendo to provide him with behind-the-scenes material and early game builds. 3. It's a character and game that's currently making history instead of being history. 4. Because of Nr. 3, that character is thus recent, and thus very fresh compared to other FP characters who are basically historical picks.
They can add more recent third party fighters, as shown with Joker.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Sure, but you keep bringing up Geno. Even though he's also a third party character and not a Nintendo one, despite originating in a Mario game.

Folt

Smash Ace
Sure, but you keep bringing up Geno. Even though he's also a third party character and not a Nintendo one, despite originating in a Mario game.
Geno is admittedly a gray area. That said, if we treat him as a third party, then he competes with other, better choices for a third Square Enix rep.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Persona 5 was already history at that point.
It was only 2 years old by the time Joker was revealed in Smash. That's still pretty current, especially when there was more games coming from Persona 5 like Royal and Scramble.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Nintendo does add another promotional character, I'm not sure what they'd go with out of our current lineup. Aside from Astral Chain, SwSh, and maybe BotW2, there aren't many options to choose from.

We might get a few more contenders at E3, but still, that's not a guarantee. I'd say a promotional character would have to come from any of the three games mentioned above unless something else comes up.

Folt

Smash Ace
It was only 2 years old by the time Joker was revealed in Smash. That's still pretty current, especially when there was more games coming from Persona 5 like Royal and Scramble.
And that's still more than one year between the game's release and Joker's reveal as Ultimate DLC, especially considering that Joker at the time was still not the most recent Smash character to ever fight in Smash. (:ultincineroar:)

Meanwhile, Fates and Three Houses had less than a year between their debut to Corrin and Byleth being announced for Smash DLC. I suspect we're getting something like that for FP2 as well. (Though obviously it's not gonna be a Fire Emblem character again.)

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If Nintendo does add another promotional character, I'm not sure what they'd go with out of our current lineup. Aside from Astral Chain, SwSh, and maybe BotW2, there aren't many options to choose from.

We might get a few more contenders at E3, but still, that's not a guarantee. I'd say a promotional character would have to come from any of the three games mentioned above unless something else comes up.
They could always pull a surprise and add the Stretchers in.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I'm hoping for a new Rhythm heaven on Switch. But more realistic, I think Travis could be promotional. Sure he's not 100% Nintendo but he's so closely affiliated with them that he would fit.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Reimu seems like a perfect character to get the Sans/Cuphead treatment. Indy character, makes sense with a Gunner moveset, and can come packaged with UN Owen Was Her.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
And that's still more than one year between the game's release and Joker's reveal as Ultimate DLC, especially considering that Joker at the time was still not the most recent Smash character to ever fight in Smash. (:ultincineroar:)

Meanwhile, Fates and Three Houses had less than a year between their debut to Corrin and Byleth being announced for Smash DLC. I suspect we're getting something like that for FP2 as well. (Though obviously it's not gonna be a Fire Emblem character again.)
Honestly, this idea of getting a brand new character in that's still being developed is the dumbest idea they have themselves to blame. There's no requirement for them to do that, yet they do it anyways. Can they not learn that it's a bad idea to keep doing this? FE Fates aged badly where most fans hate Corrin, Byleth is the third most disliked video on Nintendo's channel, and people made fun of PSABR because they the same thing with Donte.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Dragalia lost is more likely, they added a music track for heroes and I think they'd rather introduce something totally new
I completely agree. Although I am surprised that there are no Spirits from Fire Emblem Heroes, I think that the single remix and perhaps a Spirit event in the not too distant future are the only content we'll see from Nintendo's most lucrative mobile game.
Dragalia Lost is their third highest grossing mobile game, which is impressive for an original IP, and it features no content whatsoever in Ultimate. I think the complete lack of spirits is very telling. At the very least, I think a Spirit Event is likely to happen later this year, possibly during Dragalia Lost's second anniversary.
I also think Euden joining the roster as part of the second fighter pass is a lot likelier than people seem to think, given that I rarely see him pop up on anyone's wish lists or predictions here, on Reddit, or on YouTube.
Maybe there's just not enough overlap between the two fanbases.
All that being said, I've never played Dragalia so I'm not personally a fan.
I'm just envisioning a scenario in which the next or perhaps even final fighter from a Nintendo IP will be yet another "anime swordfighter" from a game the Smash community doesn't seem to care about at all, and what's more, a free-to-play mobile game, with microtransactions. I can already taste the salt.
I'm not saying I believe it's 100% certain or that I want it to happen, but Dragalia Lost is a currently relevant, relatively popular game that receives regular updates including crossover events with Fire Emblem, Mega Man, and Monster Hunter, and one that Nintendo is very keen on promoting.
I'm confident that Nintendo has at least floated the idea past Sakurai. The game was released shortly before Ultimate and could have been on the radar around the time that DLC was being planned.

Unless Sakurai doesn't view mobile games as true video games, or doesn't want to include any content from mobile games for some other reason, I can't think of any logical reasons why won't at least see some spirits from the game.
And I can easily see Euden being the dark horse for this fighters pass.

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Reimu seems like a perfect character to get the Sans/Cuphead treatment. Indy character, makes sense with a Gunner moveset, and can come packaged with UN Owen Was Her.
I agree. I don't think she would work really well as a character; a Mii costume is probably a better option.
And "U.N. Owen Was Her?" is amazing

Folt

Smash Ace
Honestly, this idea of getting a brand new character in that's still being developed is the dumbest idea they have themselves to blame. There's no requirement for them to do that, yet they do it anyways. Can they not learn that it's a bad idea to keep doing this? FE Fates aged badly where most fans hate Corrin, Byleth is the third most disliked video on Nintendo's channel, and people made fun of PSABR because they the same thing with Donte.
On the contrary, I think it's a pretty good idea. You get a character who would otherwise have to wait until the next game to make it in and it's cool to try out someone whose game is essentially "out around right about now" instead of thinking "oh, what if this character who got released just now was in Smash... His moveset would be like this or that."

Also, people didn't make fun of PSASBR just because Donte was recent, it was because Donte alienated just about every DMC fan before his game even released. Neither Corrin or Byleth did that.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Three Houses did fine without Smash, and there obviously wasn't much of a negative view on the game prior to Byleth's reveal. Adding him may have snagged Nintendo a couple thousand more sales and some quick promotional material, but clearly he's soured people's opinions on the game. Probably won't effect their cash flow, but I think they could've had the best of both worlds of they didn't add Byleth at all.
this is vastly overstated. this reminds me of people saying cloud and bayonetta being smash 4 meta definers ruined people's perceptions of the games and made both characters franchises less popular. there is plenty of evidence that suggests FE is or has become Nintendo's third-biggest franchise. Angry people are always loud but FE characters in smash is what made the franchise grow. Faulting a company for making money doest make any sense.people act like they would orefer FE to go the way of banjo and just die off.
and if this article is to be believed then sakurai wanted a different three houses character (i'd bet edelgard personally) FE was going to get someone either in this pass or the next.just reality.

but if nintendowants to go full promitional characters how about a Bayonetta rep? Nintendo would love for that franchise to get all this press FE got from fans.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I completely agree. Although I am surprised that there are no Spirits from Fire Emblem Heroes, I think that the single remix and perhaps a Spirit event in the not too distant future are the only content we'll see from Nintendo's most lucrative mobile game.
Dragalia Lost is their third highest grossing mobile game, which is impressive for an original IP, and it features no content whatsoever in Ultimate. I think the complete lack of spirits is very telling. At the very least, I think a Spirit Event is likely to happen later this year, possibly during Dragalia Lost's second anniversary.
I also think Euden joining the roster as part of the second fighter pass is a lot likelier than people seem to think, given that I rarely see him pop up on anyone's wish lists or predictions here, on Reddit, or on YouTube.
Maybe there's just not enough overlap between the two fanbases.
All that being said, I've never played Dragalia so I'm not personally a fan.
I'm just envisioning a scenario in which the next or perhaps even final fighter from a Nintendo IP will be yet another "anime swordfighter" from a game the Smash community doesn't seem to care about at all, and what's more, a free-to-play mobile game, with microtransactions. I can already taste the salt.
I'm not saying I believe it's 100% certain or that I want it to happen, but Dragalia Lost is a recently released, relatively popular game that receives regular updates including crossover events with Fire Emblem, Mega Man, and Monster Hunter, and one that Nintendo is very keen on promoting.
I'm confident that Nintendo has at least floated the idea past Sakurai.

Unless Sakurai doesn't view mobile games as true video games, or doesn't want to include any content from mobile games for some other reason, I can't think of any logical reasons why won't at least see some spirits from the game.
And I can easily see Euden being the dark horse for this fighters pass.
Sakurai counted Fire Emblem Heroes as an FE game as seen during his counting so he does at least respect mobile gaming to some extent, though I think Cygames' other IP would be prioritized, that being Granblue Fantasy. Sure, Dragalia Lost is fully owned by Nintendo, but last I checked, they own 10% of Cygames, meaning negotiations wouldn't be hard to do. Granblue is HUGE in Japan yet it's rather obscure outside of it, though the new fighting game's coming out here next month. While I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Granblue and I know **** all about Dragalia Lost, I'm thinking Granblue would rake in more attention

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Because Chief is now my most wanted I decided to make a moveset so here you go. (Sorry if percents aren’t perfect) Maybe this could get some of you who don’t know much about him to see how cool he could be.

Master Chief

Character Type: (Resource Management/Heavy Zoner/Hard to Kill/Lots of Kill moves)

Strengths: Hard to kill, has great recovery options, has a lot of early kill options, has great long to mid range zoning, high shield damage, basically two sets of normal.

Weaknesses: Slow Movement, gets Juggled a lot, can struggle up close, combo game is bad, has utilize resource management.

Aerial Movement: Poor

Combo Game: Bad

Weight: A little heavier than Ganon

Run speed is average level (around samus speed)

Walk speed slow

Jump height is below average

Unique Mechanics:

Ammo
Every weapon has an ammo count visible to the top left of the percentage area of the last weapon used. Ammo that auto recharges (grenades/bubble shield) will always be beside percentage under the normal ammo count. (All ammo replenished upon respawn of a stock)

Reload
Similar to Inkling by holding shield and B at the same time chief will reload the last weapon he has used animation can’t be canceled but you can walk around if on the ground or jump (different weapons have different animations with different reload times)

(Reloads from least time to reload to most time
Assault Rifle
Pistol
Battle Rifle
Spikers Dual wield
Needler
Scattershot
Shotgun
Sniper
SAW
Rocket Launcher)

Shield

Above the percentage will be a shield gauge that will deplete the more damage chief takes in quick succession (the shield begins to recharge to full after not being hit by anything for 5 second’s) while shielded every time chief is damaged 2% off of the percentage received is knocked off (knockback is unaffected), the full shield depletes after receiving a total of 20% damage (before the 2% drop). To indicate his shield is depleted Chief will begin to have yellow sparks and have the alarm sound play like the Halo games until it refills making the refill sound of course. (Shield returns to full upon respawn of a stock)

B: Grenade/Sticky Grenade

By tapping B he overhand tosses a normal frag grenade in an ark that goes about the distance of snakes being thrown (this cannot be cooked or thrown at different angle’s like snakes grenade), it will bounce on surfaces until its timer runs out (which is shorter than the time it takes for snakes to explode) and will release a strong kill explosion and good shield damage (damage 15-20% depending on how close you are to the center) with better range than snakes grenade (kills at 100% midscreen) (will explode when attacked) (these grenades cannot be caught or picked up) (explosion can hit chief) (The ammo pull for Frag Grenades is 2, unlike normal weapons grenades will refill their ammo after depleted after a bit of time making the grenade pickup noise for when it is refilled to indicate it (regenerates in 15 sec) ).

Holding B chief will throw out a sticky grenade instead in the same arc but the grenade will not travel as fast in the air and won’t go as far, once it hits a grounded surface it will very mildly bounce once till its timer runs out, (its timer is slightly longer than the frag grenade and its explosion range is less (which is comparable to snakes)) the kill power is weaker on the outside of the explosion only potentially killing at (120-130 midscreen but the center is just as deadly damage/kill wise as the frag grenade) if it comes into contact with a player while the grenade is airborne it will stick to them till it explodes. (does the same strong shield damage as a frag at the center of the explosion) (ammo pull is 2 just like the frag grenades, they also refill their ammo in the same way as the frag version (regenerates in 15 secs))

B Up: Jetpack

Acts basically the same as R.O.B’s up b but does have a little less fuel, there is a fuel reticle bar that will
be by your percentage like the ammo when hitting b up. Refills fuel once you touch the ground.

B Over: Warthog

Similar to Wario with his bike Master Chief will pull out a warthog and be driving in it, its startup is twice as slow as wario’s bike though. (Takes longer to pickup speed and doesn’t move as fast across the screen when compared to wario’s bike) When done on the ground it will act like a normal vehicle that can be controlled by driving forward and can turn to go the other way just like wario’s bike does but all of these processes are half the speed of Wario’s bike. Unlike Wario’s bike when Master Chief gets out of the vehicle (characters get out by jumping like wario) another player can ride and drive the warthog by holding A while being right next to the front of the warthog if a character tries this while a character is in the seat they will enter the passenger seat which is completely useless except for forcing Chief to have to get out of the wart hog if he wants to damage you. If you hold A right next to the back of the warthog then you will enter the warthogs turret seat (chief or any other character can do this) where you can aim up or down or go left or right (in case you want to shoot the character who is driving) theses bullets from the turret have 0 knockback (similar to bowser tough guying through) and only deal 1% per bullet but they can rack up damage quickly (there is a heat gauge that will appear near master chief’s percentage to indicate how close the turret is to overheating) (the turret takes a second to startup its shooting) (overheating causes it to jam and be unusable for 5 seconds or so) (ammo is infinite though like the games). The warthog is a bit bigger than warios in terms of how wide it is. The reason for how slow its movement is lies in its power, warthog can kill at 100-120 % midscreen with a direct frontal hit and a direct frontal hit will take 30% damage off a player, 70% of a shield. When turning with a warthog to turn around the back of warthog will gain a hitbox from it sliding to turn around this is not a bad kill move either, it can kill around 135%, doing 20% and 50 shield damage. Getting hit by the upper hitbox of a warthog can do 10%-15% depending on the speed of the warthog but wont kill till a much higher percentage. When this is done in air the warthog goes forward and up in a small arc similar to it going off a ramp and will plummet at a similar rate to wario’s bike does in air, the properties of the damage/kill area’s are the same as the grounded versions. The jump that occur’s when leaving your vehicle doesn’t could against your jump count just like wario’s. As for durability the warthog has twice the durability of wario’s bike and will progressively become more and more inflamed to indicate its damage just like the halo games. When its durability has hit its limit it will explode with an explosion that can kill at 100% which consumes its entire hitbox (if someone is actually in the vehicle they will probably lose a stock regardless of percentage), just like wario chief cannot immediately summon another wart hog after its destroyed the wait time for another warthog though is twice that of wario’s however due to the warthog’s shear power. To hit the driver out of the warthog since they are very protected from the front and back usually you will have to hit them above if you do so the player will pop out of the seat.

B Down: Bubble Shield

Chief throws out a bubble shield right in front of him, once the bubble shield expands (which is fairly fast) a small bubble that’s about the width of two donkey kongs will expand. This bubble causes no damage (however if you are hit by the actual device in the center it does like 5% with a little knockback). The bubble can be walked through and attacked through but 0 projectiles can penetrate the inside or outside of the bubble. (A great utility with this is to stand in a way where your hitbox is hidden by the bubble shield but your projectile attack is happening on the outside edge). One attack to the center piece that projects the shield will destroy it, the shield destroys itself after 15 sec’s. After use you will have to wait until your equipment auto refill’s indicated by the symbol by your grenades/percentage being lightened up or not (the auto refill time is 30 sec’s) (bounceable projectiles will bounce off the bubble shield like a wall)

Normals:

Jab: Assault Rifle

Just tapping A will fire just a small quick 4 bullet spurt of of AR bullets, each bullet only deals 1% and deals knockback comparable to Megamans lemons, by holding A the assault rifle will keep quick firing until the clip depletes or you let go. While holding A you can move forward or back and even jump, the spread distance is also comparable to Megamans lemon distance. When hitting A without any ammo Chief will automatically do a melee attack with not a lot of range with the AR (has solid knockback though and safe on shield, can kill at late percents 160). Shield damage is relatively weak. (Ammo total 30 bullets)

Dash Attack: Spartan Charge

Chief will do a very fast good priority burst attack with shoulder using a boost from his thrusters on his armor. On block it isn’t super safe but it isn’t terribly unsafe either (does 20% shield damage). It does 15% damage on hit and kills around 130%.

Forward Tilt: Pistol

Just tapping forward tilt will have chief fire a single pistol shot that is shot straight at a little under his head height, the distance the bullet travels half of final destination with pretty quick speed. Damage is 5% for a body shot and 10% for a head shot, its knockback is ok but it won’t kill until around 150% body (135% headshot) unless you hit opponents near a ledge. If you keep inputting A directly after inputting the forward tilt you will continue to shoot out pistol shots, if you hold forward from the initial forward tilt Chief will begin to walk forward and shoot if you keep pressing A. If you have no ammo chief performs a pistol whip (similar to the AR melee attack but having slightly more range, better knockback and kills earlier 140% but is less safe on shield). Shield damage is a little better than AR but not by much (Ammo total is 6 bullets.)

Up Tilt: Battle Rifle

Just tapping up tilt will have chief fire a very fast tiny BR shot that consists of 3 bullets in an high upper diagonal direction in the way chief is facing, each bullet does 3% for each body shot 6% for each head shot little knockback but if all 3 bullets hit the head the knock back is pretty significant can kill very early depending on how close your opponent is to the top of a stage. If you continue to input A after the initial up tilt you will keep firing 3 bullet sets, while continually inputting A you can input left or right to slightly walk in those directions while shooting which will change your shot spread depending on how your moving while shooting. If you have no ammo chief swing his BR above him like a normal up tilt, the knock back is very average but the range isn’t terrible, it can even kill around 150%. (Ammo total is 12 (4 shots))

Down Tilt: Sniper Rifle

Chief lays down in prone position with his stomach to the ground and relatively quickly (comparable to other down tilts startups) shoots a very fast sniper bullet that travels straight and full screen very close to the ground (this move is a very strong ledge trap/kill option). A bullet on a body hit does 20% with killing power at 110%, if you somehow land a headshot it does 35% and can kill at 80%. By pressing A immediately after the first shot you will fire a second shot in relatively quick succession (although most other guns fire faster when using the mash A mechanic). The bullet does 30% shield damage but up close is pretty minus on block. If you have no ammo with the sniper you will perform an average dtilt startup pretty long range swipe with your sniper in the prone position that is punishable up close (safe at the tip range) but on hit pops the opponent up on hit. (one of chiefs only potential combo moves at certain percent’s, dtilt into up tilt can combo) (Ammo total is 2 bullets)

Forward Smash: Energy Sword

Chief pulls out a swiping energy sword that has great forward and up hitbox range due to him swiping forward to up. It is punishable by a quick smash up close and can be made safe on block if at the further ranges. Although it isn’t the fastest smash attack (comparable to sonic or wario’s fsmash speed) it can kill pretty early on hit it does a nasty 25% uncharged and can kill around 100%. Charging this forward smash will cause chief to slide forward quickly before slashing (similar to being locked onto someone in the Halo games with the red reticle) the distance he goes is determined by how long its charged (can slide up to a little over wolf’s brawl f smash range). Shield damage done with a slash is around 50%. When the energy sword runs out of energy chiefs f smash changes to a forward punch move similar to wolfs current f smash in animation and function, the startup speed is better being more comparable to mario’s f smash in terms of speed although its range is slightly worse than wolf’s forward smash so you have to be pretty close to make good use of it as a punish option. It is however completely safe on block so using two in a row after one is shielded wouldn’t be unheard of, it does only 15% on hit though and can kill around 125-130% when compared to the sword. Shield damage is only 15%. (Ammo total 5 swipes (20% energy used per swipe) cannot be reloaded)

Up Smash: Spartan Laser

With no charge Chief will shoot (not like a projectile shot out but more of a projectile extension like the halo games) a very short laser that discharges from the weapon directly above him(only has a vertical hitbox so people around chief on the ground wont get hit), it hits higher than most up smash’s and has a little above average speed (although the beam comes out very fast), but only average damage (20%) and knockback (kills at 150%) for an upsmash. However if charged the distance of the beam extension will increase (up to a little more than palutena’s reach on top of chiefs height at max charge) at max charge it will kill very early at 60% or lower depending on high they are hit from as well. When the Laser is out of shots chief will lunge his Spartan laser in animation and attack coverage similar to D3’s up smash with similar power/startup with a bit less range, damage is 25% and the knockback kills at 125-130%. (Ammo total 5 laser charges (20% energy per shot) cannot be reloaded.)

Down Smash: Rocket Launcher

Chief pulls out a rocket and will shoot a large rocket shell moving at a medium speed forward that goes about a third of the distance of final destination than explodes (or will explode on contact with a character/wall/shield, it will eat through most projectiles) (it has the slowest startup of all of his smash attacks). It does 35 damage on hit and does 70% shield damage, it kills at 80%. Charging it can increase the distance/speed it travels before exploding, full charge can have a rocket go up to 80% of FD, a fully charged Rocket will shield break. When the rocket is out of ammo chief will do a relatively slow startup (compared to average down smashes) spin with the rocket that hits both sides of chief (similar to most down smash’s) this move can kill around 140-150% and does 20% on hit (20% shield damage). (Ammo is 2 shells)

Neutral Air: Plasma Pistol

Upon tapping chief will quickly fire a plasma shot that goes about a little less than the distance of a pistol shot on hit it does 3% and has 0 knockback or stun and 1% shield damage. Similar to the pistol you can immediately keep pressing A to keep firing rapid plasma shots (very little landing lag). Similar to the AR you can hold A, when you hold A you will begin to charge the plasma pistol after charging for a second you can release it to send out a slower moving plasma blast that will home towards the opponents location (of when its initially shot) if you are facing the opponent, otherwise if fires straight. This charge shot has very little lag as its meant for follow up, on hit it does 25% with 0 knockback and it will break a shields. If you are still holding the charge when you land you can move left or right to walk on the ground or jump with it before letting it go (the longest you can hold it is 3 seconds after its fully charged). If you are out of plasma chief will swing the plasma pistol all around himself in a circle, its coverage is very similar to villagers in terms of range and knockback/damage (does 8% and wont kill till like 190% (initial knockback is good though to get opponents off you)). Although unlike villager, chiefs hurtbox is bigger than the attacks hitbox so its not useful to escape being juggled, however it’s a great out of shield option for defense or punishing moves that ammoless AR cant reach that are only slightly unsafe, it is chiefs second fastest attack (only ammoless AR jab is faster) and its safe on block landing lag wise with little recovery on whiff as well. (Ammo is 30 plama shots (charge shots will spend 10 after being shot, holding after full charge spends 5 shots per second holding (if you run out of shots to hold it will auto shoot)) cannot be reloaded.)

Forward Air: Shotgun

Chief pulls out the shotty and shots at a down/forward diagonal angle (slightly more down than forward) that pops him up a little from the recoil. Up close it can do 5-25 damage (depends how much of the buckshot hits them), can kill if hit up close near 110-120 and it will knock the foe down forward in a spike fashion if the opponent is hit close enough. The attack is spread out like a cone from the head of the shot gun that reaches in equivalent to about of 2 marth forward air’s distance but diagonally downward. The move is safe on shield and can do up to 70% shield damage (depending on how much is blocked) so don’t shield this for long. When the shotgun is out of ammo it becomes a very short ranged (slightly more range than the ammoless ftilt) that kills around 150-160 and does 10%, its strength lies in it’s 0 landing lag and is actually plus on shield when landing giving chief room to mixup opponents on defense if you can get them to shield this. (Ammo count is 4 buckshot shells).

Back Air: Dual Wielded Spikers

With a bit of startup (comparable to k rools back air (melee attack box hits faster)) Chief turns around pulling out 2 spikers and begins to fire 5 spikes out of each of them at a down/forward angle (more forward than the shotgun angle with twice the range) (the spread is affected by your movement in air) the spikes have about twice the stun than the AR has but they act very similar in the sense that the spikes don’t knock the opponent away while they are being peppered (except at the end of the peppering they are knocked back some with this move) each spike hit does 2% damage (its rare to connect them all due to spread) spike shots wont kill until around 180% (could be earlier with edgeguarding). There is an initial hit box if you do them extreme close to an opponent that does 15% and can kill around 120% but if they are hit by this due to knockback they will probably not be hit by the spike shots. This move does minimal shield damage (at least with the spikes similar to AR, but 20% with the initial hit box) and has a ton of landing lag so its very punishable on shield. When your spikers are out of ammo chief will in a faster fashion swing the spikers behind him with a more active hitbox that has a bit more vertical and horizontal range in a curve up like motion, this move is safe on shield when spaced (does 30% shield damage), does 18% damage on hit and kills around 120%. (Ammo count is 50 (25 per spiker) so 5 back airs)

Up Air: Scattershot

Chief pulls out the scattershot and pretty quickly shoots up sending a spray of promethean energy shot upward, this will push chief slightly down from recoil. The shot is in a cone shape similar to the shotgun spread although not quite as far reaching, its about a forth less in terms of distance above him. It does good damage depending on how much of the move hits 8-30% but in terms of kill power it is less than the normal shotgun 130-140 (unless they are high up when hit). The scattershot spray will bounce off of platforms (the bounce can extend its range by another half of itself) and the way it will bounce changes on the angle hit (be wary of the distance and shooting it at a flat platform above you because you can hit yourself potentially so be careful in a bubble shield). If you have no ammo then chief up air becomes extremely similar to clouds up air except it has slightly less horizontal coverage and a little less knockback in comparison but its utility is virtually the same (good at keeping foes juggles above instead of landing) it does 10% but can potentially kill at 140% (or earlier depending on height hit). (Ammo count is 5 scattershots)

Down Air: Ground Pound

This move has a bit of startup where chief will float with thrusters for a brief second before quickly diving diagonally down towards the ground. This move does 30% on hit (due to its slow nature), can kill at 100% and breaks shields, (has a lot of landing lag on whiff). Its comparable to sonics in terms of distance wise it will go if it does hit the ground before you can act again (in case you go for it offstage).

Throws

Pummel: Chief gut punches his foes over and over (2 percent each)

Forward Throw: Dual Plasma Rifles

This throw has the best forward positioning knockback, chief throws the foe in front of him then begins to blast the foe with plasma from the rifles until they overheat the shots push the opponent very diagonally forward/upward (but will never kill since the knockback is set), this puts the opponent far away from chief giving him a great zoning and positional advantage, its also the second most damaging throw. Damage is 18%. Without ammo chief will just throw the opponent forward overhead that will put them an average range away from them as most forward throws do, damage is 12%. (Ammo is 100 (each throw uses 20 shots (10 for each rifle)) cannot be reloaded.)

Back Throw: Needler

This is the kill throw, chief throws the opponent backwards then begins to shoot them with a ton of needler bullets until they explode, kills midscreen at 130% and does 15%. If the needler is out of spikes then chief will wack the opponent with it knocking them backwards, the initial knockback is similar but it wont kill until 200% (damage is 12%). (Ammo size is 30 spikes (10 are used per throw))

Up Throw: Sentinel Beam

This throw has the best upward positioning knockback, chief tosses his opponents upward and then begins to shoot them upward with the sentinel beam. This puts the opponent very high above you on the top of the screen (the knockback is fixed so it wont kill) the damage is 16%. If you are out of ammo chief will very quickly just toss the opponent upward to about half of the distance of the sentinel beam knockback distance. (Ammo size 20% of energy used per throw (5 throws till empty) cannot be reloaded)

Down Throw: SAW

The damage throw, chief stomps them to the ground holding them and then unleashes a ton of SAW bullets into them before they bounce away in front of chief (not to far which can be bad if you aren’t careful). Damage is 25%, knockback is always set. If your out of Ammo chief will stomp the opponent down making them slightly bounce then punch them up that will send them slightly up and in front of you but not far away due to set knockback (slightly worse positioning but you have options still) Damage is 18%. (Ammo is 30 (10 bullets per throw)

Final Smash: Finish the Fight

Chief shoots them with a bunch of different weapons in a row then kicks them away then pushes the bomb from halo 2 he delivers back to the covenant which explodes ending the opponent

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
this is vastly overstated. this reminds me of people saying cloud and bayonetta being smash 4 meta definers ruined people's perceptions of the games and made both characters franchises less popular. there is plenty of evidence that suggests FE is or has become Nintendo's third-biggest franchise. Angry people are always loud but FE characters in smash is what made the franchise grow. Faulting a company for making money doest make any sense.people act like they would orefer FE to go the way of banjo and just die off.
and if this article is to be believed then sakurai wanted a different three houses character (i'd bet edelgard personally) FE was going to get someone either in this pass or the next.just reality.

but if nintendowants to go full promitional characters how about a Bayonetta rep? Nintendo would love for that franchise to get all this press FE got from fans.
Bayonetta isn't a Nintendo franchise and unlike 2, 3 doesn't seem to be co-owned by them. That being said it's a real shame we didn't get Rodin

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
If you want to discuss a lack of a spirit event what about Ring Fit? Ran out of stock in one country Japan iirc or or at least one close to one where Nintendo is based. Of course we could still get one but it has taken nearly twice the amount of time for Astral Chain to get one. Obviously this all probably amounts to nothing but worth discussing nonetheless

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ok so I was just thinking about things and how the next fighters pass could go. In order to predict what the next 6 DLC fighters could be, it's important to look at the first fighters pass and see what patterns we saw.

First, we saw a return of some companies as well as new companies. Returning companies were Sega, Square Enix, and Nintendo themselves. We also saw new companies in the form of Microsoft and SNK. We can tell from this that Nintendo wanted to not only negotiate with companies already involved with Smash, but also bring in new companies. Not surprisingly, a common theme with all these companies is that they are close with Nintendo and most of them have had a long history with Nintendo. Looking at the lineup, it's almost an even split between veteran and new companies.

What we can pull from this is that Nintendo will likely do another balance between old and new companies again. The tricky part is which companies. Sega has Shin Megami Tensei, Yakuza, and Puyo Puyo. Square Enix has Geno, Sora, Lara Croft, and people will argue, 2B. Microsoft has Steve and Master Chief. Now, with SNK, I can't picture them getting another rep because they already gave a huge amount of Fatal Fury and King of Fighters content, as well as music tracks from Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, and Athena. That's all their biggest franchises and while there is still a decent amount of new SNK content another rep could bring, I feel like SNK is represented enough. I mean, just look at the 50 songs. It's possible, but I think from this, another SNK rep is unlikely so that is one company we can put low on the tier list of likely companies.

In terms of new companies, what are some different companies that Nintendo would approach? The ones that jump to my head are Level 5, Bethesda, Activision, Tecmo (they got spirits, but no playable rep), and Marvelous Entertainment. This list isn't even counting companies like Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Konami who all have reps, but no DLC fighters in the first fighters pass. The companies that were in the first fighters pass are very close to Nintendo, and so are pretty much all the new companies I mentioned. Level 5 is one of the biggest video game companies in Japan and has supported Nintendo for many years. Bethesda has supported the Switch with big AAA games since its conception. Activision has been quite cooperative with Nintendo and has put a pretty good amount of games on the Switch. Tecmo has been with Nintendo for a very long time. Finally, Marvelous Entertainment is pretty big in Japan and has supported Nintendo since the GBA days.

In terms of Capcom, Bamco, and Konami, they are all in different situations. Capcom has a s*** ton of history with Nintendo and has probably the biggest library of characters that would work in Smash. Bamco develops Ultimate and honestly is overdue for another character. Konami seems generous these days with all the Castlevania content and they are also a company with a long history with Nintendo.

When it comes to Nintendo reps, we are in a weird spot. Assist trophy upgrades are very iffy and with Three Houses having a rep now, the one game sticking out is Sword/Shield which recently got a spirit event so that really hurts the chances of a rep from those games. I strongly believe that spirits can certainly be upgraded. lucas had a trophy in Smash 4 before he became playable and I feel like a situation similar to that could very well happen again. With all that said, in terms of the likeliest 1st party I believe they are Rex, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Dixie Kong.

As for anyone asking about Ubisoft, I have no hope for them. Rayman's recent games didn't sell that well in Japan and both the Rabbids and even Assassin's Creed got Mii costumes. Rayman has been teased since Smash 4 and honestly I feel like his spirit and the other Ubisoft Mii costumes is a sign that Nintendo really likes Ubisoft, but not to the point of giving them a character.

And for Indies, I think not. Undertale took the world (including Japan) by storm and yet all we got was a Mii costume and one music track. Then Cuphead got the same treatment. It seems like indies will just get the special Mii costume treatment. Sorry Quote, Shantae, Hollow Knight, and Reimu, but I think at the most you all will get is a Mii costume and one music track.

Now that we have a list of all the top candidates, it's time to mention all the top potential characters.
  • Sega
    • Shin Megami Tensei rep
    • Yakuza rep
    • Puyo Puyo rep (most likely Arle Nadja)
  • Square Enix
    • Geno
    • Sora
    • Lara Croft
    • 2B
  • Microsoft
    • Steve
    • Master Chief
  • Nintendo
    • Rex
    • Bandana Waddle Dee
    • Dixie Kong
  • Level 5
    • Professor Layton
    • Jibanyan
  • Bethesda
    • Dragonborn/Dovahkiin
  • Activision
    • Crash
    • Spyro
    • Overwatch maybe? They said that Nintendo could have any of their heroes and that was in September. That might have been too late when it comes negotiating for a spot in the second fighters pass.
  • Tecmo
    • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Marvelous Entertainment
    • Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons
  • Capcom
    • Phoenix Wright
    • Dante
    • Monster Hunter
    • Amaterasu
  • Bandai Namco
    • Lloyd Irving
    • Heihachi
    • Nightmare
    • Agumon
  • Konami
    • Frogger
    • Contra rep

Obviously this is not a definitive list and I know I will get some flak for leaving out some characters, but I genuinely think these are the most likely characters.

Now let's play a game. Seeing that the first fighters pass was divided evenly by new and returning companies, I will try to do the same here and that is how I will try to predict the second wave of fighters. 3 from old companies, 3 from new companies. By new companies, I mean companies that have not had a single playable rep in Smash yet. Old companies refer to any company that already has a fighter in the game.

As we saw from the first fighters pass, there were no company repeats, so it's safe to assume the same applies to the second fighters pass. Of course, this ain't a hard rule, but at least for this game it will be a guideline. And by no company repeats, I mean repeats in the same pass. So the companies from the first pass could get another rep in the second pass.

This will obviously be extremely difficult because I will inevitably leave out some companies that have as much merit to have another character in the fighters pass. At this point, I will just go with my gut feeling. Now let's move onto the game.

1. Geno - And this is where I will already be put to death. Yes I'm saying this now: I think Geno will the Square Enix rep. I'm saying this because the other Square characters have more of an issue getting in (in my opinion). I know that is funny coming from someone supporting a character from a spin-off game from decades ago, but hear me out. When it comes to Disney, I don't think they will be difficult to negotiate with like a lot of people believe. However, the licensing fees could be high and while Kingdom Hearts could be included with no Disney original content, Sakurai could have a problem with only having half the content and charm of Kingdom Hearts be included. Having Disney content be included would break Sakurai's one hard rule: No 4th party content. When it comes to Lara Croft, she is not requested as much and she is still a western characters which does hurt her chances. As for 2B, she and her games have zero Nintendo presence.

Geno himself is one of the few remaining long-term high requested characters and Sakurai has expressed interest in the character. This is a game filled with fan requested characters and I think this is Geno's best shot.

2. Phoenix Wright - The battle for a Capcom rep comes down to Phoenix and Dante. Both are requested characters and I could see it going either way. I give Phoenix the edge because he has more Nintendo history and he is the type of wacky character Sakurai likes to pick.

3. Steve - If people didn't hate me at this point, I'm sure some of them will. Yes I think Steve from Minecraft is going to get in. His main competitor Banjo is already in the game and with a fresh new pass, that leaves a new opportunity for Nintendo to negotiate with Microsoft for a new character. Nintendo loves Minecraft. They use it in a lot of promotional material and they know that Minecraft content would sell like hot cakes because Minecraft is a huge game that is very popular worldwide, including Japan. Yes, a game being popular and successful does not mean that it's going to be in Smash. But it certainly helps a lot.

4. Crash Bandicoot - Crash is popular in both Japan and the west. He is highly requested and does very well on fan polls. With his recent revival, he is back in the minds of the general public. He just makes sense.

5. Dovahkiin. I'll just quote myself from Rate Their Chances because I think I hit the nail on this one:

Fus-Roh-Dah!

Chance: 55%

I'm gonna go confident with this one. I think the Dragonborn is one of our frontrunners right now, especially with Doom Slayer seemingly out of the running. Why am I so confident in his chances? First, Bethesda is one of the few western companies I can see Nintendo and Sakurai approaching for a character. Bethesda was one of the first few major 3rd party characters to support the Switch. Skyrim was one of the first games shown off for the Switch and Bethesda continued delivering major releases for the Switch such as Doom 2016 (and now all the major Doom games including Doom Eternal) and Wolfenstein 2. Bethesda and Nintendo seem to have a very good relationship right now.

Second, Skyrim was one of the biggest games of the last decade. It was even the first Western game to have a perfect 40/40 score on Famitsu (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...estern-game-to-receive-a-40-40-famitsu-review). That, combined with Skyrim selling pretty well in Japan is a big deal. In fact, Skyrim is the type of game that Japanese players and players in a variety of different countries are interested in: Fantasy Action RPG that you can get lost in. Skyrim is an iconic game, in fact, it's part of an important series. The Elder Scrolls is an iconic series starting in the 90s and lasting up to this day with Elder Scrolls 6 coming sometime soon in the future (And chances are, Bethesda will try to get it on Switch). It's an important series that helped popularize fantasy games and open world games.

And don't forget, the people behind Breath of the Wild admitted that they took inspiration from Skyrim (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-skyrim-influenced-breath-of-the-wild/1100-6455780/). BOTW might not have been as great if it wasn't for Skyrim. That, combined with Skyrim's legacy and long-lasting popularity and cultural impact, makes the game something significant that would catch Sakurai's attention.

As for a moveset, Dovahkiin has plenty to work with. He has axes, shields, long swords, maces, and a variety of spells such as a reanimating spell that makes dead enemies fight for you, a fire spell, ice spell, a spell to enhance armor, a spell to teleport a Wolf ally next to you, paralysis spell, telekinesis, area of effect spells, etc. Sakurai could add a unique mechanic to Dovahkiin where he can enhance his weapons and even coat different spells onto them. For example, Dragonborn could have a regular mace that he can add a fire effect or paralysis effect to it. The possibilities are endless. As for skins, the automatic one will go to the iconic nordic armor set seen in so much of the promotional material and the other 7 skins can be of other species you can play as.

And that is why I think Dragonborn/Dovahkiin is one of the most likely characters right now. Honestly, if he was a japanese character, I would have given him a 70% chance. Him being a western character does hurt his chances quite a bit, but he is one of the few I can see making it in for reasons I've stated.
6. Ryu Hayabusa - Ryu is an icon from the NES era. Ninja Gaiden is one of the few NES legends not represented yet and Ryu has plenty of interesting moveset potential to separate himself from Greninja and Sheik. Plus, he fits the theme of underwhelming final characters for Smash. Not that Ryu is a bad character or anything. He is just not that requested and the only reason why he got a bunch of attention was from iamshifty who swore that Ryu was going to be in the first fighters pass, which turned out to be false. Still, that doesn't decrease his chances.

So with this train of thought, the likely characters are:
1. Geno
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Steve
4. Crash
5. Dovahkiin
6. Ryu Hayabusa

To be honest, this is a real stretch, especially since Nintendo could very well not split it up evenly and, for example, may only bring in characters from companies already involved with Smash. I guess this just proves that no matter how much you break things down, our predictions can still be far off. But you know what? This was fun to make and hopefully it got some of you thinking. Well, if any of you bothered reading this much...which is like holy s*** I probably should stop typing because this is a lot.

Edit: Dammit I forgot about Travis Touchdown. See what I mean? Too many video game characters. I guess I will still stick with my list.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yeah, I like how the Direct was like "We made this character in absolutely secrecy, so very few people at Nintendo even know who it is!" to "Nintendo made me put them in..."

It almost feels like Nintendo went "Sakurai is the magical pixie face of Smash that everyone loves, and now everyone is mad at him! Quick, shift the blame to faceless Nintendo execs so we can go back to using him as a mascot!"
except Nintendo didnt make him the mascot of smash. the fanbase did. the "sakurai please memes, the daddy sakurai says memes, the "never ask me for anything ever again."

-looking to sakurai for reactions to characters combos in personand more. Nintendo didn't create that the fanbase did.

and your theory still requires that sakurai is just straight uo lying in the colum which raises the question of why.

please give me dante in this season pass 2 just so i can observe
1.renewed fear of a combo action game character
2. people whine about another "swordsman"
3. people pretend to not know who he is.
4. which the salt from certain fanbases that another newer character got in over their beloved retro character.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet

There’s also Xenoblade definitive edition coming out later this year which Nintendo may want to push for.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Sakurai counted Fire Emblem Heroes as an FE game as seen during his counting so he does at least respect mobile gaming to some extent, though I think Cygames' other IP would be prioritized, that being Granblue Fantasy. Sure, Dragalia Lost is fully owned by Nintendo, but last I checked, they own 10% of Cygames, meaning negotiations wouldn't be hard to do. Granblue is HUGE in Japan yet it's rather obscure outside of it, though the new fighting game's coming out here next month. While I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Granblue and I know **** all about Dragalia Lost, I'm thinking Granblue would rake in more attention
I don't think you're wrong, per se, but I do think all of that only makes Dragalia Lost more likely than Granblue.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Geno is admittedly a gray area. That said, if we treat him as a third party, then he competes with other, better choices for a third Square Enix rep.
finally an honest person. geno vs the rest of squares lineup isnt fair. geno vs one FF game isnt even fair.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

For starters, FE is doing well, but saying it's Nintendo's third biggest franchise is a huge exaggeration. Outside the big 3 (Mario [spinoffs included], Zelda, Pokemon), it's still dwarfed by Smash, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon. The best comparison is calling it an equal to Kirby, because sales have been pretty close between the two franchises lately. It got a character because of good timing and a rotating cast.

Second, you're focusing on money and sales, which wasn't the point I was trying to make at all. A lot of people still dislike Corrin and Bayo as a character to this day because of Smash. I think there were better ways of promoting 3H, most of which wouldn't have caused such an uproar. I don't expect Byleth to be an easy topic for conversation any time soon, which is why I say adding him may have done more harm to his name than good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't think you're wrong, per se, but I do think all of that only makes Dragalia Lost more likely than Granblue.
I'm aware of that argument, but what I mean is that they can get the stupidly large hit VERY easily, especially as Granblue's already branched out of just mobile gaming with an anime, the Arcsys game, that game Platinum worked on, etc

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
except Nintendo didnt make him the mascot of smash. the fanbase did.
It doesn't really matter how it happened. It still happened and Nintendo knows it. And having people mad at Sakurai is like having people mad at Pikachu. Its bad for business.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
please give me dante in this season pass 2 just so i can observe
1.renewed fear of a combo action game character
2. people whine about another "swordsman"
3. people pretend to not know who he is.
4. which the salt from certain fanbases that another newer character got in over their beloved retro character.
You say that as if people didn't want Dante over Byleth. Also, Dante isn't that new.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
On the contrary, I think it's a pretty good idea. You get a character who would otherwise have to wait until the next game to make it in and it's cool to try out someone whose game is essentially "out around right about now" instead of thinking "oh, what if this character who got released just now was in Smash... His moveset would be like this or that."

Also, people didn't make fun of PSASBR just because Donte was recent, it was because Donte alienated just about every DMC fan before his game even released. Neither Corrin or Byleth did that.
There was literally more DLC happening. Byleth could've been part of Vol 2. Smash Bros character resonates so much more to people because there's a connection, people had time to play and learn about these characters. Add extremely new character before you even know how the game they're associated with is received is a gamble and is only done for marketing purposes. Jumping the gun like that can lead to you putting in a character that people just hated, like Corrin, or someone that's not interesting at all like Byleth. Imagine if Nintendo decided that a character from Metroid Prime Federation Force would be a new character to add to Smash Bros before they revealed that trailer at E3, that could've gone super badly.

This whole idea is just a gamble to market games and so far it's not working well in the long run. And if it continues you're just going to burn people out and cheapen Smash Bros.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Fiora could be added to promote Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition since appearing in someone else's FS didn't stop Chrom and they could always use her new artwork from DE for the fighter spirit.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Fiora could be added to promote Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition since appearing in someone else's FS didn't stop Chrom and they could always use her new artwork from DE for the fighter spirit.
she could also come with some missing Xeno 1 spirits like the other Faces (who had trophies in 4), Egil, Vanea...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There’s also Xenoblade definitive edition coming out later this year which Nintendo may want to push for.
Maybe. The only reason I'm skeptical is because remakes historically don't contribute to adding much new content in Smash, or at least not on the roster. I could see them promoting a remake with an Echo, but taking the time to build a completely new character is a different story. I feel like they'd spend that time on representing a newer game with very little content.

It's still a possibility though, so I won't act like it's something that absolutely can't happen.

Folt

Smash Ace
There was literally more DLC happening. Byleth could've been part of Vol 2. Smash Bros character resonates so much more to people because there's a connection, people had time to play and learn about these characters. Add extremely new character before you even know how the game they're associated with is received is a gamble and is only done for marketing purposes. Jumping the gun like that can lead to you putting in a character that people just hated, like Corrin, or someone that's not interesting at all like Byleth. Imagine if Nintendo decided that a character from Metroid Prime Federation Force would be a new character to add to Smash Bros before they revealed that trailer at E3, that could've gone super badly.

This whole idea is just a gamble to market games and so far it's not working well in the long run. And if it continues you're just going to burn people out and cheapen Smash Bros.
And yet playing as Byleth in Smash also builds a connection with them. I know people who hate Corrin in the FE games and who hate Fates and who still likes and wants to play as them in Smash because they like how he acts and plays in Smash. That's building a connection. That's resonating with a character. That's without the character having a history behind them. They just liked how they played in Smash. That's why there's always a chance even a character whose game is still making history can find a player that wanted them.

Recent characters always tend to be controversial, and yet people pick them up anyway. Whether it's casual or competitive, both Corrin and Byleth had something attractive about them for someone to want to play as them. That's why we do need extremely new characters for Smash. They can't all be boomer picks after all.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
she could also come with some missing Xeno 1 spirits like the other Faces (who had trophies in 4), Egil, Vanea...
That, or they could just opt for using the new renders of the main cast.

Boring, I know...but it's definitely an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom