• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Let’s just drop this ww3 stuff away and move on. I don’t wanna see this thread turn into a political thread.

here’s something to talk about instead

What got you interested into Nintendo and becoming a Nintendo fan?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If this isn't a sign that we're getting really closer to that reveal, I don't know what is.
Well, the DMC twitter teasing multiple dates to check out due to new exclusive Switch features like a seemingly leaked Style Switching feature(which for the record, thank ****ing god as that removes one of the biggest issues I have with DMC3)

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Let’s just drop this ww3 stuff away and move on. I don’t wanna see this thread turn into a political thread.

My parents introduced my family to the NES.

First game I played was Bart vs the World.

Krankees

Smash Ace

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, I know how alts and echoes work within existing character picks. But, what new, never before done things do you think can be done with them?
Alts already have different voices when they have one(poor Alph suffers due to that alone. I like him as an alt, but I do agree he should have a voice, same with Olimar). Their animations sometimes look almost different with the male/female variants, but they're the same. Alts at most can have some pretty cool stuff, like Meta Ridley, but they're extremely limited because they must have the same gameplay differences.

Even Daisy, the worst Echo in terms of uniqueness, has a slight gameplay difference(different animations mean different hurtboxes. It's pretty meh). What more Echoes can do easily is having different/variable moves like the custom moves from 4 ported over(Daisy would be cool with that), could have more reskinned moves, and maybe slightly change them(Daisy, to user her as an example again, could have Radishes, which might not change the hitbox, though. It would at best maybe make how easily you can grab them different due to a different shape if it has less width. They could also have different attack values like a previous Update mistakenly put in).

Another thing for Echoes is a different Final Smash. This would do wonders as is. Even if it's not super different. Since Daisy's a fun subject, instead of putting people to sleep, she could poison them, but still gain health from eating a daisy(which actually relates to real life, as eating daisies are healthy). There's a ton of options, really.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

Among the games and consoles I inherited from my older brother were an N64 and a Game Boy Color (as well as a Genesis, a Dreamcast, and a Game Gear, plus many PC games.)

Since I’ve been playing those games for as long as I can remember, I’m thus too young to remember what my first videogame experiences were like, or which game was my first.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Alongside the update, there's a tournament where the gimmick is you team up with any amiibo you own.

D

Deleted member

Ok this is epic
Edit::ultgreninja:

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Alongside the update, there's a tournament where the gimmick is you team up with any amiibo you own.
Man Alpharad's got this one in the bag huh?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Alts already have different voices when they have one(poor Alph suffers due to that alone. I like him as an alt, but I do agree he should have a voice, same with Olimar). Their animations sometimes look almost different with the male/female variants, but they're the same. Alts at most can have some pretty cool stuff, like Meta Ridley, but they're extremely limited because they must have the same gameplay differences.

Even Daisy, the worst Echo in terms of uniqueness, has a slight gameplay difference(different animations mean different hurtboxes. It's pretty meh). What more Echoes can do easily is having different/variable moves like the custom moves from 4 ported over(Daisy would be cool with that), could have more reskinned moves, and maybe slightly change them(Daisy, to user her as an example again, could have Radishes, which might not change the hitbox, though. It would at best maybe make how easily you can grab them different due to a different shape if it has less width. They could also have different attack values like a previous Update mistakenly put in).

Another thing for Echoes is a different Final Smash. This would do wonders as is. Even if it's not super different. Since Daisy's a fun subject, instead of putting people to sleep, she could poison them, but still gain health from eating a daisy(which actually relates to real life, as eating daisies are healthy). There's a ton of options, really.
Yeah, some additional small differences for echoes would be nice. We kind of have to discuss alts rather than echoes currently due to where the DLC seems to be heading, though, so I’d like to see what ways alts could be more unique (although, as you said, they can always just reference other colors via color schemes, so they can always just turn to that.)

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I think this strongly suggests we aren't getting the new character until after the amiibo release. Seems like we're waiting a little bit longer.
Basically another Joker/Hero situation right? As both came out after the amiibo release of the month.

Only difference is it could be until February here.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Welp, this will end up a slow week if that pokemon direct turns out to have no interesting news regarding Pokemon. For all we know, it's probably just talking about Pokemon Home and other crap

kylexv

Smash Master
It's now safe to say a February release for FP#5 I feel. Reveal could happen whenever, just anytime before the end of next month.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Basically another Joker/Hero situation right? As both came out after the amiibo release of the month.

Only difference is it could be until February here.
Pretty much. The new character probably won't be released until the 20th at the earliest. February is also a possibility.

If we do end up getting a Direct next week, a same-day release might not happen, but we could still get a reveal.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, some additional small differences for echoes would be nice. We kind of have to discuss alts rather than echoes currently due to where the DLC seems to be heading, though, so I’d like to see what ways alts could be more unique (although, as you said, they can always just reference other colors via color schemes, so they can always just turn to that.)
I feel Hero is a great example of the most you can do at this point. No overly weird costume pieces that stick out too much, preventing hitbox/hurtbox issues(or issues that people might mistake something for one of those). The thing with alts is there's a really tiny amount of stuff you can do. Any alt with unique voice clips take extra work, same with using more than a quick color change(though they still take work). As noted, Meta Ridley is a big change. The actual costume wasn't even in the demos, which considering the extra polygons needed, makes sense.

I do like the idea of reference-based ones, though. Like how Daisy was before Ultimate, just a recolor that was pretty much the same bar the actual hard features.

I admit I'm more into Echo talk, but eh.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Welp, this will end up a slow week if that pokemon direct turns out to have no interesting news regarding Pokemon. For all we know, it's probably just talking about Pokemon Home and other crap
It's got Sword and Shield content.

toonito

Smash Ace
from what i've read dark samus and richter are NOT compatible with our current patch, 6.1.0, so one of two things will happen:

a patch for amiibo compability (6.1.1 based on your analysis) drops alone. This means if my updated Amiibo theory is correct FP5 has until January 31st to release (29th really since all FPs except Hero released on a Wednesday)

OR

the amiibo compatibility patch drops with FP5 and we know FP5 will be patch 7.0.0. If this is the case then FP5 will be released by the 15th at the latest since amiibo compatibility patches are released before a new amiibo wave.
scenario 1 it is

if updated amiibo theory is true January 29th is the deadline for FP5

if the theory is false we got until end of February for FP5

andree123

Smash Ace

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I hope that it isn't Sword and Shield content only.

Detective Pikachu 2 (Switch) and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Switch are my hopes for the direct.
I'd love Pokemon Snap 2/Switch/Remake/Whatever. Simple, but it'd be a great way to get all the models onto the Switch, which at least would give Gamefreak more time to transfer them over in the long run(if that becomes the decision by Masuda, who actually did say he wasn't sure if he wanted the full Pokedex back).

(Just to clarify, I don't have really an opinion on the Dex stuff. I get why it's a lot to bring back, but I get the disappointment. I remain neutral overall).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It sort of makes sense, Geno's basically THE last of the old Brawl guard that isn't properly playable yet. Besides maybe Skull Kid.
I can't imagine the building insanity of seeing all these long-asked characters making it in while your million-viewed character gets left in the dust.
I personally left Geno behind as a Fighter 5 possibility with the Spirit battle, though the door's open in the future.
Geno being the "last of the old guard" is extremely revisionist history. There are plenty of characters that have been popularly requested since pre-Brawl that are still not in yet, and actually managed to retain more consistently their popularity than Geno did (who to be fair I am strongly expecting to be DLC). Isaac was just as popularly requested as Geno was during pre-Brawl, and much more requested than him during pre-Smash 4 and the ballot period. Krystal was more requested than Geno during pre-Brawl, and more requested during pre-Smash 4.

After Brawl's release, Geno collapsed as a popularly requested character (to the point where he was barely within the Top 50 at one point).

Lots of characters have long running and passionate fanbases. Geno basically has been a flash in the pan at two points. From the summer of 2006 to Brawl's release (after which his fanbase popped), and it emerged again during the summer of 2018 (K. Rool's confirmation is when activity and interest around Geno took off again).

I have been around since pre-Melee so my perspective is a bit different, and the closest character left there is to the likes of Ridley and K. Rool, is probably Isaac (who has had a consistent high amount of requests since 2001.

I will get a poll from years ago out and put a lengthy analysis of it. However, I think people tend to let whatever is the latest popular opinion at the time, color over what the past actually was.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
So far I'm saying the best bet is a Direct on the 13th, regular Directs are typically a week after Pokemon ones and the DMC twitter listed that as an important date to keep up with alongside the 30th and I believe February 12th
You mean the 16th?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So far I'm saying the best bet is a Direct on the 13th, regular Directs are typically a week after Pokemon ones and the DMC twitter listed that as an important date to keep up with alongside the 30th and I believe February 12th
You mean the 16th?
If it's next week, it'll likely be somewhere between the 14th and 16th. I don't think Directs are usually on Mondays or Fridays, certainly not on the weekends.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean, just because the update is coming doesn't mean the fighter is coming, it was always meant to be February and fighters are basically always announced in advance. I don't get why everyone's freaking it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, just because the update is coming doesn't mean the fighter is coming, it was always meant to be February and fighters are basically always announced in advance. I don't get why everyone's freaking it.
They said February was the latest it would be out, not that it would only release during that month.

It's not the same situation. Though I do think February is more likely myself, the whole "it was always meant to be" is not a stated thing at all.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It's got Sword and Shield content.

Maybe they'll officially reveal Gigantamax Toxtricity and Gigantamax Melmetal. I wouldn't expect much more besides that. Remember when they had a 24-hour stream just to reveal one new regional form?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Wow are you telling me a wrestler pokemon's moveset was inspired by a wrestler? Deary me what a shocker! Next you'll tell me the martiap artist pokemon's moveset had martial arts as a theme

Lloyd has 2 swords, Yuri has 1, Velvet has 2 swords on her limbs and a demonic claw. Absolutely impossible, even with Hero's leniency
Eh, it's more like the usage of a few moves might've been inspired by Zangief.

Incineroar is highly unique, but he's still a wrestler archtype. Some characters are good for inspiration. He's definitely not Zangief reskinned by any means.
1 Special Move != entire character. I wouldn't exactly consider Incineroar a copy and paste of Zangief. There are just some parallels between the two.
I exaggerated the thing on purpose, the post is not completely serious, I said I wrote it as a copypasta. Anyway, it still annoy me that the character added to each iteration of Smash seem to not be balanced enough. I mean, we got the character to please the western online community, Ridley... then we got the character to please the western online community, King K Rool, and after that, we got the character to please the western online community, Banjo & Kazooie. Along with that, we got a Street Fighter character, a Pokèmon based on a Street Fighter character, and another fighting game character who uses similar mechanics as the Street Fighter ones. And since those characters are not enough, we also got 2 JRPG characters in the same fighter pass, and FP5 is not even known, it might be a third JRPG character even! Or another fighting game character... or both at the same time, if it's from Grand Blue.

This is what annoys me, and the fact that instead of trying to be original, they focused on an existing character from a different game and based the whole character on that, not just the moveset but also the personality and behavior. It clearly shows that they don't care of uniqueness and there is too much focus only on a few genres/games while other stuff gets completely ignored.

Some people call it "Sakurai Bias", I don't know if that's the case, but there's something wrong in the way the characters are selected, at least IMO.

While Incineroar obviously isn't a Zangief clone, I generally agree with the message of this post. As a series, Pokemon characters have the potential to be strange, unique fighters who are fully distinct from any other character on the roster. That's why it's kinda lame to see Incineroar take on the path of a humanoid wrestler, there's numerous other characters who could have followed this fighting style.
Indeed. I'm starting to get why Incineroar was hated on reveal.

I mean, I'd say Inkling was a pretty unique newcomer...

Heck, I'd say most of Ultimate's newcomers stand out really well.
In fact the post was exaggerated. There are some characters I like; Plant and Inkling are my favorite of the set because of their unique playstyle, and I think Hero is interesting due to the spell gimmick (though I don't like how they implemented it, random spells and having to select them through a menu, I think the Monado Arts are way better designed).

If you're talking about the characters themselves, we got Inklings, Ridley, and K. Rool. Those were three characters the fanbase had practically been begging for. I honestly don't know how Sakurai could top that.

If you're referring to movesets, I actually like the simplicity of them. Smash 4 gave us so many gimmicky characters that relied on some type of special ability, and most of them were just annoying as heck to fight against. It's nice that a lot of Ultimate's base roster newcomers don't require a power meter or some kind of special magic.
I like simple characters as well when they are well done, though I'm still disappointed with the current roster, because I'm interested only in a couple of the newcomers and I don't care of the rest. As I said above, I'm not refering to the moveset but to the selection criteria in general. Some movesets are fine, it's just that I'm not interested in the characters... I don't think I'd play as Ridley or as the Belmonts regardless of the moveset, simply because they aren't my type of characters. I'm happy that Ridley is finally in, so Metroid feels more complete, but I wasn't a supporter, I'm indifferent to it.

But me being disappointed of the roster is not a new thing, I said it since the game's release that most of the newcomers don't interest me.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...I'd just be happy with the character reveal. Joker admittedly I knew nothing about, so I had little to speculate on. The rest of the group I had a lot of ideas of how they work.

So if it's just a trailer, we got a Joker situation or a Hero/BK/Terry situation for me. Either could be interesting, really~

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Yeah my bad lol, 16th of January.

Anyway me when Sakurai reveals FP5 in a direct but withholds gameplay yet again so we have another month to speculate on what the character may do
View attachment 256253
If it happens to be the case that the character is too buggy for a proper trailer, I’d still be kind of curious about what some of those bugs are (although, that’s more so a thing they’d post on their Twitter or in the Mr. Sakurai Presents than in a Direct.) Might be amusing to see a more comprehensive glitch montage or something eventually, as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If it happens to be the case that the character is too buggy for a proper trailer, I’d still be kind of curious about what some of those bugs are (although, that’s more so a thing they’d post on their Twitter or in the Mr. Sakurai Presents than in a Direct.) Might be amusing to see a more comprehensive glitch montage or something eventually, as well.
Thing is, if a character is too buggy to have a trailer ready in less than a month, then you know ****'s REALLY bad. Characters don't need to be finished to make a trailer, merely presentable, and if you aren't at that point, something's gone horribly wrong

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Character 5 is probably finishing up right about now. I'd say work on 6, 7, and maybe 8 is beginning, if not well on its way.

Anyways here's why it's going to be Sora in this essay I will

kylexv

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Amiibo update, I hope this is a Joker situation for FP5.
What's weird is that this notification doesn't expire until the end of the month. Typically, these types of notifications expire within a week's time.

Scratch my previous comment about a February release being assumed. I'd say it's 99.9% at this point that FP#5 comes out in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom