• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Watch FP5 be Hollow Knight.

Seen that coming did ya?
A good roundabout way to Verge-check that, and a few other indie titles while we're at it, would be to ask if the character is explicitly or implicitly genderless. (As opposed to male, female, or having discrete male and female character choices.)

...come to think of it, has Verge ever said he can't give out FP5's gender? It'd save people on here wanting a female rep a lot of grief.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Ok. So character, stage, mii (and sometimes mode) creation, balancing, negotiating with the third-parties, and then dealing with the composers and the company the trailers are outsourced to, but rescheduling a mii's release is the straw that breaks the camel's back, is it?

You sure you want to go with this argument?
The post-fighters thing is relatively recent. It’s only announced since they introduced Terry. In my opinion, Lloyd or at least one of Namco’s costumes would’ve been around in dlc pack 1, pack 2, or pack 3 if they did the rescheduling stuff because of the post-pass dlc.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Get your own sarcastic examples :p:p
Knowing absolutely nothing about DotA 2, I just went to the Heroes page and clicked a few images until I hit something with a proper name that looked like it would piss off the fanbase.

And it matched your sarcastic example.
This is a sign.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
A good roundabout way to Verge-check that, and a few other indie titles while we're at it, would be to ask if the character is explicitly or implicitly genderless. (As opposed to male, female, or having discrete male and female character choices.)

...come to think of it, has Verge ever said he can't give out FP5's gender? It'd save people on here wanting a female rep a lot of grief.
Verge doesn't know who the character is.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I just remembered that Capcom is a thing. Phoenix might actually be the front runner right now. Wild

D

Deleted member

Knowing absolutely nothing about DotA 2, I just went to the Heroes page and clicked a few images until I hit something with a proper name that looked like it would piss off the fanbase.

This is a sign.
If you really want to piss people off pick Sniper
It would have the same effect on the Smash fans and you would give the Dota 2 fans PTSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So there's a possibility that the 4chan person who said Phoenix Wright was FP5 and predicted Terry on November 6th is legit or a very good guesser.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Knowing Verge, I don't think he'd be that explicit. It's not like he wants to play Smash Bros. Guess Who? with us. He just relays the info he gets and gets the hell away since he associates with the Smash fanbase only as much as he has to.
Tehponycorn right now

c41c014d3328f2633e2663cb2e9407ce.jpg

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The post-fighters thing is relatively recent. It’s only announced since they introduced Terry. In my opinion, Lloyd or at least one of Namco’s costumes would’ve been around in dlc pack 1 or pack 3 if they did the rescheduling stuff because of the post-pass dlc.
More fighters were announced when they revealed Terry, which Sakurai said was filmed days after the Hero showcase, which, iirc, was filmed the month before it aired. So if they were confident enough to film the announcement in June, possibly before Hero & Banjo were even revealed, who knows when they actually made the internal plans for more. Probably much earlier.

You strike me as the type of person who thought Sakurai's "all the DLC characters have been chosen" tweet to mean they were chosen right then, in November of last year. Nine times out of ten, this stuff gets planned very far in advance.

Don't forget, Ultimate's base roster was decided before Smash 4's final characters were even out.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Okay
What is the actual ****ing point of telling someone that a character is the first fighter, have them not be the first fighter, then have them be in the game anyway?
Your logic is actually blowing my ****ing mind
I’m wacky person, and Sakurai is pretty damn wacky. It’s not necessary serious but it does consider the potential mindset of the person in charge.
Watch FP5 be Hollow Knight.

Seen that coming did ya?
I will kill for hollow knight.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

This is a sign.
That's amazing, I did the exact same thing last week during the Gordon saga. :joyful:

I guess we really are getting Meepo.

bobadz

Smash Ace
You guys really blindly believing two leakers who have very spotty histories? You do know it’s possible they are being misled right?

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Verge doesn't know who the character is.
Knowing Verge, I don't think he'd be that explicit. It's not like he wants to play Smash Bros. Guess Who? with us. He just relays the info he gets and gets the hell away since he associates with the Smash fanbase only as much as he has to.
Ah, well, it was worth a shot to ask about, I guess. I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Guys stop taking about Phoenix Wright and Sora, you know this thread is cursed and the more we talk about them, the more likely they are to be killed. So uhhh to change the topic, I think Fortnite Jonesy is pretty much a lock at this point, wouldn't yall agree?
I don't feel strongly about Jonesy but this thread needed a blood sacrifice and it was the only thing I could think of

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
As much as I want Reimu, my stance on her was always that she was one of candidates for DLC but not picked for the Fighters Pass but if Nintendo decides to do after pass DLC then she might get promoted.
So no, I don't think Reimu is FP5. I don't think Arle, my top want, or Sakura either at least for FP5.
I see Phoenix or Amaterasu, but I really can't tell. I think Amaterasu is more fitting for TGA just like Joker. I'm counting out Monster Hunter too for not new to the series mindset for the first DLC lineup. Sol, not a fan of 2 command input characters in a row.
KOS-MOS, sad not likely now, but still could see as Monolith rep, though I don't think so. Same goes for Dark Souls rep.
I can still think of some insane picks but I really don't know how to predict now.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Guys stop taking about Phoenix Wright and Sora, you know this thread is cursed and the more we talk about them, the more likely they are to be killed. So uhhh to change the topic, I think Fortnite Jonesy is pretty much a lock at this point, wouldn't yall agree?
I don't feel strongly about Jonesy but this thread needed a blood sacrifice and it was the only thing I could think of
You joke but Jonesy would actually be pretty cool.

RcS735

Smash Cadet
So what are the odds that Fighter 5 doesn't even have a support thread on this website?

D

Deleted member

I do wonder if there are actually many actual viable candidates left for Fighter 5, PW and Sora seem plausible but at the same time it just feels kinda weird we haven't heard more solid info in regards who is in if entire companies seem to be out of the competition so far. Would make a little bit more sense if we start hearing who is Fighter 5 in the next couple of days, that if Verge and/or Sabi didn't got bamboozled.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Looks like so far, the companies that haven't been deconfirmed for FP5 (that I know of and going off a list I found on reddit) are
  • Microsoft
  • Sony
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
  • Sega
  • Activison
  • EA
  • Valve
  • Nintendo
  • Spike Chunsoft
  • Arc System Works

Might as well rule several of them out for reasons (don't take these seriously, these are just my guesses)
  • Microsoft, Square Enix, and Sega can be ruled out since they already got their fighters (Banjo, Hero, and Joker respectively) and I don't think that a company would get 2 DLC fighters in the same pass (Post Pass, they likely will)
  • Valve can probably be excluded because they don't really have anything on a Nintendo system (if we are still going with that "must be on Nintendo" fan rule) and most of their stuff is usually on PC, Mobile, or VR with the occasional console port.
  • Activision can possibly be ruled out after that Overwatch event got canceled and just the general bad PR Activision is generating
  • EA can be ruled out because I'm pretty sure they hate Nintendo (either that or the consoles don't mesh well with EA's crap)
  • Sony can possibly be ruled out for a similar dislike for Nintendo (that one is more due to the SNES-CD thing unless things changed)
This leaves us with the following from that list
  • Capcom
  • Nintendo
  • Spike Chunsoft
  • Arc System Works

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You guys really blindly believing two leakers who have very spotty histories? You do know it’s possible they are being misled right?
Perhaps. But Vergeben's errors have been rather small compared to all the things he was right about, and because of personal off-site experiences I've had when discussing his track record, I just think it's best to not take his comments lightly.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I mean, if it isn't an Ace Attoreny rep., wouldn't it be better to have that bandaid ripped off now instead of being potentially disappointed at the VGA?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Looks like so far, the companies that haven't been deconfirmed for FP5 (that I know of and going off a list I found on reddit) are
  • Microsoft
  • Sony
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
  • Sega
  • Activison
  • EA
  • Valve
  • Nintendo
  • Spike Chunsoft
  • Arc System Works

Might as well rule several of them out for reasons (don't take these seriously, these are just my guesses)
  • Microsoft, Square Enix, and Sega can be ruled out since they already got their fighters (Banjo, Hero, and Joker respectively) and I don't think that a company would get 2 DLC fighters in the same pass (Post Pass, they likely will)
  • Valve can probably be excluded because they don't really have anything on a Nintendo system (if we are still going with that "must be on Nintendo" fan rule) and most of their stuff is usually on PC, Mobile, or VR with the occasional console port.
  • Activision can possibly be ruled out after that Overwatch event got canceled and just the general bad PR Activision is generating
  • EA can be ruled out because I'm pretty sure they hate Nintendo (either that or the consoles don't mesh well with EA's crap)
  • Sony can possibly be ruled out for a similar dislike for Nintendo (that one is more due to the SNES-CD thing unless things changed)
  • Capcom
  • Nintendo
  • Spike Chunsoft
  • Arc System Works
I would think Capcom was hurt by having the two Mii costumes and RE Spirits but that’s just me

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So what are the odds that Fighter 5 doesn't even have a support thread on this website?
Low. People make support threads the moment characters are announced just to say "I own x character's support thread!"

I'd be incredibly surprised if this were to happen.

bobadz

Smash Ace
You do know Verge's track record has been anything BUT spotty, right?
Perhaps. But Vergeben's errors have been rather small compared to all the things he was right about, and because of personal off-site experiences I've had when discussing his track record, I just think it's best to not take his comments lightly.

I agree but verge doesn’t have the best record outside of smash and with DLC. I’m just frustrated everyone seems take what he says as the gospel.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Don't worry, Phoenix Wright is no stranger to curses and the supernatural...

I mean, if it isn't an Ace Attoreny rep., wouldn't it be better to have that bandaid ripped off now instead of being potentially disappointed at the VGA?
Yeah, I'm really riding high on the Ace Attorney train right now... but if Fighter 5 is really not gonna be him, I'd rather hear it now than wait one or two weeks to find out the hard way.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I do wonder if there are actually many actual viable candidates left for Fighter 5, PW and Sora seem plausible but at the same time it just feels kinda weird we haven't heard more solid info in regards who is in if entire companies seem to be out of the competition so far. Would make a little bit more sense if we start hearing who is Fighter 5 in the next couple of days, that if Verge and/or Sabi didn't got bamboozled.
There are hundreds of potential characters, some much more likely than others. But we typically focus discussion on only a few candidates and that will likely lead to guesses being wrong.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
You joke but Jonesy would actually be pretty cool.
Honestly as long as I can do the entirety of the orange justice as one of his taunts, I would be more than happy to have him on board. I've spent more time memorizing Fortnite dances to annoy my friends than I'd like to admit, so being able to flex in-game would be the best.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
  • Microsoft
  • Sony
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
  • Sega
  • Activison
  • EA
  • Valve
  • Nintendo
  • Spike Chunsoft
  • Arc System Works

• Capcom
  • Nintendo
  • Spike Chunsoft
  • Arc System Works
I'd just stick with what's been ruled out by leakers. The fan rules that we make tend to be wrong more often then right.

I mean, Verge just deconfirmed Namco, despite that being what everyone wanted to talk about since E3.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I agree but verge doesn’t have the best record outside of smash and with DLC. I’m just frustrated everyone seems take what he says as the gospel.
When it comes to outside of Smash, Verge does have a spotty record.

But when it comes to Smash, clearly he has pretty good sources, since he's largely been correct with everything he's leaked (minus the Minecraft content, which is an exception because he trusted a bad person who was making **** up for attention).

BlackInk

Smash Lord
That’s what I’m suggesting too. Sakurai’s Pac-Man comments are driving me crazy with the potential lolling going on in the work place. Everyone is keen on knowing fighter #5 and ONLY fighter #5. Does no one realize how easy it is troll when everyone is looking for the same goal? They know what everyone is looking for and so they can booby trap it.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

View attachment 249131
A bit too late for that, it already became a guess who Game when Geno and Doom Guy got deconfirmed and even more so Lloyd.

PushDustin described how the community reacting to all these deconformations in the best way possible with this pic:
4EE10E61-0545-485F-A218-AD9E4E396040.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom