• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I typically play more gameplay focused games than story ones, but what you said has intrigued me. Sounds like the kind of game that would leave me chuckling quite often.
That's what the first game was for me. If you know literally nothing about the series than what I've told you, I think you're in for a good time, even if it doesn't become your favorite series.

Only real warning I say is if you play the first game, skip Case 5 Rise From the Ashes until after you beat the trilogy.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I typically play more gameplay focused games than story ones, but what you said has intrigued me. Sounds like the kind of game that would leave me chuckling quite often.
Ace Attorney is legitimately funny, there was a couple times I had to put down the DS to laugh. It's also good at being actually suspenseful and heartfelt.

The series is really good at balancing it's tone.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This feels like the calm before the storm, unless there is another spirit event I feel we either will get a hard confirmation on who is fighter 5 or we'll go blind into the VGA.
I don't usually pay attention to Spirit Events, but now that we're close to a reveal and anyone could get Spirit Board-ed... when are Spirit Events usually announced?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'd like to hope that that becomes a reality. One thing though... who should be the default...

I mean, Sakura SHINGUJI is practically THE face of the series, and yet... Sakura AMAMIYA could just as easily pull a 'Luminary' on us, as SEGA would probably think that her game would most likely need all the available promotion it can scrounge up.
I was thinking about that, but I dismissed it for a couple reasons:
-Unlike the DQ Heroes both Sakuras are established characters with individual personalities and things that define them, therefore it becomes a bit more picky about which one is the default one
-Judging from Sakurai’s tweet about the DLC being decided in November, Sakura would’ve been planned four months before Shin Sakura Wars’ official announcement so Shinguji would’ve likely gotten the edge anyways
-Shinguji is basically a Japanese cultural icon, having her as the main outfit would definitely cause a lot more buzz as a result but having Amamiya along as an alt would be just as good for helping promote the series as both would recieve recognition as a result

But I wouldn’t mind either being the main alt tbh, they both have visually appealing designs and would both help the series overall in their own respective ways so in the end it’s all up to how things worked out.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Okay, I'm convinced. Ace Attorney sounds fun, and I'm off to play it.
That's what the first game was for me. If you know literally nothing about the series than what I've told you, I think you're in for a good time, even if it doesn't become your favorite series.

Only real warning I say is if you play the first game, skip Case 5 Rise From the Ashes until after you beat the trilogy.
Well, Hinata Hinata 's post had more details. Will knowledge of the stuff in their post affect my enjoyment of a first-time playthrough?

D

Deleted member

Well, Hinata Hinata 's post had more details. Will knowledge of the stuff in their post affect my enjoyment of a first-time playthrough?
Not sure. I was very much completely blind when I played Ace Attorney. Just don't pay it any mind and have fun. Some of the stuff she mentions doesn't happen until later games, anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Trust me, what I told you doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how ridiculous these games get.

That's why I love them so much.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Trust me, what I told you doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how ridiculous these games get.

That's why I love them so much.
Personally I feel like they got a little too ridiculous in the later games. The way the first 4 game handled the tone feels a lot better than what how the games that came after them did it.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Okay, I'm convinced. Ace Attorney sounds fun, and I'm off to play it.

You see this all is what makes Smash speculation all worth it. Even if Phoenix never gets in Smash, I'm glad the discussion around him has prompted others to explore new series and share about our favorite video games.

I hope you enjoy the games!

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I'm amazed that we have gone two full days without a deconfirmation. I think we need to look out for the event announcement tomorrow night in case there is another spirit event with brand new spirits, because some of us have a feeling that there's going to be another deconfirmation tomorrow night and could potentially send shockwaves throughout the speculation cycle like last week.

D

Deleted member

You see this all is what makes Smash speculation all worth it. Even if Phoenix never gets in Smash, I'm glad the discussion around him has prompted others to explore new series and share about our favorite video games.

I hope you enjoy the games!
Fun fact, this is how I was introduced to the series.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Personally I feel like they got a little too ridiculous in the later games. The way the first 4 game handled the tone feels a lot better than what how the games that came after them did it.
The 3DS era games just lack that Shu Takumi magic, I think. They up the both the cartoonishness and the drama without understanding what made the first four games work. Part of why I wish Dai Gyakuten Saiban had a snowball's chance in hell of getting localized...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The 3DS era games just lack that Shu Takumi magic, I think. They up the both the cartoonishness and the drama without understanding what made the first four games work. Part of why I wish Dai Gyakuten Saiban had a snowball's chance in hell of getting localized...
Yeah, I'll always revisit the Takumi games (Even the Layton crossover, say what you will about any spoilers from the final case of that game but Phoenix and Maya still feels consistent with the trilogy in terms of characterization.) But the 3DS games feel kinda uncomfortable to me, they did Trucy and Klavier dirty in those.

Dai gyakuten saiban is probably one of my favorites judging from the fan translation and my minimal knowledge of japanese.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Thinking on Morrigan a bit more I realized that Sakurai would not likely chose her if she was on a list of candidates for a very simple reason:
Mechanically, she’s basically another Ryu.
She has attacks that are certainly flashier and more thematic, but at the end of the day she still has a standard fireball and dragon punch. She has some tools Ryu doesn’t have, like a command grab and utility supers, but she’s still just a slight side step from standard fighter man. This is one of the reasons Capcom can stick her in basically everything while Ken has to sit out occasionally, She’s another Ryu type character disguised as a diversity pick.

Just about any character from Street Fighter, or any character from any of Capcom’s other franchises could provide more diverse mechanics and abilities to work with than Morrigan would.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Thinking on Morrigan a bit more I realized that Sakurai would not likely chose her if she was on a list of candidates for a very simple reason:
Mechanically, she’s basically another Ryu.
She has attacks that are certainly flashier and more thematic, but at the end of the day she still has a standard fireball and dragon punch. She has some tools Ryu doesn’t have, like a command grab and utility supers, but she’s still just a slight side step from standard fighter man. This is one of the reasons Capcom can stick her in basically everything while Ken has to sit out occasionally, She’s another Ryu type character disguised as a diversity pick.

Just about any character from Street Fighter, or any character from any of Capcom’s other franchises could provide more diverse mechanics and abilities to work with than Morrigan would.
Would you consider Megaman another Ryu because he has a fireball and DP?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Melty Blood would never, ever make it in but I would be ecstatic if it did.
I wonder why, isn't that the game that's pretty well known for being played on people's laptops in bars, cafes, restaurants and sometimes during cafeteria hours in high school?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
In my experience, the best way to get other people to try the Ace Attorney series is not to emphasize its fantastic writing, characters, and problem solving...

...but to instead draw attention to just how funny it is.

Ace Attorney is one of the funniest game series you'll ever play. It won't necessarily make you laugh super hard all the time or anything, but all the laughter you'll get from the situations and words the characters say will be 100% genuine. The series' sharp wit has a very distinct identity shaped by how punchy certain jokes can be due to the way the game's text boxes are edited.

Did you ever play EarthBound? Remember how, in that game, text would have different speeds of crawling across the screen depending on the context, to draw attention to certain lines or to communicate a certain way of speaking? The way Ace Attorney operates its text boxes is like EarthBound taken even further beyond. LOTS of care is taken to making its already sharp writing hit you as hard as possible with the VERY precise and exact way the text shows up, in every scene in the game.

Of course, the game isn't "on" 100% of the time with its text boxes, so the punchiness never gets exhausting. As funny as Ace Attorney is, it's surprisingly restrained at times.

So, yeah. If you want a game series that will make you laugh, please check the Ace Attorney games out. What other Ace Attorney fans have said is accurate and true, but I wanted to draw attention to its comedy and how it's done in a very special and considered way. I hope this helps put the series onto your "I gotta play this soon instead of later" brain category, haha.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't usually pay attention to Spirit Events, but now that we're close to a reveal and anyone could get Spirit Board-ed... when are Spirit Events usually announced?
There's only been, like, 5 events total. Some, like 3 months apart. Some a week apart. There's no pattern.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Spirit Events: causally exist

Speculation Discussion: We Sleep

Spirit Events: *causally adds an event involving popular characters that was just so happened to be topic of the week once*

Speculation Discussion: R E A L S H I T!?!

D

Deleted member

Good afternoon, God I'm soaking wet, here's to me catching a cold tomorrow...

Anyway, are we there yet? I mean, any intel? Pr back to running around in circles?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
In my experience, the best way to get other people to try the Ace Attorney series is not to emphasize its fantastic writing, characters, and problem solving...

...but to instead draw attention to just how funny it is.

Ace Attorney is one of the funniest game series you'll ever play. It won't necessarily make you laugh super hard all the time or anything, but all the laughter you'll get from the situations and words the characters say will be 100% genuine. The series' sharp wit has a very distinct identity shaped by how punchy certain jokes can be due to the way the game's text boxes are edited.

Did you ever play EarthBound? Remember how, in that game, text would have different speeds of crawling across the screen depending on the context, to draw attention to certain lines or to communicate a certain way of speaking? The way Ace Attorney operates its text boxes is like EarthBound taken even further beyond. LOTS of care is taken to making its already sharp writing hit you as hard as possible with the VERY precise and exact way the text shows up, in every scene in the game.

Of course, the game isn't "on" 100% of the time with its text boxes, so the punchiness never gets exhausting. As funny as Ace Attorney is, it's surprisingly restrained at times.

So, yeah. If you want a game series that will make you laugh, please check the Ace Attorney games out. What other Ace Attorney fans have said is accurate and true, but I wanted to draw attention to its comedy and how it's done in a very special and considered way. I hope this helps put the series onto your "I gotta play this soon instead of later" brain category, haha.
Wow I never thought about that, but it makes a ton sense concerning how much of comedy is dependent on timing.

I’ll need to keep that in mind when I get back to working on my own visual novel I’ll never finish.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
If Sora does happen to make it in, I'm very excited to swap my arena lobby music from Ring-a-Ding to Swim This Way.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I too am working on a visual novel through Ren'Py. Thank God I know Python.
Like a total moron I dived right in without knowing the slightest about programming. Luckily Ren’Py is pretty accessible and I’ve learned quite a bit from my experience, but there is a learning curve to say the least.

Now I just have to find a way to make my dialogue not sound like rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom