• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I would s*** my pants if Godzilla was legitimately announced for Smash. I'm a huge kaiju fan and Godzilla is a huge icon in Japan. Too bad he's too big.
Me too. I would scream so loud in happiness if it happened.
1. Monsterverse Godzilla
2. 1954 Godzilla
3. Showa Godzilla
4. Heisei Godzilla
5. 1999 Godzilla
6. 2001 Godzilla
7. Godzilla Earth
8. Shin Godzilla
Also Space Godzilla as his Echo Fighter.
1. Godzilla
2. Anguirus
3. Mothra
4. Rodan
5. Ghidorah
6. Jet Jauger
7. Zilla Jr
8. Gigan
9. Megaguirus
10. Another popular kaiju
12. King Kong
13. Space Godzilla (Echo Fighter of Godzilla)
And Destoroyah as a boss.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I do wish there was another Godzilla fighting game. I never got around to playing the one on PS4 and now its expensive.

Anyway, back to Smash: I'm curious, what do you guys think of Monokuma's chances? One of the characters in the game (not gonna say who because of possible spoilers) was one of the most cosplayed characters in Japan which is quite something. And Danganronpa has become one of the most popular visual novel series in recent years. The only big blow to Monokuma's chances is that Danganronpa still has zero presence on Nintendo (unless if you count the Danganronpa content in Crypt of the Necrodancer which is a huge stretch). Regardless Monokuma would be really cool and the music is so great.

D

Deleted member

I do wish there was another Godzilla fighting game. I never got around to playing the one on PS4 and now its expensive.

Anyway, back to Smash: I'm curious, what do you guys think of Monokuma's chances? One of the characters in the game (not gonna say who because of possible spoilers) was one of the most cosplayed characters in Japan which is quite something. And Danganronpa has become one of the most popular visual novel series in recent years. The only big blow to Monokuma's chances is that Danganronpa still has zero presence on Nintendo (unless if you count the Danganronpa content in Crypt of the Necrodancer which is a huge stretch). Regardless Monokuma would be really cool and the music is so great.
Monokuma would be really cool, and maybe they do get in Smash.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Imagine for a moment, due to the massive succes of Fire Emblem Three Houses, and the series owing their coming to the West thanks to Smash Bros., we get an entire Fire Emblem Fighters Pass with Byleth, Dimitri, Edelgard and Claude as newcomers.

Your reaction?
Friendship ended with Smash Bros DLC.
Now Samurai Shodown DLC is my best friend.

I really can't see a reality where Nintendo would be quite so tone-deaf as to do that, but I would almost take it as intentional trolling if they did.

Now that this site has a "we need more female characters" identify, I wonder what Sakurai is going to add to dispoint those people s/
Let's go, "Female New Donker"!
That would really shake things up.
:-/

Geno is an actual character, and not a generic mook.
This.
That's always been my issue with the plant.
Characters I don't like are... (generally) whatever, but they are at least characters.

No matter how 'unique' they may end up being, I wouldn't want to see Koopa Troopa, Octorok, OK Zoomer, or Klaptrap on the roster.
I already look at Mario Kart and go, "Why?" >_>

And just in case someone feels like calling me out on it, I actually do have similar feelings about generic Pokemon.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
why do we Smash fans have to be so ungrateful?

Smash is probably among the only the series where Nintendo actually listens to the fan feedback.

People are still waiting for their new F-Zeros and proper Paper Marios, while we're over here getting longtime fan demand character after longtime fan demand character, and yet y'all still complain about comparatively minor stuff like "tOo mAnY fIrE eMbLeMs" and "PiRaNhA pLaNt dOeSn'T dEsErvE a SpOt " and such

geez, guys, show some respect. Sakurai and his team have done so much for us.

I can see why we have a reputation for being among the worst gaming fanbases

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Monokuma has made a couple of appearances on Nintendo consoles before.

Only hit against him right now imo is being on Vergebens kill list. And I’m personally not taking that TOO seriously atm because of reasons stated before.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
why do Smash fans have to be so ungrateful?

Smash is probably among the only the series where Nintendo actually listens to the fan feedback.

People are still waiting for their new F-Zeros and proper Paper Marios, while we're over here getting longtime fan demand character after longtime fan demand character, and yet y'all still complain about comparatively minor stuff like "tOo mAnY fIrE eMbLeMs" and "Piranha Plant didn't deserve a spot" and such

geez, guys, show some respect. Sakurai amd his team have done so much for us.

I can see why we have a reputation for being among the worst gaming fanbases
Agree, good thing I'm patient with waiting for new characters. I respect Sakurai for doing so much for us, it's sad that fans whine and demand for overrated requested characters too much.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
toad would cause precisely zero stir within the larger smash community and consumerbase as a whole
like, come on
it's toad
who tf would be excited for toad he's like the most cookie cutter mario character you could add
piranha plant caused a stir because it's wacky and weird as hell for a smash character
recognizability ≠ popularity and impact- otherwise we would've had "cod guy of the week" three of four times over
Obviously wacky dumb meme stuff will get traction online, but that doesn't mean it's a good choice. Plus that kind of shock value wears off very fast and you end up with what the character actually brings.

D

Deleted member

Mario Kart wishes to have the roster of Smash Ultimate or Mario Tennis Aces.

D

Deleted member

Smash fans don't have to be grateful towards something they're paying for. At the end of the day, Smash is a product and if they don't make it an appealing buy for consumers, then the only one who loses is Nintendo.
On the other hand, getting upset at a game to the point you throw insults at others and leaves it clear you're emotionally dependent on it isn't healthy at all.

D

Deleted member

I basically got every top dream pick I wanted not just in Smash Ultimate, but also many other games.

So I am at this point where I can’t honestly complain about anything to come and just enjoy whatever we get.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

I love Danganronpa so I'd love Monokuma, monster that he is. He and Heihachi are I think the likeliest chances we probably have at getting a third-party villain (and I think Nightmare, he's a villain too iirc).

Only downside is that Monokuma would have a tough time feeling like himself in Smash as a playable character. His whole thing is that he's untouchable, so if anyone harms him or even breaks his rules...yeah. And having a general Final Smash for everyone on the roster would be just a tad disappointing instead of a unique one for everyone, which would be a lot of work.

If the Smash team was able to find a way to make Monokuma playable while making him still feel like himself, he would be an incredible addition to the roster. As for his chances though, I don't think he's as likely as some other big third-party characters. I would also be surprised if Monokuma was included before Phoenix Wright if we're going with murder mystery games.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Obviously wacky dumb meme stuff will get traction online, but that doesn't mean it's a good choice. Plus that kind of shock value wears off very fast and you end up with what the character actually brings.
Didn’t Sakurai basically say that in an interview? He said in that the main reason for which he picked Plant was instead to bring diversity to the roster via it not being just another heroic protagonist.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Monokuma in smash would be downrigjt hilariously good
His Final Smash would be all of the executions depending on how much damage your opponent has.
10-20%: Blast Off!
30-40%: Spears of Gungnir
50-60%: The 1,000 Blows
70-80%: The Cage of Death
90-100%: The Burning of the Witch
200-300%: Excavator Destroyer
400-500%: After School Lesson
600-700%: The Ultimate Punishment

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I like Byleth but I'd rather have Edelgard, Claude or Dimitri before him. The thing is, Byleth is the best way to represent Three Houses. Not everyone has played all the routes. And c'mon, I'm almost completely sure Sakurai would pick Byleth to rep 3H. If we get a character from the game we all know Byleth would be the fighter.

Picking Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri over Byleth isn't comparable, in my opinion, to the Robin and Chrom situation. Awakening doesn't have multiple routes and while I think it's valid to say Chrom is the main character for at least a portion of the story, Robin's in the end the most important one. With Three Houses you have different stories or points of view. If someone only plays, I dunno, the Golden Deer route, he won't know very well the other lords... specially Dimitri in that route (srsly, while I loved Golden Deer Dimitri's intervention in there is a joke).

A cool option already discussed is Byleth as the fighter with a moveset that, besides his whipsword and his time powers, he could "summon" the 3 lords for some of his moves. Some people said this would be a bad representation of the game, mainly because of what happens after the timeskip. And while they are partially right, I mean... that really matters? Smash isn't precisely the best example for logic and good representation of the source material. If we follow that Samus should be a lot faster and capable of do crazy **** like the shinespark, for example. So that doesn't really matter beyond if you like it or not.

After Byleth Edelgard would be the best option if we try to rep the game in general, I guess, for obvious reasons. But as I said if we get a 3H character we will get Byleth, at best we would get Byleth with some presence of the 3 lords in his moveset (or as a part of his Final Smash).

Finally, maybe this is an unpopular opinion but if some of the main lords end appearing as playable characters or as a part of Byleth moveset I would rather have them with their timeskip designs.
Nothing against the pre timeskip designs, they're nice. But c'mon, their timeskip designs are 100 times better and super cool, specially Dimitri, which I think is the lord that could fit more well into Smash.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

I got into Danganronpa after I got a "Every Death in Danganronpa" compilation recommended to me on YouTube on October. I bought its trilogy after just watching the first execution, then got the Zero Escape trilogy after finishing it. Suffice to say, Spike Chunsoft makes some pretty good visual novels and wrestling games and it's a disgrace that 999 didn't get any spirits. I don't think Monokuma is ever happening, but it would be a nice surprise, even as a Mii Costume+Music Track package. If he were to get in, it'll be great seeing half the Smash fanbase that doesn't know about Danganronpa get into it then get distraught that the series is basically done.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I wanna say Monokuma, even if he's unlikely is one of the few viable Visual Novel reps we may get. The other two I can think of being Phoenix Wright and Saber.

I know Monokuma would add in a neat flare to the roster if he got in. A demented mascot in a pool of colorful mascots would make him stick out.

Sidenote: I do feel like we need a Visual Novel rep since that is one genre we don't have a character yet for.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

Idk how likely Monokuma is. Spike is pretty cool with Nintendo obviously. I think my problem is, that there are soooo many other third parties Spike has to compete with. There's a chance Sakurai will pick a DR char, there's a chance there will not. I'd love to see it happen either way though, although I prefer a human character like Naegi or Hinata. I promise it's not because the latter is one of my fav video game chars. ;w;

P.Kat

Smash Champion
The characters from Three Houses sound like they'd be great for Smash, but honestly, they're only two FE characters I want, and that's Lyn, and/or Fjorm (from FE Heroes).

So would anyone suggest Three Houses to someone who's only FE game experience is with Heroes?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
All this arguing over Byleth and Edleguard. No one ever considers the only remaining non-trash picks from the Fire Emblem series.

Goku and Barbie
1576638627415.png
1576638613662.png

His Final Smash would be all of the executions depending on how much damage your opponent has.
10-20%: Blast Off!
30-40%: Spears of Gungnir
50-60%: The 1,000 Blows
70-80%: The Cage of Death
90-100%: The Burning of the Witch
200-300%: Excavator Destroyer
400-500%: After School Lesson
600-700%: The Ultimate Punishment
Very rarely would you see excavator destroyer, and you would never see After School Lesson or The Ultimate Punishment.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Scenes when fighter 5 is Okabe Rintarou. The definitive editions of every Steins;Gate game is available on the Switch. It could happen.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Idk how likely Monokuma is. Spike is pretty cool with Nintendo obviously. I think my problem is, that there are soooo many other third parties Spike has to compete with. There's a chance Sakurai will pick a DR char, there's a chance there will not. I'd love to see it happen either way though, although I prefer a human character like Naegi or Hinata. I promise it's not because the latter is one of my fav video game chars. ;w;
To be fair, Joker also had a ton of third parties to compete with.

It all depends on if Sakurai wants to make it happen or not, regardless of competition.

D

Deleted member

Shut up everyone.

Soundwave is Fighter 5.

My source is Megatro- I mean John Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom